in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-16-2009 12:59 PM by Beottaku. 113 replies.
Page 3 of 5 (114 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-04-2009 5:35 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Re: BeoWorld and B&O..

Lee, I think this is great news. However, I also think by far the most important thing here is that Beoworld remains independent. Pretty sure you and the mods will work out the best way for this to happen.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 06-04-2009 5:49 PM In reply to

• Corvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Australia
    • Posts 124
    • Founder

Sounds fair and reasonable.

I think that long term it could be a real win win situatuion where B&O could model upgrades and future products incorporating those features most desired.

• 06-04-2009 8:10 PM In reply to

I figure that it's not like we don't know Bang & Olufsen exist, so why not let Beoworld get paid for advertising the obvious. We all get more than the value we pay for our subscriptions and I'm sure none of us will hold back our viewpoints either.

Do it!!

Who knows, first prize in the Prize Draw could be a new Beovision or new Beolabs that you wouldn't have to pay postage for because they could be collected from your local store!! Yes -  thumbs up

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 06-04-2009 8:25 PM In reply to

Sure why not. 

If it doesnt seem to be working out we or they can always stop the advertising.

Most of these arrangements are done under a contract so I say sign em up for a year and lets see how it works out.

• 06-04-2009 11:50 PM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

mediabobny:

Dave:

but i cannot see how this will benefit B&O... At all!

Kindof the way I see it.  Are we really a desireable target audience?  We're already sold on, nay, addicted to the brand.  Do you need to advertise alcohol to alcoholics?  They need to expand their customer base, not preach to the choir.  IMHO.

Rather similar opinion here as well with respect to B&O advertising, that is. Not necessarily other advertisers. Then again, B&O might come with some tailor-made ads that even BeoWorld members would find irresistible…Big Smile

___

The discussion about advertising on the site has been here before … maybe it’s just me but I don’t quite seem to get its outcome.

I mean, the essential question, Lee, is if you think BeoWorld as a concept is (ultimately) to be run as an independent commercial or an independent ‘enthusiasts’ enterprise (based on a ‘budget’ given by paid for memberships). Then there is, of course, ‘something’ in between those two (as it now seems to be the case) which while very wide-spread is the least transparent alternative – and arguably also the least optimal/manageable one.

As any other practitioner, I know that live/business is a ‘muddling-through-things’ journey rather than an easy ride according to a magic formula for success: So don’t get me wrong, please. I really think you & Co are doing a fantastic job and potentially might be on to something rather rarely seen in terms of a customer-corporation relationship.

To be sure, I’m not merely saying that you should ‘declare’ if you want to run BeoWorld for profit or not! Only that the rules to play by will be distinctly different under each alternative and rather imposed on you from the outside. That said, I’ve no doubt there will be plenty of valuable advice from the members no matter what you decide to do … and if one alternative doesn’t work then there is another one to try.

There are hardly more alternatives than those mentioned above, so to discuss with the members – since you ask their opinions – the pros and cons of each should not be too abstract while certainly exciting and constructive, yes, even kind of pioneering. For now, though, it seems a bit unclear within what concept we discuss things.

Perhaps establishing this might be helpful to eliminate the cacophony of our voices regarding whether there should be a B&O ad or not on the site?

• 06-05-2009 2:03 AM In reply to

I don't think that Beoworld will ever operate at a profit - it would be quite nice if it broke even though! Lee has already said that any potential profit would go back into the site. I also think we should not over estimate what we would get from B&O anyway! This would seem to be an opportunity to get access to good photographs and technical information and if successful could lead to other benefits in the future. I would regard the first attempts as a suck it and see process for both parties. There would be no compromise to the independence of the forum - I cannot see how they would influence me for instance as I take nothing from the site.

• 06-05-2009 3:34 AM In reply to

I say go for it, but one issue however would be the reviews. How can beoworld make any honest and independent reviews of B&O tv's if we dont review other brands to compare with? B&O fan(s) reviewing B&O tv's only - can never be considered fair and will always have a label of advertising stuck to it.

• 06-05-2009 4:33 AM In reply to

Remember Victor Kayam?

Is this the thin end of the wedge?

Is that what you want?

Regards Graham

• 06-05-2009 4:51 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

chrisped:

I say go for it, but one issue however would be the reviews. How can beoworld make any honest and independent reviews of B&O tv's if we dont review other brands to compare with? B&O fan(s) reviewing B&O tv's only - can never be considered fair and will always have a label of advertising stuck to it.

To be fair that's pretty much what we've got now albeit without the B&O Banner Ad - many a poster has had a severe thrashing for suggesting a lesser brand may in some way be better!Big Smile

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-05-2009 5:06 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

joeyboygolf:

Remember Victor Kayam?

Is this the thin end of the wedge?

Is that what you want?

I did say that I could well imagine B&O wanting to buy up the site in it's entirety as it is, given their relatively poor attempts at engaging the public at large on the internet.

I have wondered what B&O hope to gain by advertising a BV8 to probably the largest concentration of folk in netdom who already know about it - maybe they do see it as a "foot in the door".

I agree with jbg, I'm allergic to "marketing speak" and so couldn't stand a stream of pseudo "news stories & reviews" from the press department should their influence of the site ever extend beyond placing the odd Ad or two. What would they have done about Keith's sterling efforts to unlock the vagaries of the Beo5?? I think it would be a disaster were it to happen and the most likely outcome would be an "all new Beoworld" springing up elsewhere.

Having said that, I'm happy they want to place a Ad on site, I'm happy to allow said Ad, it does give an air of "recognition" to the site, it's content and it's members. That's as far as it should go however, they should never be allowed to attain a position from which they can bring any pressure to bear, financial or otherwise.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-05-2009 6:23 AM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

Peter :
    I don't think that Beoworld will ever operate at a profit - it would be quite nice if it broke even though!

It will always break even if it doesn’t use more $ than it receives. Excuse my cynicism. Whistle

Peter :
    Lee has already said that any potential profit would go back into the site.

Er … the one you think will never materialize? Sorry, could not resist … it’s good to have a mixture of skepticism and optimism though.

I hope I was not too unclear before: the case I was making was NOT for finding the answer to the question IF BeoWorld is to be run for profit (as I believe it should*), but HOW this could be achieved. A discussion of pros and cons of commercial approach (selling ads) v paid for membership etc. …

*If what one decides to do is not at least breaking even, then it simply is not independent – financially, at least. Excuse me for stating the obvious. I’m really pleased to hear from Lee about BeoWorld being self sufficient (nice term, btw).

• 06-05-2009 6:44 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Puncher:

I did say that I could well imagine B&O wanting to buy up the site in it's entirety as it is, given their relatively poor attempts at engaging the public at large on the internet.

I don't think that will happen. The reason Beoworld is 'successful' is not due to its independence, it's due to the fact that B&O do not have anything similar. Will all due respect to this website, it's primarily a forum. It would be dead easy for B&O to create their own community server or similar, if they wanted. We all browse their site and we'd use a a decent forum on their homepage, if it existed.

However, many corporates do not want a fully-fledged internal forum. As I've found across our magazine forums, most forum users are not the best reflection of our brand, they are fairly negative and actually *put off* advertisers as they get the impression that no-one is happy with their software.

• 06-05-2009 7:39 AM In reply to

moxxey:

Puncher:

I don't think that will happen. The reason Beoworld is 'successful' is not due to its independence, it's due to the fact that B&O do not have anything similar. Will all due respect to this website, it's primarily a forum. It would be dead easy for B&O to create their own community server or similar, if they wanted. We all browse their site and we'd use a a decent forum on their homepage, if it existed.

However, many corporates do not want a fully-fledged internal forum. As I've found across our magazine forums, most forum users are not the best reflection of our brand, they are fairly negative and actually *put off* advertisers as they get the impression that no-one is happy with their software.

Wrong! Moxxey.

We don't all browse their site and that, I believe , is the problem. B&O can see the fantastic amount of traffic that BeoWorld attracts and they want in.

Don't forget that more often than not, visitors far outnumber members online at any particular time. Maybe it is these "don't knows" that B&O will try to convert.