in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-10-2009 6:17 AM by BeoMatt. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-07-2009 2:23 PM

• BeoMatt
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-13-2007
    • Norwich
    • Posts 51
    • Bronze Member

B&O System speaker cable advice sort

Big Smile Hi, I wondered if anyone can advise me on the best cable to connect Red Line passive speakers to a Beosystem 8500 ? I have some original old B&O leads with fixed two pin plugs but the legnth is a bit short, alternatevly I have some massive flat heavy duty core cables that could potentially be terminated with B&O style two pin plugs. I just wondered if a higher continuity and massive x section will efffect B&O components ? I am sure I have read that the thinner wires supplied with B&O systems are rated ? and larger cables may effect sensitive components ? Any advice would be welcome cheers Matt

• 05-07-2009 2:36 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: B&O System speaker cable advice sort

You don't need to go overboard with cable in my experience. Any decent cable terminated with 2 pin DIN plugs will do. The original B&O stuff is fine but nothing particularly speacial.

I wouldn't use the heavy stuff you have as it will be very difficult to fit into the DIN plugs and there is a very real chance a couple of stray strands will cause a short in the plug body.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 05-07-2009 2:42 PM In reply to

Agree with Chris about thick cables and the potential to short a couple of stray strands, as this happened to me a while ago with some thick cabling, non-compliant DIN plugs and my BM8000. Thankfully the 8000 can handle anything, and a few whisps of smoke were the only price to pay. Not sure I'd be so lucky with my 6000 Quad!

I now use QED Micro cabling with my systems as it's easy to hide in long cable runs. No probs with the 8000 amp and BV Pentas either Cool

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 05-07-2009 2:46 PM In reply to

• BeoMatt
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-13-2007
    • Norwich
    • Posts 51
    • Bronze Member

SurpriseYou where very lucky, I aim to get a pair of active speakers in the not to distant future, thankyou for all your advice so far, matt

• 05-07-2009 3:06 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

BeoMatt:

SurpriseYou where very lucky, I aim to get a pair of active speakers in the not to distant future, thankyou for all your advice so far, matt

From an electrical point of view you won't harm your system regardless of the cable size you use, the B&O stuff would be adequate (why would they make good amps and good speakers and then sell cable that adversly afeected their performance). I wouldn't use any thinner than that.

As the others have mentioned going too large may give physical problems with the connections etc.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 05-07-2009 5:02 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Matt, how long do you need the cables? Somwher I have a pair of originall B&O cables. They have been soldered and benn heat shrinked in the middle, as they were used with a Cona at some point. You are more than welcome to them for nothing.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 05-07-2009 5:10 PM In reply to

• BeoMatt
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-13-2007
    • Norwich
    • Posts 51
    • Bronze Member

Smile About 3.5 Meters, that is very generous of you Craig, if there is anything your after then please let me know, please allow me to offer something in return paying for the p&p ? rsvp Matt

• 05-08-2009 2:08 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Matt, drop me a PM with your address. Should be able to find them over the Weekend.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 05-08-2009 2:17 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Beoworld at its best!Yes -  thumbs upYes -  thumbs upYes -  thumbs up

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-10-2009 6:17 AM In reply to

• BeoMatt
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-13-2007
    • Norwich
    • Posts 51
    • Bronze Member

Big Smile You are the best thankyou so much, if there is anything I can do in return just ask matt

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)