in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-07-2009 6:50 AM by Flappo The Grate. 42 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (43 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-03-2009 6:26 PM

• Scud
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-12-2008
    • Australia
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

Updates

Hi;

i was just wondering. Is it possible for B&O to update a BV model. For example; lets say if i have BV7-40 III and the IV is released, can they update the III to bring it to the same specs and have the same features of the IV?

• 05-03-2009 6:49 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Re: Updates

Yes and no. The big improvement with the MKIV is the Blu-ray DVD player which can be added to your MKIII. However, the MKIV should bring a new LCD panel, which will include 100Hz support.

However, I think the difference between the MKIII and MKIV will be minimal. Indeed, I'm kind of preparing myself to be disappointed. Problem is, I don't know if I'll be able to compare a MKIII and MKIV side-by-side with the same picture.

• 05-03-2009 6:52 PM In reply to

I think there are a few of us asking the same question, especially regarding the model you mention. I know the DVD module can be replaced for a newer Bluray module. Software updates are continually being released but to what extent they will actually improve picture quality, I don't know. I suspect version IV will have a newer Samsung LCD panel. which is a key component we won't be able to change so easily! As for 50hz and 100hz I don't know if that can be achieved by software on existing panel types.

It will be interesting to see if there is much of a difference in picture quality between the two models. I am guessing the newer one might have a higher contrast ratio and display blacks better if it is a later panel. I can't wait to see if there are notable differences when watching standard definition on the two sets.

Simon.

• 05-03-2009 6:55 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

The_Beonic_Man:

I can't wait to see if there are notable differences when watching standard definition on the two sets.

I honestly don't think that will be any better. Indeed, it might be worse! LCD panels show every flaw 'as is' so we might see an even more improved HD picture, but a poorer SD, if that's possible. Who knows.

I don't think 100hz (or 200Hz, for that matter) can be achieved through a sw fix. I think it has to be a combination of panel and sw.

• 05-03-2009 6:59 PM In reply to

moxxey:

The_Beonic_Man:

I can't wait to see if there are notable differences when watching standard definition on the two sets.

I honestly don't think that will be any better. Indeed, it might be worse! LCD panels show every flaw 'as is' so we might see an even more improved HD picture, but a poorer SD, if that's possible. Who knows.

I don't think 100hz (or 200Hz, for that matter) can be achieved through a sw fix. I think it has to be a combination of panel and sw.

Interesting times ahead ... possibly. In another thread you mentioned about upgrading your model to the newer one, and I now realise through reading posts tonight that I have this coming week to make the same decision before prices are hiked up 10%. Do you have any idea of the cost of swapping over?

Simon.

• 05-04-2009 4:01 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

The_Beonic_Man:

Interesting times ahead ... possibly. In another thread you mentioned about upgrading your model to the newer one, and I now realise through reading posts tonight that I have this coming week to make the same decision before prices are hiked up 10%. Do you have any idea of the cost of swapping over?

Simon.

I genuinely don't know, but clearly couldn't give my dealer's price in the public forum, anyhow. They've not got back to me yet and everytime I discuss a trade-in, I'm told that they haven't received the price for the forthcoming BV7-40 MKIV and, without it, can't give me a trade-in price.

If it's due to rise by 10% on the 8th of May then the panel is going to be around £600 more expensive than the current RRP. That increase would have to be incorporated in to a trade-in price. I fear that we would be able to a) make a decision and b) do the deal before the 8th - it's the 4th today.

If the price is what I think it is going to be (based on my original trade-in value on the BV7-32), but might not justify the upgrade.

• 05-04-2009 5:43 AM In reply to

If the price was £600 or thereabouts I might be interested.

• 05-04-2009 6:29 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

The_Beonic_Man:

If the price to migrate from version to version was only £600 I think we'd all have one - unfortunately this isn't going to be the caseSad If I had to guess I'd reckon on about £3K - of course that is a pure and utter guess on my part.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 05-04-2009 7:52 AM In reply to

• JoC
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-20-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 121
    • Bronze Member

I was talking to my dealer, and to get swap out the MKIII for the MKIV I would have to pay in the region of approx £3.5k (but then I suppose  we do get an upgraded screen, BluRay, and whatever the new BeoSystem3 can do!!), but again this price is only valid until the 8th. Decisions, decisions... what to do...

It would seem that the upgrade from the DVD to BluRay is going to about £400-£600 tho.

• 05-04-2009 9:27 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

The_Beonic_Man:

Simon, are you being serious? You'd expect a dealer to take your BV7-40 for only £600 less than RRP? How would the dealer make a mark-up on this when selling second hand?

I'd be surprised if a dealer offered more than £4000 for the BV7-40 MKIII. You can figure the difference between the RRP and that trade-in price.

• 05-04-2009 9:29 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

JoC:

I was talking to my dealer, and to get swap out the MKIII for the MKIV I would have to pay in the region of approx £3.5K

That's more than I expected - I expected to pay around a £2K-£2.5K difference between my MKIII and MKIV trade-in, based on the difference between BV7-32 and BV7-40 trade-in.

I wouldn't do it for that much. I don't think there are enough enhancements to justify the price.

• 05-04-2009 9:37 AM In reply to

I think simon was talking about the cost to upgrade and not to tradein?

Even 600GBP would be pushing it to replace the panel.

• 05-04-2009 9:42 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

To be frank, I'm amazed at the pre-owned prices of the early BV7's - I find it very hard to understand (and I've got my tin hat on) why anyone would pay thousands now for a TV with an early LCD panel, even one with an aluminium frame!

• 05-04-2009 10:57 AM In reply to

Well I certainly won't be paying any of the prices mentioned so far! I think I'll hang on until the Mark V and then, possibly, consider a trade in! £3,000, unbelievable. The Mark III is only 1 year old! Who would accept such a big loss? Even for £2,000 I wouldn't do it. Guess that means I am stuck with my Mark III. Probably best to just trade it in against a BV9 and be done with it. That's going to be the best deal of them all.

Simon.

• 05-04-2009 2:04 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

The_Beonic_Man:

Probably best to just trade it in against a BV9 and be done with it. That's going to be the best deal of them all.

The way the market is now, and trade-ins on offer (it seems few dealers want to be sitting on 'old' stock), you'd possibly only get £6K from the soon-to-be £14.5K BV9. That means you'd have to find another £8K.

Finding a 'loose' £8K lying around isn't easy even for the super-rich ;)

If dealers are only prepared to give us £2.3K (RRP £5850 - £3500 required to upgrade) for our BV7-40, I guess it's going to be more fruitful to try and sell second-hand, ourselves.

• 05-05-2009 2:51 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

JoC:

I was talking to my dealer, and to get swap out the MKIII for the MKIV I would have to pay in the region of approx £3.5k

Heard back from my dealer who said my upgrade is going to be closer to £4K on top of the traded-in BV7-40 MKIII and this is *before* the price increase on the 8th.

This means a dealer is only prepared to pay £1900 for a one-year-old BV7-40 MKIII panel with a RRP of £5900! How times have changed. This must affect our future B&O purchase decisions as the TV products are now not holding their trade-in value as in the near past?

• 05-05-2009 4:10 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

moxxey:

JoC:

I was talking to my dealer, and to get swap out the MKIII for the MKIV I would have to pay in the region of approx £3.5k

Heard back from my dealer who said my upgrade is going to be closer to £4K on top of the traded-in BV7-40 MKIII and this is *before* the price increase on the 8th.

This means a dealer is only prepared to pay £1900 for a one-year-old BV7-40 MKIII panel with a RRP of £5900! How times have changed. This must affect our future B&O purchase decisions as the TV products are now not holding their trade-in value as in the near past?

Hence my comment about pre-owned TV prices for outdated technology - the days of buying a 5 year old TV and expecting another 5 years from it have long since gone, flat panel TV's are now commodity items regardless of the party frock it's dressed in.

I wonder how much a 1 year old BeoSystem3 is worth?

• 05-05-2009 4:37 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Puncher:

Hence my comment about pre-owned TV prices for outdated technology - the days of buying a 5 year old TV and expecting another 5 years from it have long since gone, flat panel TV's are now commodity items regardless of the party frock it's dressed in.

I agree and disagree. I only disagree as the type of people who buy B&O do not look for Blu-ray and the differences between the MKIII and forthcoming MKIV. Indeed, you could put the Blu-ray module in my TV, give users a £1500 discount, and they'd seriously consider.

Problem is that there probably a fewer people walking in to their dealers and seeking second-hand B&O kit now there are so many Lifestyle's, MoreThan's and so on, in that field. The dealer doesn't want stock lying around.

Still, my point is valid too - it means that anyone buying a £10K BV7-40 now is going have to plan on keeping that long-term. if they want to upgrade in three years, it won't be worth more than £2K.

• 05-05-2009 4:45 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

moxxey:

Puncher:

I agree and disagree. I only disagree as the type of people who buy B&O do not look for Blu-ray and the differences between the MKIII and forthcoming MKIV. Indeed, you could put the Blu-ray module in my TV, give users a £1500 discount, and they'd seriously consider.

Problem is that there probably a fewer people walking in to their dealers and seeking second-hand B&O kit now there are so many Lifestyle's, MoreThan's and so on, in that field. The dealer doesn't want stock lying around.

Still, my point is valid too - it means that anyone buying a £10K BV7-40 now is going have to plan on keeping that long-term. if they want to upgrade in three years, it won't be worth more than £2K.

I think we agree, my point was that what was possible in the past (regarding trade ins etc) doesn't really apply now, the technology is moving much too fast and a TV is much less likely to have a 10 service year life, as did the CRT models, therefore the (higher) initial purchase price/value will erode much quicker than before.

• 05-05-2009 5:13 PM In reply to

I do not see any correlation between 'trade in' value and 'service life'. The BV7 will still last as long as any CRT ever did with a perfectly satisfactory picture and better sound - up to 40,000 hours I believe.

Trade - in value may be painful now, but only if you opt in to the upgrade game :) 

• 05-05-2009 5:46 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Peter2:

Trade - in value may be painful now, but only if you opt in to the upgrade game :) 

But the whole point in B&O was that it kept an excellent trade-in value.

I guess I'm the only one that is suprised that the trade-in value of a 1-year-old MKIII BV7-40 shouldn't be only £1900 :)

• 05-05-2009 6:15 PM In reply to

Thats a Hell of a DROP...Will make me think again if trade-ins going to be that low and how much would a dealer add on top of that £1,000..£2000? I know they have to make something!

Hello Sir..We have a Bv 7-40 Mk3 for £4000 a big saving if you don't want the mk 4

Shame about the trade-in?????? But a nice re-sale maybe?? for the dealer?

I was hopeing to up grade will just have to see now.

Bv7-55 & Bv7-32...Blue,lab1's x4,Yes4Blue, 6000x4Blue,Beocom6000 Blue,Beo5.Oh what a Blue set-up & a Beosound 5...After all,its Bang&Olufsen!

• 05-05-2009 6:27 PM In reply to

• JoC
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-20-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 121
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:

Peter2:

But the whole point in B&O was that it kept an excellent trade-in value.

I guess I'm the only one that is suprised that the trade-in value of a 1-year-old MKIII BV7-40 shouldn't be only £1900 :)

Trust me, you aint the only one suprised...

...But, at this time I'm beginning to wonder if 100Hz would really be worth almost a £3k upgrade (if you consider the BluRay would be almost the other £700 of the upgrade cost). Cause, at the minute the screen is still pretty damn good when supplied with a good source, so I think I'll suffer it for a while Wink.

• 05-06-2009 2:49 AM In reply to

As always it is down to supply and demand - if people are prepared to sell for those prices, no dealer will offer more. If no one sells, then a dealer may be prepared to offer more.

Trading in my BV5 was very painful, but it was my choice at the time. Definitely try to avoid another hit like that in future, and it would be easy with a BV7 mk3 - just keep it!

P

• 05-06-2009 3:00 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Peter2:

As always it is down to supply and demand - if people are prepared to sell for those prices, no dealer will offer more. If no one sells, then a dealer may be prepared to offer more.

Other way around Peter. It's to do with demand from end users. Problem with dealers in this recession is that they don't want stock. Most new B&O products are ordered on demand. If they start accepting lots of trade-ins, they have a huge list of products they have to sell and also have to somehow get that information to the customer.

Tricky dilemma. As a dealer, you'd rather sell a brand new BV7-40, ordered from B&O, rather than sell a cheap second-hand version from stock.

The reason why I say it's the 'other way around' is that I don't think my or many other dealers care too much if we do not bother trading in our old TVs, whatever price we choose to sell.

Page 1 of 2 (43 items) 1 2 Next >