in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-14-2009 1:29 PM by koning. 82 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (83 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-10-2009 6:52 AM

Price drop for Bang&Olufsen BeoVisions

What do you think, will Bang&Olufsen lower the prices for the BeoVisions in the future? I think BeoVision 7 32" and 40'' are both owerpriced.

• 02-10-2009 6:54 AM In reply to

Re: Price drop for Bang&Olufsen BeoVisions

I don't think so.Angry

• 02-10-2009 7:31 AM In reply to

If not, I only hope they have enough of very rich customners.

• 02-10-2009 8:32 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Avus

Right now, this minute you should run, not walk, to you favorite B&O shop and ask about the price of a BV-40 MK3 w/o DVD player.  They should quote you a price which is shockingly low.  But only while current stock of the 60hz panels and current BeoSystem 3 audio processors last.

Run, go now, this price will not last long enough for anyone to complain about the 60hz panel!

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 02-10-2009 8:39 AM In reply to

Russ:

They should quote you a price which is shockingly low.  

Hmmm, relative to... Big Smile

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 02-10-2009 2:56 PM In reply to

Dear AVus:

Is the sound processor going to be changed on BS 3? 

Please elaborate.

Dario

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 02-10-2009 5:23 PM In reply to

• Clakke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

avus17:

What do you think, will Bang&Olufsen lower the prices for the BeoVisions in the future? I think BeoVision 7 32" and 40'' are both owerpriced.

Hi there

I suppose it is not so easy for them to lower the prices. B&O seem to be stuck with prices for flat screens that were valid several years ago. I understand that B&O has a second hand market, unlike other manufacturers. Maybe they wish to maintain that? There is also a very good sound in B&O TV not to forget.

The market is obviously also different now with flat screens. Not much room for design on a TV that is thin and hanging on a wall, maybe even without a speaker, certainly not good for a company like B&O. The flat screen technology also seems to run a bit fast for B&O. We owned once upon a time a CRT TV from B&O. At that time, the late 70th, Beovisions had a very solid reputation. Not just for their design, but also for their very fine picture quality. We owned this TV for a long time and the picture was actually quite good compared to newer TVs many years after. Though, I do not remember that Beovisions at that time was as expensive compared to other brands. Ok, the design is still good but the picture quality does not seem to be there any longer, not if you read tests and not when I compare with my own amateur eyes. They seem to be very good but not best in class, which is certainly not good if they want to charge much more than other brands. Have in mind also that tests are much more available today with internet and my experience is that people check out much more today.

Another thing that stroke us when we selected our TV was that B&O could not really could cope with the digital era concerning media player HDMI e t c. Today, there are several brands with media players inbuilt, either with ethernet or even WLAN. The TVs from B&O do not seem to jump this train.

Also if you want a well designed TV with decent picture/sound with modern equipment/connections but not use it as a home cinema setup, B&O does not have much to offer.

But as always, the choice is yours. If you must have a B&O for some reasons and want to spend very much, you buy B&O anyway.

Have a nice evening

Clakke

• 02-10-2009 5:30 PM In reply to

I'm not sure Beo gives a damn about second hand markets, there's no money in it for them.

Kinda hard to convey your stock-holders to push in money "because we need to think of the second hand market". Smile

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 02-10-2009 5:43 PM In reply to

• Clakke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

bayerische:

I'm not sure Beo gives a damn about second hand markets, there's no money in it for them.

Kinda hard to convey your stock-holders to push in money "because we need to think of the second hand market". Smile

Well, it is at least not bad to have a good second hand market. If you do not loose too much money if you want to sell, maybe you could pay more from start. I think I would feel comfortable to say that B&O (and others) can benfit from a good second market, or what do you say Lee?Smile

B R

Clakke

• 02-10-2009 5:50 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

B&O certainly does care about second hand markets - part of B&O's image/strength is upheld by their products/televisions lasting as long as any good electronics should. If people see their £6k TVs going for next to nothing on ebay etc... several years later, then B&O have something to worry about.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 02-10-2009 6:30 PM In reply to

OK, so you guys think Beo should keep up making overpriced TV's, just because the current second hand market?

Sure the ones who bought a BV7 yesterday would loose a lot of money in say three years if they where to trade it in for a new model, and a matching TV to the BV7 would have gone to 4000 euro new.

But new customers would be brought in, and a new price "reference" would be set. Introduce new TV sets at a more *true to reality* price, and discontinue the old ones.

If indeed Beo cares about their  customers, they should start with the dealers. I'm talking about Finland now, but a more self-centered, lazy-obnoxious-snobby-I don't give a damn attitude is hard to find. I'm surprised that there's even such a brand as Beo.

I'm sure the service is OK, if you spend a fortune, but a BS9000 and a BS3 for example and a few other stuff cables etc. don't get you far here...

-Andreas

• 02-10-2009 6:40 PM In reply to

Just as an example, Apple.

Apple has always had a very faithful customer base. Even during hard times, as the 90-ties, where we have to admit, Windows was ahead. Mac OS was running behind.

Apple took action, they brought Steve Jobs back, and there was a lot of changes made. Some Apple fanatics where furious about the cooperation with Microsoft, who was like the devil to them, but Microsoft was one of the key stones to bringing Apple back.

Apple was transformed, and I'm sure even if it would have continued on the same track, the Apple fanatics, the likes of us B&O fanatics, would have continued to buy and use Apple products.

However, this "small" group was not enough, and Apple would have gone bankrupt, or bought and transformed into something completely different than it is today, if it was not for this change.

B&O needs more customers, and obviously Struer is not getting more customers, especially in these challenging times with the current method. They need change.

Beo has changed their strategy and pricing before, why not again? 

-Andreas

• 02-11-2009 1:38 AM In reply to

• Mikkis
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-06-2009
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

I have the same experience about the finnish dealer but while reading this forum I have come to conclusion that it is pretty much a local problem. There seems to be more service oriented dealers in other countries. At least I hope so.

• 02-11-2009 2:23 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

avus17:

I think BeoVision 7 32" and 40'' are both owerpriced.

And still, you buy it!

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 02-11-2009 4:08 AM In reply to

• Clakke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

bayerische:

OK, so you guys think Beo should keep up making overpriced TV's, just because the current second hand market?

Hi bayerische

Absolutely not. I hope I did not make you think that this was my opinion. It was just one of my speculations about why the prices are so high. In my introduction thread, I explained a bit why I did not buy a B&O TV. The price is the most important issue. When we saw the price tags, the TVs were more or less viped out of our minds. Not for us to consider, not even if they had the very best picture and equipped with the latest technology.

B R

Clakke

• 02-11-2009 4:22 AM In reply to

Clakke:

bayerische:

Hi bayerische

Absolutely not. I hope I did not make you think that this was my opinion. It was just one of my speculations about why the prices are so high. In my introduction thread, I explained a bit why I did not buy a B&O TV. The price is the most important issue. When we saw the price tags, the TVs were more or less viped out of our minds. Not for us to consider, not even if they had the very best picture and equipped with the latest technology.

B R

Clakke

Let's hope Beo is also of the same opinion as you Clakke. Smile

Anyway, about the pricing, I know I'm one of the naggers about TV prices. And choice is a beautiful thing.

You know when I bought my plasma, in 2004 the pricing was such (in Finland as I remember), that a Sony 42" was priced at about 4-5000 euro. The beo flagship, Beovision 5 was priced at about 16.000 euros. Here we have a factor of three. The factor today? 6-8 times.

So sadly I'm not sure we will see any price drop. Not a meaningful one anyway. The new CEO has showed us nothing yet, or am I wrong?

-Andreas

• 02-11-2009 5:36 AM In reply to

• Clakke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

bayerische:

Anyway, about the pricing, I know I'm one of the naggers about TV prices. And choice is a beautiful thing.

You know when I bought my plasma, in 2004 the pricing was such (in Finland as I remember), that a Sony 42" was priced at about 4-5000 euro. The beo flagship, Beovision 5 was priced at about 16.000 euros. Here we have a factor of three. The factor today? 6-8 times.

So sadly I'm not sure we will see any price drop. Not a meaningful one anyway. The new CEO has showed us nothing yet, or am I wrong?

Well I would say that the new CEO has at least said something in these directions. Nothing is of course visible yet in the stores about this. I think it will take some time before we see the new CEO intention in this matter.

Sorry I can not comment about if the B&O prices are twice the price of a Sony or 6-8 times the price. I have not followed this in past times and do not have the knowledge, but I have seen the debates at this forum. I can just say that the prices were much too much for us to consider in our comparison with e.g. B&O 8-32 vs Loewe Connect. It was not just the price, beacuse with B&O we would have had the trouble (and cost) to buy and install some DVB, media center e t c. That does not improve the comparison in B&O favour.

I am not sure that we will buy a B&O TV for very long time, because soon we will buy a TV for our main room. After that, I think we are ready for a while with TV´s. It is not likely that B&O will have something to offer for us when it is time. It is a bit sad actually.

But the stereo comes from B&O, and that is not sad Smile.

B R

Clakke

• 02-11-2009 7:01 AM In reply to

I don't think it is likely B&O will drop the prices of their existing TVs by any significant amount. That's not because of the second hand market but because of the harm it will do to their reputation with existing customers. And existing customers are very important for a nich manufacturer.

What they may do, however, is to introduce lower priced new models. Such as the BV8, which is closer to mainstream AV products in price (and quality).

But I think the real issue here is that the TV industry is in such a period of change. A company such as B&O will never be able to keep pace with that change. They can only hope to offer a high quality product that is flexible enough to accommodate some of the changes that will take place. Depending on what your expectations of a TV are, you will either decide that the current B&O TVs do that or they don't.

Members of this forum tend to be very technology aware and want to use all the latest innovations. But I think many people that buy B&O equipment pay for non-technological features such as the pleasure given by the finish and design.

I must be one of that latter group as I recently bought a BC6. I wanted an attractive TV on a stand which would integrate with my AV equipment AND had a good speaker set for when I just wanted to watch the TV news.

Sony equivalents (complete with stand) range from £650 to £800 depending on feature set and design. The stands are pretty unattractive and non-motorised and the sound quality from the set speakers is pretty poor. The remote control feels like a cheap calculator.The BC6 cost £3300 and has a beautiful motorised stand that gives a great deal of pleasure to use (little things). Sound is very good. And cabinet finish world's apart.

The BC6 cost a lot more but many years ago I bought a Philips TV because the B&O equivalent at the time was nearly four times the price. I benefited from the saving for a few months, regretted the decision for a few years.

I think what I'm trying to say is that perhaps B&O will not be able to survive as a premium brand with its current pricing - but I'm not sure it can survive as a mid brand with lower pricing either. Its new management certainly has a very diffcult path to tread. But take the (costly) premium finish and design away and what do you have left - just a TV.

• 02-11-2009 8:12 AM In reply to

bayerische:

Clakke:

bayerische:

Hi bayerische

B R

Clakke

I do not agree that the factor today is 6-8 times. Certainly there are some TVs that would result in that factor, but there are also others that do not. For instance, the BV4 50 inch is $7500, Bang & Olufsen BeoVision 4 Black 50" Plasma HDTV - 1895298, at the same store, a 50 inch Pioneer is $4499,   Pioneer KURO Elite Signature Series 50" Black Plasma HDTV - PRO101FD      resulting in a factor of about 1.5

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 02-11-2009 8:16 AM In reply to

The pioneer is inclusive Tuner.Smile

The B&O is exclusive Tuner.Sad

• 02-11-2009 8:59 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

Sorry, misread the post.

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 02-11-2009 9:09 AM In reply to

System3    50 - 100Euro!!

Don't think soStick out tongue

• 02-11-2009 9:31 AM In reply to

Razlaw:

bayerische:

Clakke:

bayerische:

Hi bayerische

B R

Clakke

I do not agree that the factor today is 6-8 times. Certainly there are some TVs that would result in that factor, but there are also others that do not. For instance, the BV4 50 inch is $7500, Bang & Olufsen BeoVision 4 Black 50" Plasma HDTV - 1895298, at the same store, a 50 inch Pioneer is $4499,   Pioneer KURO Elite Signature Series 50" Black Plasma HDTV - PRO101FD      resulting in a factor of about 1.5

Razlaw,

Well those kinds of prices are not possible in Europe. In Finland the BV4 is 8.750 euro, or 11.300 USD. Pioneer is a far better and newer screen. Who wants a cheap tuner with the BV4? You need the Beosystem 3 with the BV4, adding another 7.056 euros or 9.130 USD. Total: over 20.000 dollars! So my estimate of 6-8 times is fairly accurate... Or?

-Andreas

• 02-11-2009 9:38 AM In reply to

Correct.

• 02-11-2009 11:47 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

bayerische:

Well those kinds of prices are not possible in Europe. In Finland the BV4 is 8.750 euro, or 11.300 USD. Pioneer is a far better and newer screen. Who wants a cheap tuner with the BV4? You need the Beosystem 3 with the BV4, adding another 7.056 euros or 9.130 USD. Total: over 20.000 dollars! So my estimate of 6-8 times is fairly accurate... Or?

Absolutely correct. Who made the point that the basic BV4-50 is 'affordable'? In the UK, you need to factor in the BV4-50 and BS3 and this is around £11000. The same Kuro 50" mentioned above can be bought for around £2000. Certainly not 1.5x more expensive.

Page 1 of 4 (83 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >