in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-26-2009 6:41 AM by beojeff. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-25-2009 10:38 AM

benefit in waiting for 2nd, 3rd generation Bs5 over the next 2-3 years?

i will probably trade in my Bs9000 for a dealer's ex-demo Bc2 (only a few months old for 10& discount) in the next few weeks.  an attractive package with DVD, CD, Mp3, FM, DAB all in one in an elegant wrap... then in 2-3 years buy the latest Bs5 at the time. the Bc2 will go upstairs to the study or bedroom coupled to a TV to make a complete AV system.

although the software is updated weekly if need be, like the Bc2 an Bs9000 i'm wondering if it's better waiting for the 2nd and 3rd generation ones over the coming years. the later Bs9000s and Bc2 benefitted from hardware upgrades.

1. i suspect they will renovate the hardware to iron out some limitations but what do you think they might be?

2. is this a reasonable plan?

Smile

• 05-25-2009 10:50 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Re: benefit in waiting for 2nd, 3rd generation Bs5 over the next 2-3 years?

I have a BC2 and not particularly impressed with it - it also has sw issues, like my BV7. Visually fine, but it doesn't do very much. Very expensive DVD player. BS4 is much better value.

If you're going to buy a BC2 though, why not go to Lifestyle or MoreThan who will do one for around £1795, mint, and far less than a measly 10% discount? The BC2 hasn't changed much over the last year.

Will there be a 'second revision' BS5? Surely revisions will be software-based?

• 05-25-2009 2:44 PM In reply to

yes, of course there will be software updates just as there were for the Bs9000 and the Bc2 the only difference being that they are done whilst the unit is connected but they all underwent hardware revisions didn't they...

i'm just trying to grasp what realistic/constructive hardware updates people forsee and whether it's worth waiting for a couple of years rather than splashing out now?

what are the best guesstimates of possible hardware changes?

• 05-25-2009 3:10 PM In reply to

Two way remote control is what will be worth waiting for. I agree about the BC2. It is worth getting a late one with audible feedback for the cotrols though.

• 05-25-2009 3:38 PM In reply to

a 2 way remote really? now that does sound very tempting? my mind is boggling with ideas on how it work and what a pleasure it would be. i think that b&o's idea of it being purely hands-on is a bit short-sighted.

i suppose it's just great rumour and nothing from b&o yet?

thanks peter, yes i will ensure it has audible feedback.

Smile

• 05-25-2009 4:06 PM In reply to

• c1010
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Posts 14
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:

BC2 - SW issues?

Could you describe these issues!

• 05-25-2009 5:01 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Idiosyncrasies. For example, the BC2 often won't switch from CD to radio. Press 'CD', tries to switch to radio, goes back to CD etc. Does this three times before it finally switches. A few little sw-centric user issues.

However, I'm guessing that the BC2 I bought has had a sw/firmware upgrade since inception.

• 05-26-2009 6:41 AM In reply to

I agree with Moxxey about the BC2 having software issues. Earlier software versions were prone to repeating chapters on DVDs and required pressing "GO" after every button on the Beo4 to carry out the command. I just had the software updated on mine and it corrected these issues.

I think that the software updates for the BS5 via the internet will do much in keeping the unit up to date. I could see larger hard-drives being an area for future improvement of the BM5. However, an upcoming software update is planned to allow connected external hard-drives.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)