in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-05-2009 10:20 AM by TWG. 27 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-25-2009 4:31 PM

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Beosound 5: Red Led is blinking, system does NOT react and other issues with that unit ...

Good evening,

I listened to some music on the BS 5, switched it off, left home.

When I came home and wanted to start, nothing happens and I saw the red LED on the BS 5 blinking. When I press the power switch on the Beomaster 5 and the indicator Led on the Beomaster 5 switches from green to red the red LED on the Beosound 5 still blinks!
    The same happened to me yesterday.
    After rebooting the unit is normal ... but how long? What's wrong with it?

Other issue:
    My BS 5 doesn't wake up when everytime when I press N.Music or N.Radio; the BS 3000 starts, some seconds after this the Beolabs (connected to the BS 3000) switch on but I don't hear anything from the BS 5.
    I have to reboot the system again.

Actualy I'm not happy with those issues. I have a 200 Euro Audiosystem in the kitchen that works like it should but a 5000 Euro system is not able to behave like it should?

I think B&O should have installed the main components and a proprietary operating system into a flash rom and not that windows based crap :-(
    Sorry, but actualy I'm realy in a bad mood about this!

Configuration: Beosound 3000 with Beolabs (Audiomaster, Option 1) connected via ML to the Beomaster/Beosound 5 (No Audiomaster).

• 06-25-2009 6:43 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Re: Beosound 5: Red Led is blinking, system does NOT react and other issues with that unit ...

The blinking red light means the BS5/BM5 is waking up (or potentially rebooting).  When you leave the BM5 idle for some time (not sure how long it takes), it goes to sleep (assuming it's not connected wirelessly via a wireless USB link).  It takes 10-20 secs for it to wake-up from this state.  This can seem like a long time when you're waiting for the music to start.  The "power button" on the BM5 is really a reset switch (the only way to fully turn off the BM5 is to unplug it).  The fact that the light was green before you pressed the reset button probably means you were just not patient enough.  That is, it was just waking up (green means OK), but you reset it before it could fully awake.

I have a similar setup (but BS9000 instead of BS3000, no TV) so I'll keep an eye out for what you describe (I've only had mine a couple days, but have had no problems so far).

Actually, I think/guess/hope the windows based crap is stored in rom... otherwise, I think they'd have to be more careful about that reset switch.

Stan

• 06-26-2009 5:06 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Re: Beosound 5: Red Led is blinking, system does NOT react and other issues with that unit ...

Hi Stan,

thanks for your reply and congratulations to your Beosound 5.

The problem is that the red Led blinked when I came home, so nobody operated the BS 5. So I can't understand why he tries to wake up when nobody is there. I waited about 5 minutes before I decided to reset or shut down the unit.

By the way: If you keep the reset switch pressed, the unit shuts off/down and the Led on the back goes red (you can hear the harddrive stop spinning).

But I keep watching it if the unit just tries to wake up  or if there's s.th. wrong. I hope its just lazy while waking up ;)

• 06-26-2009 5:49 AM In reply to

Maybe BS5/BM5 was doing a software update!?

Mine allso reboots by itself sometimes (appr. once a week don't know eksactly why). I can see it in the log files on the harddrive. Last time was 22-june 6:00

So if you got home 10 minutes later you might then have missed the actionBig Smile

The switch on BM5 is like an ordenary power button on your PC, can be set up to reboot/sleep/power off, if you hold it down BM5 switches of instantly, leaving XP normaly to do a diskscan on next boot.

• 06-26-2009 6:45 AM In reply to

Hi,

My Beosound 5 was doing exactly the same thing when I returned home last night, I had assumed that as it checks for siftware updates every Thursday morning at about 4.00 am, it had become confused when re-booting.

Interesting that both of us had the same problem, but it is working perfectly (as far as I am aware) so I'm not concerened.

regards

Paul

• 06-27-2009 8:39 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

TWG:

Actualy I'm not happy with those issues. I have a 200 Euro Audiosystem in the kitchen that works like it should but a 5000 Euro system is not able to behave like it should?

The two big BS5/BM5 problems I experience are:

1) The BM5 seems to lose the ability to be controlled from my Beo4 remote, so I have to manually reboot the BM5 and then it's fine

2) The BM5 sometimes, but rarely, shows the BS5 interface on my TV, rather than the BM5. Again, uncontrollable via the remote. However, the BS5 remains manually controllable.

My BM5 is connected to my BV7-40, which is then connected to speakers.

I'm 50/50 over my BS/BM5 at the moment. Does some good things and shows promise, but can be inconsistent and was very expensive for what it does.

• 07-10-2009 7:24 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

status update:

yesterday I heard internetradio for a few hours, then switched the BS 5 off.
    In the late evening I wanted to listen to some music, touched the controller and the unit starts blinking. I decided to listen to a CD and didn't touch the BS 5 anymore.

This morning I checked the BS 5 in the living room and it was still blinking.
    After rebooting it twice the system worked. 

I'm feeling 50/50, too on the Beosound 5.
    In terms of reliability it seems like a pure impertinence from Bang & Olufsen to deliver such a product to a customer! What do you do with a custom install? You have to run in the basement everytime, locate the Beomaster 5, power it off and reboot again? But not for this price! I'm gonna have some bad mood Wink

• 07-10-2009 9:41 AM In reply to

Been reading this thread with interest, my BM/BS5 has been doing this since install some Months ago. I have had the BM5 swapped and whilst it seems slightly more reliable it still exhibits these lock ups with the red LED flashing every now and then

I have found some consistency in reproducing the problem. It appears to occur when the link between the host PC and the BM5 is lost. I have managed to reproduce the problem a number of times by rebooting the host PC and also it occured when my router needed to be rebooted

The problem has been reported to B&O and they do not seem to have any ideas how to resolve

Steve

• 07-10-2009 4:14 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Wow, it's funny to read how many symptoms my machine has. I don't know if I should be proud about that Big Smile

But the question is:
    Should I annoy my dealer to service the unit while B&O still doesn't seem to have a solution!?
    On the other side: It can't be that a 5000 Euro unit is that worse ...  it is embarassing to reboot the unit when you have friends at home just to listen music!

• 07-13-2009 7:27 AM In reply to

I think the more of us that demand a resolution to this from our dealers the better. It will add pressure to Struer to understand and remedy the problem. So far I am being told by B&O that its only me experiencing the issue

I agree its embarrasing to have to reboot the unit, especially as my BM5 is on a different floor of the house to me BS5. Doesnt look too good when we have friends round admiring the BS5 to have to disapear upstairs when I want to demo it to them

My wife has also lost all faith in the BS5, I was on a business trip recently and when I got back the unit was blinking and my wife said "Oh yes it always does that, I dont use it any more"

Cheers

Steve

• 07-13-2009 7:45 AM In reply to

Just one thought that crossed my mind, when I ordered  my Beosound 5  I specified 9 metre cables, the USB lead came with a 4 metre cable and a powered extension lead, when fitting the units in thier final position I found that I really only needed 5 metres, so replaced the powered extension lead with a shorter 1.5m non-powered one.

This caused the red light on my Beosound 5 to start blinking, every day I would return from work to find the red light blinking and the Beomaster 5 on, despite having checked in the morning before I left that it was in standby.

As soon as I swapped the unpowered USB extension lead back to the original powered one it stopped, and I havent had the 'blinking' problem again since.

Have you extended the USB lead by using a non-powered version?

regards

Paul

• 07-13-2009 8:20 AM In reply to

Just to throw my hand in....

I had a similar problem (blinking red LED) but knew that the cause of this was (by virtue of the reboot message on the screen). I live in a country where the voltage is not stabilised particularly well 230V +/1  50V sometimes. I found that I could not play my BS5 between 5 and 8 at night when people were arriving home and blasting their homes with aircon.

The solution was to (and did this for all my gear) was to put the whole house on a voltage stabiliser. No problems since - even in rush hour.

It may be that the BM5 is very sensitive to voltage change (some of you are in European and N.American countries where this should not be a problem). However, as a suggestion, it may be worth checking (goes into a protection mode or something prior to a reboot).

10%

• 07-13-2009 8:21 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

I have 11m USB cable. 4,5m cable and 4,5m extension, powered. I added a 2m non-powered extension cable.

No problems at all.

Stefan

• 07-13-2009 8:26 AM In reply to

Thanks Paul,

This is really useful info, my setup is using the 9 metre official B&O powered lead but it still may be relevant as it may be a faulty cable ?

Managed to reproduce the fault again last night by powering on and off my router even though the router only provides a gateway function to the internet (The rest of the LAN is connected to a managed switch so the link between the host PC and BM5 would not have been disturbed)

Will talk with my dealer and get them to supply me a new set of USB cables

Cheers

Steve

• 07-13-2009 6:45 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Good morning,

I'm using the original 4m cables supplied by my dealer.

Internetradio works but I'm trying to do the softwareupdate since 3 days. Unit says "Checking for new software, download 0% completed" and than nothing happens. It stays at 0% for hours.

When I switch back to N.Music oder N.Radio it switches back to the software update view ...

I think I will contact my dealer after my night shift ... this is not a product this is a condition!

• 07-16-2009 9:06 AM In reply to

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

Hi TWG

How is your unit networked? Wired, Wireless, Ethernet over mains?

Regards

StUrrock

• 07-16-2009 12:44 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Hi StUrrock,

I've tested both: Wireless Lan and LAN (Ethernet).

The mysterious thing: Internetradio works, so the network is ok.

I'll contact my dealer next week and let you all know. 

• 07-17-2009 4:45 AM In reply to

• KibitoCH
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-19-2009
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 82
    • Bronze Member

Hey all

Do you have Masterlink connected to your Beomaster 5?

i got this official Note from Danmark:

No startup after standby and only blinking LED on BeoSound 5 (088724)

Symptom:

After standby the BeoSound 5 cannot be waked up. No navigation

click sounds when operating the wheel, no backlight on BeoSound

5. No signal on TV. Only blinking LED on BeoSound 5 (two blinks

a second).

Deadline:

High priority case. We will try to find a solution as fast as we

possibly can

Work-around:

Remove any keyboards attached and ground the Master Link or

antenna.

Reconnect to the mains and start up.

I just dont know what they mean by grounding the Masterlink.. Ground a Pin to the Beomaster somewhere?? Will keep you updated after i found out.

EDIT: It seems you have to Connect the Ground from 230V Power to the Masterlink Ground. I havent been able to test it yet though.

• 07-17-2009 5:45 AM In reply to

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

Have you chesked for any conflicting ip addressess?

• 07-17-2009 1:39 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

The BS 5 is masterlinked to a BS 3000 (with N.Music update).

I have no keyboard connected, only my Asus Ethernet-WLAN-Adapter via Ethernet + USB for Powersupply to the Asus-Adapter. Works perfect and my BS 5 had all the problems BEFORE I decided to go wireless with this adapter.

Yesterday I made a "Recovery" through the service menu. After that the software update worked as it should.

Listened to some music, switched it off via remote. Tried to turn it on again a few hours later: No sound output no matter what function I choosed via remote (N.Radio / N.Music). Now the unit keeps blinking even after I held the power button pressed till it switched off. Beomaster LED is red not green and the BS 5 Led keeps blinking red.

I have no luck with this toy. 

• 07-17-2009 11:45 PM In reply to

just another thing to try.....

In service mode, what are the Windows eXP Power settings? Is the thing going to sleep (HDD, monitor) and can these be changed in eXP

Would swithcing the power settings to "never" improve the situation?

I dont have access to mine at the moment.

10%

• 07-18-2009 3:09 AM In reply to

• KibitoCH
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-19-2009
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 82
    • Bronze Member

Spoke again with B&O Technical Support. Take the Power Ground and connect it to the backside of the Beomaster 5 Unit. You can twist it around a screw and tighten it. Make sure to scratch off some of the Units Case Paint unter the screw so it makes contact.

Befor you do this you may also try to disconnect Masterlink at the Beomaster 5 to see if the above fix will work.

• 07-19-2009 7:04 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

The harddrive does not spin down, it's running all the time.

And now, don't do this at home kids ;-)

Yesterday I connected a wire from the ground of the wallsocket to a screw from my Beomaster 5.
    I used a charge indicator before touching the blank parts on the wallsocket - just in case ...

I tested it with and without the masterlink cable and the same thing happened: It's usable 1 or 2 times and then it doesn't come back and the red Led keeps blinking.
    It's interesting that the Led keeps blinking even after powering down the Beomaster unit (Led on the backside switches from green to red, drives spin down).

• 07-31-2009 3:08 PM In reply to

Hello Folks!

I can´t understand that you be able to try to fix this product yourself... 

This BeoSound 5 is not ready for the market yet. To many problems to solve.

Return it to your dealers and get your money back!!!

• 07-31-2009 6:34 PM In reply to

I have the same problem regarding the waking. My audiomaster (ie a BeoSound 3000) starts, but sometimes the BeoSound doesn't wake up and the screen remains blank. I have tried to figure out when this happens. My best guess is that it happens when I have rebooted my router to which the BS5 is connected and/or the internet connection failed temporarely.

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >