in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-29-2009 4:42 PM by Ehlerz. 106 replies.
Page 3 of 5 (107 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-28-2009 2:25 PM In reply to

Re: BeoVision 7-40 MkIV, First impression

ok , that saved me £8k

thx moxxeyUnsure

popgear is grate™

• 05-28-2009 2:47 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

It gets worse Flappo. Two more observations:

1) SD, even though Sky HD (ie. BBC 1 on Sky HD) is *worse* than on the MKIII. Significantly worse! More pixelated, poor colours etc. WTF? Sky SD used to be fine. It's got worse.

2) When you pause a Blu-ray (ie. press 'stop' on the remote), you would have thought that pressing 'go' again would start the DVD? Oh no. You have to press yellow, then 'go'. WTF?

TV is only turning off when watching Sky, which means it's a HDCP/handshaking problem, I'd guess. TV via DTV-HD or watching a Blu-ray is fine. When watching Sky, the TV crashes after about 10 minutes!

• 05-28-2009 2:54 PM In reply to

Is it still worth keeping it :V Regarding my white line issue they've called again after after visiting the house and witnessing it, to say that they will contact b and o denmark to ask them what is wrong! I think its personal, they don't want to admit that the software update didn't work and just wasting my time as a result. Nothing but trouble with b and o lcds huh. The bv1 is perfect. The avant is ultimate with no problems... Ahhh why
  • 05-28-2009 3:14 PM In reply to

i wonder why they didn't utilise the blue button on the beo4 for blu ray ?

seems the most logical

popgear is grate™

• 05-28-2009 3:37 PM In reply to

I think B&O should hire some good AV software engineers right now. And this at any cost as it is just becoming too important.

Everything electronic is now basically software based with with multiple processors instead of a just a lot of (limiting) carefully selected electronic parts put together. Software issues are a problem for all electronics manufacturers, not just B&O.

I just installed the latest update for my samsung blu-ray player (4TH ONE THIS YEAR!!!!) just to give you a example. The model (BD1500) is over 2 yrs old now and still needs updates. Knowing this in advance did not stop me from buying (and enjoying) it. It worked ok then, but works really good now and I did not regret buying it.

Also last week I watched a demo of the latest series samsung tv's with pc-streaming capabilities auto-updates, widgets etc. Took them over 3 hrs to make it work in the store ......  Most of the functions didn't work till 2 days (any many updates) later and even then it still has tendencies to crash. 
    Though the concept of that tv is interesting, just like a new B&O this new Samsung I would NOT consider a finished product ready for the market. (though coming close still has to filter out some of the bugs.)

Technology has come a long way in a very short time so I guess it's something we have to learn to live with, i'm afraid... 

• 05-28-2009 3:38 PM In reply to

Flappo The Grate:

i wonder why they didn't utilise the blue button on the beo4 for blu ray ?

seems the most logical

LOL ... Exactly my thoughts as well Laughing

• 05-28-2009 4:53 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Beolab:

mooxey, can you look in to the Costumer Service Menu under Signal information when you watch TV! Because ours dosen´t interpolate at all! It says Output signal: 50Hz!! It should be 100Hz... I have asked B&O about this..

I can confirm it says 50HZ!

PANEL: 1920 1080P 50Hz

I've noticed a 'FILM JUDDER CANCEL  AUTO' option in the picture adjustments. Any ideas?

Barely anything about the MKIV excites me. I'm tempted to ask for my money back and my old MKIII. How does a professional high-end company such as B&O produce a TV which is more poor than the previous version but then release it thinking it's an improvement? Perplexed.

• 05-28-2009 5:15 PM In reply to

WOW i was thinking about getting the MKIV but now i will just run past the B & O shop quickly and save my money.  Jesus i never suspected they would push out such an underdeveloped package as the MkIV.  It not as if the Blueray era has just erupted on the scene. Bad B & O.  They need to do some explaining fast.  I will now go and clean my Mk III and the PS3.

Carl Sheerman

• 05-28-2009 5:19 PM In reply to

• gofer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-26-2007
    • Posts 27
    • Bronze Member

Same here. I have been holding off waiting for this but I'm passing on the basis of this thread! Today I was offered MkIII with DVD for same price as MkIII without DVD. If the panel as Moxxey says is only slightly better, then sounds like I should be going for the deal!

• 05-28-2009 5:46 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

gofer:

If the panel as Moxxey says is only slightly better, then sounds like I should be going for the deal!

No, in most ways it's *worse*. I'd say Blu-ray's are a small improvement, BBC HD a small improvement, but everything else is worse! Channel 4 HD (which is generally SD, upscaled), worse. BBC1, worse. Usability, worse. Connections, worse.

In fact, Beolab said he'd compared a MKIV to a MKIII in his store and said that the only difference he noticed was that the MKIV was brighter. It is. However, it didn't *need* to be brighter.

If B&O are reading this and are angry I'm putting off potential upgraders, then I'd suggest they discuss it directly with myself. I've got a lot to tell them; starting with my dealer tomorrow morning.

Something else I can't understand: with the MKIII it shipped with a sharpness factory default of 14. We had to lower this (I had mine as '10'), to give a good balance between SD and HD. However, with the MKIV, again it's set to 14, but I've had to *increase* this to 18 to make SD more clear. That can't be right? Sharpness should make a bad signal worse.

EDIT: I said it had stopped crashing. No, wrong. It's still crashing, just not as frequentely.

• 05-29-2009 3:35 AM In reply to

maybe you just got a dodgy one that slipped out of the factory ??

do keep us informed as to what happens !

popgear is grate™

• 05-29-2009 4:15 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

It´s hard to be in the frontline. I always try to avoid MkI.

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 05-29-2009 4:32 AM In reply to

i dont understand why sd should be worse on mk IV watching say ch4 

is sounds like theyve just rushed thru bluray due to customer demand although theyve had about 2 yrs to get it sorted

this is one reason i wont buy a beovision  i love the integration but they seem to dissapoint even true enthusiasts

• 05-29-2009 4:42 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

MGBGTV8:

i dont understand why sd should be worse on mk IV watching say ch4 

Bizarre, isn't it? It's the same 1080P panel as the MKIII (albeit a newer version) and it's the same Sky HD input. However, the picture quality of SD is more like what you'd expect through scart. For example, if you watch a HD channel via scart, it looks 'wrong'. That's what SD via the new MKIV looks like.

However, I've now removed the scart lead, so it's HDMI-only.

Still crashes, too. But ONLY when watching Sky. If you watch DVB-HD, analogue TV or a DVD, it's fine!

• 05-29-2009 5:53 AM In reply to

so you can't watch sky hd via hmdi ?

and what's the dvb-hd for ?? there's no terrestrial hd channels until 2012

popgear is grate™

• 05-29-2009 6:30 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

No, watching Sky - which I've done since 2003 - results in a complete TV crash. I have to then switch it off/on at the mains, including all the other kit connected to that mains socket.

DVB-HD module is in preparation for terrestrial HD, I was told! Funny thing is though, when it scans for TV channels, it puts them all in bizarre order (BBC2 on channel 18, BBC1 on channel 19 etc). Known problem, I'm told. Other problem with DVB-HD is that it uses one of the 'external' HDMI sockets. So, two are in use when you receive the TV.

I'm wondering if the DVB-HD module, connected to HDMI, interferes with the Sky HD HDMI connection? ie. some kind of handshaking issue, which causes it to crash. If I remove the scart lead (required for controlling the Sky box), it crashes far less frequentely. If connected, it crashes every 15-20 minutes.

Called my dealer, but no conclusion. They are going to contact B&O tech support. Nothing else they can do or are prepared to do. I want my MKIII back!

• 05-29-2009 7:06 AM In reply to

so they're either ridiculously ahead of the game ( dvb hd ) or behind the times , very strange way of running a company

i wonder if the people who were behind solid bno products like the avant have all left bno and been replaced by a load of out of touch art students ?

i was all set to get one of these for the front room , now i think i'll save myself a few grand and get a bravia

popgear is grate™

• 05-29-2009 7:36 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

moxxey, you have the Film Mode in the original Service Menu and then the Film Judder Cancel in the Costumer Service menu.

I have set them to off both, but se the most diffrence turning the FILM MODE off in the Service menu. I will look in to it.

BL8000 MkII Black

• 05-29-2009 9:07 AM In reply to

• splud
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-11-2008
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

I have the BV8-40 and have turned off the film mode! The film mode was making the image seem unreal...Any other settings I should know about and try?

Splud

• 05-29-2009 10:12 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

BeoCare responed to my mail and said that it shuld be 1920x1080p 100Hz when you watching a SD 50Hz source.

And 1920x1080p 96Hz when you watching a 24p source.

A new firmvare will fix this interpolation issue! So now we don´t have 100Hz updating freqvens on the BV7 MkIV.

BL8000 MkII Black

• 05-29-2009 11:02 AM In reply to

• splud
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-11-2008
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

Check out my post, its all there..

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/26470.aspx

• 05-29-2009 12:37 PM In reply to

• Gerd
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 523
    • Bronze Member

Beolab:

We can just go in under Menu and press 00+Go to accsess the Service Menu, but the Costumer Service Menu dosen´t exist!

There IS a CSM!

It can be accesed by pressing RED then GO while the cursor is placed on the CONNECTIONS field.
    Then select ADJUSTMENTS and you will be able to switch the FILM MODE ON/OFF.

• 05-29-2009 1:44 PM In reply to

Moxxey,

I am with you, if this is now the standard of the products B&O release then I do not think that they will survive.

To have HDMI lead effectively pass thru  the chassis to connect to the board is sloppy at best, this is really p1$$ poor integration from a so called leader of the AV world. Once the customer finds out that they are truly being taken for a ride then they will not return again. 

If B&O do read these forums then they had better take notice of the dismay at the recent product releases particularly the software update issues as one or two products that fall short may be acceptable one after the other is not especially at the price level. They are not some quirky geeky hifi company they are a multinational brand.

B&O better shape up or they will be shipping out! 

Just my thoughts but I very much doubt I'm alone.

• 05-29-2009 2:02 PM In reply to

Beolife. I completely agree. I still have problems with my bv7-40... 3 software updates in 3 months.... One replacement TV (from 32 to 40) and after all thos crap of blaming other equipment such as ps3 and hdmi cables (!!) Hahaha.. They are increasing the prices by 10%!!! What a 5*1t business plan and way of working€ frankly I couldn't really care less if b and o go bust anymore. They have been reling on our good will for years and its us that are working for them. Instead some dealers we get are clowns (not mine thankfully), the after service is horse_faeses (sorry in advance) and they believe that making you feel like a valued customer is by sending a toiletpaper questionaire and some preprinted letter. I should get a phone call and a box of chocolates from denmark with compliments for that bloody money we pay for aluminium! You know what also, I read somewhere that special equipment was built so that they could 'brush' the aluminum of the bv7., ie make the aluminium have loads of littled lines for decor purposes... Etc etc... I noticed just today that the top of a coke can has the same effect! Seriously, I think I'm going to get a pair of bl9s afterall just because I can't afford the bl5s now, and whenever I can afford them, swap the bl9s instantly and then drop the b and o hobby until they actually do something decent with our money, like actually build something instead of rebadging
  • 05-29-2009 2:16 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Someone at B&O told me today that they were going to get a BV8-40 for their home to replace their aging 12-year-old CRT. Borrowed a unit over the weekend, watched some SD, then quickly realised that the real-life performance, for most users (who don't have the luxury of having HD), is dire. Far worse than even a 12-year-old CRT. Isn't it funny how dealers use BBC HD Preview to demonstrate their TVs. Only this, plus about three other channels, can be used to get the most from the current B&O LCDs.

I do wonder if B&O thoroughly test their new TVs with an SD source. I wonder who signs off a £10K as ready for consumer use, after seeing the average everyday performance of the TV for most of their users. ie. those who simply connect it up to analogue SD broadcasts or, if they are lucky, a Freeview source?

I find it somewhat laughable that this MKIV is worse for SD than the MKIII. I find it laughable that I receive my 4 x HDMI socketed TV to find that two 'external' HDMI sockets are used for internal modules. I find it laughable that the TV keeps crashing showing Sky TV, then has to be turned off and then on at mains to reset. I find it laughable that the Blu-ray internal player sounds like an old DVD drive from, say, 1997, it's that noisy. You barely could hear the old DVD drive. Now it's bizarrely noisy.

I'm struggling to find anything good to say about this MKIV. Blu-ray is, perhaps, a tad improved, but I'm also 95% sure that the audio performance is more poor than the same Blu-ray played through the PS3. I've seen Dark Knight a couple of times now and the audio was outstanding. Audio via the internal Blu-ray player was more acceptable than outstanding. Something isn't right. It's not decoding it correctly.

My dealer has agreed to give me back my MKIII (phew) and they are going to run their own internal tests in the store.

Page 3 of 5 (107 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >