in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-14-2008 2:59 PM by erimille. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-19-2008 7:30 PM

beomaster 4000 / beovox s45-2 setup

Hello all... long time lurker, first time poster...

The past couple days I've spent cleaning up a new (to me) beomaster 4000 along with a set of beovox s45-2 speakers. mostly cosmetic work (i do a lot of woodworking... the rosewood veneer turned out to be *fantastic* on both these units), with a few minor solder, glue, etc. repairs on the side. overall, i'm very pleased with the results.

I was told the beomaster 4000 had the capacitors replaced, but i'm not sure when. that said, there are several lamps that are not working at the moment that i'd like to replace. Does anyone know if there is a capacitor / lamp kit for the beomaster 4000?  I would have thought something like this might be available, but I can't seem to find anything.

Also, my goals are to use this both for the FM radio (the reception on this is spectacular) along with digital (ala airport express / DAC) via the tape 1 input. Does anyone have / or know where I can buy the appropriate DIN to RCA plug for this unit? 

Finally... i'd appreciate feedback on speakers than might be a better match for the beomaster 4000 than the beovox s45-2's. It's still too early for me to determine if this is a good fit or not, so consider the last question to be more along the line of "what do you use?" than anything else :)

Thanks in advance for all of your help,

--e

• 07-20-2008 4:38 AM In reply to

Re: beomaster 4000 / beovox s45-2 setup

I am sure Martin (Dillen on site) can come up with a kit for you. This is the type of plug you need for the Airport Express.

The speakers you have are some of the most accurate B&O made - very well balanced - I have two pairs and they are difficult to beat. They do lack ultimate bass though. Have a look out for some S75s if this is what you want. In honesty, not as accurate but more low down bass! M100s would be another option though they are very big! 

• 07-20-2008 10:19 AM In reply to

Re: "I am sure Martin (Dillen on site) can come up with a kit for you. "

excellent! i'll look for him and make contact. thanks! ;-)

Re:  "This is the type of plug you need for the Airport Express."

thanks again! it's the DIN pinout in particular i'm looking for. the airport express onboard DAC is fact (err..) terrible. what is quite impressive however is when you use the optical out on the airport express into an external DAC. *huge* improvement in sound quality.

Re: "The speakers you have are some of the most accurate B&O made - very well balanced - I have two pairs and they are difficult to beat. They do lack ultimate bass though. Have a look out for some S75s if this is what you want. In honesty, not as accurate but more low down bass! M100s would be another option though they are very big! "

I'll take accuracy over bass any day ;-)

thanks again!

--e

• 07-20-2008 12:57 PM In reply to

I note that there are some M75s for sale - a bit smaller than M100s and wonderful speaker.
  • 07-20-2008 2:05 PM In reply to

Peter :
    I note that there are some M75s for sale - a bit smaller than M100s and wonderful speaker.

i'm still finding my way around the forums, thanks for the pointers ;-) now.. if only i can find something a bit more local...

fwiw... for those new members (like me) who are wondering about bronze, silver, gold levels of memberships. the silver and above are more than worth it - the access to manuals, etc. is more than worth the price of admission.

--e

• 07-20-2008 2:16 PM In reply to

Have you found the old catalogues yet? - I think they alone are worth the silver membership - took ages to scan! Laughing
  • 07-20-2008 3:54 PM In reply to

I agree with Peter about the S45-2's, they are a real sweet spot in the early '80's range. Personally, I don't find the lack of bass a problem and they are small enough to be relatively 'wife friendly'. I have not heard the better speakers Peter is talking about though.

If you are corresponding with Martin (Dillen) about a kit for the Beomaster ask him to send you a capacitor kit for the crossovers in the S45-2, I did and the results were very worthwhile!

Simon

• 07-20-2008 4:31 PM In reply to

I too agree that S45-2's are truly great sounding speakers.

I'm normally used to Beovox M150 but I'm on holiday at my parents house and the system is a Beocenter 2000 with teak S45.2's bought new in 1979 with out stands. It sounds rather good even though the Beocenter might be changed to a Beomaster 1900,2200, 2400.

They sounds acurate and big for it size. A pleasure to listen too.

At present my white ´80s 6000 system has a pair of S80.2 (Being serviced) and S120 on the way. Both original white!

Looking forward to hear them.

• 07-20-2008 5:05 PM In reply to

S120s are possibly even better though they do suffer from foam rot. Ronny at B&O told me he thought they were the best balanced passive speaker made by B&O.
  • 07-20-2008 6:08 PM In reply to

Yes the S80.2 has a bit of foam rot and the S120 are going to Dillen too before I see them just to be sure. I don't know anything other than they should be nice in owerall condition. The S80.2 are really nice looking.

The reason for not asking the seller is last time a pair of white Beovox 120 speakers were for sale I asked for foam rot and the seller found out yes they had foam rot and threw them out even though I insisted on wanting to buy them.

• 07-25-2008 5:01 PM In reply to

Friedmett:

Well I finally got the necessary 5 DIN to RCA cabling in place to give these a listen. The FM receiver on this amplifier is fantastic, but its tough to really gauge a system from receiver alone ;-)

I wasn't really expecting much as at this point as I'm simply using an airport express (no external DAC) as input.  But I have to admit, sitting down and listening to some of my lossless test tracks I use to test my reference system was far more enjoyable than I would have guessed.

The beomaster 4000 / beovox s45-2 combination is a really enjoyable one. I expect to swap in my reference DAC to see just how accurate this system can be, but even without this in the mix this system has the synergy that makes my ears (and eyes) very happy.

--e

• 07-25-2008 5:08 PM In reply to

Peter :
    Have you found the old catalogues yet? - I think they alone are worth the silver membership - took ages to scan! Laughing

Err... not yet. Where do I find these?! Embarrassed

--e

• 07-25-2008 5:46 PM In reply to

Try here!
  • 07-25-2008 7:29 PM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

Peter :

I may be interested Peter. Who is selling those speakers?

Gustavo

• 07-25-2008 11:07 PM In reply to

erimille:
    Friedmett:

The beomaster 4000 / beovox s45-2 combination is a really enjoyable one. I expect to swap in my reference DAC to see just how accurate this system can be, but even without this in the mix this system has the synergy that makes my ears (and eyes) very happy.

--e

oops, jumping in here late... the s45 is my absolute favorite all-around speaker for the $! 

you can do a search for me and s45 comments if you like, no smoke here! (somewhere, i *believe* i referred to them as the best bang for the buck of all b&o!)

in fact, i run my 3000/4000/4400's thru them and they are just truly a great sound. yes, maybe a bit lacking in bass, but so worth their relative small current value!

enjoy your great system, and welcome to beoworld! 

• B&o bottle opener
  • 07-26-2008 1:59 AM In reply to

beobeo:

Peter :

I may be interested Peter. Who is selling those speakers?

Another member -  unfortunately in the UK for you - he has 4! Look here

• 08-14-2008 2:59 PM In reply to

burantek:

oops, jumping in here late... the s45 is my absolute favorite all-around speaker for the $! 

you can do a search for me and s45 comments if you like, no smoke here! (somewhere, i *believe* i referred to them as the best bang for the buck of all b&o!)

in fact, i run my 3000/4000/4400's thru them and they are just truly a great sound. yes, maybe a bit lacking in bass, but so worth their relative small current value!

enjoy your great system, and welcome to beoworld! 

thanks ... its good to be here ;-)

just to follow up a bit on my investigation... i've recently started using an old audio alchemy ultra dac / airport express combination as my source component to this beomaster 4000. My audio is lossless and with a decent (non-apple) DAC, the s45's in this set-up sound far better than I expected. They don't have the full range my Near 50me II's do in my office set-up, but these s45's produce a far richer sound than I would have originally thought possible. While I don't have a lot of b&o product experience, I certainly can support the high "bang for buck" nod from Jeff ;-)

thanks again to all for your input and help; my ears are very happy.

-e

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)