in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-01-2009 8:21 AM by stefan. 104 replies.
Page 2 of 5 (105 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-14-2008 4:56 PM In reply to

Re: Beosound 5 specs

yeah... D/A chips are cheap. I am most worried about the implementation of the operating software and the clocking system. And not to mention the output stages.... But who wants to go into the technicals?..... Let's hope that the Beosound 5 is as important to B&O as it was purported to be. 
  • 11-15-2008 5:25 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

wonderfulelectric:
    Puncher:
    PhilLondon:
    wonderfulelectric:

Nah.... hardware changes to an electronic only takes a fews days to a few weeks nowadays.

No they don't!

If you are unlucky enough to need to change the "wrong" component, I have known certain parts to be on a 39 week leadtime (yes 39 weeks, it is not a typo)!

Erm... Are you speaking about changing the production line? The Beosound 5 has been in under development for such a long time. Modifying a product during its R&D phase is not hard at all, especially if you use off the shelf internal components. And of course I was referring to prior to Beosound 5s production. 

I stand by what I said, some electronic components, in production volumes, will typically have a leadtime of 13 weeks (and sometimes much higher in the case I quoted). In these cases you need to order stuff well in advance of actually needing it, change one of these parts during the final stages of design or testing and see how popular you can become among the introduction team!

Having said that if you don't sell many you could get them from a distributer.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 11-15-2008 6:05 AM In reply to

Worked why the BS5 has been delayed:-

"It has (not) been established that the design of the main control interface on the Beosound 5 had a fatal flaw. Therefore, in view of the continuing high standard of product development and consumer expectation, Bang and Olufsen have been compelled to recall between zero and 20 million post-production units and manually change the complex interface to the correct one prior to despatching the units to pre-paid customers. This short-sight in product development and manufacture has resulted in a delayed product roll-out of approximately 3 years and was probably one of the contributing factors why the former CEO and LEGO-meister Torben Ballegaard Sørensen lost his job."

Senior B&O management would not have been on the record for "We believe that our customers will fully benefit from this late change in design of two triangles and a square to a simpler and HMDI compliant two arrows and a "Go" and that the wait and ultimate user-experience will be well worth their while. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing properly"

(in humour!)

http://www.beosound5.com/LaunchEventVideo.html?TId=42007647096

to:-

http://www.beosound5.com/Default.aspx?lang=en

10%

• 11-15-2008 8:03 AM In reply to

wonderfulelectric:
    yeah... D/A chips are cheap. I am most worried about the implementation of the operating software and the clocking system. And not to mention the output stages.... But who wants to go into the technicals?..... Let's hope that the Beosound 5 is as important to B&O as it was purported to be. 

What I don't understand,if D/A converters are cheap why don't they use the best one?

• 11-15-2008 9:54 AM In reply to

koning:

wonderfulelectric:

What I don't understand,if D/A converters are cheap why don't they use the best one?

Yeah... The thing is what is the best one? Some boutique companies actually make their own D/A chips ie.. Goldmund and Chord. Apparently it is not that expensive to make your own either. You know till this day. I am still not quite sure how the Beosound 5 is suppose to work. Is it like the Beocentre 2 with the separate box connected to the control but without a built in drive?   

• 11-15-2008 11:20 AM In reply to

The Beosound 5 is simply the controller for the Beomaster 5. It allows browsing without a TV set of digital music and also helps select Internet Radio channels. Whether you want this is something only the consumer can decide. The addition of the MOTS system provides a sophisticated algorithm based piece of software that helps maximise your music collection. One thought of what you wish to listen to can result in an instant play list of similar mood music being prepared. Unlike Genius on Apple, it is not dependent upon broad tags but actually on the music itself. This really is quite clever! If I were to buy a Beosound 5, it would be for that feature. 
  • 11-15-2008 12:33 PM In reply to

wonderfulelectric

Do you think the D/A converter in the bs-5 is better than in the bs-90000.

• 11-16-2008 6:44 AM In reply to

Peter :
    The Beosound 5 is simply the controller for the Beomaster 5. It allows browsing without a TV set of digital music and also helps select Internet Radio channels. Whether you want this is something only the consumer can decide. The addition of the MOTS system provides a sophisticated algorithm based piece of software that helps maximise your music collection. One thought of what you wish to listen to can result in an instant play list of similar mood music being prepared. Unlike Genius on Apple, it is not dependent upon broad tags but actually on the music itself. This really is quite clever! If I were to buy a Beosound 5, it would be for that feature. 

Thank you Peter!

• 11-16-2008 6:48 AM In reply to

Can't really say that is better but they are definitely very different. The D/A converter in BS 9000 uses oversampling whereas the D/A converter in BS 5 may be upsampling or simply a simple standard D/A conversion. The method employed in BS 9000 may introduce more ultrasonic noise but it is argued that the method may preserve better phase. Anyways since the BS 5 is just introduced whereas the BS 9000 has been in the market for over a decade, it is without a doubt that the BS 5 will be technically superior.
  • 11-16-2008 7:30 AM In reply to

To be fair to the BS9000, it has been upgraded a number of times. I am not sure if the DAC has changed but it is the same as the one in the Naim CD5 which is a very highly thought of CD player. Obviously it only has to deal with CD output and has no need for more than this. Some would claim it is a master of one rather than a jack of all trades!
  • 11-16-2008 8:17 AM In reply to

• 11-16-2008 9:37 AM In reply to

To all people who have seen and hear it........How is the sound Quality?

• 11-16-2008 9:55 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Do we know whether the soft/firmware for the MOTS feature is actually resident in the BS5 or does it reside in the BM5?

• 11-16-2008 10:20 AM In reply to

Good question - it would seem from reading the manuals that it is in the BS5. No mention of MOTS in the Beomaster user manual. No obvious way to enable it as you have the standard Beomedia interface when used with a TV.
  • 11-16-2008 10:54 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

When I heard it, it was through a set of Beolab 9's. Tried a various types of music from what was stored on the Beosound. From classical to some very heavy rock and most types in between. Sound was very impressive, I would imagine the track were in a lossless format. Also tried out some N.Radio stations too for good measure. Again sound was very good too. Spekers were connected by Powerlink to the Beomaster 5.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 11-16-2008 11:26 AM In reply to

mobeyone:

And the absence of the word GO made it that you could possibly turn it and make a left handed Beosound 5. 

• 11-16-2008 11:54 AM In reply to

• Mico
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-06-2007
    • Finland
    • Posts 136
    • Founder

So long Datalink?

What a pitty, I would have wanted to hook up different Datalink enabled sources to the audio master. That would have solved the CD and Ipod issue as well. Personally I will keep buying CDs as long as they are available - new or second hand ie a long time. BS5 seems to be a digital curiosity instead of a full audio system. I never use shuffle in Ipod or genious in Itunes so MOTS needs to be something groundbraking to be useful. I will buy the unit anyway but would have wanted more.

Any hope for a future upgrade?

• 11-16-2008 12:59 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

RE the sound performance - B&O have taken the sonic performance very seriously - think of a product to compliment the BeoLab 5 (hence the '5' moniker). The audio circuitry was designed by B&O - it's not an 'off-the-shelf' sound chip.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 11-16-2008 4:44 PM In reply to

Alex:
    think of a product to compliment the BeoLab 5 (hence the '5' moniker)

Afaik this is not true for the product now released. Their were several incarnations of the bs5 while developing it. Hence the long time til finishing the project. The first one(s) being true high-end systems to complement the bl5. But not this one. This product is definitely not specially intended for use with bl5. Sorry. The "5" is just a free number here.

Kind regards, beoberlin 

• 11-17-2008 2:14 AM In reply to

beoberlin:

Alex:

Afaik this is not true for the product now released. Their were several incarnations of the bs5 while developing it. Hence the long time til finishing the project. The first one(s) being true high-end systems to complement the bl5. But not this one. This product is definitely not specially intended for use with bl5. Sorry. The "5" is just a free number here.

Kind regards, beoberlin 

I don't think there's anything to worry about the digital output of Beosound 5. As long as it is properly grounded and matched to SPDIF specifications, things should work perfect. Hard disk players are known for their phenomenal digital output sound performance, rivaling the costliest cd transports out there. Take for example the Ipod, in 2003 stereophile tested the device and measured a stunningly low 203psec of output jitter. Of course the interfacing with a pc for data transfer did most of the work but hard disk players are clearly superior. The most popular comment for a hard disk server is " it is so analogue like".

• 11-17-2008 5:47 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

wonderfulelectric:
    beoberlin:

Alex:

Kind regards, beoberlin 

..................The most popular comment for a hard disk server is " it is so analogue like".

I'm sorry to appear argumentative but I can't think of any reason why this would be true. If your digital data is available at the D/A when required by a (local and stable) D/A clock then the transport can have no effect on the quality of the music, either subjective or quantative.

• 11-17-2008 6:24 AM In reply to

Alex:
    RE the sound performance - B&O have taken the sonic performance very seriously - think of a product to compliment the BeoLab 5 (hence the '5' moniker). The audio circuitry was designed by B&O - it's not an 'off-the-shelf' sound chip.
    I may be on thin ice here but I always assumed the '5' moniker was to represent "first in it's class"
    BM5000
    BG5000
    BG5000CD
    BC5000
    BL5
    Beo5
    BS5
    2's, 3's, 4's, 6's, 7's, 8's and 9's always have nearly always followed the 5's as a ground-breaking product.
    10%
  • 11-17-2008 10:41 AM In reply to

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

not entirely true ... they've switched back and forth ... the 7000 for example was a ground braking series...
  • 11-17-2008 1:43 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

The '5' thing started with the BeoVision 5 in 2002, although they obviously now lack a television with the '5' title.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 11-17-2008 6:42 PM In reply to

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

Alex:

The '5' thing started with the BeoVision 5 in 2002, although they obviously now lack a television with the '5' title.

Still use my beloved BV5-42 every day :-))) 

Page 2 of 5 (105 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >