in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-29-2008 6:55 AM by Weebyx. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-04-2008 3:44 PM

• tIRED
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-27-2008
    • Posts 32
    • Bronze Member

Problems with BV4-50/Beosystem 3 setup. No picture.

Dear BO-expert community!

We've done some rearrangements with furniture in one of our rooms where we have a BV4-50/BS3 setup. Everything has worked fine till now. However, during the work the system (both display and BS3) was unplugged for a while. This typically renders a situation where you are asked to type in the PIN (which I have done a couple of times in the past, which has worked fine). This time, however, I get a strange result.

Once the system was put back together I get no picture in the display. The display starts up OK (through RS232, you can see it "light up") but now picture appears. I took a closer look and found that the small led by the AC-input on the BS3 lights up green when powered on but after about 5 secs. it switches to orange (and stays that way). The system seems to power up "somewhat" OK as sound (from TV) comes on and sounds right. If I switch channel on the remote the sound "switches channel" (so to speak). I also noticed that the green led/light on the IR-eye is turned off after about 5 secs. from system beeing turned on (just as the green led on the BS3-unit turns orange).

I've tried to disconnect all units connected to the BS3. I've tried to power cycle the units (independely as well as all together, and by really "pulling the cord", as well). I've checked the BS3 Service Manual (as it is the only manual speking of these lets at all) and the only thing in there about "going orange" at all is (on page 16):

"Fault symptom eye” - No picture & LED on back of BeoSystem 3 blinks green & orange" -> "Green light in link eye" -> "Connect Service Tool and make a flash update"

This doesn't really match as the orange light isn't flashing and the "Green light in the like eye" isn't true (in my case). HOWEVER. If I press P-MUTE (which I at one point thought was accidently pushed and causing the problem) the green light on the link eye comes on (and stays on). If I switch off/on the system after that it will go dark again (till P-MUTE is pressed again).

This doesn't really match as the orange light isn't flashing and the "Green light in the like eye" isn't true (in my case). HOWEVER. If I press P-MUTE (which I at one point thought was accidently pushed and causing the problem) the green light on the link eye comes on (and stays on). If I switch off/on the system after that it will go dark again (till P-MUTE is pressed again).

Advice greatly appreciated!

/tIRED (of my corrupt $100.000 setup)
    Filed under:
  • 09-05-2008 1:45 PM In reply to

• Gerd
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 523
    • Bronze Member

Re: Problems with BV4-50/Beosystem 3 setup. No picture.

Stupid questions maybe, but:

1. Did you connect the DVI-cable to socket "Display 1" on the BeoSystem 3?
    2. Are the pins on the DVI-cable connectors OK?

When the above are checked try the following:

1. Switch on by pressing TV
    2. Press MENU - 3 - 1 - 7 - 2 - 1 - EXIT
    3. Switch off and on

Picture OK now?

• 09-05-2008 2:32 PM In reply to

• tIRED
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-27-2008
    • Posts 32
    • Bronze Member

Gerd!

Thanks for your answer. The DVI is in the Display 1-socket (as always for the primary display) so no error there.. The pins in the cable are all OK (even tried to switch to another cable but no difference)... I typically use a DVI-fiberlink but did the check-test with a conventional DVI-D-cable..

About the reset-routine you describe (from the service manual), I did try that as well but no change.. Sorry..

Could someone tell me how a BS3 is supposed to react once started. Is the led by the AC-input supposed to go geen for about 5 secs. and then turn orange?

• 09-06-2008 4:18 AM In reply to

• Gerd
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 523
    • Bronze Member

tIRED:

Could someone tell me how a BS3 is supposed to react once started. Is the led by the AC-input supposed to go geen for about 5 secs. and then turn orange?

Not 100% sure but I think this is the normal behaviour.

Try to connect a laptop with DVI-output to your BV4 or another television with DVI-input to your BS3.

What happens then?

• 09-06-2008 11:16 AM In reply to

I can confirm, that the LED on my (working) BS3 behaves the same.

Marcus 

• 09-07-2008 4:12 PM In reply to

• Max
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Devon
    • Posts 64
    • Founder

Checked my BS3 and the LED behaves the same as Marcus' - switches to green on startup for about a second then flashes amber-green-amber-green-amber and stays on amber until switched off. 

My B&O is in my Bio.

• 09-07-2008 4:24 PM In reply to

• tIRED
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-27-2008
    • Posts 32
    • Bronze Member

Thanks alot for the input!

I went to work and borrowed a 24" widescreen TFT-monitor with DVI (to test if the BS3 actually output something) to find out that the problem seems to be with the panel/display (the TFT got picture from the BS3). I did hook up a computer and an STB (both with DVI/HDMI output) directly to the screen and it did not work (no picture there). Strange as the display isn't all dead (it "lights up" when switched on and seems to be working in all other maners.. Will have my dealer come here this week to have a look at it.. Hopefully they wont have to bring the panel to the store/workshop.... :(

• 09-25-2008 12:27 PM In reply to

• Weebyx
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-30-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

tIRED:

Thanks alot for the input!

I went to work and borrowed a 24" widescreen TFT-monitor with DVI (to test if the BS3 actually output something) to find out that the problem seems to be with the panel/display (the TFT got picture from the BS3). I did hook up a computer and an STB (both with DVI/HDMI output) directly to the screen and it did not work (no picture there). Strange as the display isn't all dead (it "lights up" when switched on and seems to be working in all other maners.. Will have my dealer come here this week to have a look at it.. Hopefully they wont have to bring the panel to the store/workshop.... :(

What was the result of your problems?, I am experiencing exactly the same on my BS3/BV4 right now.

/Weebyx

• 09-25-2008 2:45 PM In reply to

• tIRED
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-27-2008
    • Posts 32
    • Bronze Member

Actually this is not solved yet. I was unable to get it working and had to call in BO-service. They arrived to realize they hadn't a clue (they did the same tests as I had already done). They asked to come and collect it (which they did a couple of days later, brought the plasma as well as the BS3) and have had it since.. (2+ weeks now).

They eventually found out that the DVI-D module in the plasma was broken and will replace it asap. They seem to have some trouble finding a replacement module fitting my specific type of the plasma (50" D7) but said it would be worked out eventually.

So, not much of an answer but thats the facts..

As a contrast I can mention that we had some trouble with a 46" Samsung LDC at work. Two days after the error was called in a technician came out and mended it (at site). Took about 4 hours but he did it. That unit cost some €1200 when new. My BV4-50 cost about €16500 (including BL7-2). One was kind of expecting a somewhat more speedy (and competent) service..

Filed under:
  • 09-25-2008 2:56 PM In reply to

• Weebyx
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-30-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

tIRED:

Actually this is not solved yet. I was unable to get it working and had to call in BO-service. They arrived to realize they hadn't a clue (they did the same tests as I had already done). They asked to come and collect it (which they did a couple of days later, brought the plasma as well as the BS3) and have had it since.. (2+ weeks now).

They eventually found out that the DVI-D module in the plasma was broken and will replace it asap. They seem to have some trouble finding a replacement module fitting my specific type of the plasma (50" D7) but said it would be worked out eventually.

As a contrast I can mention that we had some trouble with a 46" Samsung LDC at work. Two days after the error was called in a technician came out and mended it (at site). Took about 4 hours but he did it. That unit cost some €1200 when new. My BV4-50 cost about €16500 (including BL7-2). One was kind of expecting a somewhat more speedy (and competent) service..

Hmmm, i have just talked to my dealer, and the problem with mine(99.9%) is that i am missing the RS232 cable :) I just thought that the IR cable was enough, since it is connected to the BV4, og at least the BV4 would sense signal on the DVI-D cable, but tommorow i am hooking it up with a rs232 cable also, and see what happens.

/Weebyx

• 09-29-2008 6:55 AM In reply to

• Weebyx
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-30-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

Weebyx:
    tIRED:

Hmmm, i have just talked to my dealer, and the problem with mine(99.9%) is that i am missing the RS232 cable :) I just thought that the IR cable was enough, since it is connected to the BV4, og at least the BV4 would sense signal on the DVI-D cable, but tommorow i am hooking it up with a rs232 cable also, and see what happens.

/Weebyx

Solved :) The RS232 cable was what i needed. Just for info, it is wires 2-3 and 5 that needs to be connected(straight) for the tv to turn on

/Weebyx

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)