in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-07-2009 10:16 AM by Carolpa. 89 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (90 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-04-2009 10:32 PM In reply to

Re: BV7 Beosystem 3 Limitations

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 09-05-2009 3:53 AM In reply to

Integrated Blu-ray* player

The standard DVD optical drive is replaced with an optional built-in Blu-ray drive in BeoVision 7-40. The fact that you can select a solution where the Blu-ray player is built-in is rather unique and Bang & Olufsen is one of the very few suppliers that offers that.

The Blu-ray player in BeoVision 7-40 includes the so-called BD Live feature (profile 2.0) which gives you a range of extra interactive possibilities via internet (additional material – film trailers etc).

*The name Blu-ray Disc is derived from the blue laser (violet-colored) used to read and write to this type of disc. In part because of the shorter wavelength (405 nanometres), substantially more data can be stored on a Blu-ray Disc than on a DVD.

Sound wise the Blu-ray player in BeoVision 7-40 supports the following formats: Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Digital + 7.1, Dolby Digital True HD 7.1, DTS 5.1, LPCM 7.1. Blu-ray discs with DTS HD 7.1 or DTS HD Master 7.1 will be decoded as DTS 5.1

Peter Pan
  • 09-05-2009 4:59 AM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

ahhh but dont forget the player built in has an internet conenction but the upgrade for the MK3 does not have ethernet connection.

Beovision 7 MKIV (Blu Ray)
    Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 09-05-2009 6:16 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

It must seem odd even to Razlaw that here we have the latest BV7 with its inbuilt BR that costs £1000 and the BV7 cannot reproduce DTSMA!!- even the latest variant.

Never mind the solution apparently is to buy another blue ray for £190 to plug into the back of your £11000 BV7 and hey ho- all is well and you get everything!!! i wonder why  B&O designed it so??

• 09-05-2009 6:49 AM In reply to

Can the built-in Blu-Ray player in the BV7 output audio signal as PCM? If not, HD sound is surely not possible on BV7 BL

It doesn't depend on the price for a PS3. PS3'S r&d costs are many times higher than B&O's revenue! And Sony doesn't make money with a PS3 unit, either...

The only question is what the BS3 does with the incoming, before decoded PCM signal.

• 09-05-2009 6:54 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

B&O just buy inthe unit- they dont develop it! they can buy any off the shelf solution- just as we do

• 09-05-2009 7:07 AM In reply to

355f:

It must seem odd even to Razlaw that here we have the latest BV7 with its inbuilt BR that costs £1000 and the BV7 cannot reproduce DTSMA!!- even the latest variant.

Never mind the solution apparently is to buy another blue ray for £190 to plug into the back of your £11000 BV7 and hey ho- all is well and you get everything!!! i wonder why  B&O designed it so??

You don't understand ***!

So shut up!

Yesterday you moved heaven and hell that HD audio on a BS3/BV7 was not possible! Now you brag like its your knowledge!

Your sole purpose is to discredit B&o and its products!!!!!!

• 09-05-2009 7:11 AM In reply to

Hi raveny,

Actually it does output multichannel PCM. The Bluray player is HDMI connected. So if you have a BV7-40 mkIV with a BR player you will actually only have 3 HDMI connection.

The same happens if you upgrade a BV7 mkIII.

The point is B&o has chosen to install a BR-player with a decoder which can not decode the DTS HD format. If you play a disc with this format you will get DTS (you know the normal lossy format)

• 09-05-2009 7:28 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

I am supportive of B&O products. My purpose is to inform and impart some of my experience in the electronics business having manufactured for most of the leading brands for some 8 years. B&O could have easily come up with better solutions.

There is so much to learn and its comforting I can come to you for your technical expertise.

Clearly bit of a language problem here- lets leave it at that

• 09-05-2009 7:41 AM In reply to

ok I see

I looked at BV7 homepage and Dolby True HD is listed. Since True HD is a lossless format everythings fine?! But DTS HD is the better sound format...

12-page discussion about whether BS3 can output HD audio or not was needless

• 09-05-2009 8:02 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

raveny:

Can the built-in Blu-Ray player in the BV7 output audio signal as PCM? If not, HD sound is surely not possible on BV7 BL

Correct. You have to listen to standard Dolby Digital 5.1 on a DTS HD Blu-ray ! ie. the same audio you'd get on a SD DVD.

It is outrageous. Can you imagine paying £1000 to upgrade to the Blu-ray drive, buying a Blu-ray and then finding your TV can't decode the HD audio - one of the primary reasons for buying a Blu-ray !

I say 'can you imagine'. I did! :(

• 09-05-2009 8:24 AM In reply to

Peter Pan:

Integrated Blu-ray* player

The standard DVD optical drive is replaced with an optional built-in Blu-ray drive in BeoVision 7-40. The fact that you can select a solution where the Blu-ray player is built-in is rather unique and Bang & Olufsen is one of the very few suppliers that offers that.

The Blu-ray player in BeoVision 7-40 includes the so-called BD Live feature (profile 2.0) which gives you a range of extra interactive possibilities via internet (additional material – film trailers etc).

*The name Blu-ray Disc is derived from the blue laser (violet-colored) used to read and write to this type of disc. In part because of the shorter wavelength (405 nanometres), substantially more data can be stored on a Blu-ray Disc than on a DVD.

Sound wise the Blu-ray player in BeoVision 7-40 supports the following formats: Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Digital + 7.1, Dolby Digital True HD 7.1, DTS 5.1, LPCM 7.1. Blu-ray discs with DTS HD 7.1 or DTS HD Master 7.1 will be decoded as DTS 5.1

Peter Pan

Thanks for the excellent chart of the capabilities of the various versions of HDMI. It clearly states that all versions of HDMI support LPCM, which why  and how the BV7/BSIII can play Dolby True-HD and DTS HD MA when connected to an acceptable Blu-Ray player that internally decodes those formats into LPCM and sends it to the BV7/BSIII. As the language from B and O's web page quoted herein earlier states specifically that the BV7/BSIII supports LPCM. Unfortunately, if one chooses to use B and O's built in player, rather than an external one such as the PS3, only Dolby True HD will function fully, because of the choice of player.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 09-05-2009 8:28 AM In reply to

duplicate

• 09-05-2009 8:32 AM In reply to

deleted

• 09-05-2009 9:05 AM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

Hi

I am going to buy the BD60 as i could buy 4 Blu Ray players for the cost of the Internal player.

I understnad the the PUC for BD55 will control the BD60 but what about the DMP-BD60EB-K

Is that ok as there are extra letters on it.

Also

How do i disable the on board DVD i have changed it to disabled in the config menu but it will not save the changes when i assign DVD to another AV port

Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 09-05-2009 9:24 AM In reply to

I do not know how to disable it. I assigned the Blue-Ray to V. Aux and thus have access to both the internal DVD and the external Blue-Ray.

• 09-05-2009 10:41 AM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

i have disabled my internal DVD player i had to remove the power and then internal DVD was disabled.

Next question all is hooked up and PUC BD55 is set up

What are the Beo4 keys for the PUC???

Got it its Go up, Go Down, Go Forward and Go Back.

Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 09-05-2009 12:03 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

no everything isnt fine there is  agreat deal of difference between true hd and DTSMA!!  so it was not  aneedless discussion the bv7 and bs3 do not support it

What we found when connecting a system that could deliver DTSMA was a huge diference compared to what the BS3 could offer and further tests reveal it is not supported.

If you fell that by buying a third party machine that decodes internally you are getting the new codecs with BS3 good for you! im afraid you are mistaken.

This brings us neatly onto the new BV7  the cost of a BR and supporting hardware to decode dts ma is about $50.00 at wholsale- why did the new BV7 not support the new codecs?? the anser is clear, bs3 needs modification and its not software!

• 09-05-2009 12:09 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

come on if that was the case B&O would have simply purchased the dvd module that allows DTSMA for use in the BV7!!

Common sense dictates there is more to it than that.

• 09-05-2009 12:17 PM In reply to

355f:

It does not seem nearly as odd to me as the fact that you profess to be an all knowing expert yet not too long ago you started a thread to ask how to connect a Blue-Ray player as apparently connecting one was beyond your expertise.

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/2935/139810.aspx#139810

• 09-05-2009 12:48 PM In reply to

Razlaw:

355f:

It does not seem nearly as odd to me as the fact that you profess to be an all knowing expert yet not too long ago you started a thread to ask how to connect a Blue-Ray player as apparently connecting one was beyond your expertise.

Hi Razlaw,

Ignore him! I get even the impression that he writes to himself.

First the BV7/BS3 is crap because it has no HDMI 1.3. to listen HD audio and it is in his opinon nessessary! Than suddenly the BR player is crap because you can with a cheap BR-player listen to HD audio with a BS3/BV7. And now the BS3 needs a hardware revision ect. ect. much blah,blah, blah,..............................

As a said before: a roaring silence.

He has a sole purpose: descredit B&o and their products. If he is ignored, than he has no ammunition to fire at us. For sure he has no relevant arguments.

• 09-05-2009 12:52 PM In reply to

Agreed LOL  

• 09-05-2009 12:52 PM In reply to

Seanie:

i have disabled my internal DVD player i had to remove the power and then internal DVD was disabled.

Seanie,

press MENU on your Beo4. You will see an overlay appear on the left side. If you press the color or the number buttons you will get the function listed

• 09-05-2009 1:16 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

This is becoming quite wearisome!

Razlaw believes that everything transmitted to the BS3 in LPCM format is played without modification while 355F believes he has reason to think that all is not as it seems. There has been no new information in this thread beyond that presented in the previous epic on the same subject.

There seems little likelyhood of this been settled to everyone's satisfaction anytime soon and so, as the thread seems to be becoming slightly personal, I suggest everyone concerned agrees to disagree and leaves it at that.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 09-05-2009 1:20 PM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

Carolpa:

Seanie:

Seanie,

press MENU on your Beo4. You will see an overlay appear on the left side. If you press the color or the number buttons you will get the function listed

tank you very much i foudn those now.

i had the Ps3 before and i notice that the video is a little blurrey at times, is there a setting that i need to change

when i press display with a film on under Disk Signal Type i get VC1

Most of the time the image is perfect but sometimes scenes that are out of main focus are a little grainey / blured.

am i missing a setting?

Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

Page 3 of 4 (90 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >