in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-16-2008 11:04 AM by Mr10Percent. 52 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-13-2008 8:46 PM In reply to

Re: Beosound / Beosystem 5

http://12.163.148.239/magazine/content/07_45/b4057057.htm

here is one, there was another,

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/movers_and_shakers/article3136566.ece

I might be mistaken with the sonos reference but I thought I read it somewhere.

JK 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 09-14-2008 8:47 AM In reply to

jk1002:

We haven't heard a thing about a 2 way remote

Just before the launch of Beo5, there was talk of two remotes and since all talk has ceased. 

Maybe... a new remote will be launched alongside BS5? 

• 09-14-2008 8:57 AM In reply to

I thought that was supposed to be a replacement for the Beo4, a simpler version. One that doesn't have to be programmed.

If BS5 comes without 2 way I don't think they have to bother. Based on the description the display seems to be the kicker, if the add a 2 way remote how often do you think you would actually select something using it versus the 2way?

Only thing, the podest alone needs to be good looking, this is where they could shine. That would also explain why the base is super heavy.

Cheers

JK 

• 09-14-2008 9:03 AM In reply to

So now we have bits and pieces floating around in a variety of threads here.  Any chance someone who has been keeping a very close eye on all BS5/BM5 related info can summarize what we know (or at least believe) about them and possibly include relevant links and any pics?  That would be a huge help to folks trying to figure out what to expect form the new product.  Thanks!

Jeff 

• 09-14-2008 9:09 AM In reply to

True, but you would have expected a simpler remote to be on the market now.. and no one knows anything?

Strange...

• 09-14-2008 2:40 PM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

ok hello

mr andrewson has said they beomedia 1 is compatible and others say its not does anyone know for sure???

Beovision 7 MKIV (Blu Ray)
    Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 09-14-2008 11:59 PM In reply to

rgbyhkr:

So now we have bits and pieces floating around in a variety of threads here.  Any chance someone who has been keeping a very close eye on all BS5/BM5 related info can summarize what we know (or at least believe) about them and possibly include relevant links and any pics? 

A few of us have suggested that a Beoworld Wiki is created to complement the Forum. That would really help in situations like these.

• 09-15-2008 3:36 AM In reply to

wtlc2zpx:
    rgbyhkr:

So now we have bits and pieces floating around in a variety of threads here.  Any chance someone who has been keeping a very close eye on all BS5/BM5 related info can summarize what we know (or at least believe) about them and possibly include relevant links and any pics? 

A few of us have suggested that a Beoworld Wiki is created to complement the Forum. That would really help in situations like these.

Let me summarise what we know about the new audio system............... NOTHING

So why would you want to glorify all this totally useless information in a Wiki?

The truth is that nobody knows for sure and if anybody does they are not saying.

So why all the endless will it do this and will it do the other type questions. My advice is to wait until launch and you might know some of what it can do. Yes.............only some because for sure the software man is still developing the software.............

Well he would be if he wasn't still trouble shooting the BV7-40 and trying to shoehorn the Blu-ray code in!!!!

Regards Graham

• 09-15-2008 4:39 AM In reply to

joeyboygolf:
    Let me summarise what we know about the new audio system............... NOTHING
    No. We do know something:-
    We know the shape and form. We know it is a two part system - a head unit called Beosound 5 and a central processor called Beomaster 5.
    We know the head unit (as I depicted) will be a free-standing eccentric cantiliever design suspending a 10.4inch LCD screen with a unique control wheel and heavy-based stand enabling a visual appearance of gravity-defying suspension. I know this because I have seen the photographs.
    The player operating system will support a feature known as "MOTS" (More of the same - an intuative search engine which suggests similar music accoring to prescribed user filtering).
    Those are facts and they will be presented in the next BeoMag.
    The operating system, codecs, connections and compatabilities are still speculative. At the end of the day, it will not be a mimic of Apple, it will be something that B&O want to sell whether that suits us all or not.
    10%
  • 09-15-2008 4:53 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Even dealers do not seem to know how this system will work, exactly. I asked about the codecs and audio formats supported, but the two dealers I asked said 'they didn't tell us that!'.

A lot of people would say there's little point spending nearly £12K on BL5 speakers and then downloading compressed audio from the iTunes music store to play through your expensive speakers. Therefore I want to know how it stores music and how does it obtain this audio. I'm guessing that it links to your computer, wirelessly, then enables you to drag and drop audio files to the Beomaster.

However, does this mean that they've licensed the Apple AAC, which would enable them to play iTunes based music? If it works with iTunes, then something must have been licensed as there are no other legal apps that enable you to move iTunes audio to another 'computer' and, effectively, this Beosound/master is another computer.

• 09-15-2008 5:08 AM In reply to

moxxey:

However, does this mean that they've licensed the Apple AAC, which would enable them to play iTunes based music? If it works with iTunes, then something must have been licensed as there are no other legal apps that enable you to move iTunes audio to another 'computer' and, effectively, this Beosound/master is another computer.

Just a precision, AAC is not Apple and is an open standard. I think it was developed by Dolby.

Apple adds DRM called Fairplay. All the songs sold on the iTunes music store as iTunesPlus are without DRM and can be transfered on many devices that support AAC.

Also, all the CDs you convert in AAC in itunes are without DRM and can be transfered to any device that support AAC, which as I said earlier is an open standard. 

It was said on the forum that B&O has developed something that makes the Beosound sound excellent with compressed music. I have know idea what it is. 

p. 

• 09-15-2008 5:36 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

You post gives no answers to anything. It just takes some of the things I said and re-words them in a different way :)

Yes, I realise that AAC is an open standard....but as you say Apple have their own version which stops iTunes-sourced audio being played on non-iTunes compatible technology. We know - we've also used iTunes - that if you take audio from a CD you don't get a DRM version of your tracks, as you own this audio CD.

However, what I'm asking was this - if this Beosound is supposed to be iTunes 'compatible', then do they just mean audio tracks you've sourced from your own audio CDs. You see, the point is this - if iTunes is now the number one source for downloading music, and the Beosound doesn't support Apple's Fairplay, then they are attempting to compete with Apple, encouraging yet-another-format, for storing compressed audio.

If B&O want this to succeed, it will also need to support the audio that the average home user is now downloading from sources such as the iTunes Music Store. Effectively this Beosound 5 is saying 'you can import your own CDs and store in a compressed audio format of our choice, but it won't play audio formats encoded with a DRM from other providers'. Which means it alienates a number of existing and potential new users by rejecting their already-downloaded audio from various online sources.

• 09-15-2008 5:53 AM In reply to

moxxey:

You post gives no answers to anything. It just takes some of the things I said and re-words them in a different way :) 

Yes, I wasn't trying to contradict you, nor bringing a full answer. In fact I do agree you, and I am waiting to see how they have solved they problem. I just wanted to bring a little precision, as the first line says. 

Philippe

• 09-15-2008 8:09 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Actually Moxxey, Phillippe did have one reminder which you blew right past.  It is now possible to purchase non-DRM protected music from the iTunes store.  These are referred to as iTunes +.  Admittedly this is not the majority of songs available, but it is growing...and those songs/albums are encoded at a higher bit-rate than normal as well.  Ought to be no trouble for B&O to play those songs.

Additionally, one can purchase high(er)-quality, non-DRM music from Amazon.com, for instance, and move those songs into the iTunes library as well.  Other, high quality, non-drm sources are beginning to appear.  Since we're talking about a new 'high-end' piece, I would say that support for the Fairplay, 128kbps files is the least of our worries.

Russ 

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 09-15-2008 8:36 AM In reply to

moxxey:

However, what I'm asking was this - if this Beosound is supposed to be iTunes 'compatible', then do they just mean audio tracks you've sourced from your own audio CDs. You see, the point is this - if iTunes is now the number one source for downloading music, and the Beosound doesn't support Apple's Fairplay, then they are attempting to compete with Apple, encouraging yet-another-format, for storing compressed audio.

In fairness to B&O, this isn't something that they can do much about.  AFAIK, even though there have been requests by users of dozens of different music servers and streamers, Apple has not licensed their FairPlay DRM to any other company.  They seemingly want to keep it in-house only for any number of reasons that we could speculate about.  No company is big enough to force Apple's hand on this, so it's no fault of B&O's if they can't work out a deal to do the same.

It's not a competition as I doubt that B&O will use any kind of DRM to import music.   They will likely support playback of a number of formats but, like every other company, they won't be able to playback FairPlay DRM AAC tracks.  This is one of those unfortunate truths about the current state of the industry that puts consumers in a bad spot.  The trend is definitely towards selling non-DRM tracks online (see Napster, Rhapsody, Amazon, etc) with ITMS as a major holdout.  Personally, while I will browse and previe tracks on ITMS regularly, I rarely buy from it.  Rather, I head over to Amazon, Rhapsody, etc to get the same songs in a higher bitrate and non-DRM format.  B&O can't fix that problem for me and I don't expect them to be able to.

iTunes compatibility to me means that the system will be able to playback tracks in my existing iTunes library (save for any FairPlay tracks - although what few I do have I have converted to standard MP3s anyway after purchasing), access my playlists in iTunes, etc.  This makes things easier to get going right away.  You don't then have to re-rip content or even recreate your favorite playlists.  You are ready to go shortly after setup.

Jeff 

• 09-15-2008 8:43 AM In reply to

I also remember that B&O announced about a year ago that they purchased a license for a technology that allowed many digital sources to work together... and the patent included iTunes.

Again, several existing devices say they are supporting iTunes... but only for DRM free songs...

Apple has already license the DRM technology to one company: Motorola.

Some other devices can access the DRM protected songs from a docked iPod (which does the decoding). They can display the cover art and song info on an external screen.

p. 

• 09-15-2008 9:04 AM In reply to

wtlc2zpx:

Apple has already license the DRM technology to one company: Motorola.

I had forgotten about that.  However, I am not aware of any other company.  It's also important to note that this preceded the iPhone.  So, there was a very clear motive in that case and I have read in post iPhone launch interviews where Jobs talked about how they learned from the experience.  With AirTunes and AppleTV, they have their own hardware solution, so their desire to fill that gap via licensing deals is absent.  I highly doubt that we'll see Apple license the DRM to anyone else.  If it hasn't happened by now, it likely won't - we're far more likely to see them go completely DRM free first.

wtlc2zpx:
    Some other devices can access the DRM protected songs from a docked iPod (which does the decoding). They can display the cover art and song info on an external screen.

p. 

Personally, I don't have much use for this kind of solution but obviously many people do as a ton of companies do offer a docking solution like this.  It's usually not as flexible as what you would get from accessing iTunes directly, but it is a solution to the DRM problem.  Also, other than Wadia's iTransport, most other docks out there let the iPod to the D/A which is personally an undesirable route to take.  Some docks do use the iPod in a USB storage mode to give full access to the files and do the D/A externally, but then you have the same problem with DRM tracks.  

Jeff 

• 09-15-2008 4:22 PM In reply to

• petz
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-30-2007
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

Hi,

I got following info from dealer in Luxembourg. Will be in show in November, but will only be delivered starting March 2009.

Beomaster has 500 GB and two connections; 220v and to internet router for updates directly from B&O daily at midnight.

Beosound 5 has 3 connections to master unit; DVI, USB & Powerlink. He showed me picture of connections directly on retailers site with B&O, but no picture.

It offers internet radio and movie distribution if not protected.

He draw a picture showing a bigger wheel than the one you posted. And he said that he saw it on an alu stand. So it seems that you can fix it on the wall or have it on a stand. Will try to scan it & post it tomorrow eve.

Indicated a cost of around EUR 5.000.

Will visit dealer again as I am building a house and wiring is finished. Did the plan of the wiring with dealer but before BS5 details were out. Need to make sure I have the right wires at the right place as I was waiting for it. Cannot afford to change in couple of weeks again. So he's trying his  best to get info from B&O.

• 09-15-2008 9:44 PM In reply to

So let me ask the 1000000$ question. Would anyone buy it without a 2 way remote available at initial release? And I don't man Beo5. i mean Sonos like.

I wouldn't. I would start looking for a nice CD rack and stick to my BC2 and BS9000.

Cheers

JK 

P.s. I think the only thing that would make me happy is if I could take the panel of the podest. If that is how it works, and congrats to B&O for keeping that a secret, i would pony down to the store with credit card in my hand (cash is old fashioned).

• 09-16-2008 12:08 AM In reply to

From the photos I have seen, I have not seen the tablet seperate from the angular stand.
    That said, the design is very "industrial" and very un-B&O. The control wheel extends down to the stand exposing effectively 3 aluminum "rings".
    The first (on top of the tablet) is the control wheel.
    The second is a space (on the other side of this is the table sandwiched between)
    The third ring has a bar in the middle ?? Maybe a control bar or a latch keeping the screen on the stand/dock?
    The third ring is also knurled (for what reason?).
    Below that, the stand is in standard B&O black lacquered plastic.
    All in the photo is exposed on the final product.
    Probably more useless info but there you have it.

• 09-16-2008 3:45 AM In reply to

Interesting thread.

A point about Apple and rights to music.

Steve Jobs has repeatedly called for music companies to make their music DRM-free. He's managed to get EMI on board, and other record companies are realizing that worked out well for EMI. However, because Apple is getting so powerful (the world's largest music seller now) companies are also aligning themselves with other ways of reaching the market, where they want to keep DRM on board.

Apple probably deserves to get knocked for a lot, but not for imposing DRM - they don't want any. Fairplay is there as a guarantee to the c companies that provide music to Apple. The moment these companies realize that DRM-free is the solution, Fairplay is gone. Here are Job's Thoughts on Music:

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughtsonmusic/

• 09-16-2008 4:15 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

Stars:

Tungsten is also used in the base of the Beo5 remote control. It is a very dense and therefore heavy metal. 

Nice to know: Tungsten is Swedish and means heavy rock (tung sten).

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 09-16-2008 4:37 AM In reply to

• Beofan2
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-31-2007
    • Fredericia, Denmark
    • Posts 313
    • Bronze Member

Yes! I will buy it and can´t wait to order one.

It´s not magic - it´s Bang & Olufsen

• 09-16-2008 4:38 AM In reply to

• Beofan2
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-31-2007
    • Fredericia, Denmark
    • Posts 313
    • Bronze Member

Or danish Daniel :-)

It´s not magic - it´s Bang & Olufsen

• 09-16-2008 7:00 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

soundproof:

Interesting thread.

A point about Apple and rights to music.

Steve Jobs has repeatedly called for music companies to make their music DRM-free. He's managed to get EMI on board, and other record companies are realizing that worked out well for EMI. However, because Apple is getting so powerful (the world's largest music seller now) companies are also aligning themselves with other ways of reaching the market, where they want to keep DRM on board.

Apple probably deserves to get knocked for a lot, but not for imposing DRM - they don't want any. Fairplay is there as a guarantee to the c companies that provide music to Apple. The moment these companies realize that DRM-free is the solution, Fairplay is gone. Here are Job's Thoughts on Music:

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughtsonmusic/

LINK

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

Page 2 of 3 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >