in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-24-2009 8:40 AM by Puncher. 57 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-19-2008 6:47 AM In reply to

Re: Every Day Design Classics.

The 2cv is certainly allowed. I was going to say Concorde. It wasnt designed to be beautiful but the best design for the job in hand had a byproduct that was beauty. Also if you gave a small child the same design breif (a super fast plane for the rich and famous) you would probably end up with more or less the same shape!
  • 11-19-2008 7:14 AM In reply to

beaker:
    I was going to say Concorde.

And I thought we were supposed to keep it simple...    

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 11-19-2008 7:31 AM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

Years ago,20-25 say when the kids were small we had and in fact still have a Childrens Encyclopedia which has a picture of Concorde with 21 items numbered my kids thought she was made of only 21 pieces ! - transposing that to now see Concorde is simple!

TSmile

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 11-19-2008 7:57 AM In reply to

Also for me (and many others) if you make a paper aeroplane it does tend to look more like concorde than any other plane, so i must be simpleBig Smile
  • 11-19-2008 8:29 AM In reply to

Very mundane entry:

In Europe (not often in the UK) they have cupboards above the kitchen sink with a draining rack as the base - you wash your dishes, and rack them in there and the excess water drips into the sink. You then put the plates away.

Why do the British keep using draining boards? - there are always plates on display unless you keep on top of the washing up and I think this is unsightly.

• 11-19-2008 8:43 AM In reply to

Graham1982:

In Europe (not often in the UK) they have cupboards above the kitchen sink with a draining rack as the base - you wash your dishes, and rack them in there and the excess water drips into the sink. You then put the plates away.

That is in fact a Finnish invention from the late forties. I don't think I have seen that elsewhere, and many foreign visitors used to wonder why nobody dries the dishes in Finland. Most people just keep the daily kitchenware there, though, and never bother to move them anywhere until next meal...

Wikipedia entry (in Finnish, sorry, but includes an image)

-mika

• 11-19-2008 8:55 AM In reply to

tournedos:
    Graham1982:

That is in fact a Finnish invention from the late forties. I don't think I have seen that elsewhere, and many foreign visitors used to wonder why nobody dries the dishes in Finland. Most people just keep the daily kitchenware there, though, and never bother to move them anywhere until next meal...

Wikipedia entry (in Finnish, sorry, but includes an image)

Mika, I never use mine either, it's full of kitchen ware. But my dishwasher also dries the plates after they are washed, so I guess this is one of the reasons why I never use it :)

I would have guessed it was a Scandinavian invention, even better now when we know it's a finnish invention. 

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 11-19-2008 9:02 AM In reply to

I think it is a really good idea -addresses the problem at hand and makes the kitchen look less of a mess. Such a simple concept - take bottom out of cupboard, screw draining board in its place. Why it is not more popular in the UK I will never know.
  • 11-19-2008 9:10 AM In reply to

• Christian
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 626
    • Bronze Member

I once saw a cupboard like this in Cannazei, Italy.

Living room: BV7-40 mkIV + V8000, BL5, BL3, BM1 and BS9000. Bedroom: MX3000 and BL4500 on MCL2-AV. Around: PentaIII, CX100 and MCX35 on ML/MCL + MCL2-A, BeoPort and BL4 on ML, BS3300 + M75 as stand alone, BC6000 + BC600 and BT1100, LC1, LC2, Beo4, Beo5 and BL1000, BS2 and A8, EarSet2, Apron, Coffee mugs, Enamel Bagdes, Bath towel, Keyring, Books, Lots of miniature and the Bottle opener. Office: BC2300 + BL2500 and BS3. Summer house: BS Century.

Addicted? Oh no.... ;)

• 11-19-2008 10:37 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

They are very poplular in Italy.

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 11-19-2008 1:07 PM In reply to

Graham1982:

Very mundane entry:

Why do the British keep using draining boards? - there are always plates on display unless you keep on top of the washing up and I think this is unsightly.

I know they exist, but I've never seen one in Holland. Like the British we seem to be happy with drianing boards.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 11-19-2008 1:35 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

A nerdy one from me here, the Shure SM58 - still the industry standard microphone, and has been for approaching 40 years. Indestructable, relatively cheap and sounds pretty good on almost any instrument/vocalist. Good in the studio or live.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 11-19-2008 2:56 PM In reply to

Dear Trip:

The classic paper-clip: Simple, elegant, & always functional.  Many other designs out there but the classic does it the best, IMHO.

Trip, have you or anyone else tried the Dualit Espresso maker?  I think it is new to their line.

Dario 

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 11-19-2008 8:54 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

beocool:
    Graham1982:

Very mundane entry:

I know they exist, but I've never seen one in Holland. Like the British we seem to be happy with drianing boards.

Not mundane i don't think, i reckon it's interesting! Wow i've never seen one of these here, i live alone, and being male i can't stand dishes - 99% of the time the dish rack is out with dishes on it left to dry and never put away!  

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 11-20-2008 3:23 AM In reply to

• Faz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-29-2008
    • Skelmersdale
    • Posts 36
    • Bronze Member

Graham1982:
    I think it is a really good idea -addresses the problem at hand and makes the kitchen look less of a mess. Such a simple concept - take bottom out of cupboard, screw draining board in its place. Why it is not more popular in the UK I will never know.

Every house on my estate has the sink directly under the kitchen window and thinking about it so do all of my friends and family - we seem to have a tradition of having something to look at whilst we do the dishes - I suspect the window blocks the option of having a cupboard above fitted

My everyday classic is my Siemens Kettle - still my favourite and obviously used everyday :)

MX4000 Glossy Black /Beo 4 / Motorised Stand
  • 03-10-2009 10:03 AM In reply to

I have a question for those of you who have Alessi's Juicy Salif; I was wiping dust off mine today and for the first time I noticed it has another logo right next to Alessi's one. It looks like a logo for Centre Pompidou to me. Do all of them have this or is mine special (edition:) - and if, why?

I bought it from our official Alessi dealer here and not in that lovely shop in Centre Pompidou, so I am a bit baffled why it would have this.

EDIT: I was right, it is the Centre Pompidou logo. This is what is looks like:

Centre Pompidou logo

• 03-10-2009 10:43 AM In reply to

• Henri
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-15-2009
    • Posts 66
    • Gold Member

Checked a couple of mine, one from '94, another from '96 and they both have the logo. I hadn't noticed it before.

• 03-10-2009 4:27 PM In reply to

Interesting, right? I wonder why they've put it there... anyone?

• 03-10-2009 4:43 PM In reply to

• Luke
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-03-2009
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 286
    • Bronze Member

gorissek:

I have a question for those of you who have Alessi's Juicy Salif; I was wiping dust off mine today and for the first time I noticed it has another logo right next to Alessi's one. It looks like a logo for Centre Pompidou to me. Do all of them have this or is mine special (edition:) - and if, why?

I bought it from our official Alessi dealer here and not in that lovely shop in Centre Pompidou, so I am a bit baffled why it would have this.

EDIT: I was right, it is the Centre Pompidou logo. This is what is looks like:

Centre Pompidou logo

Ours has that too.... I expected it to have 'Starck' on it from some reason. I don't even know who Alessi is Embarrassed

• 03-10-2009 5:49 PM In reply to

Shame on you! Smile

Alessi is the company that makes Juicy Salif. Take a look at their website and I guarantee you will find a myriad of extremely beautiful products you don't really need, but desperately want

PS. I just found out that they don't make their Walter Wayle II clock anymore, so if anyone has an idea where I could still get one, I'm all ears. Not too fond of eBay, though.

• 03-10-2009 6:49 PM In reply to

Alex:

A nerdy one from me here, the Shure SM58 - still the industry standard microphone, and has been for approaching 40 years. Indestructable, relatively cheap and sounds pretty good on almost any instrument/vocalist. Good in the studio or live.

i am in complete agreement with you on this Alex. I have compered many competitions, events and festivals over the years using the SM58 more than any other mic. We also use them at the radio station although only inside the studio, not outside in field interviews because of their sensitivity and lack of wind proof elimination etc.

Simon.

• 03-10-2009 7:03 PM In reply to

• Xseries
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hampshire
    • Posts 433
    • Bronze Member

Graham1982:

Very mundane entry:

Only just caught up with this thread, - most sinks in the UK are placed in front of the window to provide light and enable people to see out whilst doing the dishes  - as a result putting a cupboard over the window rather blocks the light! 
    Brian

• 03-11-2009 2:35 AM In reply to

• Luke
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-03-2009
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 286
    • Bronze Member

gorissek:
    Take a look at their website and I guarantee you will find a myriad of extremely beautiful products you don't really need, but desperately want

Thanks. Just what I need. More gorgeous useless stuff to lust over.

As for that juicer.... I used it once..... then had to go buy another juicer that doesn't cover the kitchen in juice. I still love it and have it sitting in the kitchen on display. Hmmmm modern life.

• 03-11-2009 6:37 AM In reply to

You are not alone there, I have never used mine too and probably never will. It is displayed on the counter and I have an ugly electric one in the closet that I use. Actually, I seriously doubt anyone uses it on a daily basis. But that's not it was intended for anyway. I think Starck said it's not a lemon squeezer but a conversation starter.

• 03-11-2009 4:16 PM In reply to

I also happen to own the Juicy Salif. One of the very few Starck designs I actually like...

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

Page 2 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >