in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-13-2009 3:20 PM by yachadm. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-09-2009 5:12 PM

cd 5500

Hi all,

im resurrecting this again,

I posted a message at Easter re a dead 5500. Birgerbum gave some advice about cleaning he laser (thanks) to reiterate what happend, I bought this sometime as working ( the seller said it was tested ok before dispatch and I have no reason to doubt his honesty) Any i decided to keep it.

This is what happens : On power up It only displays a decimal point on the display ( dot)- is this normal ?

The transport works normally, one a CD is inserted and play is pressed the  the track dispay comes on, the disc will do more or less one revolution then it will spin fast ( not sure if it gets to speed) then stops. the laser assembly seems to track ok however as started previously the laser seems very dim. ( of course I haven't looked into it !!!!!!!! ).

I have cleaned the lens with a cotton bud and some cleaner. Presumably the actual laser and lens is a sealed unit so it won't be dust on the laser itself ?.

I have also pulled up the main pcb and checked all the connection they seem ok. Oh and I forgot to mention it will do all of the above with no disc present as well. I really would like to get this going.

Kind regards

Steve

• 05-09-2009 7:01 PM In reply to

Re: cd 5500

Hi Steve

Your problem could be a burnt out laserpickup,but I think you have to measure the cap's on the mainboard( if you dont know what cap's are they are also named as electrolytic  condensators) to see if some of them are shortened ore unable to charge anymore,if thats the case the voltage for the laser is too low and it cannot read the cd.If the laser itself are gone there is a german site where you maybe can get a new one but the price is high I will reply with the adress

regards

jan

er

• 05-09-2009 7:07 PM In reply to

Hi Steve

Here are the link to the german sitehttp://www.ersatzteil.justone-schnepel.de/index.html

regards

jan

• 05-10-2009 3:49 AM In reply to

The problem is usually C2103 on the servo board (module 30 in the service manual). If you do a search on the forum (entire site) you will find a wealth of information on this subject.

The same problem affects most of the B&O range of cd players since they almost all use a Philips cd mech and most Philips cd mechs of the era use the same or very similar servo board.

I have never had a bad laser and C2103 is almost always the culprit, in isolation, or sometimes in combination with the other electrolyitic capacitors on the board.

Regards Graham

• 05-10-2009 7:46 AM In reply to

Gent's

as usual thanks for the quick reply, can someone  tell me the location of C2103 on the servo board, unfortunately I do not have a workshop manual, but will try and change it tomorrow and see what happens.

Many Thanks

Steve

• 05-10-2009 8:13 AM In reply to

Hi Steve

First you have to remove the top of the 5500 there are two screws in the back don't remove them entirely just loosen them and pull them upwards.Then remove the mainboard there are as far as I remmember 8 screws and take it aside then you can see the servoboard in the bottom.Remove the flatcable remember to "unlock" it first be very carefull when doing so then remove the other cables and unscrew it.Then change the c2103 it must be the same phillips type and when you are at it change all other electrolytic caps on the servo board as well.Hope this will solve your problem

regards

jan

• 05-10-2009 9:51 AM In reply to

StrangeSteve:

Gent's

as usual thanks for the quick reply, can someone  tell me the location of C2103 on the servo board, unfortunately I do not have a workshop manual, but will try and change it tomorrow and see what happens.

Many Thanks

Steve

If you upgrade your membership of the forum to silver (£15) you can download the service manual which includes drawings of the board showing component locations.

Regards Graham

• 05-10-2009 11:41 AM In reply to

Jan,

looking at the board with the diode  signal processor and the ribbon connector on the bottom right I assume C2103 is the 16v 33uf just to the left of the TDA ?.

should the 47uf  and the 22uf  Electrolytics also be replaced ?

Thanks

Steve.

• 05-10-2009 11:44 AM In reply to

Graham are you aware if these philips caps can be sourced in the UK, other post's in the forum suggest that most of the time only the philips specific ones will do the trick ?

Thanks

Steve

• 05-10-2009 12:34 PM In reply to

No UK source as far as I'm aware. I use 47 uF as I believe 33's are not made any longer. The Philips company that made this particular capacitor was bought by BC Components and they were further aquired by Vishay I believe. There are internet sources in the US who will supply 1's and 2's. Again, this has been the subject of posts by one of our members in Israel (yachadm) so suggest a PM to him would get you the info you need.

Regards Graham

• 05-10-2009 12:51 PM In reply to

Hi Steve

Yes

regards

jan

• 05-10-2009 1:01 PM In reply to

Yes, BC Components is now part of Vishay, and this particular cap family is designated AML138 (or 138AML? I forget). And yes, they make 33u/25V as well, although 47u has been in my experience a better choice (the player will not be so picky about the quality of CD-R's).

These are available for example from www.digikey.com and I bought mine from www.segor.de, although yachadm might be the most convenient source Smile

-mika

• 05-11-2009 10:42 AM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

Gentlemen,

Your recommendations do me a real honor!

Steve, here is a picture of both the 47uF and 33uF 25V, series MAL2 138 caps (L=18mm; Diam = 8mm, 6mm respectively).

I agree that 47uF would be the better choice.

Pricing (up to 10 pieces): EDIT - US$, not GBP

33uF/25V  US$1.65

47uF/25V US$1.80

Postage anywhere in Europe is US$4.50 Registered.

Please add 5% to cover the Paypal commissions. 

Regards

Menahem

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

• 05-13-2009 3:20 PM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

After replacing the caps, the laser current should be readjusted.

I've posted a short Workshop how to do this, here.

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/26384.aspx

Menahem

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)