in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-09-2009 4:44 PM by Xseries. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-04-2009 8:51 PM

Question re: Beomaster 5000 and 5500

Hello -

I have a Beomaster 5000, through which I play a Beogram 1800 turntable (with RCA plugs), and a Beomaster 5500, through which I play a Beogram 4002 turntable (with a 5-pin DIN plug).  Due to the method of connection, neither of the Beomasters automatically switches to the stand-by mode when they've been dormant for a while after playing a record.  (By contrast, the Beomaster 5500 - which is also connected to a Beogram CD 5500 - goes into stand-by mode about 30 minutes after I finish playing a CD.)

My question - no doubt rudimentary to those of a technical bent - is, Does it matter if I leave the Beomasters in Phono mode all the time, or should I manually switch them to stand-by when I'm done playing LP's, and won't be using them again for a while?  I don't know if, by leaving them in Phono mode continuously, I'm putting more "stress" on the system than if the receivers were  put in stand-by mode when not in use.

Thanks for any advice.

John

• 02-05-2009 1:53 AM In reply to

Re: Question re: Beomaster 5000 and 5500

You will be using more power certainly so I would switch to stand by if only for that reason. I doubt it will have much effect on longevity unless the Beomasters are drifting out of spec. If either runs particularly hot, it would be worth getting it serviced.

• 02-09-2009 4:44 PM In reply to

• Xseries
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hampshire
    • Posts 433
    • Bronze Member

Re: Question re: Beomaster 5000 and 5500

Go for standby - or even switch off (power off) at the mains (see the thread about Power Off v Standby!) if they are not going to be used for a while.

I think I am right in saying that these amplifiers need the two extra pins (6/7) to give the feedback after 30 minutes of inactivity to then switch the whole system off.  That is why they do not power down when on the radio....   

Brian

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)