in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-07-2009 10:16 AM by Carolpa. 89 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (90 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-04-2009 4:18 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Re: BV7 Beosystem 3 Limitations

I would not draw the conclusion its a pile of junk!!

When used in the bv4/9 context it forms probably one of the better combinations for quality video. Short of getting the panasonic commercial  plasma and a top line processor- which is still regarded by those in the know as being one of the best combinations for quality video.

On the receiver side it does lack the true potential but one has to consider if you really need it and secoondly how often does one whatch blue ray that has these advanced audio features anyway?

If one really needs them the bs3 is not for you

• 09-04-2009 4:27 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Mox - of course this now begs another question.

The cost of making a BR player that can decode dtsma ect represents a 10% uplift.

Given that this solution is available to everyone including Alba- why didnot B&O include it- could it be something to do with BS3 that would mean internal chamnges there to????

• 09-04-2009 4:43 AM In reply to

Seanie:

thanks for all your interesting replies and i will go and buy the BD60 as i need a player anyway.

edit:

Also i have conculeded that the BS3 is a pile of Junk that cannot be upgraded and it just a old fasioned AMP.

No upgrade for HDMI 1.3

As normal were expected to wiat and spend another 9K on a BV

Not in this lifetime

don't let you be misguided!

goto

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/kb.aspx

select Catagory: Audio

select: Q. Do I need v1.3 HDMI to hear the new Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master HD audio content on HD-DVD or Blu-ray players?

this is the oficial site of the HDMI organisation

• 09-04-2009 5:09 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

the HDMI org is the body that represents the interests of those that use HDMI in their applications. They wish to further hdmi as a communications method.

In an ideal world what they describe in the website is reality- BUT the world is not ideal- it depends how the product was engineered in the first instance == thereare many cases where there is not reverse compatability im afraid. Al;though its probbaly true to say that with mainstream brands they have tested that is works- B&O have not!

• 09-04-2009 5:29 AM In reply to

hi 355f

for somebody opposing this, your arguments are short of content

for somebody manufacturing bs3 you seem not to happy with your work because you do not identify yourself with the products you are making

and now a conspirancy theory?

Even if you would have it right, I'm very satisfied with the capabilities of the BS3 and the way I can listen to LPCM, DD TrueHD, DTS HD MA, MLP, DSD...................................

cherio

• 09-04-2009 5:41 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Firstly let me make it clear I do not make BS3!! we do however make BR for many leading brands - many of the models mentioned in this post included.

There is no conspiracy theory I am just trying to relate the facts as i know them so that individuals are not misguided- if you feel you are listening to it god for you! it will save the costs of upgrading!

• 09-04-2009 6:20 AM In reply to

355f:
    if you feel you are listening to it god for you! it will save the costs of upgrading!

Why upgrade?

1. this is not possible!

2. and I do not need to!

355f,

if I am wrong, I have no problem to admit this, but I need arguments?

What in your opinion are the containers DD TrueHD, DTS HD MA and/or MPL (same question as before)?

Why is decoding in a player different then in a soundprocessor?

Is there any difference in (multichannel) PCM send to a soundprocessor by a player in comparison to the (multichannel) PCM after a internal decoder in a soundprocessor? note: PCM is a industrial standard!

Why must I have HDMI v1.3 to listen to DD TrueHD and/or DTS HD MA?

etc. etc?

• 09-04-2009 7:21 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

look through the previous postings on this- I believe it was one of the longest threads on beoworld.

That will answer most of your questions.

In answer to your question ' why must i have hdmi 1.3 to lsten to DTSMA  as I stated before you dont!

If the player decodes it then it is possible in theory that an hdmi 1.1 receiver will produce the sound - intheory!  in practise it depends how the circuitry was confirgured and what takes place to ensure the correct handshake proceedures and what downconversion there is.

We know that the NEW bv7 does not decode it!

The bs3 does not im afraid

Taking of standards and specs- look at any receiver and the specs clearly indicate what the unit is capable of outputting given the correct connected source- have a look at the tech specs for BS3!

• 09-04-2009 7:33 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

355f:

We know that the NEW bv7 does not decode it!

The BV7-40 MKIV, with Blu-ray player, doesn't. As I said, B&O say on their own website that DTS HD isn't supported by the MKIV, even if the Blu-ray disc uses DTS HD.

• 09-04-2009 7:40 AM In reply to

after the handshake with my players the BS3 unit reports that the incomming signal is: Multichannel PCM, as is the output signal!

and you're again taking about "not decode it". What? Multichannel PCM? DD TrueHD? DTS HD MA?

Did you ever try a DVD Audio HDMI connected to a BS3 or a Bluray player with DD TrueHD/DTS HD MA yourself? You still gave no additional argument to the point.

• 09-04-2009 7:58 AM In reply to

moxxey:

Razlaw:

My memory serves me well as I have confirmed by re=reading the threads. There are, exactly as I said, emails from B and O confirming that DTS and Dolby HD work

No Razlaw - the BV7-40 MKIV can't, internally, through it's own Blu-ray player support some of these audio formats, such as DTS HD. It states this on the B&O website! :) This implies neither the BV7-40 nor the BS3 can decode this audio stream.

However, if your player (ie. PS3) decodes it for the BS3, then outputs this as a PCM stream, it's supported. Please get your facts right and stop quoting vague 'it's supported'. It's not. I own the BV7-40 MKIV and the internal Blu-ray player doesn't support DTS HD. B&O confirmed.

From the site "Sound wise the Blu-ray player in BeoVision 7-40 supports the following formats: Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Digital + 7.1, Dolby Digital True HD 7.1, DTS 5.1, LPCM 7.1. Blu-ray discs with DTS HD 7.1 or DTS HD Master 7.1 will be decoded as DTS 5.1".

Once the player is upgraded to support DTS HD, then the player will decode and pass it to the BV7, through the HDMI cable, as a PCM stream or similar.

At no time did I say that the BV7 decodes DTS HD. What I have said is exactly what Carolpa says, as he is exactly correct.

1. BV7 and BS3 do not decode either DTS HD or Dolby Tru HD

2. BV7 with optional Blu Ray player does Decode Dolby Tru HD but NOT DTS HD (If I am correct this player connects via an external HDMI just as any other blu-ray player.

3. DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD can be decoded by either a Blu-Ray player or in a receiver.   They are both ways of compressing and packaging PCM.

4. If a Blu-Ray player decodes either of the formats it outputs PCM which the BV7 supports (onscreen menu lists it and as the quote you cited states "7.1 LPCM")

5. Connecting a BluRay player that decodes either or both of the two formats will send a PCM signal via HDMI 1.1 to the BV7 which will then play the sound, allowing the listener to hear either format through the BV7. Thus, with an appropriate player doing the decoding, BV7 "supports" both formats. B and O has sent emails to various posters in earlier threads stating exactly that.

Maybe I missread your post, as you apparently missread mine, but how is what I am saying different than what you are saying?

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 09-04-2009 8:07 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

send this question to B&O technical!

Can you confirm that bs3 is capable of outputting DTSMA and similar codecs when so connected to a BR player that is capable of internal decoding of same.

Can you also confirm that no downconversion takes place .

Then post the reply from B&O technical on here.

While you are at it why not ask why the latest BV7 which has the bs3 as its base will not decode these formats!!

• 09-04-2009 8:11 AM In reply to

duplicate

• 09-04-2009 8:11 AM In reply to

Carolpa:

after the handshake with my players the BS3 unit reports that the incomming signal is: Multichannel PCM, as is the output signal!

and you're again taking about "not decode it". What? Multichannel PCM? DD TrueHD? DTS HD MA?

Did you ever try a DVD Audio HDMI connected to a BS3 or a Bluray player with DD TrueHD/DTS HD MA yourself? You still gave no additional argument to the point.

Carolpa, you are wasting your time asking 355f to provide any facts for his position. In other threads I repeatedly asked him to do so as well as asking him to provide some published article to prove his point, in other words a source other than himself. He has never done this. Everything you have stated is exactly correct and thank you for the articles you have listed. There are many other similar articles but I have yet to see one that supports 355f's position.  

Here is another article..........http://www.abccables.com/info-hdmi-1-3-truehd.html  from another source.  

• 09-04-2009 9:59 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

you dont need me to confirm it!! send a mail to B&O they make it!

The responses we had before were not satisfactory as you will recal.

Another particular feature of HDMI 1.3 is its backwards compatibility with HDMI 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2. However, components will not always be universally compatible because the feature was recently defined in the newer release. For those components that are backwards compatible, they will function nicely together since most testing labs have worked to make sure that HDCP plays nicely within each component and they are in most cases compatible with one another.

• 09-04-2009 11:18 AM In reply to

355f:

Can you confirm that bs3 is capable of outputting DTSMA and similar codecs when so connected to a BR player that is capable of internal decoding of same.

While you are at it why not ask why the latest BV7 which has the bs3 as its base will not decode these formats!!

355f

You don't read or do not understand what is said before!

I doubt you'll understand the issue; you talk a lot but say nothing; a roaring silence

• 09-04-2009 11:30 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

please look backover the previous thread about this then it might be clearer to you.

I think the problem is that you are taking as gospel the reverse compatability or hdmi 1.1-1.3 and that from a manufacturing point of view in the real world is wrong im afraid. It would seem that nothing I can say will change your resolve so lets just beg to differ.

Enjoy your DTS MA !

• 09-04-2009 12:43 PM In reply to

Razlaw:

Carolpa, you are wasting your time asking 355f to provide any facts for his position. In other threads I repeatedly asked him to do so as well as asking him to provide some published article to prove his point, in other words a source other than himself. He has never done this. Everything you have stated is exactly correct and thank you for the articles you have listed. There are many other similar articles but I have yet to see one that supports 355f's position.  

Here is another article..........http://www.abccables.com/info-hdmi-1-3-truehd.html  from another source.  

Hi Razlaw,

Your presumably right!

But we have exactly the same opinion about this issue!

greetings

• 09-04-2009 12:49 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

I would not get satisfaction from the blind leading the blind

get it from B&O technical rather than a few things picked up on the internet

• 09-04-2009 12:52 PM In reply to

Sorry 355f,

In the Kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed-man is king! And guess, this is me!

• 09-04-2009 1:30 PM In reply to

Carolpa:

Sorry 355f,

In the Kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed-man is king! And guess, this is me!

Well said!  

• 09-04-2009 1:35 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:

Maybe I missread your post, as you apparently missread mine, but how is what I am saying different than what you are saying?

Apologies from me then - I thought you were implying that B&O stated that the BS3 did 'support' DTS HD. Unfortunately as a MKIV owner, they state that DTS HD is not supported with the internal £1000 Blu-ray player. I'd be better using the PS3 !

• 09-04-2009 1:42 PM In reply to

moxxey:

Razlaw:

Apologies from me then - I thought you were implying that B&O stated that the BS3 did 'support' DTS HD. Unfortunately as a MKIV owner, they state that DTS HD is not supported with the internal £1000 Blu-ray player. I'd be better using the PS3 !

Thanks!

• 09-04-2009 2:12 PM In reply to

355f:

Aren't those first two questions the exact questions that were asked of B and O and answered by B and O in a  post from the  thread entitled "Re: Dolby True HD-Question for 355F"? The date and time of the post are August 14th, 2008 at 8:27am?

• 09-04-2009 10:26 PM In reply to

No!

Run away!!!!!! Run far far away!!!! 355f v. Razlaw rematch! NOOOOOOOO! The BeoWorld servers will be torn asunder as the thread's pages reach into the triple digits! Information will become more blurred. Reality itself will become uncertain. We will all be sucked into the void! Lock the thread! There is no hope!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

Page 2 of 4 (90 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >