in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-17-2008 10:37 AM by mor. 55 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (56 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-12-2008 6:58 PM In reply to

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

Re: Embedded Windows XP in Beosound 5????

Puncher:

PhilLondon:
    Hopefully the BS5 will not give us the blue screen of death... I often see ATM and Airport displays that need a reboot!

................. and compare that to those that you have seen/used that didn't.

sorry, but that attitude only shows that one has lowered expectations to software/middleware/OS. Any crash should be considered intolerable! 

• 11-12-2008 9:06 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

mor:
    Does anyone know why B&O did not make use of a touch screen??

We don't know...we may never know.  We may be told and never understand.

Allow me to shamelessly borrow from Doutglas Adams' original radio-play for The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  From Episode 10:

BIRD ONE:

Only decent thing our ancestors ever did. Come on, I’ll show you. 

[BIRD flies them both off] 

ARTHUR:
    I want to go down, not up. 

BIRD ONE:
    There. You see it? 

ARTHUR:
    What? 

BIRD ONE:
    Look up, look up! 

ARTHUR:
    You’re hurting my neck. 

BIRD ONE:
    Soon be over. Look! That’s it. 

ARTHUR:
    But - It looks like… like… just like a plastic cup! Hanging in the sky. It’s…It’s about a mile long. 

BIRD ONE:
    Looks like plastic. Carved from solid marble there. 

ARTHUR:
    But the weight of it! What’s supporting it?! What keeps it there?! 

BIRD ONE:
    Art. 

ARTHUR:
    Art?! 

BIRD ONE:
    It’s only part of the main statue - fifteen miles high. It’s directly behind us, but I’ll circle round in a moment. 

When one is constructing a statue of a man throwing a cup, clearly the cup 'must be there'.  Clearly, the BeoSound 5 doesn't use a touch-screen...so perhaps it didn't need to be there, or perhaps its presence detracted from some other critical element.  

Art.  That's why.

Thanks Douglas...for everything. 

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 11-12-2008 9:43 PM In reply to

mor:
    Does anyone know why B&O did not make use of a touch screen??

I'll tell you why......having recently bought my childhood dream machine of a mint Beocenter 9500 and a Beo5.

FINGERPRINTS!

That's why.

BC9xxx, BL7000, Beo5......all look great, all have great interfaces, all look really sexy but they always get smudged to kingdom come with fingerprints and spoil the rush.

Simple answer.

10% 

• 11-13-2008 3:05 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

mor:
    Puncher:

PhilLondon:
    Hopefully the BS5 will not give us the blue screen of death... I often see ATM and Airport displays that need a reboot!

................. and compare that to those that you have seen/used that didn't.

sorry, but that attitude only shows that one has lowered expectations to software/middleware/OS. Any crash should be considered intolerable! 

............. and were these hardware or software problems? Nothing is 100%  - we could stop the world until everything is corrected or we can be pragmatic about it, while making sure that in safety critical systems, where failure cannot be tolerated, there are the required levels of redundancy built in where necessary.

Even the almighty Apple has technical forums full of folk complaining about something or other!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 11-13-2008 4:51 PM In reply to

• magnushj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-16-2007
    • Trondheim, Norway
    • Posts 139
    • Silver Member

PhilLondon:
    XP or not, no other brand will play your iTunes music because Apple does not license the DRM...

For all the music you have in iTunes that you have ripped yourself or that is iTunes+ (wihtout DRM), then the Beosound can play it just fine.

From the makers of my favorite media center application: http://elan.plexapp.com/2008/11/12/plexseven-itunes-drm-audio-playback/

;) 

As for the BeoSound 5, I think it looks great, and I'm glad they didn't use a touch screen. It'll my greasy fingerprints on the old Beocenter 9500. :)

The robot arm controllers we use in the lab at my university use embedded Windows NT, and they are made for car assembly. No blue screens of death accepted in that industry!

Beocenter 9500+Beolab Penta mk2+Avant+MX7000+Beosound Ouverture+1xBeolab 6000 :)
  • 11-14-2008 6:49 AM In reply to

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

Beosound 5 could not prevent it ... and I hope it's not to blame ... B&O stock plunged 17% ...

• 11-14-2008 7:14 AM In reply to

mor:

Beosound 5 could not prevent it ... and I hope it's not to blame ... B&O stock plunged 17% ...

Since when? It was up 2.09% fifteen minutes ago. If you talk about a longer scale, have you noticed anything else going on in the world lately? Huh?

-mika

• 11-14-2008 12:09 PM In reply to

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

over the last week ... sure I know what's going on ... but I find it very surprising that this "stellar" product launch did not work in favour of the rating ... (but maybe that's one of the rules that dont apply anymore :-)
  • 11-14-2008 12:26 PM In reply to

B&O stock moves relatively little, so whenever somebody manages to buy or sell a larger lump the "value" jumps all over the place. The drop has been generally similar to the indices for the last month or so (I have some, so I have been paying attention Cool ). All the stocks have plummeted...

-mika

• 11-14-2008 1:07 PM In reply to

• Christian
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 626
    • Bronze Member

PhilLondon:
    What's the matter... you will not even see that it is windows if it wasn't written in the specs... and I am an Apple Nut, Microsoft hater. p.

Actually one of the BeoSound 5s at the show in Copenhagen, wednesday, had a software failure, and on came a Windows dialouge box, with OK or Cancel....

It made it seem it less glamouruos.

Living room: BV7-40 mkIV + V8000, BL5, BL3, BM1 and BS9000. Bedroom: MX3000 and BL4500 on MCL2-AV. Around: PentaIII, CX100 and MCX35 on ML/MCL + MCL2-A, BeoPort and BL4 on ML, BS3300 + M75 as stand alone, BC6000 + BC600 and BT1100, LC1, LC2, Beo4, Beo5 and BL1000, BS2 and A8, EarSet2, Apron, Coffee mugs, Enamel Bagdes, Bath towel, Keyring, Books, Lots of miniature and the Bottle opener. Office: BC2300 + BL2500 and BS3. Summer house: BS Century.

Addicted? Oh no.... ;)

• 11-14-2008 6:02 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

...hence why the BeoSound 5 isn't actually being released 'for sale' until next year.

If you can't see the BeoSound 5 for more than 'it plays the same sources as my BM-Link, so why buy it?', then you're missing the point entirely.

Since when did you buy a BeoSound 9000 if you could play CDs from your computer. Why buy a BeoCenter 2 if you can spend £40 on something at Dixons which does pretty much the same thing? If you can answer those questions, then you can justify the BeoSound 5.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 11-14-2008 7:15 PM In reply to

I agree Alex. There seems to be an incredible amount of negative attitude towards the Beosound 5 on the forum. Personally I will wait till I see and hear it in the metal. Like a lot of B&O products I am sure it will grow on me.
  • 11-16-2008 1:46 PM In reply to

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

propaganda:
    I agree Alex. There seems to be an incredible amount of negative attitude towards the Beosound 5 on the forum. Personally I will wait till I see and hear it in the metal. Like a lot of B&O products I am sure it will grow on me.

It's most likely a very correct observation that there's little enthusiasm about the Beosound 5.

I share that attitiude: It's been announced for too long. It's overpromising and ... underdelivering. It's no audio-system but an add-on for existing systems ... and a damn expensive one. On top it is a system that negates the B&O quality of backward compability. If at least the head-unit would be wireless (with a docking station) then I would be tempted – as finally the two-way remote I have been hoping for. And don't get me wrong: I like the design, I for what I know like the user interface. But if one wants an add-on then I guess most people on the forum are aware that e.g. AppleTV plus iPhone (even plus Beoport if wanted) give more added functionality plus one fourth of cost!!!!

• 11-16-2008 2:03 PM In reply to

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

Alex:

Why buy a BeoCenter 2 if you can spend £40 on something at Dixons which does pretty much the same thing? If you can answer those questions, then you can justify the BeoSound 5.

Alex, I think many folks on here have been critical of the BS5 because we all want to see B&O succeed, rather than being left with a perception that the company we know and love are continually behind the times. Obviously most of us have to see the device and play with it in person before coming up with a final judgement, but from what we DO know about the device, and what it is supposed to do / to provide to the potential purchaser, I don't think that all the head-scratching on these forums is unwarranted. -Sal
    Love B&O, but no longer addicted.
  • 11-16-2008 2:43 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Alex:

Since when did you buy a BeoSound 9000 if you could play CDs from your computer. Why buy a BeoCenter 2 if you can spend £40 on something at Dixons which does pretty much the same thing? If you can answer those questions, then you can justify the BeoSound 5.

You're losing the plot Alex! When you start spending thousands of pounds on B&O kit - rather than simply talking about it - then you'll realise that we spend longer considering our options. It's very easy for someone who doesn't invest in the kit, to be an advocate of all things B&O. For most people, a £3600 purchase would take months of saving and requires a lot of justification. Most people do not spend this money on their holidays through a year.

Yet we're supposed to invest this in a BS5, for what reasons in your opinion, exactly?

The reason we, or I, purchase a BC2 as it's a superbly well-designed disc player that integrates nicely with the rest of our B&O kit. At the moment, if you look around, you can pick up a mint condition unit for under £2000. Connect that to an existing audio streaming service and you mind find it represents better value, for someone wanting to buy B&O kit, than the BS5.

Your reasoning that we might as well buy a cheap CD player from Dixons - or of course the BS5 - doesn't add up. There are alternative solutions, even if this includes buying alternative B&O kit.

• 11-16-2008 2:46 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Sal:
    Alex, I think many folks on here have been critical of the BS5 because we all want to see B&O succeed

Absolutely correct. Which is why I say you should look at other B&O kit, but merge this with your existing streaming audio system. For me, my iTunes streaming Mac Mini integrates with every single bit of B&O kit, through A.AUX. I can also stream and hear the same track, simultaneously, through each B&O device, without delay, across my apartment. Whether I'm in the bedroom or living room, on either floor, I hear the same track.

We all want B&O to do well, but at the moment, the BS5 looks like a rather expensive unit that ticks most, but not all, of the boxes.

• 11-16-2008 3:13 PM In reply to

Alex:

If you can't see the BeoSound 5 for more than 'it plays the same sources as my BM-Link, so why buy it?', then you're missing the point entirely.

What is the point then Alex?

I like quality in everything I buy and I have used B&O since 1976 or so. 

I watch TV. Some terrestial and some Sky.

I listen to some music. Not every day but just when I feel like it. 100% on CD. I don't have many cd's. Perhaps a couple of dozen or so. I only buy what I like and my taste is limited.

I listen to the radio, mostly R2 or R4 from the BBC but occasionally to local radio, all on FM

Come on Alex, what is the point? Sell it to me.

Am I an oddball or is there a considerable market out there made up of people like me.

Regards Graham

• 11-16-2008 4:22 PM In reply to

I think what Alex want to say is that if you look at the features only, nothing would justify buying a BC9000 or a BC2. It is not the features that makes a B&O product, but the design, elegance, usablility, etc...

Hopefully it will be the same with BS5, in term of features, it does the same as an iPod, an Airport Express or another digital juke box, but it will do it with style.  

• 11-16-2008 5:03 PM In reply to

To me the posts 158063 to 158094 sum up quite good my personal reservations about bs5.

The product is discussed since I don´t remember anymore when, but way to long and was highly charged with expectations. I was ready to get rid of my bs9000 and change it for bs5 the moment it would become available. But I was expecting a full "real" beosound, as it is named and marketed. But after careful observation it seems at least to me more like a beogram only for mp3 etc., which is highly dependent on a lot of additional gear. To load it with content, I need an additional pc. To play my existing sources, I need an additional beosound. But if I already have all this stuff, why should I buy this product, which does nothing more then offering a slightly different way of playing digital music? Especially in my case, as I´m a Mac-only guy, having already the necessary equipment, I´m completely clueless. Plus it does so much more "not" (no video, no wireless, no 2way, no fm, no cd...I´m tired of listing it all), than what it´s actually doing (playing digital music).

Kind regards, beoberlin 

• 11-16-2008 5:35 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

If the BeoSound 5 is a BeoGram for MP3s, then the BeoSound 9000 is a BeoGram for CDs.

The BeoSound 5 handles radio, and high quality storage medium playback, just like a BeoSound 9000. It can't be compared to the BeoCenter 2, as this is an audio & video source.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 11-16-2008 6:09 PM In reply to

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

beoberlin:

To me the posts 158063 to 158094 sum up quite good my personal reservations about bs5.

The product is discussed since I don´t remember anymore when, but way to long and was highly charged with expectations. I was ready to get rid of my bs9000 and change it for bs5 the moment it would become available. But I was expecting a full "real" beosound, as it is named and marketed. But after careful observation it seems at least to me more like a beogram only for mp3 etc., which is highly dependent on a lot of additional gear. To load it with content, I need an additional pc. To play my existing sources, I need an additional beosound. But if I already have all this stuff, why should I buy this product, which does nothing more then offering a slightly different way of playing digital music? Especially in my case, as I´m a Mac-only guy, having already the necessary equipment, I´m completely clueless. Plus it does so much more "not" (no video, no wireless, no 2way, no fm, no cd...I´m tired of listing it all), than what it´s actually doing (playing digital music).

Kind regards, beoberlin 

I could not have put it in better words! I was VERY hesitant before getting my BC2 last year. Just because BS5 was already announced / teased as THE one audio system that would be B&O's step forward. And if the BS5 would not be stationary but mobile with docking station I might still have been tempted. But as announced it does nothing I do not have, yet. I am disappointed just because I like B&O and not because I want to put it down. Honestly I love new toys - but they have to be of some value.

And to the above I have to disagree: the BS9000 is no Beogram for CDs .... When launched it played all up-to-date music formats (cd and FM) ... down its way it way even able to access digital media. The BS4 added SD card and DAB. Same for BC2 ... played all current formats: CD, DVD, FM - latter versions DAB. Now you may have a differing opinion about the BS5 than I have - but you will agree that it skips key formats that people use today: no DAB (for Europe), no XM (for the US), no CD, no DVD, no SACD, no DAB, no DMB, no FM, no digital AM .... OK - I did not expect them all - but a lack of them all is really putting me down.

• 11-16-2008 6:49 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Admittedly the BeoSound 5 is more of a future product, and it will, if anything, become more relevant as DAB makes it's exit (which it is already doing) along with CD.

The BeoSound 5 won't do DVD as it's not a BeoCenter. 'SACD', or more accurately high-definition audio is a possibility; I'm not sure what sample rates and bit depths the BeoSound 5 supports!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 11-16-2008 6:56 PM In reply to

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

Not so sure about the exit of DAB ... really only beginning to take off on the continent...
  • 11-16-2008 7:27 PM In reply to

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

Alex:

If the BeoSound 5 is a BeoGram for MP3s, then the BeoSound 9000 is a BeoGram for CDs.

The BeoSound 5 handles radio, and high quality storage medium playback, just like a BeoSound 9000. It can't be compared to the BeoCenter 2, as this is an audio & video source.

Alex, I am really glad that you like the BS5. But I have to point out to you that in the specs there are video formats clearly mentioned. In other words the BS5 somehow is video source. I have trouble as many here saying what the BS5 wants to be - but it is clearly NOT high-end audio. 

• 11-16-2008 11:20 PM In reply to

mor:
     - but it is clearly NOT high-end audio. 
    Please explain the foundation of your assumption?
    10%
Page 2 of 3 (56 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >