in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-09-2009 12:10 PM by eljefe. 58 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (59 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-25-2009 6:03 AM

XML generator tool

Keith

What is the status on the new XML generator. If it is not ready yet could provide me the DTD of the new XML file structure instead, or any other documentation you might have on the XML file structure? I have a BEO5 with the latest firmware and the latest configtool.

Regards

Willem

Filed under:
  • 01-26-2009 8:55 AM In reply to

Re: XML generator tool

Is there any other software available ? Or is it possible to do it "by hand" ? I mean is it possible to manually somehow edit the xml files to work with the new software?

• 01-26-2009 10:24 AM In reply to

Hello Keith,

where  could i download the xml generator?

Regards Baolu

• 01-26-2009 1:55 PM In reply to

Baolu:

Hello Keith,

where  could i download the xml generator?

Regards Baolu

Hi Baolu,

the XML generator 1.0 can be downloaded from the download section of the beoworld main site (where all the service manuals are as well). This area is accessible to silver and gold members.

Cheers,
    Frank

• 01-26-2009 2:09 PM In reply to

eljefe:

Is there any other software available ? Or is it possible to do it "by hand" ? I mean is it possible to manually somehow edit the xml files to work with the new software?

I believe it is possible. When I look at the different files in the download section of the beo5 site, then on the file I have created (and that Keith has graciously converted to 2.2 version) the only thing that's different is the frequency of the IR is now 38000 instead of 38. I also did some manual changes to enable the hard keys for my config. If you load some of the downloads from the beo5 site as examples you can see what's required.

Cheers,
    Frank

• 01-26-2009 4:16 PM In reply to

Hmmm.. Doesn't quite seem to work.. Must be more than simply changing the carrier to 38000

• 01-27-2009 1:38 PM In reply to

• Patcoq
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-26-2009
    • Posts 2
    • Silver Member

Hi Keith,

Can you confirm where the XML generator 1.0 can be downloaded because I can't find it on the beoworld main site.

Regards,

Patrick

• 01-27-2009 2:06 PM In reply to

Patcoq:

Hi Keith,

Can you confirm where the XML generator 1.0 can be downloaded because I can't find it on the beoworld main site.

Regards,

Patrick

Hi,

Can be found here: (with the Service Manuals for the Beo5).

Cheers,
    Frank

• 01-27-2009 2:27 PM In reply to

• Patcoq
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-26-2009
    • Posts 2
    • Silver Member

Hi Frank,

many thanks,

Rgs,

Patrick

• 01-29-2009 5:46 AM In reply to

How does the B&o dealers add NON-b&o products to the remote? Is there another piece of B&O software for this?

• 01-31-2009 9:52 AM In reply to

The B&O dealers just have the Beo5 Configuration Tool provided by B&O.

Many of them also visit the Beo5 Information & Resource pages HERE provided by Beoworld

Regards Keith....

• 02-03-2009 2:31 AM In reply to

• Burnix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-10-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 62
    • Bronze Member

To my knowledge the dealers have to have B&O make the files for 3rd party products.

B&O has a tool for this, but the dealers do not get this tool for various reasons. One reason is that the B&O politic is to control most non-B&O products through the PUC to ensure the products are in sync. Stand-alone things like curtains, light and air-conditioning are the the aim for direct control by Beo5. Another reason is that B&O wants to guarantee the right user experience and therefore wants to make the XML for the dealers so that the operation of non-B&O products is made in the most correct B&O way.. :-)

• 02-03-2009 3:04 AM In reply to

Burnix:

To my knowledge the dealers have to have B&O make the files for 3rd party products.

B&O has a tool for this, but the dealers do not get this tool for various reasons. One reason is that the B&O politic is to control most non-B&O products through the PUC to ensure the products are in sync. Stand-alone things like curtains, light and air-conditioning are the the aim for direct control by Beo5. Another reason is that B&O wants to guarantee the right user experience and therefore wants to make the XML for the dealers so that the operation of non-B&O products is made in the most correct B&O way.. :-)

You are correct that a dealer must request the addition of a 3rd party product be added to the PUC if it is a STB which B&O do not intend to support. The dealer and therefore the customer also has to pay a fee for this addition.

In my view there is nothing wrong with B&O's business policy related to using the PUC, what is a problem is the speed (or lack of it) of implementation of new STB's in the PUC which always takes many months and often years to be added after the general availability of a new STB.

It is excellent that B&O wishes to guarantee the right user experience which also means providing the complete solution when the customer receives their purchased Beovision and not have to wait for software updates many months (sometimes years) in the future. Can I use the Beovision 7 as an example !!

Regards Keith....

• 02-03-2009 6:15 AM In reply to

• Burnix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-10-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 62
    • Bronze Member

I actually meant that the dealer had to request the addition of a 3rd party product to the Beo5 Configuration Tool (aswell as with the addition to the PUC table) as the dealer to my knowledge do not have a tool nor the knowledge of the way B&O would like the a 3rd party product to be operated by Beo5. I too find the policy correct and I too find the speed much too slow at updating both PUC tables and products for the Beo5 Config Tool. Unfortunately these tasks are prioritized very low compared to developing new products and fixing more severe bugs.

Luckily it has been made somewhat easy to write you own XML files for the Beo5 enabling users (with access to the tool) to customize it to their own wishes. Yes -  thumbs up

• 02-04-2009 4:37 AM In reply to

Burnix:

I actually meant that the dealer had to request the addition of a 3rd party product to the Beo5 Configuration Tool (aswell as with the addition to the PUC table) as the dealer to my knowledge do not have a tool nor the knowledge of the way B&O would like the a 3rd party product to be operated by Beo5. I too find the policy correct and I too find the speed much too slow at updating both PUC tables and products for the Beo5 Config Tool. Unfortunately these tasks are prioritized very low compared to developing new products and fixing more severe bugs.

Luckily it has been made somewhat easy to write you own XML files for the Beo5 enabling users (with access to the tool) to customize it to their own wishes. Yes -  thumbs up

How do you make your own XML files? As far as I know the software Keith is making is not yet available for software 2.2.

• 02-04-2009 9:26 AM In reply to

• Burnix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-10-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 62
    • Bronze Member

XML files are pure text files and can be created using Notepad! It's not all that difficult... Cool

• 02-04-2009 5:39 PM In reply to

Burnix:

XML files are pure text files and can be created using Notepad! It's not all that difficult... Cool

Big Smile  Right! Well the trick is to know WHAT to put in the XML files. I have a bunch of Pioneer codes I would like to get on my Beo5 . Would it be possible to get a few hints on how to carry this out?

• 02-05-2009 4:21 AM In reply to

eljefe:

Big Smile  Right! Well the trick is to know WHAT to put in the XML files. I have a bunch of Pioneer codes I would like to get on my Beo5 . Would it be possible to get a few hints on how to carry this out?

Hi,

maybe have a look at my Pioneer DVD player codes in the Downloads section of the Beo5 site. You can also compare the old and new xml files. What format have you got the Pioneer codes in?

Cheers,
    Frank

• 02-05-2009 4:59 AM In reply to

beo4me:

eljefe:

Hi,

maybe have a look at my Pioneer DVD player codes in the Downloads section of the Beo5 site. You can also compare the old and new xml files. What format have you got the Pioneer codes in?

Cheers,
    Frank

I have them converted into text files via. the lintronic software. Ill have a look at the files. Please let me know if you have any other tips.

• 02-05-2009 5:05 AM In reply to

beo4me:

eljefe:

Hi,

Cheers,
    Frank

Just had a look at the 2 xml files and don't really know if I have the patience to go through them and look for differences. Not now anyways. Maybe Keith could tell us where the differences lie?

• 02-05-2009 5:09 AM In reply to

eljefe:

I have them converted into text files via. the lintronic software. Ill have a look at the files. Please let me know if you have any other tips.

You can proceed with these files and the V1.0 of the XML Generator tool. With the final XML have a look at the examples. Threre seems to be very little difference (in the case of my file the only difference I found is the Carrier, which is 38000 instead of 38), however one user reported that changing only this, did not work for him. For the usage of the hard buttons I was looking at one of the other examples to see how it works and copied the converted Pioneer codes.

Cheers,
    Frank

• 02-05-2009 5:38 AM In reply to

eljefe:

Hmmm.. Doesn't quite seem to work.. Must be more than simply changing the carrier to 38000

Simply changing the carrier (from 38 to 38000) worked for me with the 4 non-B&O equipment I use:

VHS Thomson, DVD player Panasonic S33, Divx player Philips DVP5100, TV trinitron Sony.

Santiago

• 02-05-2009 3:58 PM In reply to

The main differences between the latest firmware version 1.40a and the previous version is the format of the carrier frequency from "Carrier=XX" where the carrier frequency "XX" is in thousands between 30 Khz and 56Khz and the latest version which is in the format of "Carrier=XXXXX" where the frequency is in Hertz.

The above is true for most, but not all protocols. It is true for NEC protocols, but for example it is not true for Sony protocols which requires the transmitted infra-red command codes to be transmitted at least twice and is normally transmitted five times with a defined space between transmisions.

Regards Keith....

• 02-07-2009 6:33 PM In reply to

Keith Saunders:

The main differences between the latest firmware version 1.40a and the previous version is the format of the carrier frequency from "Carrier=XX" where the carrier frequency "XX" is in thousands between 30 Khz and 56Khz and the latest version which is in the format of "Carrier=XXXXX" where the frequency is in Hertz.

The above is true for most, but not all protocols. It is true for NEC protocols, but for example it is not true for Sony protocols which requires the transmitted infra-red command codes to be transmitted at least twice and is normally transmitted five times with a defined space between transmisions.

I got it working with a Logitech Squeezebox by changing the carrier to 38000 but i can't get it working with the Pioneer codes. Could anyone have a look at the file i made and maybe try it out to check if you can get it to work?

• 02-08-2009 3:54 AM In reply to

Upload your Pioneer XML file and the command text files if you have created with the XML file with the 3rd Party XML Generator using the text files created by the Lintronic software. Add all the files to a ZIP file and upload them HERE

If you are just uploading the XML file it does not need to be in a zip file.

Regards Keith....

Page 1 of 3 (59 items) 1 2 3 Next >