in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-04-2009 8:45 PM by Eugene. 28 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-02-2009 10:56 AM

What was your First Album?

Ive just fired up my Beogram 1200 after a good while of inactivity and put on an album. It just so happened to be the first album I ever bought. The Police, Reggata de Blanc. That may seem to be a cool album for a 6 year old in 1979 to buy but it was the fact that "Walking on the Moon" had space rockets in the video that made me buy it , that and imagining bouncing around the moon!

So, what was everyones first ever album purchase and do they still have it.

• 09-02-2009 11:05 AM In reply to

Re: What was your First Album?

beaker:

Ah, tough one!

As far as the first album that I actually went out and purchased myself...

I would have to guess: Blondie - Parallel Lines... I have no idea where it is!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 09-02-2009 11:22 AM In reply to

burantek:

beaker:

Ah, tough one!

As far as the first album that I actually went out and purchased myself...

I would have to guess: Blondie - Parallel Lines... I have no idea where it is!

LOL  Guilty as charged ....first albums I bought were : Blondie - Parallel Lines  and Pink Floyd's Dark side of the moon ..I can't remember which one of the two I bought first though ...just tooooooo long ago. 

• 09-02-2009 11:40 AM In reply to

I think it was Rainbow - Difficult To Cure. And I have no idea who has it now, either... wouldn't mind to give it a spin again actually.

-mika

• 09-02-2009 12:57 PM In reply to

No idea.

Thinking back my own record collection started around 1988-89 and I got a picture somewhere where I can see 4 albums being:

Metallica Ride the lightning. Still got it

Metallica Kill'em'all. Still got it

Iron Maiden Somewhere in time. Gone

Iron Maiden Seventh son of a seventh son. Gone

I also recall a record with different rap artist on it. Still got it. It's called Free Rap.

I do recall order the Jive Bunny and the mastermixers record around the time it came out. Got a better copy these days.

My sister gave me:

Mucky pop Boy in a mans world. Still got it

Mucky pop Now. Still got it.

First one must be based on my taste for music and I got into a bit of rap style back in 1987 when the first real Danish atempt came out.

I did not hear any heavy stuff untill the fall of 1989 so the Jive Bunny or Free rap could be one of them. I still dig that Jive Bunny record. Also my very first stereo with a recordplayer built in (crap) came around 1989. My collection of records took of from there.

• 09-02-2009 1:03 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

tournedos:

I think it was Rainbow - Difficult To Cure. And I have no idea who has it now, either... wouldn't mind to give it a spin again actually.

Bought with Christmas money - 1973.Embarrassed

edit: whoops forgot to add - gave all my vinyl to my son, I assume it's in there somewhere!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 09-02-2009 1:10 PM In reply to

Queen - Sheer Heart Attack - and I still have it! A bit crackly now though! 1974

• 09-02-2009 1:28 PM In reply to

I think it was Dead Kennedys Smile

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 09-02-2009 1:49 PM In reply to

I started to think about it and it looks like the winner is:

Coctail soundtrack which came out on vinyl august 1988. I dug through the collection and found it. I properly bought it because of the song Don't worry be happy by Bobby Mcferrin. It was a bit of a hit back then. I'm not sure when I bought this record but 1988-89 is possiple.

I also found the Technotronic Pump up the jam album which came with the Free Rap combilation reocord. I think those 2 came in the same packet from a store somewhere in late 1989.

I would say that they are the runners up.

• 09-02-2009 3:27 PM In reply to

DEEP PURPLE IN ROCK (what else?)

• 09-02-2009 3:37 PM In reply to

Elvis Presley---- A legendary Performer.

• 09-02-2009 3:42 PM In reply to

1967 my first purchase ...

I loved listening to the soundstage with headphones on, I was into the wonders of a stereo recording !

all my previous records were on shellac played on a hand cranked player that I had bought in a second hand shop for something like £1.00

and yes I still have the M&P album

Now do we need threads:

- My first CD ?

- My first iTunes ?

:-)

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 09-02-2009 3:59 PM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

The Animals - around '63 /'64 based on hearing The House of the Rising Sun - still got it and play it sort of regularly - then mother joined in - buying Beatles Lp's - she still doesn't understand but i think its now an age thing, she'e 83

T

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 09-02-2009 4:11 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

My first album was Europe; The Final Countdown. On vinyl.(1988; I was 8)

I don't have it any more.

My first CD was "The best of Harry Belafonte" (+/- 1990)

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 09-02-2009 4:39 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Either Beatle's Abbey Road or Led Zeppelin II... sometime round '77 or '78... I was 13 or 14...  I no longer have these... the Beatles LP was mis-cut, had a big lump on one side so it wasn't round, and I lost the LZ lp somewhere along the way... I did buy an "audiophile" version of LZ II a few years back and was surprized to see that the credits now show the R&B guys that "influenced" some of the songs (Howling Wolf and Willie Dixon according to Wikipeidia - unfortunately, my LP is packed away in a box right now.).

Stan

• 09-02-2009 6:52 PM In reply to

I bought Madness - One Step Beyond and Abba Greatest Hits Volume 2 on the same day in 1980 aged 15, it was singles only up until then.

Simon

• 09-02-2009 7:23 PM In reply to

• Matthew
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-01-2009
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

Madness here too. A 'best of' at the time (about '82-'83) "Complete Madness". Bought it for "House of Fun", of course not knowing what the lyrics were actually referring to as a 10 year old, but got to love all the other tracks including "One Step Beyond".

Matt

• 09-02-2009 9:40 PM In reply to

David Bowie, Aladdin Sane.  Should have seen the look on my dads face when I brought that one home!  Still have it though most of my albums now share time in frames are and hung on a wall in our game room. 

I really miss albums.  So many of them were works of art as well as fun to read. 

• 09-02-2009 10:22 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

beaker:

Ive just fired up my Beogram 1200 after a good while of inactivity and put on an album. It just so happened to be the first album I ever bought. The Police, Reggata de Blanc. That may seem to be a cool album for a 6 year old in 1979 to buy but it was the fact that "Walking on the Moon" had space rockets in the video that made me buy it , that and imagining bouncing around the moon!

Very interesting thread! Yes -  thumbs up Shouldn't it be moved to the "Music & Film" Forum?

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 09-02-2009 10:36 PM In reply to

Queen - Greatest Hits (1981). Bought every album from then since including all picture records and still have them to this day! Queen and ABBA are my two favourite groups of all time and I have all singles and albums released by both groups!

Simon.

• 09-02-2009 11:57 PM In reply to

Djordje Balasevic & Rani mraz - "Pesma Titu"

I still have it!

BS 1, BeoCom 2, 2x LC 2, Form 2,  BS 2, BS 3, 2x Beo 4, BS 5, BM 5, BL 5,Beo 6, BS 6, 2x A8, BV 8-40, BL 8000, 3x A9 Keyring, Serenata, BeoTime, BeoTalk 400

• 09-03-2009 3:37 AM In reply to

Michael Jackson, Thriller on tape. Still have it in my Beocord 4500.

• 09-03-2009 4:03 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

I hope some will find this interesting as the question posed raises a point from my musical history.

When I first became interested in music, I was also fascinated by recording music and sounds. Accordingly I bought a cheap reel to reel recorder. This was in the early 1960s and at that time some albums were released simultaneously on vinyl and reel to reel tape. The latter came in boxes about 15cm square and had the same album front and rear covers as the larger vinyl albums. I built up quite a collection and I think my first was The Beatles 'Please Please Me' album although it just might have been The Shadows' first album of 1961.

A major drawback was trying to select a particular track to listen to as this required fast forwarding and rewinding the tape until the start of the track was found!

When I got my first 'stereo' record system, I moved on to vinyls of course and as most people now owned a record player of some type, the tapes were dropped and became unavailable. Remember in the very early 60s, the compact cassette had yet to be introduced.

• 09-03-2009 4:22 AM In reply to

• andy
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • weston-super(!)-mare
    • Posts 123
    • Founder

not my first album but i did have reggate de blanc on double 10" album...lol...no idea why !, first album...hmmm.....probably an elton john one, "goodbye yellow brick road" maybe...

andy

• 09-03-2009 2:27 PM In reply to

• beowhit
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brompton, Kent
    • Posts 26
    • Founder

beaker:
    It just so happened to be the first album I ever bought. The Police, Reggata de Blanc. That may seem to be a cool album for a 6 year old in 1979 to buy but it was the fact that "Walking on the Moon" had space rockets in the video that made me buy it , that and imagining bouncing around the moon!

That was the first album I got as a present. The first one I purchased was Kings of the Wild Frontier by Adam and the Ants. I still have both albums, and copies are in the CD player in the car.

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >