in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-07-2009 4:37 AM by Medogsfat. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-06-2009 12:47 PM

Beogram 6002 Belt size/supplier needed

Hi

Please can someone help? My beogram 6002 has started to play badly and the the first thing I suspect is the belt (as it's the original one!) and has been apart recently for transporting. I think that it's lost some of it's elasticity so when I put it back together have stretched it slightly.

I'd be really grateful if someone know's what size/part no it is and where I could get one from? Or even has one for sale?

Thanks

Phil

• 01-06-2009 3:04 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Beogram 6002 Belt size/supplier needed

Hi Phil,

Welcome to Beoworld !  Yes -  thumbs up

I can supply the belt but are you sure the belt is the problem ? whar are the symptoms ?

Martin

• 01-06-2009 3:25 PM In reply to

Hi Cheers for the reply. I don't think the belt is the problem anymore, symptoms were sounding out of tune and slowing down speeding up (is this called wowing?)

This is what I have just written on another site I posted on before finding this:

Cheers guys, I phoned B&O up, their standard service is £120 which (by B&O standards) doesn't sound too bad. They also said if I bring it in they'll match a new belt to it, he was too worried about getting it wrong without seeing it. Also told me that the MMC2 cartridges are available again in the UK (although at £200 I'd want to be more than sure that it'd make a difference!)

BUT.....

I just went to Halfords, spent £1.94 on a tin of 3 in 1 oil and WOW what a difference! Cleaned the worm gear on the arm and re-oiled; dripped a bit down the platter spindle/bearing and a couple of drips on the motor spindle. Ran the arm back and forward a few times, span the platter by hand (no belt attached) and (in hindsight maybe not the best idea but got away with it) left the motor running for 5 mins unloaded.

It now sounds better than it ever has since I've owned it.

Now I'm off to dig out my record collection :D

I wonder if B&O would let me try out a new cartridge as I'm sure a 30yr old one must need replacing by now?

• 01-06-2009 3:40 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Well you've identified the problem and saved yourself a packet. But I would clean off the 3 in 1 oil as it will soon start to thicken & pick up dust which will result in the problem returning, and instead use acid free sewing machine oil.

I doubt very much if your dealer was offering you a MMC2 at £200 though - far more likely to be a soundsmith SMMC4 which you can actually buy yourself directly from www.sound-smith.com for $149. These are the cartridges which they usually supply to B&O dealerships and very nice they are too.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 01-06-2009 6:20 PM In reply to

Cheers I think my mum has some sewing machine oil :D I'll get some off her when I next go and visit.

Thinking about it he did say they'd imported the cartridges from America so I guess it would be the soundsmith ones. He said they do the equivalent of the MMC2 (that's what I told him I had) although I've actually got an MMC3.

What's the difference between the soundsmith 2 and 3 - I presume I wouldn't actually notice a difference to my ears? and a new (sound smith) MMC2  would be better than a 25yr old MMC3?

• 01-07-2009 4:37 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

The soundsmith SMMC4 is better than the B&O MMC3 (I own both). I don't have a MMC2 to compare with though but I suspect the SMMC4 will hold its own pretty well against it.

A new soundsmith SMMC2 should in theory be much better but to be honest I couldn't justify the high cost for the amount of vinyl I play.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)