in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-17-2008 10:37 AM by mor. 55 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (56 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-12-2008 7:23 AM

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

Embedded Windows XP in Beosound 5????

For me that's good-bye to B&O products!

The Beocenter 2 is probably the last AV product I have bought from them, sorry ... for me they're going down the wrong road. 

• 11-12-2008 7:29 AM In reply to

Re: Embedded Windows XP in Beosound 5????

What's the matter... you will not even see that it is windows if it wasn't written in the specs... and I am an Apple Nut, Microsoft hater. p.
  • 11-12-2008 7:30 AM In reply to

I don't see the problem...

Embedded XP has matured to a secure and solid OS... Don't see what's wrong with it...

(please don't get me started on OS-X or Linux)

The main task of the OS will be to serve music and pictures.. so Embedded XP is more than capable to do just that. 

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 11-12-2008 7:30 AM In reply to

• amunk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-19-2007
    • Posts 14
    • Bronze Member

If this is true its absolutely great! This means very good opportunities to "hack" the unit and make it even better.

Think about the AppleTV. This is actually what makes this a nice unit.

• 11-12-2008 7:44 AM In reply to

• Weebyx
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-30-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

amunk:

If this is true its absolutely great! This means very good opportunities to "hack" the unit and make it even better.

Think about the AppleTV. This is actually what makes this a nice unit.

I had the same thought excactly :)

/Weebyx

• 11-12-2008 7:53 AM In reply to

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

I buy most music online in the iTunes Store ... so now I will either have two computers sitting at home for music or I will have to convert the entire library to move it to an additional XP system.

This system to me is a gimmick, probably one that will regularly break down due to an underlying OS that B&O has no control about. I simply do not want gadgets at home with embedded OSs that the vendor can only license and is stuck with (as will the consumers in the end).

And sorry - but B&O is most successful with 40+ aged target group that cannot or want not operate their music through a PC. I think with horror should my parents at 60 be talked into this product by their local dealer (which he will surely try :-) ) and I will be called continuously to help. If this product is to be marketed to a younger crowd, well, OK ... but wait a second at € 5000 ?????

Mind you - how much is a state-of-the-art iMac with iTunes? No, that surey cannot be compared since it features a slot-in DVD player and a bigger screen and free remote and a full keyboard for the internet and BlueTooth and WiFi ... and ... and ...

OK - I cannot hide my disappointment here: where's the analogue + digital + wireless Masterlink in a box that'll play at least DVD + BlueRay, I had hoped for? (and where's the unique selling proposition either) What about this crippled PC took them 10 years to develop?

• 11-12-2008 8:01 AM In reply to

XP or not, no other brand will play your iTunes music because Apple does not license the DRM...

For all the music you have in iTunes that you have ripped yourself or that is iTunes+ (wihtout DRM), then the Beosound can play it just fine.

• 11-12-2008 8:21 AM In reply to

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

PhilLondon:
    XP or not, no other brand will play your iTunes music because Apple does not license the DRM...

For all the music you have in iTunes that you have ripped yourself or that is iTunes+ (wihtout DRM), then the Beosound can play it just fine.

I am not questioning that at all ... but what does this system want to be? Music system or computer? if music system then why can I not play any CDs, DVDs etc; why is there aparently no (digital or analogue terrestrial) radio? if computer then features and pricing are well off...

But maybe I am truely the only one that cannot find any good about the Beosound 5 

• 11-12-2008 8:24 AM In reply to

I was just answering your point regarding the XP "problem". I would also like that the beast can play CD, DVD and FM Radio.
  • 11-12-2008 8:27 AM In reply to

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

PhilLondon:
    I was just answering your point regarding the XP "problem". I would also like that the beast can play CD, DVD and FM Radio.

I see your point that you rightfully made - but the existing Beocenter, Beoport, BM-Link integration for me appears more advanced (or should I say better suited) than the Beosound 5's solution.

• 11-12-2008 8:27 AM In reply to

• amunk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-19-2007
    • Posts 14
    • Bronze Member

Just because its based on XP-embedded does not mean that it should be compared with a traditional PC.

Compare it to a PC when it comes to extensibility. Other than that its just another piece of electronic equipment.

With respect to stability: XP-embedded is a very stable platform - and unstability in a traditional XP pc usually comes from installed third party software. This will not be the case with Beosound5.

• 11-12-2008 8:28 AM In reply to

my dad is 71 , he has always hated computers and thought they were pointless and over complicated

a year ago i gave him my imac dual core , now you can't get him off the thing

he's got itunes full of jack jones , frank sinatra and all sorts of golden oldies stuff , he surfs the web all day , loves google earth and even plays games on it rather than a ps2 and a wii that we bought him for xmas 

it's not so much the computer as the os

apple keep things simple because ilifes complicated enough  

popgear is grate™

• 11-12-2008 8:52 AM In reply to

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

It only has computer features (digital music, cover art, net radio) ... why not compare it to a PC (or a Mac for that)? I cannot see any feature from the audio industry that would make it a true audio product but the powerlink and masterlink sockets ... 

Just so I understand it fully: I have to load CDs into the computer to play them? I have no FM, no DAB, no XM radio? I have no more SD card slot, no DVD playback? What do I get for those magic € 5000 but a crippled PC with fancy interface? (which by the look of it does not even give me direct access buttons anymore?)

• 11-12-2008 9:00 AM In reply to

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

Flappo The Grate:

my dad is 71 , he has always hated computers and thought they were pointless and over complicated

a year ago i gave him my imac dual core , now you can't get him off the thing

he's got itunes full of jack jones , frank sinatra and all sorts of golden oldies stuff , he surfs the web all day , loves google earth and even plays games on it rather than a ps2 and a wii that we bought him for xmas 

it's not so much the computer as the os

apple keep things simple because ilifes complicated enough  

My mom is 66 and let's be honest: She can just about cope with her iBook: surf the web, playback some music (mostly CDs) and write emails ... that's it. Just like with you it's the OS X that enables her ... (my dad at 70 doesn't even touch the computer but asks my mom to) ...  In all houses my parents have the same Overtures, the same Beo 4, Beovisions etc ... They would not mind the price of the Beosound 5 - but they would be lost with it, I would bet any money!

• 11-12-2008 10:06 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

XP embedded is everywhere - your life (and certainly your money) may even depend upon it. Some medical systems, widespread use in Industrial automation, POS, ATM's, among others, all use XP embedded.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 11-12-2008 11:05 AM In reply to

mor:

I buy most music online in the iTunes Store ... so now I will either have two computers sitting at home for music or I will have to convert the entire library to move it to an additional XP system.

This system to me is a gimmick, probably one that will regularly break down due to an underlying OS that B&O has no control about. I simply do not want gadgets at home with embedded OSs that the vendor can only license and is stuck with (as will the consumers in the end).

And sorry - but B&O is most successful with 40+ aged target group that cannot or want not operate their music through a PC. I think with horror should my parents at 60 be talked into this product by their local dealer (which he will surely try :-) ) and I will be called continuously to help. If this product is to be marketed to a younger crowd, well, OK ... but wait a second at € 5000 ?????

Mind you - how much is a state-of-the-art iMac with iTunes? No, that surey cannot be compared since it features a slot-in DVD player and a bigger screen and free remote and a full keyboard for the internet and BlueTooth and WiFi ... and ... and ...

OK - I cannot hide my disappointment here: where's the analogue + digital + wireless Masterlink in a box that'll play at least DVD + BlueRay, I had hoped for? (and where's the unique selling proposition either) What about this crippled PC took them 10 years to develop?

If you buy most of your music on iTunes, Beosound 5 is not for you.  Beosound 5 is for playing DRM free music which is music mostly ripped from CDs

Having 2 different places to store your music files is a good thing.  Hard disks do fail.

The target group for Beosound 5 is age 30 through 50 who are comfortable ripping music on their PC.  The reason I know this is I was invited to a Beosound 5 focus group and that was listed in the requirements. However I was not able to attend the focus group.

I have the less than perfect Beomedia 1 which has an imbedded version of Windows XP and have never had a security or software problem.  Imbedded software is stored on a chip and is difficult to hack.

On the age of users, it is true that generally the younger a person is, it is more likely a PC will be easier for them to use.  PCs have become common in the home and at school.  However it it interesting to note that 50 percent of Apple's most devoted users are over age 50.  These people will buy anything Apple and are the most passionate about Apple.  Age might be a factor in the Window's world but not with Apple.

I agree that € 5000 is a lot to pay for Beosound 5.  I was enthusiastic at first but I am starting to have doubts.  Maybe when I see a demo, I will have a different opinion.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 11-12-2008 11:16 AM In reply to

There are talks that SONY will abandon DRM on iTunes very soon. So that is already 2 majors that do not have DRM on iTunes. Give it a year and most music will be without DRM.
  • 11-12-2008 11:23 AM In reply to

PhilLondon:
    There are talks that SONY will abandon DRM on iTunes very soon. So that is already 2 majors that do not have DRM on iTunes. Give it a year and most music will be without DRM.

I agree.  I hope the files will be 320 kps which to me sounds almost the same as lossless. 

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 11-12-2008 4:09 PM In reply to

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

linder:
     ...Having 2 different places to store your music files is a good thing.  Hard disks do fail... 

I am at ease about that because I use automated back-up with time-machine :-) 

linder:
     The target group for Beosound 5 is age 30 through 50 who are comfortable ripping music on their PC.  The reason I know this is I was invited to a Beosound 5 focus group and that was listed in the requirements. However I was not able to attend the focus group.  

That's interesting and confirms my assumption.... but am I just naive in thinking that € 5000 could result in quite a sticker shock for that age group (especially in the lower range) 

linder:
     On the age of users, it is true that generally the younger a person is, it is more likely a PC will be easier for them to use.  PCs have become common in the home and at school.  However it it interesting to note that 50 percent of Apple's most devoted users are over age 50.  These people will buy anything Apple and are the most passionate about Apple.  Age might be a factor in the Window's world but not with Apple. 

Where are you taking that number from - would be interested to learn... 

• 11-12-2008 4:12 PM In reply to

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

Puncher:

XP embedded is everywhere - your life (and certainly your money) may even depend upon it. Some medical systems, widespread use in Industrial automation, POS, ATM's, among others, all use XP embedded.

While you may be right here, please do not confuse B2B with B2C products here ... if give an option, I would never go for a product that relies on XP embedded --- but don't kill me here: I am strictly speaking for myself! 

• 11-12-2008 4:19 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

mor:
    Puncher:

While you may be right here, please do not confuse B2B with B2C products here ... if give an option, I would never go for a product that relies on XP embedded --- but don't kill me here: I am strictly speaking for myself! 

Completely your choice and I would never argue otherwise............... what I would say is if all detractors (and we have a good few) managed to avoid XP altogether, in all its incarnations, they may well find themselves living in a caveBig Smile

• 11-12-2008 4:32 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

I might be out of my depth here, but isn't Beoport Windows based? That seems to work fine.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 11-12-2008 4:34 PM In reply to

Hopefully the BS5 will not give us the blue screen of death... I often see ATM and Airport displays that need a reboot!
  • 11-12-2008 5:38 PM In reply to

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

Does anyone know why B&O did not make use of a touch screen??
  • 11-12-2008 6:18 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

PhilLondon:
    Hopefully the BS5 will not give us the blue screen of death... I often see ATM and Airport displays that need a reboot!

................. and compare that to those that you have seen/used that didn't.

Page 1 of 3 (56 items) 1 2 3 Next >