in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-22-2009 6:09 PM by sacarino. 38 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-11-2009 2:50 PM In reply to

• beoandy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Vienna
    • Posts 84
    • Gold Member

Re: Initial Review of Beo5 Configuration Tool Version 3.0.0.2

Stan:

Honestly, I'm afraid to upgrade now (so I will not until somebody figures this out), since mixed macros are one of the main reasons I went down this self-programmed Beo5 path.  I hope somebody can help you, because I'd like to upgrade.

Stan

if you need only mixed macros use the beo5 ct version 2.2. if you upgrade to 3.0.02 you can not go back to 2.2 anymore Sad (firmeware of the beo 5 goes to 1.41a) - if you need the ct version 2.2 let me know.

BS Ouverture, BS 9000, AV 9000, Avant 32 DVD, Avant 28, BS 4500, BC 9500, etc....

• 06-13-2009 5:08 AM In reply to

• KibitoCH
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-19-2009
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 82
    • Bronze Member

Some things i have experienced:

- The new Tool doesen't give you the ability to make Logo Buttons without Pictures. Meaning to use the Font only to send digits. Of course you can create them on your own. But if you have alot of Internet- Radio stations and dont want the pictures for them, you wont be able to use the channellist and have to make every button from scratch. This workd in the previous versions...

- It is nice to have a filter for the Logo's, you can select germany and only get those Logo's. The pre-made filters are worthless though, if you are in another country and have other Logo's you need on a daily basis. It whould be perfect if you could make your own filters. The search command is too time consuming if you have to find every Logo with it.

• 06-19-2009 2:56 AM In reply to

Over the past couple of weeks I have been reviewing many of the issues raised by the new version 3.0 including the points raised in this thread. I will be posting a complete list in the near future, but I have been currently researching the issue raised by Stan where you apparently get complete battery drain in the same way as happens (correctly) when you update the firmware.

I can confirm that I can now reproduce this problem consistently and whilst more work is needed to identify the exact cause, it appears to be linked to complexed configurations produced with version 2.2 which are subsequently modified/download using version 3.0

When you get the fault situation, the battery will not recharge and shows completely flat until you reload a previously working configuration. Subsequent to loading a previously working configuration, the battery returns to fully charged situation in a matter of minutes.

If other members have seen this problem I would be pleased if they would be so kind as to post their observations here to help narrow down the issue to a point where at least we can work around the issue

Whilst I believe B&O intended version 3.0 to be backward compatible with configurations produced by version 2.2, there are many situations where this is not the case particularly related to logo templates and modification of their IR commands.

Regards Keith....

• 07-08-2009 2:08 AM In reply to

• beoandy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Vienna
    • Posts 84
    • Gold Member

beoandy:

Santiago:

beoandy:
    the only problem i have ist with the mixed macros (b&o and for example epson beamer ir commands in one macro) 

result: complete blocking the beo5 screen till the battery ist empty!!!

firmware 1.41a configuration tool 3.0.0.2

Hello beoandy,

That's exactly my problem too !!! so definitely we are both in the same situation, using this new "software-firmware" combi.

The only solution I've found until now is: delete all the non-B&O commands inside all "mixed" macros Sad

remember that all those non-B&O commands works very well in stand alone "pure non-B&O" keys though.

Best regards.

perhaps santiago an i are the only one with this problem? who can help to solve this problem?

any news? i can not send mixed macros with the 1.41a 

i testet a configuration made with 3.0.0.2 and with some before.  always the same problem.

please help!

BS Ouverture, BS 9000, AV 9000, Avant 32 DVD, Avant 28, BS 4500, BC 9500, etc....

• 07-08-2009 2:38 AM In reply to

Hello Beoandy,

I regret to confirm your problem and I have not found a work around to the issue yet.

It is very disappointing that extra functionality has been added to the Beo5 Configuration Tool which has caused previously working functions to be unavailable. Whilst I think it was intended that the version 3.0 should be backward compatible with configurations made with 2.2, it is not. Worst still, they clearly did not re-test all the functionality before release of 3.0 because the issues are so obvious.

The software quality assurance processes which most "best practice" software company's use clearly have not been adopted at B&O or by their software sub-contractors which is very disappointing given that B&O prides itself on quality when it comes to physical products. B&O seems unable or unwilling to understand that software development requires far different processes, procedure and associated skills than making a physical product.

Whilst I am a very strong supporter of the Beo5 and want it to be very successful, I find myself being highly critical of the software and firmware development particularly of this latest version given the amount of time the product has been on the market. It may be a tool for the dealers, but if the dealers are unable to produce a workable configuration for their customers with minimum technical knowledge themselves is one reason why so many dealers are understandably not willing to produce anything other than a very basic configuration for their customers, which in turn causes dis-satisfaction.

As previously stated I am compiling a detailed list of issues which I will publish soon of which the problem you highlighted is one of them.

I have been able to implement "work arounds" for many of the issues, but as yet not this one.

Regards Keith....

• 07-08-2009 2:44 PM In reply to

• beoandy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Vienna
    • Posts 84
    • Gold Member

hello keith!

thank you for your extensive response!

is there a possibility to downgrade the firmeware to the version before 1.41a?

greetings from vienna

beoandy

• 07-09-2009 3:34 AM In reply to

Hi beoandy,

if you want to downgrade to 1.34a you have to install and use the old 1.30 version of the tool and modify the file: Beo5CT.exe.config in following lines. Change the value from 1.34a to 1.44a. Now the tool will downgrade the firmware.

<add key="Beo5RevD.bin" value="1.44a" />
    <
    add key="Beo5RevE.bin" value="1.44a" />
    <
    add key="Beo5RevF.bin" value="1.44a" />

• 07-31-2009 8:23 AM In reply to

Why, is it impossible to put in the same room, a Beovision 6 and a Beolab2000 ?? This Two product are in the kitchen.

I only have 3 room : a kitchen, a bedroom and a sitting room and the BeoCT forced me to creat another room.

Thank you for your answer, if anyone have a idea.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

BV7-40, BL9, BL4000, BL2000, BV6-26, Beosound 5, Avant70

• 07-31-2009 10:54 AM In reply to

The action is correct because the Beolab 2000 is a link product, so it will be forced to create the same buttons for both products which it cannot do in the same zone. An example of the same buttons are TV and DTV.

If you add the Beovision 6 to the Kitchen and then drag the Beolab 2000 over, it asks if it is OK to add a zone, if you accept it, it will create a Kitchen-1 zone. Now when you go to edit both zones you will have at least a TV button in both zones, yet one is being controlled from a link product and the other may or may not depending on what is the video master. That's the reason why it is in two zones. This is because of the design of the Configuration Tool and the configuration XML file

In the Beo5 world a zone does not always mean a room.

Assuming the option settings are already set in the Beolab 2000 and Beovision 6 and it is working correctly with a Beo4 in your kitchen, then just do not add the Beolab 2000 to your Beo5 configuration.

Regards Keith....

• 07-31-2009 5:34 PM In reply to

Keith Saunders:

Assuming the option settings are already set in the Beolab 2000 and Beovision 6 and it is working correctly with a Beo4 in your kitchen, then just do not add the Beolab 2000 to your Beo5 configuration.

Thank you for your answer, you are right, the best way is not to tell de Beo5 that there is a Beolab2000. When I'll press the sound, or the radio buton for exemple, the beolab 2000 will start has well as it was with the Beo4 ??

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

BV7-40, BL9, BL4000, BL2000, BV6-26, Beosound 5, Avant70

• 08-22-2009 12:20 PM In reply to

Keith Saunders:

[snip]

As previously stated I am compiling a detailed list of issues which I will publish soon of which the problem you highlighted is one of them.

I have been able to implement "work arounds" for many of the issues, but as yet not this one.

I have just bought a second-hand Beo5 (fw 1.20 but got automatically upgraded to fw. 1.41a when I finalized the first project) with CT (Beo5CTSetup_3.00.02) and I do experience the mentioned battery drain problems as well.

Here are my observations:

1) The person I bought it from had a working configuration with several B&O products. When I came home I started playing with Beo5 and seemed to work fine (although I didn't controlled anything because I don't have any B&O products).

2) I am the happy owner of a Roomba 560 (vacuum cleaner) and downloaded the configuration file (http://195.173.140.100/Beoworld/Beo5WebSite/Downloads.htm)

3) Just a comment: I created a zone but couldn't add the Roomba 560 alone. CT kept saying "Add a product first!". Anybody knows why? I added a B&O product (BC2 MKI in this case) then I could add Roomba 560.

4) I finalized the project and went directly to my Roomba to see whether I could control it. I pressed the three buttons "clean", "dock", "spot" in a random sequence and the after 5-10 seconds (!!) Beo5 shut down because the battery level was too low.

5) I recharged the battery around 30min. went back to my Roomba, pressed "clean" and Beo5 shut down immediately.

So I guess I am in the same boat as many others here in the forum?

Very frustrating No - thumbs down

• 08-22-2009 1:10 PM In reply to

sacarino:

I have just bought a second-hand Beo5 (fw 1.20 but got automatically upgraded to fw. 1.41a when I finalized the first project) with CT (Beo5CTSetup_3.00.02) and I do experience the mentioned battery drain problems as well.

Here are my observations:

1) The person I bought it from had a working configuration with several B&O products. When I came home I started playing with Beo5 and seemed to work fine (although I didn't controlled anything because I don't have any B&O products).

2) I am the happy owner of a Roomba 560 (vacuum cleaner) and downloaded the configuration file (http://195.173.140.100/Beoworld/Beo5WebSite/Downloads.htm)

3) Just a comment: I created a zone but couldn't add the Roomba 560 alone. CT kept saying "Add a product first!". Anybody knows why? I added a B&O product (BC2 MKI in this case) then I could add Roomba 560.

4) I finalized the project and went directly to my Roomba to see whether I could control it. I pressed the three buttons "clean", "dock", "spot" in a random sequence and the after 5-10 seconds (!!) Beo5 shut down because the battery level was too low.

5) I recharged the battery around 30min. went back to my Roomba, pressed "clean" and Beo5 shut down immediately.

So I guess I am in the same boat as many others here in the forum?

Very frustrating No - thumbs down

The first thing you need to be aware of is that for some (most) 3rd party products, the firmware is NOT backward OR forward compatible.

With regard to your comments related to item 3, the B&O Configuration Tool MUST have at least ONE B&O product added before a 3rd party product, because key elements get added to the configuration by adding that first B&O product which will also be needed by any 3rd party product subsequently added.

With regards to your item 4 & 5  -- When using the latest firmware and a RAW XML template (Roomba template uses RAW) which are either:-

• Not compatible with the firmware loaded in the Beo5; OR
    • Has the carrier frequency incorrectly set; OR
    • The carrier frequency uses the incorrect number of digits 5 vs. 2
    • The RAW string leaves the IR transmiters turned on

Then the battery will immediately go flat.

You must have loaded the Roomba template prior to the firmware update, so the best action to take is as follows:-

1. Turn the Beo5 off by holding the OK button for many seconds
    2. Charge the Beo5 on the charger for at least 2 hours
    3. Create a new configuration with just a B&O product and download it to the Beo5 and confirm the Beo5 works correctly
    4. If the Beo5 works correctly, add your Roomba template and download to the Beo5
    5. Check that the Roomba now works

Do not be frustrated as all the "Battery flat" issues have solutions.

Regards Keith....

• 08-22-2009 1:50 PM In reply to

Hi Keith,

Thank you very much for your fast and encouraging answer. Smile

It still sounds strange to me that I have to add a B&O product to be able to add a 3rp party product. The key elements could be added by default independently on whether you select a B&O or a non-B&O product. But Ok, I can easily live with that "workaround" solution.

You are correct, I did load the Roomba template prior to the firmware update.

I am now charging Beo5 as you suggest. I'll post a follow-up with the results when I try to control Roomba again.

• 08-22-2009 6:09 PM In reply to

I have done the steps you wrote above and now Beo5 seems to work great

Thank you once again, Keith.

Regards,

sacarino

Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2