in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-23-2009 4:09 PM by Sunny. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-09-2009 9:00 PM

• Sunny
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-09-2009
    • New York
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

Beogram may have just broke...

5500. i was cleaning off dust on the platter as it was spinning then it just shut off. will not turn back on.

any ideas..? 

• 01-10-2009 4:11 AM In reply to

Re: Beogram may have just broke...

Probably blown the fuse on the power supply.

Regards Graham

• 01-10-2009 5:31 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Yes, or the belt slipped off, jammed or snapped. Does the platter rotate by hand ?

Welcome to Beoworld ! Yes -  thumbs up

Martin

• 01-11-2009 1:47 PM In reply to

• Sunny
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-09-2009
    • New York
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

is blown fuse easy fix? (i'm working on upgrading my membership for access to manuals... ) can anyone recommend someone in NY to repair? or for parts?

i would think it is blown fuse versus belt because there is no sign of power in machine. does this sound like a correct analysis?  

thanks. 

• 01-12-2009 1:34 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

The fuse is simple enough to replace, it is near the power supply inside the deck.

To access it you need to put the Beogram into the service position. To do this there are 2 screws under the left hand side of the Beogram which need removing. This allows you to lift the whole of the top section which is hinged on the right hand side. Before you lift the top part make sure you move the tonearm & sensor carriage towards the middle of the platter where there is a cut out section at the back of the top plate. Once you have lifted the top section there is a metal rod at the back which lifts and acts as a support while you are working on it.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 01-12-2009 2:36 PM In reply to

• Sunny
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-09-2009
    • New York
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

thank you. i will look into this & report back.
  • 01-13-2009 8:51 PM In reply to

• Sunny
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-09-2009
    • New York
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

the fuse appears intact (minor impurities on the filament.. is that normal?)

would there be other fuses or things i should look at?

• 01-14-2009 2:29 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

You need to check the fuse for continuity, a visual check isn't really conclusive.

If you don't have a continuity meter to do this try wrapping some foil around the fuse and trying again - but this is only for very very short testing purposes and should be removed ASAP or you could cause untold damage to the beogram. THIS IS NOT A RECOMMENDED FIX.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 01-14-2009 9:43 AM In reply to

• Sunny
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-09-2009
    • New York
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

im picking up a new fuse tonight. i thought about doing something like you suggested but decided not to. i will report back. (still hoping its the fuse!)
  • 01-14-2009 10:10 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Bold writing or not, I can't believe you made that suggestion Chris!Surprise

Poor me, never win owt!

• 01-14-2009 10:33 AM In reply to

Jandyt:
    Bold writing or not, I can't believe you made that suggestion Chris!Surprise

Neither can I! ! Be careful Chris, the Statzpolizie will have you for it. Look what happened to me!!

Regards Graham

• 01-14-2009 10:35 AM In reply to

Sunny:
    im picking up a new fuse tonight. i thought about doing something like you suggested but decided not to. i will report back. (still hoping its the fuse!)

The original fuse is of a type that looks ok even when it is blown. Been there, done that several times!

The only way is to check it with a meter of substitute a known good one.

Regards Graham

• 01-14-2009 1:16 PM In reply to

• Sunny
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-09-2009
    • New York
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

ok cool. thanks.

i just looked into getting a new fuse... apparently mine is "slow"... i can get one that is "fast"... will this make a difference or should i look for a slow fuse?

i may have misunderstood the Canal St electronics guys... but does this sound right? basically, my filament is thicker than the ones i have found for sale.

thanks for all your help so far everyone! (especially since i didnt take the foil advice :D )

• 01-14-2009 2:00 PM In reply to

It's safe to try with a fast fuse - it may blow unnecessarily, but it will not cause any damage. If the Beogram works then, you'll know that the problem was just the blown fuse.

-mika

• 01-23-2009 4:09 PM In reply to

• Sunny
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-09-2009
    • New York
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

tournedos:
    It's safe to try with a fast fuse - it may blow unnecessarily, but it will not cause any damage. If the Beogram works then, you'll know that the problem was just the blown fuse.

the fuse worked. thank you everyone!!!!!Smile

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)