in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-29-2009 4:42 PM by Ehlerz. 106 replies.
Page 4 of 5 (107 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-29-2009 5:55 PM In reply to

Re: BeoVision 7-40 MkIV, First impression

Is not poor SD PQ,especially from the internal tuner,an indication of poor processing/upscaling on the part of the TV?

One would not expect this to be the case for a TV at this price point.

One does wonder if your unit is a faulty one.

How does the retailer's unit compare?

I would agree that for allegedly integrated units to be utilising external sockets is inexcusable.

One might as well be using  a separate BD player with a higher pedigree than that of Samsung.

• 05-29-2009 6:05 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

TerryM:

Is not poor SD PQ,especially from the internal tuner,an indication of poor processing/upscaling on the part of the TV?

How does the retailer's unit compare?

I don't know Terry, it is perplexing. The internals (ie. BS3) should process the incoming signal in the same manner as the MKIII.

The retailer doesn't have their MKIV on display at the moment, although they do have one ready to go on display.

• 05-30-2009 9:56 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

It would seem B&O has released a product that is not meeting it's customers expectations and, more worryingly it seems as if it is becoming a bit of a habit!

At this sort of pricepoint there should be no problem in having an extended home trial before purchase - it would also signal the manufacturers confidence in the product for which they are asking you to shell out several (in not tens of) thousands of pounds.

My takeaway would be -

Try before you buy (and never buy sight unseen).

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 05-30-2009 12:10 PM In reply to

moxxey:

DVB-HD module is in preparation for terrestrial HD, I was told! Funny thing is though, when it scans for TV channels, it puts them all in bizarre order (BBC2 on channel 18, BBC1 on channel 19 etc). Known problem, I'm told.

This is not a problem that i am aware of, you have to select the transmitter from the tuning menu.  The DVB module logs the channels in order of frequency, so when you select your local transmitter from the tuning menu it puts them back into the correct order.

• 05-30-2009 12:18 PM In reply to

moxxey:

No, watching Sky - which I've done since 2003 - results in a complete TV crash. I have to then switch it off/on at the mains, including all the other kit connected to that mains socket.

I'm wondering if the DVB-HD module, connected to HDMI, interferes with the Sky HD HDMI connection? ie. some kind of handshaking issue, which causes it to crash. If I remove the scart lead (required for controlling the Sky box), it crashes far less frequentely. If connected, it crashes every 15-20 minutes.

Hi Moxxey,

On point 1, is you box shutting down or are you just losing the picture, what i mean by that is can you still get the Sky menus, TV Guide etc, or does the whole thing just die?  The reason I ask is that a lot of Sky HD boxes are failing with the new software that has been downloaded but the symptom is no satellite signal message but still menus to navigate.

Point 2, the scart cable no longer needs to be connected on the new chassis and software versions.

• 05-30-2009 1:53 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

meandmyshadow:

On point 1, is you box shutting down or are you just losing the picture, what i mean by that is can you still get the Sky menus, TV Guide etc, or does the whole thing just die?  The reason I ask is that a lot of Sky HD boxes are failing with the new software that has been downloaded but the symptom is no satellite signal message but still menus to navigate.

The TV crashes, not the Sky box. I've not experienced a scenario where I can't control the Sky box and the TV should still operate, even if the Sky box did crash.

The Sky box is fine and can still be 'controlled' via the Sky controller, if necessary. What's happening is that the TV intermittently seems to start to mute the signal, then the picture fragments, then the entire TV crashes and won't respond to the remote. The only way around that is to turn the mains off and power up the TV again. I've attempted to take the cables out and put them back in to the TV, thinking it might be a cable fault (unlikely).

The Sky box is is only connected via HDMI and the TV doesn't crash when watching DVB-HD, internal Blu-ray or any other connected device (ie. PS3).

The 'good' news is that the TV is crashing far more infrequentely than on Thursday. It can go a whole hour or more (!) before it crashes. If also found that I can stop it crashing by moving to DVB-HD (ie. away from Sky) when the picture starts breaking up, then back to Sky. There's about 10 seconds or so before it crashes.

I'm starting to think it's some kind of HDCP issue.

• 05-30-2009 1:55 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

meandmyshadow:

This is not a problem that i am aware of, you have to select the transmitter from the tuning menu.  The DVB module logs the channels in order of frequency, so when you select your local transmitter from the tuning menu it puts them back into the correct order.

It was the dealer who set it up this way. It should be more straightforward than selecting the transmitter. I don't even know the name of our transmitter. I work in IT tech and this isn't 'easy'. It should be easy.

EDIT: I've just checked the DVB-HD options and can't understand/find how to select the transmitter?

• 05-30-2009 2:55 PM In reply to

as steve jobs said hdmi / hdcp is a 'whole world of hurt'

maybe it's not really bno's fault at all ??

my brother has a sony set up and has problems all the time with his dvd , blu ray amp and tv combo - the whole hdcp thing is an UTTER pain in the botty

popgear is grate™

• 05-30-2009 3:06 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Flappo The Grate:

as steve jobs said hdmi / hdcp is a 'whole world of hurt'

maybe it's not really bno's fault at all ??

To be fair Flappo, the MKIII had sw issues after sw issues. To pass the blame away from the manufacturer, would be easy. If it had been a £1000 TV, perhaps we could be more forgiving. But as it's a £10,000 TV, which then requires my dealer to request a B&O engineer (not the dealer engineer) to perfom each sw update, makes the situation less forgiving.

B&O had enough time to get the MKIII right. By the time I handed over my MKIII, it was problem-free. It's not as if B&O couldn't learn from their own lessons. The MKIII barely differs from the MKIV, in terms of chassis.

• 05-30-2009 3:13 PM In reply to

fair enough , i just wanted everyone to see we're giving bno the benefit of the doubt.. i'd hate to be accused of trolling :)

my love affair with bno is rapidly dissipating and reading experiences like yours only exacerbates the situation

they really seem to have completely lost the plot in the bno engineering division recently and their software writers need a good sharp kick up the backside pronto

popgear is grate™

• 05-30-2009 3:47 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Flappo The Grate:

they really seem to have completely lost the plot in the bno engineering division recently and their software writers need a good sharp kick up the backside pronto

I do worry** about which staff were made redundant when B&O cut back on staff numbers through 2008.

In my previous employment, my position became almost untenable at one stage after they made 1/3rd of the staff redundant. My team went from 13 to 7 people. Problem is that this then affects quality. If you're used to 13 people within a team, then you're trying to do the same work, meeting the same high (or higher!) targets, with 6 fewer staff members, you have to start cutting corners to get results.

**DISCLAIMER: that thought is a general personal opinion from myself and is not a representation of the thoughts from the owners of this board or website.

• 05-30-2009 6:44 PM In reply to

moxxey:

meandmyshadow:

It was the dealer who set it up this way. It should be more straightforward than selecting the transmitter. I don't even know the name of our transmitter. I work in IT tech and this isn't 'easy'. It should be easy.

EDIT: I've just checked the DVB-HD options and can't understand/find how to select the transmitter?

This is the message I got regarding the tuning and it resolved all issues:

BeoVision 8 is storing the channels in ascending order of the freqency. To store in a more logical order select source for the DVB-HD module i.e. 'DTV' or 'TV' depending on your configuration, followed by 'MENU' and '1'. From the on-screen list select your local transmitter (in our case at Winnersh this was Berks & North Hants.) and then press 'GO'.

Please note that this module will also be fitted to the new chassis BeoVision 7.

Hope it helps!

• 05-30-2009 6:49 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Done and it works. How absolutely bonkers is that?! Not intuitive at all. Well, at least it's sorted now.

• 05-30-2009 6:51 PM In reply to

I used to play a lot of golf in Winnersh!

• 05-30-2009 7:01 PM In reply to

I'm glad it's sorted, as I said it wasn't an issue but a nature af the product perhaps not intuative but that's what your installation is for, they should have known about it really.  Still that's the beauty of BeoWorld :)

• 05-31-2009 3:30 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Two more BV7-40 MKIV problems I've experienced:

1) Blu-ray link-room playback causes the link-room TV to miss frames. Not significant, but does affect how you view a Blu-ray on a link-room TV. Sort of judders through the film.

2) The 'internal' Blu-ray player causes a significant audio delay on a link-room TV. If you manage to sync both TVs for regular TV, when you play a Blu-ray on a link-room TV, whilst the main TV is playing the same Blu-ray in an adjacent room, you can hear a bad echo between the rooms. I'd say the delay is half a second. However, it's very noticeable.

Now, I know a lot of these smaller problems can be fixed within a future software update. Problem is, with all the MKIII sw issues, you would have thought that B&O would have made sure they got the MKIV right, from the start.

• 05-31-2009 5:07 PM In reply to

Bugger does anything work right on this TV or WHAT!!!  They really have dropped the ball

Carl Sheerman

• 05-31-2009 5:17 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

I don't know what they were doing. Part of me thinks that they don't think 'gawd, we've got to get *this* TV right after all the MKIII problems we caused' and they just concentrate on leveraging a Blu-ray player in to the internal mechanics.....even if that causes other (minor) issues, such as link-room audio delays.

ie. it's much better to get good PR about internal Blu-ray players, then fix sw issues later, than worry about short-term customer issues.

However, what they forget is that some of these MKIV users were MKIII users are are sick to death of having to do the sw beta-testing on behalf of B&O.

• 05-31-2009 5:21 PM In reply to

I think that buying audio products from B&O represents the only viable and value for money purchase in this day and age. TVs just don't cut it so why pay the premium?

Simon.

• 05-31-2009 9:38 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

If i bought a $20,000 tv and this all happenned, it would be very testing, and my opinion of the companies competency would lower significantly. What's the verdict? B&O should discontinue BV7-40 immediatly? I think so, this is freaking ridiculous, and embarrassing.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 06-01-2009 1:13 AM In reply to

>>That still doesn't make it right though. They shouldn't need to use their own 'external' HDMI connectors for 'internal' modules<<

I don't think this is a stupid idea - using components from other vendors and integrate them by natural means should cut down development time (i.e. the samsung bluray would normally connect to any other screen as well through HDMI, why re-invent the wheel).

In regards to misleading specs and that they released an instable product, maybe this is the result of the new CEO trying to speed up product launches?

Maybe one more question (tough one) for the UK CEO interview.

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 07-09-2009 8:10 AM In reply to

moxxey:

Beolab:

mooxey, can you look in to the Costumer Service Menu under Signal information when you watch TV! Because ours dosen´t interpolate at all! It says Output signal: 50Hz!! It should be 100Hz... I have asked B&O about this..

I can confirm it says 50HZ!

PANEL: 1920 1080P 50Hz

I've noticed a 'FILM JUDDER CANCEL  AUTO' option in the picture adjustments. Any ideas?

Barely anything about the MKIV excites me. I'm tempted to ask for my money back and my old MKIII. How does a professional high-end company such as B&O produce a TV which is more poor than the previous version but then release it thinking it's an improvement? Perplexed.

I can not seem to find this setting on my BV 7 MK IV. Is it not available when signal is provided trough HDMI?

BV 7-55, BL 7-4, BL 9's, BL 4's, BL 3's, BC 2300, Beo5, Beo4

• 07-09-2009 10:30 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

It's available in the Customer Service menu. Do a search across the forum to find how to access this (or just read this thread!).

• 07-09-2009 10:36 AM In reply to

moxxey:

It's available in the Customer Service menu. Do a search across the forum to find how to access this (or just read this thread!).

I have no probelm accessing the service menu, but I can not find the settings in question. Hz output for instance... Nothing with regard to signal...

BV 7-55, BL 7-4, BL 9's, BL 4's, BL 3's, BC 2300, Beo5, Beo4

• 07-09-2009 4:35 PM In reply to

takktakk:

moxxey:

I have no probelm accessing the service menu, but I can not find the settings in question. Hz output for instance... Nothing with regard to signal...

When pressing "Menu", navigate to "other options" ( it should be something like this, mine is in danish so i dont exactly know it in english) Dont access "other options". While "other options" is higlighted, press RED Button followed by GO. Under signal information you see the info under "Panel"

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

Page 4 of 5 (107 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >