in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-27-2010 5:50 PM by Michael. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-16-2009 5:29 PM

Beocenter 2 vs DVD 2 vs Playstation 3

I wanted to share my experience with the picture and sound quality of three different disc players that are connected to my Beovision 4 50" / Beosystem 3 setup. The disc players are a Beocenter 2 (Mark I), a DVD 2 and a Playstation 3. The connected speakers are two Beolab 5 (front), one Beolab 7.1 (center) and two Beolab 3 (back). The audio informations obout input and output were obtained from the Beosystem 3 menu. Attached is my schedular report based on tests with the "Heat" movie DVD:

Beocenter 2 (connected to AV2):

Input: Mono/Stereo

Output: Stereo  (Dolby Pro Logic IIx Movie)

Picture Quality: ++

Sound quality: +++ (not for movies, but when connected digitally to Beolab 5)

DVD2 (connected to AV3):

Input: Dolby Digital 5.1

Output: Dolby Digital 5.1

Picture Quality: +

Sound quality: + (nice for movie sound but embarrassing for stereo CD's)

Playstation 3 (connected to AV1):

Input: Multichannel PCM

Ouput: Multichannel PCM

Picture Quality: +++

Sound quality: +++ (for movie and especially with SACD's)

The Beocenter 2 has a good resolution with vital colors. The operating concept with "GO/Function" or "2X/GO" is annoying compared to other B&O devices. The Beocenter also has an issue with a high sensitivity to DVD's and sometimes doesn't reocognize them. The sound output doesnt seem to be digital because it's already connected digitally to the Beolab 5 for audio CD's. I'm wondering if there is a solution for the sound issue with the Beocenter 2. However the Beocenter 2 is a very good stereo audio player if connected digitally to a pair of Beolab 5.

The DVD 2 has the worst picture resolution. It is a real disappointment for me. Operation with the Beo4 is simple but slow and sluggish. However due to the HDMI connection the DVD2 utilizes the digital sound capabilities of the Beosystem 3. 

The Playstation 3 is the most versatile disc player I know and had far the best picture quality among all three playaers. It utilizes digital sound capabilities and also plays SACD's and BluRay DVD's. The SACD sound is very good. Control of the Playstation 3 with the Beo4 through Beosystem 3 is adapted very good. If there just would't be the annoying fan noise of the Playstation 3.

In summary I have to admit that I underestimated the Playstation 3, against what the (discontinued) DVD 2 was a big fail of B&O to integrate a multifunctional DVD player into their products.

Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

• 04-16-2009 6:46 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Re: Beocenter 2 vs DVD 2 vs Playstation 3

What model Playstation 3 is it? If I'm right only the early models had SACD (and indeed PS2 game) compatibility. Newer models dropped backward compatibility (afore mentioned PS2 and SACD) for cost reasons. 

Again, if I'm right, the PS3 has good DVD, Blueray and HD Audio capabilities because of (very) regular updates and the innate multimedia hardware of the PS3.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 04-16-2009 8:51 PM In reply to

I bought the very first PS 3 model when they were introduced into the market. Luckily I have SACD compatibility. You're right: the PS 3 is the best maintained player on the market with frequent software updates. Did you notice the noisy fan of your PS3 ?

• 04-17-2009 3:22 AM In reply to

I am a bit curious about what does Beosystem 3 do for sound and vision in this case ? Does it improve anything?

• 04-17-2009 9:30 AM In reply to

I very much agree with the original poster's annoyance with the "go" button key combinations on the BC2. It's so redundant and seems contrary to B&O's one-touch approach to AV systems control. Also, I have never been satisfied with the picture quality of the BC2. Even ripping a dvd via Handbrake to the Apple TV provides a far better picture than the BC2. I'm curious if anyone has compared the difference in picture quality of the BC2 connected to a BS1 as compared to a BC2 connected to a BS3.

• 04-17-2009 10:26 AM In reply to

The gogo was stupid. In fact when I was demoed the BC2 I had it done be a new sales person and we both could not figure out how one was supposed to operate that thing. Took us a minute or 2, I thought it was broken.

Now with the later ones, that was fixed. I am not sure if that was done with a software update or not. We always refer to MK1 and MK2 with MK2 having the piezo speaker. I do not have that speaker but I have zero problems with play back problems and it's a single "Go" now to start playback.

For that reason I would actually buy new over used.

Cheers

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 04-17-2009 1:32 PM In reply to

I can answer your question about Beosystem 1 and 3 because I switched from BS1 to BS3. The difference was amazing, not only because of the better resolution. The BS1 had an image processor that changed the depth of field by artificially by sharpening the whole picture. The result were sharper images but movies had a look like cheap  video productions. This shows the potential of image processing in the Beosystem 1/3. BS3 also has more AV ports, four of them with HDMI connection and allows the integration of Apple TV and Playstation 3. However, the BS3 still has some flaws that were reported in this forum.

• 04-17-2009 1:33 PM In reply to

Beojeff,

I can answer your question about Beosystem 1 and 3 because I switched from BS1 to BS3. The difference was amazing, not only because of the better resolution. The BS1 had an image processor that changed the depth of field by artificially by sharpening the whole picture. The result were sharper images but movies had a look like cheap  video productions. This shows the potential of image processing in the Beosystem 1/3. BS3 also has more AV ports, four of them with HDMI connection and allows the integration of Apple TV and Playstation 3. However, the BS3 still has some flaws that were reported in this forum.

• 04-17-2009 5:30 PM In reply to

erg4000,

Very nice setup, I think I recall seeing pictures awhile back, did you have a projector, too?

I have a BV 4-50" connected to a beosystem 1 and really like the picture quality, but have not tried the beosystem 3.  What plasma/panel version do you have D8, D9?

I  purchased my BV 4 in 2006 and it's a D8 version and was told the beosystem 3 would "not" operate to it full HD potential or something like that.

Thanks

Roger 

• 04-18-2009 3:08 AM In reply to

Hi Roger,

I've additionally connected a NEC HT 1100 Beamer to the Beosystem 3.  As far as I know, the plasma is based on D7. It received a software and hardware upgrade when the Beosystem 3 was delivered.

• 12-27-2010 3:55 PM In reply to

The quality  DVD of the beocenter 2 with beosystem 3 is worst than connect with Beosystem 2 ? Why

• 12-27-2010 5:50 PM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

What if you had PS3 functionality in the BC2 packaging ;-)  Would be a winner [;-)]

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)