in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-07-2009 6:50 AM by Flappo The Grate. 42 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (43 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-06-2009 3:22 AM In reply to

Re: Updates

moxxey:

Tricky dilemma. As a dealer, you'd rather sell a brand new BV7-40, ordered from B&O, rather than sell a cheap second-hand version from stock.

The reason why I say it's the 'other way around' is that I don't think my or many other dealers care too much if we do not bother trading in our old TVs, whatever price we choose to sell.

In addition, when the dealer sells the used unit on to an individual person, they need to provide some sort of guarantee for the unit even though they get none themselves, they will have to sell it on with quite some markup or the operation will be a loss, and in the meantime it is eating storage space and other sales resources. In a word, they aren't exactly looking forward to buying used piece of kit from you.

I believe it is pretty much the same as with cars - at least over here, you usually get a better discount when you pay with cash and don't burden the dealer with your old car but sell it yourself.

-mika

• 05-06-2009 4:15 AM In reply to

moxxey:

Peter2:

As always it is down to supply and demand - if people are prepared to sell for those prices, no dealer will offer more. If no one sells, then a dealer may be prepared to offer more.

Other way around Peter. It's to do with demand from end users. Problem with dealers in this recession is that they don't want stock. Most new B&O products are ordered on demand. If they start accepting lots of trade-ins, they have a huge list of products they have to sell and also have to somehow get that information to the customer.

Tricky dilemma. As a dealer, you'd rather sell a brand new BV7-40, ordered from B&O, rather than sell a cheap second-hand version from stock.

The reason why I say it's the 'other way around' is that I don't think my or many other dealers care too much if we do not bother trading in our old TVs, whatever price we choose to sell.

The last thing any dealer wants is a trade in. In my experience, this will apply to most areas of business, not just B&O.

If you think your dealers are looking forward to taking your BV7 Mk X in part ex for Mk (X+1) then think again. Their offer prices are not going to impress you!!

Regards Graham

• 05-06-2009 5:30 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

This is just the world of televisions today. The price of the today top model depends on research costs, manufacturing costs, dealer advances etc, competitors prices etc. and how much people are willing to pay. It can´t be set to what specs the next model will have.

Whenever you take the plunge and buy a TV you must be prepared that a new model will come, sooner or later (probably sooner). For 99% this is not a problem, they buy the TV and are happpy with that until it breaks down, becomes too small etc.

For the last % it hurts trying to always have the latest version.

B&O has been knowned for a good second hand value. Even if it's falling harder today, it will still be better then other brands.

Fo myself I haven't yet got a flat TV. I was a little tempted to get a BV9 or BV4 before the coming price rises, but I wait 'cause I would like to see the BV7-55 before I choose. But when I have chosen I will stick with that and be happy as I have been with my LX for 18 years now.

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 05-06-2009 5:51 AM In reply to

Exactly Daniel!

Stick to it and be happy. Because if you want the latest and the best, you will never find it! There is always something else that you can add. If you finally buy the perfect setup, someone else can come along and add diamonds all over it, time and time again.

I dont know about you guys, but during my typical day after work, or in the weekend, my TV never stay on for longer than 15mins. To watch a movie 1.5hrs but that hardly happens. So what is the need to have the latest uptodate stuff?

Personally, speakers would be a better investment for me, since you use them for music and whilst watching the tv and I love my music. Speakers also dont tend to change too often (spec wise) so your money goes further.

To cut a long story short, a better investment would have been a pair of BL5 instead of the BV7, but im not complaining

• 05-06-2009 6:12 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

timhanna:

I dont know about you guys, but during my typical day after work, or in the weekend, my TV never stay on for longer than 15mins

I think that's an exception. Most people watch more TV than that.

BTW I did buy a pair of BL5s. Out of all the B&O equipment I have, they are likely to be the first to go for reasons I've documented elsewhere. I guess we all act and think differently. If we were all the same, life would be boring!

• 05-06-2009 7:36 AM In reply to

moxxey:

timhanna:

I dont know about you guys, but during my typical day after work, or in the weekend, my TV never stay on for longer than 15mins

I think that's an exception. Most people watch more TV than that.

BTW I did buy a pair of BL5s. Out of all the B&O equipment I have, they are likely to be the first to go for reasons I've documented elsewhere. I guess we all act and think differently. If we were all the same, life would be boring!

True, I can believe that. This is all from my point of view and for this reason I wont be upgrading it... ever. I love B and O because it is classic and lasts forever. My ouverture has a tape slot in the front, and we all know that everything that has a tape on it looks old. But due to  B and O magic, it still looks cool and modern! One friend that came over said: "Wow, I cant believe that B and O still sell stereos with tapes!" I told him that ive had it for years... but the fact is that it gives the impression to people that all b and o equipment is new. BL8000 look timeless and I am just 10 years older than it!

Now, my point... if we are going to upgrade our TV and equipment all the time, half the magic is going to vanish. You can no longer say that ive had this for X years and it still looks good! I would buy a new TV before I upgraded! However saying that I did trade in my old AVANT when there was on offer for 500GBP trade in towards a new tv (when i bought my bv7-40). I might have been able to sell it for more, but it was collected by B and O, taken as is and done instantly. So it was very practical.

• 05-06-2009 8:02 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Moxxey - can I get in first and say that if you feel like off-loading your Lab 5's for £1900 please give me first dibs!Whistle

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 05-06-2009 9:24 AM In reply to

And I will put my hand up for the BV7 mk3...

P

• 05-06-2009 9:39 AM In reply to

To make everyone's life easier, especially moxxey's, Ill bring a van and collect them all at once. This way you just need to deal with me ;)

• 05-06-2009 9:41 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

timhanna:

To make everyone's life easier, especially moxxey's, Ill bring a van and collect them all at once. This way you just need to deal with me ;)

How about the BL5s and BV7-40 for £3800?

My address is forthcoming...

• 05-06-2009 9:45 AM In reply to

moxxey:

timhanna:

What! You're having a laugh! A used 40", 50Hz Samsung-based screen for £1900? Puffff.

hehe

• 05-06-2009 10:49 AM In reply to

moxxey:

timhanna:

I'll take them off you for that now Chris. Cash waiting.

• 05-06-2009 1:01 PM In reply to

Was told today,that the new bv 7-40Mk4 could be £600 more then the old one,who knows???? Which sounds not too bad but again could there be a Px on the new one,depending on what the set has over the old?...........Then theres the coming 10% price hike in june which is across the board maybe,even on your spares been told..Hmmm.

I can see a time where I could not afford B&O..Be very sad indeed!

Maybe I won't be getting the Bv7-55.

Bv7-55 & Bv7-32...Blue,lab1's x4,Yes4Blue, 6000x4Blue,Beocom6000 Blue,Beo5.Oh what a Blue set-up & a Beosound 5...After all,its Bang&Olufsen!

• 05-06-2009 2:53 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Bv7Mk3:

Was told today,that the new bv 7-40Mk4 could be £600 more then the old one,who knows????

No, that includes the 10% price increase (£600) which comes in to effect on the 8th of May.

My dealer didn't get back to me today, as promised. I really do not feel like a valuable customer!

• 05-06-2009 10:15 PM In reply to

moxxey:
    My dealer didn't get back to me today, as promised. I really do not feel like a valuable customer!

Mine did, and I do feel valued ....

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 05-07-2009 12:37 AM In reply to

.... because this afternoon I placed an order for a BV7-40D ...

(100Hz, Blu-ray, BD Live)

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 05-07-2009 5:15 AM In reply to

elephant:

.... because this afternoon I placed an order for a BV7-40D ...

(100Hz, Blu-ray, BD Live)

What a coincidence you feel valued!

Hope you enjoy the TV. I am sure you will. Sometimes things just don't make sense in life; B&O increasing their prices for mediocre products in the middle of a recession is one of them!! LOL.

• 05-07-2009 6:50 AM In reply to

yes , that is a bit crazy

tbh i don't see the big thing about 100hz w/ an lcd

i've got a couple of bravias in the house and the 100hz makes me feel queasy , i like all that rubbish turned off , the motion is weird , like in the avant's film mode - it's not natural at all

popgear is grate™

Page 2 of 2 (43 items) < Previous 1 2