in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-25-2008 1:31 PM by Keith Saunders. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-24-2008 4:55 PM

beomedia crashes

HI,

I'm using a beomedia1 for some time without major problems...till last week.
    Now the system crashes but only when I play netmusic and look at the same time at photo's.
    When it plays only music it does not crash. (it can run for days...)
    Because I installed a lot of other stuff for viewing film etc i thought maybe the system is getting unstable (it is a microsoft OS ...)
    So, i did a recover + updates to have it clean and without any 3 party stuff on it.
    The re-install did not solve the problem .... listening to music and viewing photo's it crashes again ....
    It really crashes after 2 minutes, no errors on screen, nothing in log files also no reboot, just crashes and sometimes a blue screen but without any text on it.
    It could be a hardware problem, but why does it not crash doing other stuff ?

Any ideas ?

Filed under:
  • 11-25-2008 2:55 AM In reply to

Re: beomedia crashes

Let me start by answering your question, the Beomedia 1 runs the embedded version of Windows XP with Service Pack 2

Based on the information so far, it very much looks like a hardware problem.

When you did the restore, did you also restore your music and photo's as well ?

If you only restored the operating system, then I would suggest that you may have a problem with the hard drive.

I think you may need your dealer to check the hard drive for you. There is Windows a utility they can run without damaging the data on the disk which can check for potential disk errors and often recover the situation.

Regards Keith....

• 11-25-2008 12:18 PM In reply to

thanks for the reply.
    I did check the hard disk for disk errors, no errors found.
    I'm a computer consultant (love more unix than Gates his stufff...)
    So I know how to check disk and so on.
    The weird thing is, when i play music only it does not crash, when i view photos only,
    it does not crash either.
    Only when I use netmusic and view photos at the same time it crashes.
    I tried to reinstall several time, the indexing of the music takes about 20 minutes after fresh install, never crashed during indexing wich asks lots of cpu load...
    So I have the feeling the programs running together are creating a probem.
    At the other hand, it worked before ... so this would say hardware problem.
    I heard ther will be 1 update version for beomedia1 .
    Any idea when it will be released ?
    Anyway, I will ask my dealer to swap it or to test the same dataset on another system

nico

• 11-25-2008 1:31 PM In reply to

Based on your feedback, I still think you have a hardware problem.

Given that you have tested the disk and found no errors and given the "Problem Statement" where you say it only crashes when you have Netmusic AND viewing photos points to one of the following:-

• Memory failure when you get above a certain address band. This can be quickly tested.
    • A CPU/cache problem where the the memory management is using incorrect pointers above a certain address

No matter which one is causing your problem, you will need to get it replaced. 

Regards Keith....

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)