in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-18-2007 3:27 PM by Rosewood. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-23-2007 1:25 PM

Tangential tracking turntable

Which is the best tangential tracking turntable of the B&O turntable series? I ask this, because I have read different opinions of the quality of the used materials and electronics of the tables.

Greetings,

Ruud

• 05-23-2007 1:56 PM In reply to

Re: Tangential tracking turntable

My personal favourite is the 4000/4002/4004/6000 series as the build quality is something else (try picking one of the AC models up!). There's also a lot to be said for the 8002 series, though I do not have one of these. 

I have a 5005, and the build quality is not the same as my 4002, but it's still a sweet sounding (if a little bass light) deck, that has the advantage of being able to be connected via datalink to an appropriate Beomaster. 

I suppose it depends on what you want to connect one to, as there will be RIAA issues depending on whether the amp/turntable you want to pair has/hasn't a RIAA pre-amp built in. It gets confusing here, so I'll let others step in.....

John

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 05-23-2007 2:07 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

John is absolutely right here. It is a huge question which cannot really be answered without more information as to what you intend connecting to.

By far the best built ones are the 4000/40002/4004 series but due to aging components they are likely to need a bit of TLC to keep in top working condition. If you aren't capable of this type of work then it can work out quite costly - assuming you can find someone willing to do the work. The same applies to the 8002 series but the good news is the usual failed tacho disc as fitted to the 8000 is now available from beowoworld member Dillen (Martin) so makes them affordable as they are usually sold with this fault.

The more modern tangential decks - 5005 onwards are much more lightweight and use more plastics but are my personal favourites as they are much easier to work with and I like the sound from the later MMC cartridges fitted (most will disagree with me here though!). There is no difference in comparison amongst these later decks - other than cosmetics & the RIAA issue as they all use the same basic chassis.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 05-23-2007 6:09 PM In reply to

Chris and John: thank you for your advice!

Greetings,

Ruud 

• 05-24-2007 1:57 AM In reply to

Beogram 4000 - built without compromise and massively over engineered.

Surprisingly the best figures will be the 7000 et al except for wow and flutter which the 8000/8002 excels at. 

Have had almost all of them and the one I use is the 4000 and a 4004.

The best sounding would probably be the Beogram 3000 Type 5210, which was a Thorens TD124 in reality! Wonderful bass! 

• 06-08-2007 2:23 PM In reply to

Got to agree with this...IMHO I have the Beogram 4000 and am hugely impressed with its build and sound ( in particular with the "old record on the platter" mod), and I also agree with the Thorens TD124 (Beogram 3000) comment, all this beauty needs is a decent plinth, the arm lets it all down here.. As far as figures are concerned, ignore, ignore and just ignore....this is music not math. My old Garrard 401 rumbles a bit but outstrips anything I have heard for pure listenability and joy.
  • 06-19-2007 8:12 PM In reply to

Peter, I noticed that you and others have praised the Beogram 4000 for its engineering.  I have diligently scoured ebay, and although I have seen many BG 4004's, I have never seen a 4000. What's up with this, is the 4000 a particularly rare item, or is it so wonderful that no one will part with their precious record player ?  John Y

• 06-20-2007 1:45 AM In reply to

They do come up. However they were in p-roduction for less time than the 4002 and so there are fewer. They are also complex and some will have been deemed beyond economic repair. The really rare one is the 6000 whuch only comes up infrequently.
  • 06-23-2007 2:57 PM In reply to

I've now had a number of fine days with a Beogram 4000. Very pleased - open soundstage, detailed sound. The deck is supposed to be slightly bass shy, but since I'm bass shy too that hasn't been noticeable.
    Good punchy bass on Donald Fagen's opening track Morph the Cat from the record of the same name.
    I was able to borrow a Soundsmith SMMC20CL cartridge. Hmmm - seems I'll be sending some money to Soundsmith in the near future.

Also have a Beogram 6500, with an MMC2 cartridge (which seems to be holding up nicely). How to compare? The soundstage feels smaller through that one, all other things remaining the same, leading me to suspect that all the kudos to the 4000 are justified.

(BTW - the indicator light on the track position "ruler" remains ON when the 4000 is not being used. Is this normal?)

• 06-23-2007 4:21 PM In reply to

No! But a 4000 without an odd foible is a rare beast! Mine will drop onto the platter with no record there! (By the way, have you noticed that the cut outs in the radial supports are positioned so if this happens, the stylus is not destroyed! Misses by a few millimetres! Needs nerves of steel to test this mind you!)

Thinking of buying a Soundsmith SMMC20CL+ myself - and would do immediately if it were silver! I have been in contact with them and have offered to get some bodies electroplated - after initial contact, all has gone cold! Would be interested in your thoughts of the SMMC20CL. How about a review! 

• 06-23-2007 5:05 PM In reply to

Peter:

Would be interested in your thoughts of the SMMC20CL. How about a review!

Thanks for the offer, but I don't feel qualified.
    I've come back to turntables only recently, after a long hiatus. And I don't have any basis for comparison -- apart from the fact that I regularly find vinyl versions of recordings more pleasing to the ear than the CD ditto. (Disregarding the convenience of the CD).

• 07-02-2007 1:42 PM In reply to

I can only say Beogram 8002 as it's the only working one I have had so far. Got a Soundsmith Smc2 and it's clear, dynamic, bottom and so good that my idea of the next B&O system and dumping this is a bit hard.

Main reasons a few generate faults in the BM,BG and BC to be fixed. When working then why another stereo? Again the system is half beosystem 8000 so before cd players. Anyway it can be connected but sound is just as great on record and the Beocord 9000 is still king.

• 07-18-2007 3:27 PM In reply to

Peter:
    They do come up. However they were in p-roduction for less time than the 4002 and so there are fewer. They are also complex and some will have been deemed beyond economic repair. The really rare one is the 6000 whuch only comes up infrequently.

One turned up at dutch "ebay" if you're interested. Don't try offering anything for the BM6000, it's already reserved for meBig Smile

Matthijs.

Hope the link works:

BLOCKED SCRIPTol('http://audio-video.marktplaats.nl/platenspelers-en-pick-ups/103461619-bang-olufsen-beogram-6000.html');

else just search for beogram at www.marktplaats.nl

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)