in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-11-2008 9:09 AM by Dillen. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-09-2008 5:49 PM

Beomaster 8000 pushbuttons puzzle

My beloved Beomaster 8000 now works like a dream, thanks to Dillen's excellent capacitor set and expert help with the displays. 

Unfortunately, to my surprise yesterday the pushbuttons on the main control panel stopped working. There is no response at all, which made me think of a loose connector from the panel to the microprocessor board. Checked and double-checked the two connectors, but to no avails.

Other symptoms are: the pushbuttons under the aluminum cover don't respond anymore either (such as filters, and monitor). However, the volume and frequency control dials on the main panel work fine, as do the on-off switches under the aluminum cover (such as mono/stereo and loudness on/off). The remote control also still works fine, and the unit is a joy to listen to through the MS-150's.

Would anyone have a guess as to what could be the cause of this strange behaviour, or where to look for a way to fix it? 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!  

September 2009 1st prize winner.... 

• 10-10-2008 2:23 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Beomaster 8000 pushbuttons puzzle

Check the solders at the ribbon cable plugs to the processor board.

The pins and plugs themselves can also fail.

Martin

• 10-10-2008 3:12 AM In reply to

Thanks Martin, will give it a try over the weekend!

• 10-11-2008 6:42 AM In reply to

Martin,

Your advice was absolutely spot on, as always! Everything works fine again after re-soldering all edge connectors, all pushbuttons respond as they should.

Curiously I noticed that one of the several tiny capacitors soldered onto pins at the left hand side connector of the processor board had crumbled, only half of it still in place, the other half disappeared completely. From what little remained it appeared to be the same type as others that have '1n0' printed on them.

Should I worry about this, or are they not essential, as the BM8000 seems to work fine without it?

Thanks again for your expert help!   Smile

Eric 

• 10-11-2008 9:09 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

If the BM workd fine, I wouldn't worry too much about that cap.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)