in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-29-2009 1:34 PM by js. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (22 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-26-2009 10:58 AM

• Brent
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 07-15-2007
    • Perth – travel internationally
    • Posts 7
    • Founder

what do users want from future Products?

Greetings peoples,

OK, so how about some positive & constructive suggestions about what users want from future products &/or upgrades. Save the whinging for other threads  Wink 

Just to get the ball rolling…

• On the video side, my last purchase was a larger screen because I wanted the WIDTH on letter-boxed movies — rather than height — so how about pursuing this idea instead? :
    http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/en/gb/consumer/cc/_categoryid_TELEVISIONS_CA_GB_CONSUMER/

• would like BluRay for the BeoCentre 2 so I don't need to move the PlayStation™ from room to room

• all of my televisions have an external digicam attached – online collaboration & games are part of my lifestyle. There is a certain bemusement from people seeing a BV4-63 with an EyeToy™ duct taped to the top frame. The capability to mount a webcam on (or in) some frames would be handy. I accept that the shiny metallic framed ones won't look too crash hot with this treatment, but they're not the ones I have ever purchased, as they detract from my enjoyment of the video, despite how pretty they look as an item of furniture design when not in use

• a 'modern' BS5 with support for Apple lossless and FLAC formats, wireless 2-way connectivity and a touch-screen

That's enough for now. Go for broke. Think outside the box…

"Of all days, the day on which one has not laughed is surely the one most wasted."

• 05-26-2009 1:56 PM In reply to

Re: what do users want from future Products?

General

products who are well made ( tested in every step of production,tested in every environment (smoke,etc...) , well conceived ( what does the consumer need?,how can we improve the experience of the costumer,...), who are different (touches of aluminium,...), the "right" pricetag: not high, not low but in line with the product offered (capabilities, design, ...) and only supply them to dealers wich have enough knowledge of bang & olufsen (introduce "mistery shopper")

and keep the products up to date (  like the current introduction of hdmi for bv 7-32)

Reward your clients ( loyalty program), keep your prices steady (they are high, you should not raise them over the lifetime of a product)  

• 05-26-2009 2:02 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

jvdb107:

Reward your clients ( loyalty program)

I posed that as a question for the UK CEO last time Beoworld asked some questions. He said that it was an interesting idea and would look in to it. Since then, nothing apart from a price increase!

No 'loyalty program' at all, apart form B&O making us feel we're lucky to own the technology.

• 05-26-2009 2:06 PM In reply to

New loudspeaker.

To fill the gap between the beolab 3 and beolab 9.

• 05-26-2009 2:49 PM In reply to

Something out of the ordinary. I want the promised translucent aluminium - maybe a return to the electronic lids seen on the BC8500 - in other words only the relevant buttons showing for each source, two way remote control and some way of having a screen that is not a screen - my mind is thinking some type of projection. And no wires.

• 05-26-2009 3:24 PM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

I would like to see more top range products. Real B&O products that look, feel and sound good Smile. Maybe they can work together with a high-end brand, that will be really great.

We Can't Get Enough B&O Stuff...

• 05-26-2009 3:57 PM In reply to

more reaching for the stars danish genius like in their 70's heyday ( flappo drunken rant over )

popgear is grate™

• 05-26-2009 4:43 PM In reply to

B&O should concentrate on audio and overall sound reproduction, what they do best. I love the B&O sound and would love to see them get more recognition from audiophiles. Pure price / performance ratio could be better, and this is the kicker. The high prices are fine, but it would be nice to squeeze a little more performance per dollar out of future products.

Also, small speakers can be nice in certain applications. But dont sacrifice sound for size, because bigger speakers can still look great. 

• 05-26-2009 4:45 PM In reply to

1. exotic materials

2. bullet proof reliability and construction

3. glistens like jewellery

4. you want to touch it for no reason at all

5. leaves a smile on your face and a warm glow inside when you use it years later

6. makes functionality of well-established products by other manufacturers look cumbersome

7. draws little children and women from across the room with curiosity and inqusitive smiles

8. holographic TV

9. finger-print proof touch-screen

10. voice-activated functionality if need be - see star trek TNG "computer, mozart's requiem. computer download/rip following album off net. computer record topgear from sky tomorrow etc..."

11. more touch sensitive aluminium

12. concentration of making virtual music and videos from net a physical experience - dragging music and film covers from the net into your beosound hard-drive using our finger tips rather than resorting to a computer...

13. plasma speaker technology

that's enough for now...

• 05-26-2009 5:27 PM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

I would love if they updated Masterlink. I think it's a very old technology with to many wires. I don't own any newer equipment, so I can't say if some things have gotten better the last 5 years, but I haver never understood why my parents BL3500's can't show the RDS info from their BS3200.

I would like it if they came up with a solution where audio AND video is run in the same cable, and makes it able to do more. I know they've made the BeoWireless, but as I understand it can only transfer audio, and it is very expensive.

I would also like the possibility to listen to one source in the kitchen and another in the bathroom for example, the BS3200 can't do that either.

• 05-26-2009 6:24 PM In reply to

I think we're at the point where I would like to see iconic classic design that is pretty much fixed, where the software is updated, think iPhone here, no radical changes to the design, but the sotware is easily updated, either flashed from a USB or via the internet.  I read with interest the latest thread on the BL8000 and whether its still a good seller.  Imagine being able to update a BS9000 or a BC2 more easily.

What I don't like at the moment is that the technology is clearly moving too fast for B&O's business model and the timeline from R&D to production delivers a less than satisfactory experience for the new adopter. I do believe LCD and Plasma will be redundant by 2012/2013 and OLED will have taken over.  My parents are just replacing their 19year old LX and there is no way I would like to see them splash out on a B&O LCD panel at the moment.

Lets concentrate on what B&O do best - design, quality production and integration. I think the way that this site has developed the BEO5 shows B&O the path that they should be developing and they should be collaborating far more (apple please) and I don't mean with Samsung on mobile phones!

I'd like to see more mid-level products......especially TVs and Audio Source inputs - how about an audio only Beosystem 3?

I got into B&O through the MX range, there is no way I'd buy a BV8 (sorry BV8 owners), so I'm looking forward to seeing the BV10.

Yes, please update Masterlink - way ahead of its time when launched, but now rather like having a dialup modem built into a computer.

2 way remote, or update the BEO5 to make it 2 way.

I do still love my BC6000s, so I'm looking forward to seeing BeoCom 5.

I'm happy with iTunes, so I don't need to think about BS5 and frankly, how out of date is that going to be in 18 months?

Finally, please, please find a happy medium between ROI and your pricing. I'm happy to pay a premium for my beloved B&O, but don't put me in a situation where its a no brainer to switch from a brand I love and feel particularly loyal to, to one which is a decent comromise..... I buy B&O because over the period of ownership I believe they offer outstanding value for money. However MY (this is my opinion of value for money, no-one elses) perception of value for money will diminish if the product lasts less and less time before it needs replacing or becomes redundant!

FYI, my parents have gone with the new B&W Panorama Sound Bar and a 40" mid range Sony Bravia LCD which I know will get them to OLED.  I did try and persuade them to go with a secondlife BV5, but no luck!

Rambling over, its late!

• 05-27-2009 4:52 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Wireless interconnectivity & communication between all their products & the home computer network.

In TV for example, the big brand leaders are already introducing wireless connection and  together with the rapid changes in screen technology, I fear B&O will forever be playing catch-up.

• 05-27-2009 8:35 AM In reply to

- products that all speak the same language (whether in terms of interconnection, remote control use, and audio-video file formats)

- 2-way communication between connected products (if not through remote controls)

- BeoLink Wireless transmitters in all audio+video masters, receivers in all BeoLabs.

- flat BeoLab speakers to wall-mount on each side of your BeoVision

- a home phone that acts as a remote control (or vice-versa!)

- all audio-video masters with a USB input and/or Ethernet/wi-fi input for quick & convenient software upgrade, CDDB info on CDs/NMUSIC/A.MEM, and Internet navigation on all BeoVisions

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 05-27-2009 10:43 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

seethroughyou:

1. exotic materials

2. bullet proof reliability and construction

3. glistens like jewellery

4. you want to touch it for no reason at all

5. leaves a smile on your face and a warm glow inside when you use it years later

6. makes functionality of well-established products by other manufacturers look cumbersome

7. draws little children and women from across the room with curiosity and inqusitive smiles

8. holographic TV

9. finger-print proof touch-screen

10. voice-activated functionality if need be - see star trek TNG "computer, mozart's requiem. computer download/rip following album off net. computer record topgear from sky tomorrow etc..."

11. more touch sensitive aluminium

12. concentration of making virtual music and videos from net a physical experience - dragging music and film covers from the net into your beosound hard-drive using our finger tips rather than resorting to a computer...

13. plasma speaker technology

that's enough for now...

YES to all!  Big Smile

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 05-27-2009 1:48 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

1. Made in Denmark !!!!! 2. bullet proof reliability and construction 3. you want to touch it for no reason at all 4. leaves a smile on your face and a warm glow inside when you use it years later 5. makes functionality of well-established products by other manufacturers look cumbersome 6. more touch sensitive aluminium :-))
  • 05-27-2009 2:21 PM In reply to

• AdiS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-24-2007
    • Posts 196
    • Bronze Member

some simple things would be nice:

- all cd-players are able to play mp3

- BS 3200 with SD-Card Player - even BeoSound 1

- Masterlink with possibility to show ID3 TAGs for example to BL 3500

- BeoLab Speakers with Displays like the Pentas to show you what´s playing right now

- one Masterlink-Cable for audio and video

- two way remotes

- new LC 2 

- replace product for Beolab 2000

- new Beovox range - alternative products for BeoVox 1

- motorized wall mounting possibility for Beovisions

• 05-27-2009 3:06 PM In reply to

In random order:

• Two way remote
    • Translucent and touch sensitive aluminium
    • More wireless technology
    • Online software updates
    • Bulletproof reliability
    • Intuitive user interface
    • Design to die for

In case we would get a two way remote: do we really need a product like the Beosound 5? It seems to me if you can control the Beomaster 5 and get all the information on the screen of the remote it’s pretty much useless.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 05-27-2009 3:12 PM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

beocool:

In case we would get a two way remote: do we really need a product like the Beosound 5? It seems to me if you can control the Beomaster 5 and get all the information on the screen of the remote it’s pretty much useless.

Indeed, just look at the Sonos. It works beautifully, and all you need is the controller or an iPod Touch/iPhone. I love the looks of the BeoSound 5, but if I had one, and could control it from a two way remote, I'm not sure I would use the BS5 interface much.

• 05-27-2009 4:13 PM In reply to

Some amazing suggestions, well done guys (let's hope B&O get to hear them) !

1. Two way remote (just like my 19year old MCP6500)

2. Masterlink to carry both video & audio plus powerlink (just one cable to all locations like HDMI)

3.BeoLink to enable different sources in different rooms (Possible solution of single masterlink cable?)

4. Seemless integration to the PC and web (updates and source transfer). Just plug Masterlink into PC to get status, source and facilities

5. PCLoyality programme - Early availability of new products AND price discounts

B&O owner since 1989.

BV7, BV6, MX2000, V8000, BeoMedia1, BS6500, BeoPort, BeoPassive, BL6000, BL3, RL45, BeoCom6000, BeoCom2, BeoTalk1200, LC2, Beo4, Beo5

• 05-27-2009 6:13 PM In reply to

• Seven
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-22-2008
    • Posts 35
    • Bronze Member

My wish: allow integration of Wii sensor bar without killing the design. Somehow. It's just a few infrared LEDs, so my ideal solution would be if B&O just built those LED into every TV on demand.

• 05-29-2009 10:03 AM In reply to

• blue2th
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-28-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 33
    • Bronze Member

from what i've seen and read (as a beovirgin Smile) - not just the products but the s/w needs to be constantly updated for new changes/technology that can be done with firmware updates. 

for this reason, ethernet port in all products or being able to update with beolink wireless 1

• 05-29-2009 1:34 PM In reply to

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

Just a few thoughts.

Quick wins - my two absolute priorities:

- develop a wireless socket unit for Beolab speakers (the speakers would still connect to this socket unit and to the mains, but there would be no cable running from the master to this socket unit): that would tremendously improve the integration into the house and the freedom of speaker placement (and of course develop a built-in wireless receiver for future Beolab speakers)

- develop a two-way remote in order to conveniently access digital music libraries from where one actually listens to music

And also:

- focus on speakers and fully capitalise on the ALT technology

- design timeless products again with high quality materials (and robust software). Also improve coherence (now you have to combine rectangle and oval products with differing aluminium finishes and various displays colours)

- eventually solve the cable mess: use one single type of cable for all purposes (e.g. replace PowerLink, MasterLink, video distribution, etc. with Cat.6) and/or develop fully wireless setups (and if that isn't possible: ensure perfect integration of all cables into the stands and have only one cable between head units and socket units)

- come back to a logical, simple and interactive user interface (e.g. à la BC9500) especially for AV setups (I feel that the more advanced B&O setups are now even more complex to configure and operate than competitors' and... computers)

- develop digital products that don't need a separate computer (otherwise, one just needs a user-friendly software to run on his computer with a two-way remote, i.e. a Mac and an iTouch)

- either abandon TVs or come with two new proposals: (i) comprehensive TVs that are financially accessible to previous LX/MX/Avant owners (i.e. better than BV8, but less expensive than BV4/7/9), and (ii) a screen that is not a screen and that would make a true difference with competitors (as the LX/MX/Avant did in the CRT times, and as Peter suggested)

Page 1 of 1 (22 items)