in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-22-2009 6:09 PM by sacarino. 38 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-19-2009 3:28 PM

Initial Review of Beo5 Configuration Tool Version 3.0.0.2

The first thing you will notice about version 3.0 is that the installation programme forces you to uninstall your previous version, yet the documentation says you can run both versions on the same system. It's not a big issue because my initial review of the product is really quite positive.

The first thing I checked was if they had taken care of the Carrier Frequency issue meaning 2 or 5 digits in the XML file and I am very pleased to say that they have implemented the correct solution. The implemented solution means that you can have 2 digit (pre 1.40a firmware) or 5 digit (1.40a firmware) carrier frequency and it will be implemented in the downloaded serialised HEX file as 5 digits.

The user interface is very much better and there is quite a good rewrite of the help file.

This version appears to be fully compatible with configurations made with version 2.20 and 1.30, BUT certainly NOT earlier versions. So, configurations made with version 1.00, 1.02 or 1.10 can still be used, but cannot be updated and will have to be re-created from scratch if changes are needed to be made.

Version 3.0 comes with firmware version 1.41a. The Tool will update Beo5 firmware when you download a new configuration which is made very clear in the new download window with tabs for each task namely serialisation, firmware download and configuration download. Firmware version 1.41a is valid for all hardware versions

NOTE: When the firmware is updated, the battery level indicator is reset and must be recharged.

The following are the key developments in the product:-

• New and improved graphical user interface
    • Overview of all Beo5 client configurations by serial number
    • Keeps track of changes made in the form of a history file held in its own new directory in an XML file
    • Favourite lists for products, logo templates and button templates held in a new directory
    • User defined templates for zones, logos and buttons.
    • You are able to Import and export customer configuraions, zones, logo templates and button templates
    • A new tab has been added for logo configuring which has provided some considerable improvements
    • Able to search for logos
    • Users can now add a macro which allows you to jump to other pages which is a very useful addition
    • Synchronisation of emulators in Edit and View tabs
    • Updated and improved help section

B&O have also fixed a few key outstanding issues:-

• When you have edited a hard key with 3rd party codes and then tried to see the output in the emulator, no output will be shown, yet once download it would work correctly
    • If you have added a delay between commands in a buttons then the delay shows "error!" in IR Properties, but in fact there is nothing wrong
    • If a radio station number starts with a "0" e.g. 0101 the first 0 it will not be sent with this version which solves a problem with some STB's
    • If the serialisation fails with errors or you cancel it, the tool previously wrote the previously produced BIN file to the Beo5
    • If you used DVD2 in a link room it would previously translate into DVD4
    • When you use the "Edit Logo button" the drop down box is disabled, so the delay cannot be changed.
    • If you copy a Channel button it was linked back to the original button you copied from
    • There was a difference between delays in templates and logo edit when they should be the same

Generally, my first impressions are good, I have setup four configurations without any real problems and there do not appear to be any compatiblity issues that I have found yet.

Perhaps dealers and members who find issues with this new version could kindly post the problem here.

Regards Keith....

• 05-19-2009 11:39 PM In reply to

• Yendys
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 100
    • Founder

Re: Initial Review of Beo5 Configuration Tool Version 3.0.0.2

Excellent review Keith, thanks.

Is this new version for B&O retail outlet release (internal) only or for General Availability for us to configure at home?

BV10, AvantDVD, BS3000, BL8000, BL6000, BL4000, BL3500, BeoPorts, BC9300, BC7002, CX100s, C75s, Beo4s, BC6000s, LC2s, A9, A8s,

• 05-20-2009 1:07 AM In reply to

As with all versions of the Beo5 Configuration Tool it is/was intended for B&O dealers only, to provide a service to their customers and not for general release to customers. However, a large number of dealers provide a copy when a Beo5 has been sold and so many B&O customers have the tool.

Regards Keith....

• 05-20-2009 2:31 PM In reply to

Hi Keith i fully appreciate your expertise with the software.  Is their any way the configuration software can be made available on this site or do you have to get a copy from either a dealer or a copy of another B & O enthusiast.  i have had my Beo5 for about 3 months and need to make a few tweaks here and their but would like to conduct this myself rather than visit my nearest dealer which is some miles away.  

Many Thanks in advance

Carl Sheerman

• 05-20-2009 2:51 PM In reply to

The software is available only from dealer. They are not able to give it to end users.

However the previous version of the software had been made available on this page of a danish forum : http://www.hifi4all.dk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46053&PN=0&TPN=19

I hope someone will be generous enough to share the latest version.

p.

• 05-22-2009 4:00 PM In reply to

Keith Saunders:

The following are the key developments in the product:-

• You are able to Import and export customer configuraions, zones, logo templates and button templates

Hi Keith

Does this mean that you can now import a configuration from Beo5 onto your PC ?

My Bang & Olufsen....

• BeoCenter 2 DAB/DVD mk.II
    • BeoVision 7-40 DVD mk.III
    • BeoLab Penta mk.III
    • BeoLab 4000 icepower
    • BeoLab 4000
    • BeoLab 3500
    • Beo 5
    • Beo 4 mk.I & mk.III
    •  
    • Beocom 6000
    •  
    • A8 Earphones

• 05-23-2009 2:23 AM In reply to

NO, it means you can take a configuration and import or export into teh Configuration Tool.

Regards Keith....

• 05-29-2009 7:00 AM In reply to

Keith Saunders:
    Perhaps dealers and members who find issues with this new version could kindly post the problem here.

Hello Keith!

I'm now using this last BeoCT 3.0.0.2 version and my beo5 firmware has been also correctly upgraded to 1.41a version with no issues at all.

Everything works fine with only ONE exception:

Now I cannot mix B&O commands with non-B&O commands in the same macro; for example: shut-down LC2 lights and Sony TV at the same time, or turn on V.AUX2 source and Philips DVD player, even using the macros which worked fine with the previous version...

result when I press those "mixed" macro keys: beo5 stays completely blocked and battery get instantaneously drained!! Surprise

Those same non-B&O commands (usually ON and OFF) work absolutely fine as stand alone keys Huh?

By the way, the NAVIGATION feature (window jump) is really useful and works like a charm !!! Yes -  thumbs up

Best regards.

Santiago

• 05-29-2009 9:57 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

When I first programmed my brand new Beo5 with the previous software/firmware (1.40a), I had a similar battery drain problem.  Every time I reprogrammed it and tested, I would get an empty battery.  I suppose it could have been macros (with 3rd party commands included) because that is what I was testing (turn on/off the cable, tv and speakers).  I was worried.  Threads on this site indicated that 1.40a fixed this problem and here I was experiencing it.  However, I had to travel a couple days and left it sitting in the charger (my wife and kids had a go with it while  I was gone but it was barely programmed so there wasn't much they could do), and it has been fine ever since. 

I wonder if loading new firmware triggers some kind of odd battery recalibration that takes a day or two to resolve itself?

Stan

• 05-29-2009 10:59 AM In reply to

Stan:
    When I first programmed my brand new Beo5 with the previous software/firmware (1.40a), I had a similar battery drain problem.  Every time I reprogrammed it and tested, I would get an empty battery.

That's very strange Stan, I've NEVER experienced this sudden battery drain problem with 1.40a firmware during some months of daily use and hundreds of software downloads; it's only now with the new 1.41a firmware that I met this problem: beo5 complete blocking screen + sudden battery draining, when clicking in "mixed" macro keys;

in addition, those problematic "mixed" macros are both: brand new ones created from scratch or imported from the previous version; all of them fails everytime.

Regards.

Santiago

• 05-30-2009 6:49 PM In reply to

• beoandy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Vienna
    • Posts 84
    • Gold Member

Santiago:

Stan:
    When I first programmed my brand new Beo5 with the previous software/firmware (1.40a), I had a similar battery drain problem.  Every time I reprogrammed it and tested, I would get an empty battery.

That's very strange Stan, I've NEVER experienced this sudden battery drain problem with 1.40a firmware during some months of daily use and hundreds of software downloads; it's only now with the new 1.41a firmware that I met this problem: beo5 complete blocking screen + sudden battery draining, when clicking in "mixed" macro keys;

in addition, those problematic "mixed" macros are both: brand new ones created from scratch or imported from the previous version; all of them fails everytime.

Regards.

exact the same problem on my beo5!!! BeoCT 3.0.0.2 - 1.41a

BS Ouverture, BS 9000, AV 9000, Avant 32 DVD, Avant 28, BS 4500, BC 9500, etc....

• 05-31-2009 4:44 AM In reply to

Stan,

Please note my statement highlighted in RED in the first posting of this thread..

Regards Keith....

• 05-31-2009 9:24 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Keith Saunders:

Stan,

Please note my statement highlighted in RED in the first posting of this thread..

Yes, I saw that, but my experience was a little more confusing (at least to me).  It would show fully charged, then press a button, and it would show battery flat and turn off.  I'd stick it on the charger again and in a few minutes, it would show fully charged.  I would then re-program and the behavior would repeat.  Sitting in charger overnight seemed to fix it...  Hence, my comment that some type of recalibration was taking place.

Stan

• 05-31-2009 10:45 AM In reply to

• beoandy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Vienna
    • Posts 84
    • Gold Member

okay, i have no problem with the battery indicator! the only problem i have ist with the mixed macros (b&o and for example epson beamer ir commands in one macro) 

result: complete blocking the beo5 screen till the battery ist empty!!!

firmware 1.41a configuration tool 3.0.0.2

BS Ouverture, BS 9000, AV 9000, Avant 32 DVD, Avant 28, BS 4500, BC 9500, etc....

• 05-31-2009 2:34 PM In reply to

beoandy:
    the only problem i have ist with the mixed macros (b&o and for example epson beamer ir commands in one macro) 

Hello beoandy,

That's exactly my problem too !!! so definitely we are both in the same situation, using this new "software-firmware" combi.

The only solution I've found until now is: delete all the non-B&O commands inside all "mixed" macros Sad

remember that all those non-B&O commands works very well in stand alone "pure non-B&O" keys though.

Best regards.

Santiago

• 05-31-2009 6:58 PM In reply to

Anyone tried to install the latest version on Windows 7? The previous version is a no-go. The application installs correctly but Win7 can't load the driver for the Beo5 when it's connected.

Karel.

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 06-01-2009 2:54 AM In reply to

• Maksim
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-27-2009
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

I have the same problem when I use in macros commands generated in XML Generator. If macros consist of CT's third party commands like Merten 2010 F1 F2 all work great.

• 06-01-2009 5:33 AM In reply to

Maksim:

I have the same problem when I use in macros commands generated in XML Generator. If macros consist of CT's third party commands like Merten 2010 F1 F2 all work great.

You're absolutely right Maksim, I must clarify this;

When I talk about the problems caused by "non-B&O" commands in mixed macros,  I only talk about the third party commands created with the "Beo5 3rd Party XML Generator 1.1.0.0" software, NOT about the third party commands provided inside the "Beo5 Configuration Tool 3.00" itself.

Regards.

Santiago

• 06-03-2009 1:08 AM In reply to

Dear Colleague,

Who can help to solve this problem?

• 06-06-2009 6:21 PM In reply to

• Frankyman
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-05-2008
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

Hello Keith,

Can you please tell me what error this is and what can I do about this.

Configuration tool 3.0.02 and udate 1.41a :

The beo5 works perfect and a can't see any faults.

Greetings Frank

Serialization started ...

Parsing beo 4 config ...

Beo 4 configuration parsed. Nr of buttons =476. Time elapsed (ms) =390

Parsing beo 5 config ...

Beo 5 configuration parsed. Nr of buttons =406. Time elapsed (ms) =844

Checking buttons ...

ERROR: [527] "ZONES\WOONKAMER\SCENE\SPEAKERMODE1.5\MODE4" source_subItem  displayable with height=0 width=0

ERROR: [528] "ZONES\WOONKAMER\SCENE\SPEAKERMODE1.5\MODE5" source_subItem  displayable with height=0 width=0

ERROR: [529] "ZONES\WOONKAMER\SCENE\SPEAKERMODE1.5\OPTIMIZESPEAKER" source_subItem  displayable with height=0 width=0

ERROR: [530] "ZONES\WOONKAMER\SCENE\SPEAKERMODE1.5\MODE1" source_subItem  displayable with height=0 width=0

ERROR: [531] "ZONES\WOONKAMER\SCENE\SPEAKERMODE1.5\MODE2" source_subItem  displayable with height=0 width=0

ERROR: [532] "ZONES\WOONKAMER\SCENE\SPEAKERMODE1.5\MODE3" source_subItem  displayable with height=0 width=0

ERROR: [533] "ZONES\WOONKAMER\SCENE\SPEAKERMODE1.5\DIGITS\1" source_item  displayable with height=0 width=0

ERROR: [534] "ZONES\WOONKAMER\SCENE\SPEAKERMODE1.5\DIGITS\2" source_item  displayable with height=0 width=0

ERROR: [535] "ZONES\WOONKAMER\SCENE\SPEAKERMODE1.5\DIGITS\3" source_item  displayable with height=0 width=0

ERROR: [536] "ZONES\WOONKAMER\SCENE\SPEAKERMODE1.5\DIGITS\4" source_item  displayable with height=0 width=0

ERROR: [537] "ZONES\WOONKAMER\SCENE\SPEAKERMODE1.5\DIGITS\5" source_item  displayable with height=0 width=0

ERROR: [538] "ZONES\WOONKAMER\SCENE\SPEAKERMODE1.5\DIGITS\6" source_item  displayable with height=0 width=0

ERROR: [539] "ZONES\WOONKAMER\SCENE\SPEAKERMODE1.5\DIGITS\7" source_item  displayable with height=0 width=0

ERROR: [540] "ZONES\WOONKAMER\SCENE\SPEAKERMODE1.5\DIGITS\8" source_item  displayable with height=0 width=0

ERROR: [541] "ZONES\WOONKAMER\SCENE\SPEAKERMODE1.5\DIGITS\9" source_item  displayable with height=0 width=0

ERROR: [542] "ZONES\WOONKAMER\SCENE\SPEAKERMODE1.5\DIGITS\0" source_item  displayable with height=0 width=0

ERROR:"ZONES\WOONKAMER\SCENE\SPEAKERMODE1.5\DIGITS",id=543 has multiple nav left buttons:<533><534><535><536><537><538><539><540><541><542>

ERROR: [544] "ZONES\WOONKAMER\SCENE\SPEAKERMODE1.5" source_item  displayable with height=0 width=0

ERROR:"ZONES\WOONKAMER\SCENE\SPEAKERMODE1.5",id=544 has multiple nav left buttons:<527><528><529><530><531><532>

Deleting unused images ...

4 image(s) of 42 images deleted

Unused imaged deleted.

Time elapsed (ms) =0

Serializing configuration ...

Configuration serialized.

Nr of bytes serialized = 399856(~390 Kbytes)

Time elapsed (ms) =109

Creating the configuration file ...

Configuration file created

Time elapsed (ms)= 438

Serialization done.

Total elapsed time(ms) = 1797(~1,797 s )

DONE, but errors occured during serialization.Better not to use this configuration.

SAVED

• 06-08-2009 8:21 AM In reply to

Maybe some of the values in the RAW code is to short.

• 06-08-2009 8:37 AM In reply to

Frank,

If you upload your "Configuration.xml" file HERE then I will have a look at it.

It is more than likely that you have deleted some item(s) which has caused this problem. The Configuration Tool is very bad at handling the deletion of items and I always recommend that unwanted items should be hidden and not deleted.

Whilst everything appears fine, next time you add something is when you are likely to see problems.

Regards Keith....

• 06-08-2009 4:40 PM In reply to

• Frankyman
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-05-2008
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

Dear Keith,

I wil do that.

Thanks so far

Frank

• 06-11-2009 12:30 PM In reply to

• beoandy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Vienna
    • Posts 84
    • Gold Member

Santiago:

beoandy:
    the only problem i have ist with the mixed macros (b&o and for example epson beamer ir commands in one macro) 

Hello beoandy,

That's exactly my problem too !!! so definitely we are both in the same situation, using this new "software-firmware" combi.

The only solution I've found until now is: delete all the non-B&O commands inside all "mixed" macros Sad

remember that all those non-B&O commands works very well in stand alone "pure non-B&O" keys though.

Best regards.

perhaps santiago an i are the only one with this problem? who can help to solve this problem?

• 06-11-2009 2:33 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Honestly, I'm afraid to upgrade now (so I will not until somebody figures this out), since mixed macros are one of the main reasons I went down this self-programmed Beo5 path.  I hope somebody can help you, because I'd like to upgrade.

Stan

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >