in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-29-2008 3:40 PM by j0hnbarker. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-28-2008 3:48 PM

Soundsmith SMMCsomething vs. 2nd Hand MMCwhatever

Any thoughts on whether to buy a second hand MMCx from eBay, or go for a SMMCx from Soundsmith?

I was given a Beogram 8002 for free that's now on its way back to me after repair with Tim Jarman. Foolishly I sent the minty MMC2 that came with it in the box, but this ended up as toast thanks to the courier I used >:(

I've only ever owned an MMC4 before, but from the brief time I had the MMC2 fitted up in my Beogram 5005, I know it was really sweet sounding. What I wondered was whether I should look for a used cartridge on eBay (something like an MMC2), or go for a new Soundsmith one (something like an SMMC4 - I can't afford the better spec'd ones!). I know lots of people say the suspension hardens on the older ones, but some people clearly think they're worth it as this is reflected in their resale values.

Anyone? 

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 08-28-2008 3:59 PM In reply to

Re: Soundsmith SMMCsomething vs. 2nd Hand MMCwhatever

The Soundsmith ones are better sounding if not quite as nice looking.
  • 08-28-2008 4:32 PM In reply to

Peter :
    The Soundsmith ones are better sounding if not quite as nice looking.

So, would a new SMMC4 be a better bet than a used MMC3, for example? 

• 08-28-2008 4:34 PM In reply to

In my view yes. My favourite cartridge to listen to is probably my SMMC20EN.
  • 08-28-2008 4:35 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

j0hnbarker:

So, would a new SMMC4 be a better bet than a used MMC3, for example? 

Yes,

I have both and you're more than welcome to drop in for a comparison test John.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 08-28-2008 4:49 PM In reply to

i was unable to find anything on the soundsmith site, but...

i wonder if they offer any warranty? that would be huge!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 08-28-2008 4:50 PM In reply to

Thanks to you both for the advice.

Might just take you up on that offer Chris - I have one more month's salary to be paid in full until I return to student poverty, so would like to treat myself to a cartridge for this deck before I'm skint FOREVER :) 

• 08-28-2008 5:04 PM In reply to

No contest........go with the Sound-smith SMMC4. I have supplied around a dozen now and their quality is far better than the original. Much smoother sound, almost as good as a decent MMC2.

The SMMC4 will cost around £110 once you've paid the duty and carriage.

Regards Graham

• 08-28-2008 6:02 PM In reply to

joeyboygolf:

No contest........go with the Sound-smith SMMC4. I have supplied around a dozen now and their quality is far better than the original. Much smoother sound, almost as good as a decent MMC2.

The SMMC4 will cost around £110 once you've paid the duty and carriage.

Thanks Graham - that's all I wanted to hear. 

• 08-29-2008 8:13 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

burantek:

Mine came with 12 months warranty

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 08-29-2008 9:30 AM In reply to

Medogsfat:

burantek:

Mine came with 12 months warranty

Chris.

As did mine.

Regards Graham

• 08-29-2008 12:53 PM In reply to

I got 2 Beograms and I've mentioned my Beogram 8002 before. It has a Soundsmith MMC2 and it's pretty good. Sound is clear and with good details. I don't think if there is any more warranty as it's been more than 12 months I got it.

My second Beogram 6006 is up and running againg after a long list of service from Dillen. He did my 8002 in november 2007 and both Beograms now functions 100% like new. The 6006 came with a original MMC20EN and it still plays well and sounding good. As I have an original MMC20CL with something like 5-10 hours on it I'm testing my white Beosystem 6000 with that one. The 2 pairs of matching Beovoxes came home saturday after Dillen fixed them for foamrot and crossovers.

Anyway the sound of the 1981 MMC20CL is just as good as the Soundsmith and it's hard to find the deferences. I've been playing alot of music since saturday. I can A-B whatever but if the old MMC is good it's not a bad buy or sounding less equal.

• 08-29-2008 3:13 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

In my experience the MMC20** range of cartridges tend to age better than the later MMC1-5's - Friedmetts comments seem to confirm this. They also don't suffer as badly with losing contact with the coils either.

@John, drop me a line and we'll have a meet & knees up before you bu**er off to SheffieldBeer BTW - you won't be skint FOR EVER - it will just seem like it. It's when kids come along when true poverty hits youStorm

Chris.

• 08-29-2008 3:40 PM In reply to

Ha! Fair enough Chris. I don't like children, so for my bank balance's sake, I hope it stays that way!!

Will drop you a line over the weekend though - would be good to listen to those cartridges, but even better to have a beer or two soon ;) 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)