in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-15-2008 7:16 PM by R Patton. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-13-2008 6:22 AM

Beo Vision 4 or Beo Vision 7

Hi,

Just curious to know from any owners of BV 4 what propmpted them to go for this TV rather than a BV 7 ?

• 07-13-2008 7:05 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beo Vision 4 or Beo Vision 7

akeithj:

Hi,

Just curious to know from any owners of BV 4 what propmpted them to go for this TV rather than a BV 7 ?

Well size for one thing- 50" as opposed to 40 is a big difference when it come to the movie experience.

Colour rendition

Exceptional performance with SD

Skin tones and movement all way ahead of LCD as is depth of image

• 07-13-2008 7:48 AM In reply to

355f - Thank you for the reply. I had a demonstration yesterday and thought both TV's were excellent, aside from the screen size I was wondering whether the price premium of the BV4 over the BV7 was justified.

I was told that tha latest version of the BV 7 has the same BS 3 as the BV 4...decisions decisions.

• 07-13-2008 7:49 AM In reply to

I agree - you need to go and compare LCD and plasma sets yourself and see which you prefer. Like 355f, I would have plasma any day.
  • 07-13-2008 7:51 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

akeithj:

355f - Thank you for the reply. I had a demonstration yesterday and thought both TV's were excellent, aside from the screen size I was wondering whether the price premium of the BV4 over the BV7 was justified.

I was told that tha latest version of the BV 7 has the same BS 3 as the BV 4...decisions decisions.

Difficult to say if the price premium is worth it.

If you intend to watch a lot of standard non HD tv I would be inclined to have a home test for a few days- the BV7 doesnt handle it that well.

if however you cant tell the difference then go for the cheaper option!!

• 07-13-2008 10:02 AM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

If your living room or wherever you intend to put the TV set has got strong front light, got for the BV7 as LCD handles this better than plasma. I've seen it with my dealer, their BV9 doesn't perform as well as the LCD in the same front-light conditions.

Gustavo

• 07-13-2008 10:58 AM In reply to

Standard definition on our BV7 is beautiful. We are amazed with all sources on it, High Definition, DVD, BluRay, DVD and standard definition.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 07-13-2008 11:00 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

355f, the BV7-40 handles SD perfectly well, apart from SD-based football (soccer). However, I'm talking SD through Freeview or via a Sky box.

I have absolutely NO idea why anyone would want to pay £9000 or over to watch analogue TV on one of these TVs. Makes no sense.

Although a plasma appears to have a rounder image, I think the BV7-40 has a very sharp image, which is superb for HD. I prefer the colour saturation on my BV7-40 than the BV4-50/65. However, that doesn't mean I wouldn't have a BV4-50/65 :)

• 07-13-2008 1:07 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Interestingly, I have found so little to watch on blue ray that I actually want to see and the same for sky HD.

Im interested to know where all this wonderful HD material is. So many BR discs are not very well mastered, has all my associates guessing- is this blue ray or upscled dvd??  im sick of watching a lion eat  a zebra on sky HD so , I, like most im sure watch dvd and SD TV.

I think with the sums of moeny involved I would want both items for a week and make up your own mind, and the outcome will depend upon what you watch.

Both technologies have failings-Plasma is not green, expensive to make, and uses lots of power.

LCD is a poor substitute for what it replaced and when oled becomes reality both systems will be confined to the history books

Of course if one watches football or other fast moving action one has no alternative but totry to find an HD source if you have LCD- otherwise one will find it difficult to follow the match on LCD- with a plasma of course you can watch it without the need!

• 07-14-2008 8:13 AM In reply to

Thank you all for the help and advice. I agree that a home demonstration is required as this will be the only way to know for sure which is the best option for me.
  • 07-14-2008 9:54 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Also, bear in mind the price difference between a BV7-40 and BV4-50. Even wider if you go for the BV4-65. I believe a BS3 + BV4-50 + BL10 combination is around £13000.
  • 07-14-2008 10:05 AM In reply to

It's extremly hard to justify spending £13k on a TV, when there are apparently other independantly tested TV's on the market (Pioneer's latest Kuro for one) which will arguably give you a superior picture for a third of the price. I say arguably as I have been unable to find a current independant  test of either a BV 7 mk111, or the latest BV 4 50.

But I suppose that's B&O, as well as getting a TV set or a or music system you are purchasing a beautifully made piece of modern furniture.

• 07-14-2008 5:55 PM In reply to

• 07-14-2008 8:40 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:

Interesting reviews but over one year behind now.

• 07-15-2008 7:19 AM In reply to

Thank you 355f, very positive reviews.
  • 07-15-2008 8:12 AM In reply to

Yes, the reviews are one year old. What has changed about the BV7 since then? The only changes I am aware of our software which I assume, if anything, improved the TV. 

• 07-15-2008 9:15 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:
    Yes, the reviews are one year old. What has changed about the BV7 since then? The only changes I am aware of our software which I assume, if anything, improved the TV. 

well its a question of what the competition has done in that time, look at new lcd from pioneer due in september, using state of theart sharp panel, 40" is about 2K

• 07-15-2008 9:38 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

355f:

Razlaw:

well its a question of what the competition has done in that time, look at new lcd from pioneer due in september, using state of theart sharp panel, 40" is about 2K

The LCD range differentiates itself from KURO plasma TVs in terms of design with an attractive ‘aluminum look’ finish. Aluminum look!!

Here you see a example why B&o are much more expensive than other brands.. But unfortunately the expensive cabinet docent make the PQ!

Regards

BL8000 MkII Black

• 07-15-2008 10:47 AM In reply to

Our 2 week old BV7 far surpasses the picture quality of any TV I have seen in any store.  I had one person in the house, who did not come to see the tv, and he about jumped out iof his shoes when he saw the picture, could not believe how good it was, compared to his LCD. I am sorry, I do not understand why everybody likes to criticize B and O over their price. We all know they are expensive. We also all know that there are far more expensive speaker manufacturers out there.  So, the new Sharp panel is about 2k,...does that include a processor that is anywhere close to the BS3? Does it include a speaker that can compare to a Beolab 7? Does it include motorized stand? Our dealer also sells other brands. When we purchased the BV7 he also gave us a price for the latest Samsung 120hz along with a BS3 and BL7.  Add in a stand and the price becomes just about the same as a BV7.

Personally, my wife and I prefer the picture quality on the BV7 to the BV4. The color and sharpness of it is amazing. Try the Bee Movie in BluRay, particulary the scene with the Bees flying and the following tennis match.

• 07-15-2008 11:02 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:

Our 2 week old BV7 far surpasses the picture quality of any TV I have seen in any store.  I had one person in the house, who did not come to see the tv, and he about jumped out iof his shoes when he saw the picture, could not believe how good it was, compared to his LCD. I am sorry, I do not understand why everybody likes to criticize B and O over their price. We all know they are expensive. We also all know that there are far more expensive speaker manufacturers out there.  So, the new Sharp panel is about 2k,...does that include a processor that is anywhere close to the BS3? Does it include a speaker that can compare to a Beolab 7? Does it include motorized stand? Our dealer also sells other brands. When we purchased the BV7 he also gave us a price for the latest Samsung 120hz along with a BS3 and BL7.  Add in a stand and the price becomes just about the same as a BV7.

Personally, my wife and I prefer the picture quality on the BV7 to the BV4. The color and sharpness of it is amazing. Try the Bee Movie in BluRay, particulary the scene with the Bees flying and the following tennis match.

Firstly if its your prefernce for LCD over plasma thats your choice of course. You mention the individual that came to your house being amazed compared to what he had- out of interest what brand LCD did he have and what sources was he watching- any digital cartoon on blue ray will look good no matter what the panel.

No one is critisising the price. If one can justift the £8K price for build quality and looks thats fine.I think it looks a great TV set- But its a mistake to beleive that its simply the best out there because of the enourmous price tag. If ones sole crtieria is picture quality you can buy better- in september for 70% less than the rpice B&O is asking. If one is prepared to pay 6K for a smart looking tv that has proper aluminium case rather than alum look- thats fine!

Comparing the quality of the BV7 to anything you have seen- well maybe the shops have not got the latest products in. As for the pioneer LCD panel which I have seen, and will be available in september( or thereabouts) You are correct it does not include a processor like the BS3- the panel used is far superior and it does not need it to be better and it does not need a motorised stand as the field of view is far superior to the samsung panel used in the BV7. The market is moving very quickly and B&O is using panels which are not the latest in technology The BS3 will it support HD audio codecs- No it wont. These are the questions individuals should be asking when spending this kind of money

• 07-15-2008 11:44 AM In reply to

To use an anlogy from the car world, I suppose it's a bit like comparing the new Nissan GT-R and a Ferrari 430. I don't think there is any question that the Nissan is a technological tour deforce and will be quicker around the Nurburgring than the Ferrari, but which car would you rather have.?

I think for some people at least there is more to choosing things whether it be cars or TV's than just sheer performance alone. Performace is a significant factor, but  other things are equally important, looks, style, joy of ownership etc.....if only B&O would reduce their prices we would all be happy.

• 07-15-2008 11:58 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Sad [:(] Re: Beo Vision 4 or Beo Vision 7

I think the BV4 is a stately choice and the latest with the frame looks unbelievable, the BV7 to me looks like an average tv and the price tag scares me when you look at what it can't do compared to tv's a tenth of the price! My opinion anyway...

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 07-15-2008 12:11 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

akeithj:

To use an anlogy from the car world, I suppose it's a bit like comparing the new Nissan GT-R and a Ferrari 430. I don't think there is any question that the Nissan is a technological tour deforce and will be quicker around the Nurburgring than the Ferrari, but which car would you rather have.?

I think for some people at least there is more to choosing things whether it be cars or TV's than just sheer performance alone. Performace is a significant factor, but  other things are equally important, looks, style, joy of ownership etc.....if only B&O would reduce their prices we would all be happy.

Im not sure this is a correct analogy!

Whats more appropriate would you prefer a copy F430 with a toyota engine in it( aka BV7) or something techniclaly superior

• 07-15-2008 2:32 PM In reply to

355f - Does you analogy apply equally to the BV 4, or is it specific to the BV 7 ?
  • 07-15-2008 3:51 PM In reply to

• tIRED
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-27-2008
    • Posts 32
    • Bronze Member

With the risk of repeating a few comments I'd like to say the following.

1. I have both a 4-50 (BS3 BL7.2 4*8000 BL2) and two 7-40 (MKII, BL7.4 4*8000) and both are great sets. The plasma performs somewhat better watching HD-_movie_content. The LCD is abit sharper (which tends to be better when watching traditional TV-content). The 7-40 looks great in several ways of mounting (freestanding, wallmount low floorstand) as the 4-50 _has_ to be mounted on a flat wall... Pretty much.. As the 7-40 had a built in DVD (bhuuu) player it performs well as a "hub" of your link-system.. A shame that BO can't throw in a simple 100USD BlueRay-player in the BV7-40 as of today... Dell "threw one in" when a bought new laptops for the kids at USD399 per laptop..

2. Both do upscaling farily OK (even though the BS3 is supposed to do it better I can hardly tell a difference) but any high-res panel (like these ones) are built to show high-res, as HD-content always is preferred. Get a cable/sat supplier with HD-content or don't get any of the TV-sets... Get a cable box which is in the PUC-list (your dealer will help you out choosing the right model). 

3. Get speakers! Much of the "spoken of" superiour experiece watching movies with these types of sets comes from the sound. No need to argue that once experienced...

4. These TV-sets are nowhere near the best panels you can buy on the market today (or sound processors, for that matter). You get a better and more modern (from a tech-point-fo view) setup for a 5th of the money with Sony or Samsung with a suitable surround decoder and a set of speakers. You simply don't buy these types of setups because they are "a smart buy" and "worth the money". You buy them because they are good looking, integrate well (masterlin, powerlink) and can be handled by your wife (or your kids).

Good luck with your purchase and hope you feel your money is well spent.. :)

/tIRED (of my corrupt $100.000 setup)
    Filed under:
Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >