in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-29-2012 10:58 AM by zabsonWRP. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-25-2009 7:00 PM

speaker2 out to headphones?

hi all,

in the midst of cleaning up my beo, i have split up my bm1000's. one in teak w/ matching teak 2200's is off to a brother-in-law, though he doesn't know it yet! the other in rosewood w/ its matching rw 2200's has found its way to my nightstand replacing my bc9300 that i used only w/ headphones. to the question: the bm1000 does not have a headphone out; anyone ever rigged anything to run headphones from the speaker2 outs? any other options?

thanks in advance!

++++edit++++

sometimes i can be a real dolt...

i not only have one, but two niles audio switch plates that will do this! bought them long ago and forgot i had them.

if anyone is interested... you basically wire the speaker1 outs into the switch. then there are 2 outs that are switch controlled. one is a 2pair back to your speakers, the other is a TRS female for headphones. not exactly my intent when i wrote the post... but i might as well use them! i could run speaker2 to the other side of the bed -and viola -dual headphones!

of course, i'd love to hear about other options... w/o all the work needed for the niles option. a simple lead would be nice!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-26-2009 8:41 AM In reply to

Re: speaker2 out to headphones?

The headphone outputs in most amps will just have two resistors in series with the headphones, connected to the same signal as speakers. I believe the simplest option will contain two male 2-pin DIN's, two 220 ohm resistors and a 3.5 mm stereo jack. With the power  levels you'd want to have in your earphones, 1/2W resistors should be more than enough.

This way you can still have independently controlled speakers in no.1 and headphones in no.2 outputs :)

-mika

• 01-26-2009 8:56 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

In situations such as this, I usually attack them with a plethora of RCA adapters and 1/8" conversions from radioshack. Usually works out pretty well.

Evan

• 01-26-2009 9:07 AM In reply to

mika,

thanks! now that is what i was talking about! the niles plates are great, but i just would hate to cut the leads to the 2200's as they have been factory fitted and intact for 40+ years. i suppose i could wire in 2pin din plates as well but that again would be a bit more work than i am looking for... i want something simple like building a lead like you suggest +i could then use it elsewhere too...

might you be able to sketch a quick schematic? i would greatly appreciate it! i'll get my soldering iron warmed up, i think i have everything i need!

thanks again,

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-26-2009 9:29 AM In reply to

Why, no problem - my favourite CAD program is a snap to fire up! Smile (although attaching images to posts currently isn't...)

Headphone adapter

I took a look in the BM2200 (the old) service manual and it says 1/8W resistors, so 1/4W (or whatever you can find in your junk box) will certainly be enough for BM1000.

This time it also matters which way you connect the DINs (pin and spade), as you don't want to short the hot outputs from the amp together (which probably won't break anything, but would give you mono sound). The left channel should end up in the tip of the headphone connector and the rest should be a breeze!

-mika

• 01-26-2009 10:00 AM In reply to

mika,

perfect! -like they say:  a picture is worth a thousand words.

i will dig through my junk pile this evening and see what i can come up with!

thanks so much,

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-26-2009 10:08 AM In reply to

No problem. If you can't find two 220 ohm resistors, I believe anything between 150-470 would work depending on the impedance of your headphones - just take it easy with the volume when first trying it out. And double check not to shortcircuit the speaker outputs before the resistors!

-mika

• 01-31-2009 6:41 PM In reply to

well...

it took time to find the time to do the project, but all done and works great!

longest part was correcting the black box to fit all the goods, and of course, resharpening my soldering skills -it has been a while -man, my eyes have gotten bad!

i wanted it to be subtle and out of the way and not compromise the beomaster in any way. it simply plugs right in.

off the beomaster...

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-31-2009 6:42 PM In reply to

and on the beomaster...

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-31-2009 6:43 PM In reply to

a million thanks to mika...

i am delighted -it was exactly what i wanted... and a fun little project!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-31-2009 6:56 PM In reply to

What a fantastic implementation! I would've never had the patience to build it so accurately that fixed plugs would hit their sockets! Laughing

-mika

• 02-02-2009 1:26 PM In reply to

...well i guess all of those "wasted" hours spent with model kits as a youngster finally paid off!

thx again for your help!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 02-29-2012 10:58 AM In reply to

Hi,

I'm new owner of Beomaster 1000 and I want to do the same thing as you did, but with one upgrade.

I want to add “switch” that change/redirect signal between speakers and headphones, so I could change output of signal, without unplugging your “speaker2...” box.

I’m still waiting for my Deomaster, Could you share with me some details about size’s of this dox that you used?

I've wanted to do it before it will be delivered to me.

Best Regards

Rafal Rudnik

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)