in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-16-2009 12:59 PM by Beottaku. 113 replies.
Page 2 of 5 (114 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-03-2009 6:08 PM In reply to

Re: BeoWorld and B&O..

Tricky. Usually I think advertising doesn't compromise editorial independence. Magazines and newspapers have been financed by advertisers for years and nobody is complaining. But Magazines and newspapers are usually covering more topics than that of the advertiser.

Since the topic of this site and the manufacturer are the same thing I feel there's a difference.  I'm hesitating at the moment. Must give it some more thought...

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 06-03-2009 6:45 PM In reply to

I'd say go for it. As long as advertisers do not influence what and how we discuss that should not be an issue. I strongly believe restricting where adds are placed the way it is right now works against the site, there is so much potential untouched by the limited financing that it gets from premium memberships .....

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 06-03-2009 9:20 PM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

go for it Smile

• 06-03-2009 9:36 PM In reply to

My first thoughts were positive. However, I do see a number of issues which BeoWorld will have to take into due consideration:-  

1. Subscriptions.

A large number of BeoWorld members make annual subscriptions to this site. As such, they directly support the viability of the site. Also Lee, who I believe has made a significant capital investment to initiate and run this project with upfront expenses and resources has an absolute right to make a return (whether that is for profit, to breakeven, as a tangible or intangible asset or just for his own fun). Finally, we as paying customers can vote with our wallets whether to be a subscription paying member or not. In that context, a sensitive advertising campaign would be good for us all.

2. Emotion.

The problem with B&O advertising is that the key-driver of this website; B&O, has a very large emotional attachment to it. If B&O decide that advertising on BeoWorld is no longer cost effective (and they are a business too), then withdrawing advertising revenues will signal to many members a loss of trust rather than a purely commercial decision. The reverse of that is by BeoWorld withdrawing advertising space because of a perception of loss of independence or integrity, then trust is lost again between the parties.

3. Independence.

Given the hard work put in by many and the support of the members – both subscribed and non-subscribed, it would be sad, neigh, criminal to lose independence. It would also be very sad to see BeoWorld become financially dependent on B&O to survive. Thus to me, any advertising revenue must be very carefully treated – because of the downsides of points 1 and 2 above.

Therefore, my recommendation would be to allow a suitable advertising campaign to go ahead. Revenues should be in the form of payment in kind i.e. supporting BeoWorld in a financially independent way – with prizes, field-trips etc.. This will allow BeoWorld to grow organically and sustainably (by attracting new subscribing members) with enhanced prizes etc… and without the risk of developing any financial dependence on B&O. Apart from the emotional loss of B&O withdrawing its advertising requirements, this is Win-Win to me.

Another little question which will need equal consideration if asked is (and another double edged sword); “should B&O recommend BeoWorld as its forum of choice for dialogue (chat, help, problem solving etc..) for visitors, customers and enthusiasts rather than support a similar vehicle on its own site which frankly has been “a dead-end” in all its various incarnations”.

10%

• 06-03-2009 11:15 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

The way i see it >

This will benefit BeoWorld finacially (always good!),

but i cannot see how this will benefit B&O... At all!

B&O, try focussing on you're own site first, you made it too complicated with 'BeoLounnge'.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 06-04-2009 12:33 AM In reply to

It is triky, I must admit.

Our goal is to stay independent, with strong connection's to the brand!That is always hard to achieve without financial support, but one thing that is great is that you achieve to run this site without any serious help from B&O. Fact that they come to you is great success, and I'm really happy!

IMO the best way to stay independent and in same time to have strong connection with the company is to give company one section of site, let say link with name official reviews or official statements, so that they represent themselves and products in way they want. Not classical banners and commercial !

And B&O than should be involve in prize draw !

I think in that case we will keep our independence and everybody will have choice to read independent opinions and official once, which I think is a point !

In this model you will minimize potential influence from brand !

You know how it goes "when I paying I give conditions" ....

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 06-04-2009 1:08 AM In reply to

• mediabobny
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Greenwich Village, NYC
    • Posts 336
    • Founder

Dave:

but i cannot see how this will benefit B&O... At all!

Kindof the way I see it.  Are we really a desireable target audience?  We're already sold on, nay, addicted to the brand.  Do you need to advertise alcohol to alcoholics?  They need to expand their customer base, not preach to the choir.  IMHO.

• 06-04-2009 1:50 AM In reply to

i think it's absolutely wonderful !

i post at lots of boards and the fact that the person or company that you're so enamoured with , the one you post about all day long , actually wants to advertise on the board , giving it their seal of approval if you will , really is most impressive

never seen it before tbh 

popgear is grate™

• 06-04-2009 1:53 AM In reply to

Couple of points to above - we have 10,000 + members - the number of gold members is around 500 and stable for some time.

We get a large number of people asking for advice off site who are not active on the forum - a fair percentage think we are B&O!

• 06-04-2009 2:15 AM In reply to

Lee,

no problem with that. See it as an regulier advertiser. They have to pay for that and a very good option is with prizes for the draw.

Advertisers may not interfere with the content and or the purpose of the site.

Piet

• 06-04-2009 3:09 AM In reply to

After a few hours sleep, there may less "standard" collaboration (than banners) that could be additionally be implemented and benefit both B&O and Beoworld.

- Beoworld issuing member cards, that would give you discount in shops. Companies do like this kind of advertising as they can see how their campain is effective. It is also directly benefiting members as they get discount. It benefit Beoworld as it drives the number of paid membership.

- More interviews with Beo staff. Maybe a different guest each month that would be invited to chat on the forum. For example, a tonemaster could come on the forum and answer questions, for an hour...

- B&O could give us some hints on some upcoming products a bit before others. 

- This one is a bit cheeky:  they could give us the Beo5 config software officially, available for members.

• 06-04-2009 3:14 AM In reply to

I agree that it's a good ideaSmile

Tobeyone

• 06-04-2009 3:50 AM In reply to

I'm also onboard Lee.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 06-04-2009 4:50 AM In reply to

Go for it! 

I think it would be great for BeoWorld

• 06-04-2009 5:00 AM In reply to

• andy
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • weston-super(!)-mare
    • Posts 123
    • Founder

Lee ...

i think go for it.

the only issue i can see is that some people may see this as a more offcial site and get on various high horses a little more in the hope that B&O will take more notice of this as they are now advertisers. not a major issue i know, but it might happen.

but apart from that....charge them a hefty fee......when you price it..just remember the recent price increase..you could mention FOREX issues..labour....costs of production...lol

andy

• 06-04-2009 5:04 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

andy:

Lee ...

i think go for it.

the only issue i can see is that some people may see this as a more offcial site and get on various high horses a little more in the hope that B&O will take more notice of this as they are now advertisers. not a major issue i know, but it might happen.

but apart from that....charge them a hefty fee......when you price it..just remember the recent price increase..you could mention FOREX issues..labour....costs of production...lol

andy

Laughing Don't forget to add in an annual cost increase!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-04-2009 7:50 AM In reply to

I can't see a real downside. 

Anything that helps build and foster the relationship between the most knowledgable and committed sector of a loyal customer base and the company concerned has got to be good.  Rather than looking at the possibilty of B&O in someway 'tainting' the independence of the site, see it as an opportunity for leverage and to influence product development and change.

Cleve

• 06-04-2009 8:43 AM In reply to

Phil, I was thinking the very same thing about having B&O making the Beo5 config software available on Beoworld!

Beoworld has already been very cautious to keep the Beo5 configuration software from being shared via this site for concern of staying on good terms with B&O. I fear the slippery slope of this. Will Beoworld begin removing leaked details of future products at the request of B&O? I imagine that the urge of B&O to censor will be irresistible to them.

• 06-04-2009 9:25 AM In reply to

Lee,

I think its true to say that King Street was one of the early dealers to openly stick our heads up and support Beoworld as a site/concept/community, so personally, I am glad B&O feel the time is right for the brand to get involved too.  The US & Them situation of 18 months ago was not ideal.

I have wondered about a dealer ad on here - but aside from maybe being too controvertial, we are a regional dealer in the North West of the UK, and this is an international site - so global brand-awareness is just the job, whereas a dealer specific ad would either attract mail order enquiries (which we don't do) or simply be brand advertising for the entire network at our cost.

As others have said, the site should not become dependant on any one revenue stream - be it B&O, STB, LifestyleAV or whoever, as things change and the site could suffer.

I hope its the start of a real partnership...

Bang & Olufsen of King Street - Manchester,UK. SKYPE - beokingstreet

• 06-04-2009 10:59 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

KingStreet:

I have wondered about a dealer ad on here - but aside from maybe being too controvertial, we are a regional dealer in the North West of the UK, and this is an international site - so global brand-awareness is just the job

It's dead-easy for the developers to create a system which serves UK-specific adverts to UK web users. This means it would be quite easy for your dealership to advertise on the site and only attract interest from UK customers. There are no reasons why you can't sell product to people outside your area, but within this territory (UK), which means an advert could be very valid.

• 06-04-2009 12:26 PM In reply to

I have a few thoughts and questions.  I guess if it means small banner adverts at the bottom of the page, that would be fine.  If it means a more splashy type of advertising like a flash presentation, then maybe that's not so good.  Will there be a large financial investment in Beoworld by B&O UK?  Are there going to be ads from other countries?

If there is a large financial commitment by B&O, will membership fees be unnecessary?

I am generally supportive of the idea of having ads on the site and do think they can be useful.  Although I live in the US, I recently made a purchase from Sounds Heavenly who advertises on this site.  The products and service are excellent.  I don't think I would order anything from B&O UK.  However I did buy a Serene phone in Paris.  Things do get complicated.  I think we need more information.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 06-04-2009 1:18 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

linder:

I don't think I would order anything from B&O UK. 

UK B&O dealers aren't allowed to sell directly to customers outside of the UK, apart from those people who walk in to a store. ie. you can walk in to a store and take away a Beosound 3 with you.

Therefore my UK-specific advert suggestion would be an option for UK dealers such as KingStreet. They would be able to put an advert on Beoworld that would be only seen by UK web users and pay a little less for this setup (as they aren't targetting the entire site userbase).

• 06-04-2009 2:15 PM In reply to

moxxey:

linder:

I don't think I would order anything from B&O UK. 

UK B&O dealers aren't allowed to sell directly to customers outside of the UK, apart from those people who walk in to a store. ie. you can walk in to a store and take away a Beosound 3 with you.

Therefore my UK-specific advert suggestion would be an option for UK dealers such as KingStreet. They would be able to put an advert on Beoworld that would be only seen by UK web users and pay a little less for this setup (as they aren't targetting the entire site userbase).

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 06-04-2009 2:52 PM In reply to

• Jumbo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-21-2007
    • Posts 14
    • Founder

Can't see any downside at all

Just go for it

Jumbo

• 06-04-2009 3:30 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

The_Beonic_Man:

Other members support the site and prizes through their paid membership. 

That is simply not true Simon.

Not one penny of membership fees pays for any of the prizes. Every single prize in the monthly draw is either donated by a third party or supplied by LifeStyle AV (at Lee's expense).

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

Page 2 of 5 (114 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >