in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-24-2009 8:40 AM by Puncher. 57 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (58 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-17-2008 10:56 AM

Every Day Design Classics.

I thought I would start a thread on what people consider to be design classics but I would like people to keep their suggestions in the realms of the real world so dont go saying a £30,000 coffee table. What I am looking for are those things which look perfect for the task they were designed to do and do that task perfectly.

I will start it off with:

1. The Maglite torch. A 4D cell maglite to me is a classic and you can see why so many law enforcement type of people use them as it can double up as a formidable weapon!

2. The Dualit Toaster. It just looks so "right" and makes the best toast bar none! The technology is ancient, but why change it?

Tell me your perfect designs.

• 11-17-2008 11:06 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Re: Every Day Design Classics.

That is SUCH a good idea!

I agree i've never seen a dualit toaster, but now i want one it does look just right, very homey!

I think these chairs (Designed in 1958 for the SAS Royal Hotel in Copenhagen Denmark) are very classic... 

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 11-17-2008 11:20 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

I like the white Charles Eames Lounge Chair also, it looks classic and modern at the same time Smile.

We Can't Get Enough B&O Stuff...

• 11-17-2008 11:34 AM In reply to

Hi Beaker,

I agree ...very nice Idea..

Well I have a few (and not all I might add) ... and in no particular order... but all are items that I feel have stood the test of time and will continue to give owners much pleasure and there represent great value beyond their purchase price..

1. Knoll - Saarinen Side Tables  

2. Herman Miller - Eames plywood chairs

3. Knoll - Platner Side Tables

4. Louis Poulsen - Artichoke Pendant

5. Louis Poulsen - AJ floor Lamp

6. Frits Hansen  -  PK 80 - Day Bed 

Well thats it for now.... 

• 11-17-2008 11:50 AM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

Dave:

I think these chairs (Designed in 1958 for the SAS Royal Hotel in Copenhagen Denmark) are very classic... 

I also like them, but as you inderectly point out, they were designed before the surround sound started to rule the home entertainment. For stereo sound only listening they still look cool ... (George Michael no doubt noticing the problem released a video some time ago where their design was slightly improved on - with built in loudspeakers) Big Smile

• 11-17-2008 12:40 PM In reply to

i suppose the mini car was a classic ran for a lot of years and here again

malcolm

• 11-17-2008 1:52 PM In reply to

Le Corbusier  chair .... timeless ....

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 11-17-2008 2:09 PM In reply to

I've got one of these, and absolutely love it. Very much like B&O. 

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 11-17-2008 2:56 PM In reply to

I was more after things that are simple. Just items which are produced to do a job and end up beautiful as an afterthought. The London tube map is an example. Produced to be simple and easy to understand with no thought for decoration and now considered to be an all time classic piece of design.
  • 11-17-2008 3:04 PM In reply to

The Parker 51 fountain pen.
  • 11-17-2008 3:11 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

beaker:
    I was more after things that are simple. Just items which are produced to do a job and end up beautiful as an afterthought. The London tube map is an example. Produced to be simple and easy to understand with no thought for decoration and now considered to be an all time classic piece of design.

Three things which I use daily, that I consider to be designs classics.

Clipper lighter (unchanged design for as long as I can remember)

Bic biro (Not as nice as Peter's choice of pen I seeLaughing)

Stanley knife (The original and best IMO)

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 11-17-2008 3:33 PM In reply to

beaker:

Good thread Beaker

I have a Maglite and a Dualit toaster + collect London underground posters and maps, so agree with you! Get your point about the 'everday' aspect too - there's something a bit exclusive about Le Courbusier chairs and the like. I have a couple of everyday classics to add:

Anglepoise lamps - I have one lighting my desk now as I write.

GPO Trimphone - I took a call on one earlier in my living room.

Paperclips - where would we be without them?

La Pavoni Europiccola lever action espresso machine - I was going to use mine after tea, but was too lazy to fire it up. Still a wonderous piece of machinery :)

Just my £0.02 worth. 

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 11-17-2008 9:59 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

nmartin771:

No, that TV is... Wink  !

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 11-18-2008 3:59 AM In reply to

:

-mika

• 11-18-2008 5:16 AM In reply to

Our lemon squeezer from Alessi does its job well and has such a classical design too.

Sorry guys, my Mac doesn't let me display the photo on my post, or even hyperlink! 

• 11-18-2008 8:13 AM In reply to

I was just about to post about Juicy Salif, but then I figured it isn't really used daily. It mostly just stands there and looks beautiful, while you use the electric one : )

Otherwise, I'm surprised no one mentioned Artemide's Tolomeo light. I have two in my apartment, one for the desk and a floor standing one and I just love them. Also, Verner Pantons S ( or Panton ) chair is another classic and a must have. I just wish I had more space.

• 11-18-2008 8:23 AM In reply to

Dave:
    nmartin771:

No, that TV is... Wink  !

Together with LE COURBISIER  .... the perfect marriage Smile

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 11-18-2008 9:52 AM In reply to

Stars:

Our lemon squeezer from Alessi does its job well and has such a classical design too.

http://www.questodesign.com/shop/images/kitchen/alessi/PSJS_m.jpg

Sorry guys, my Mac doesn't let me display the photo on my post, or even hyperlink! 

Are you using Safari? I use Macs and Firefox allows you to link!

• 11-18-2008 12:15 PM In reply to

• AdiS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-24-2007
    • Posts 196
    • Bronze Member

think the Victorinox Swiss-knife is such an item. Not expensive (the smaller one ) but very useless!
  • 11-18-2008 12:56 PM In reply to

gorissek:

I was just about to post about Juicy Salif, but then I figured it isn't really used daily. It mostly just stands there and looks beautiful, while you use the electric one : )

Otherwise, I'm surprised no one mentioned Artemide's Tolomeo light. I have two in my appartement, one for the desk and a floor standing one and I just love them. Also, Verner Pantons S ( or Panton ) chair is another classic and a must have. I just wish I had more space.

I've owned a Juicy Salif for ages and I never used it. Looks great, though. Other everyday favourites are:

• PK 22 lounge chaire, designed by Poul Kjaerholm
    • PK 24, Chaise Longue, again designed by Kjaerholm, which I prefer above LeCorbusier's LC 4
    • PK 80 daybed, also designed by Kjaerholm
    • Barcelona chair, designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
    • The K2 phonebooth, designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott
    • Ray Ban Wayfarer sunglasses
    • Lotek floor / table Lamp designed by Benno Premsela

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 11-18-2008 2:24 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

j0hnbarker:

Anglepoise lamps - I have one lighting my desk now as I write.

They were made just down the road from my mates house. Used to have one at work until my boss decided it needed some expert repair. Might have to find the parts, and see if I can fix it. Have to agree tough a classic design.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 11-18-2008 3:19 PM In reply to

They're great - so unobtrusive, but perhaps that's the mark of a classic: you don't notice it most of the time because it does its job so well.

• 11-18-2008 3:35 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

The can opener, which I believe arrived some years after the advent of canning food.

Ring pull on beer cans - brilliant!

A little left field of the OP but Sgt Peppers album sleeve is just perfect, timeless (as is a lot of B&O of that period) and oft copied.

My favourite one I don't own, but would love to is the Le Corbusier lounger (it would have to be a prohibitively expensive original though) - I can live without one of these - but not the beer can ring pullBig Smile

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 11-18-2008 4:46 PM In reply to

Medogsfat:

Ring pull on beer cans - brilliant!

What about the B&O bottle opener then Chris? Surely that combines two of your loves? ;) 

• 11-18-2008 4:49 PM In reply to

how about a deaux chevaux? or is that too complex?

@john: i like the idea of the b&o bottle opener, too!

• B&o bottle opener
Page 1 of 3 (58 items) 1 2 3 Next >