in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-18-2008 9:29 AM by Jing. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-12-2008 1:51 PM

Apple TV & Avant - that old chestnut!

I know this has been talked to death already but I have just returned from my B&O dealer and was asking about Virgin +box compatability.  When he printed off the list of options for the latest software update Apple TV was on the list.  So now I can operate Apple TV on my Avant with a Beo4, fantastic.  But what is the best way (least cables, power leads, picture quality, etc) of conecting my Avant (RGB, Scart socket) to an Apple TV box (HDMI socket).

I can hardly wait to have this set up.  Please can anyone advise on this.

Many thanks

Peter G 

• 07-12-2008 2:33 PM In reply to

• Thomas
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 85
    • Founder

Re: Apple TV & Avant - that old chestnut!

I have not tried this myself, but i think you need this little gadget.

http://www.svideo.com/appletv2tv.html

Thomas

7-40 Mk3, Beo5/Beo4, Avant32DVD, BS3K, PentaIII, BL4K, BL Active w/BL2500, Avant28CTV,Beoport, AppleTV, 2xBC6K

• 07-12-2008 4:49 PM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

There is a (new) HDMI - Composite/S video converter made by Gefen. Supports also audio.

http://www.gefen.com/gefentv/gtvproduct.jsp?prod_id=5280 

Stefan 

• 07-13-2008 9:06 AM In reply to

I have my Apple TV connected to my Avant through the component input. However, after it has been outputting a signal for awhile, everything takes on a pink hue. I contacted B&O tech support and they advised that this is a common problem with early Avants. There is a kit to fix the problem, but I'm sure the repair would be quite costly.

I've actually considered getting a converter to convert the signal to s-video. This way, the Apple TV can take advantage of the phenomenal video processing of the Avant -- which the component input lacks. I'm interested in hearing about the results from anyone who has tried this. 

• 07-13-2008 9:52 AM In reply to

• haa05
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-15-2008
    • Austria
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

Hi,

I'm using the www.svideo.com converter as well and it works fine for me.

First I have had connected it the S-Video input of my Avant. But ATV is sending a signal all the time and thus after activating one of the sources (TV, Radio) always the S-Video input was activated, forcing me to choose the source again.

Now I'm using the Decoder scart with composite input (via a Scart adatper). No claims regarding the picture quality so far.

Cheers, Arno

• 07-15-2008 2:23 PM In reply to

I have another question, forgive me as I often do miss the simple things!

My Avant currently has a virgin cable box connected, my understanding is that software in the TV can control the STB via the IR cable connected to the TV and stuck in front of the IR sensor of the STB, this is how the STB receives it's commands from the TV/BEO4.

If you connect Apple TV to the Avant, which has been updated so that it has the correct software, how does it send IR commands to the ATV as my Avant only appears to have one output for this.  Or does this operate in a completely different way? 

Peter G 

• 07-18-2008 9:29 AM In reply to

• Jing
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-18-2008
    • Posts 1
    • Silver Member

I have done a similar installation on a BeoVision 5 which is the same chassis as an avant.  You need the new STB chip, which is part number 8344785 - it has the apple remote on it but I am not sure about the virgin box.  Then you need a RBG converter with cables - I used JS technologies :http://www.js-technology.com/product_info.php?products_id=52&osCsid=aca8083767e8731d424edb81d55ca8ad

You must you either the Vtape or AV scart, the decoder one is non RGB.  Set the Apple Tv to 480i or somthing similar.  Then you need the STBC Y splitter, part number 7229212, and another STB IR blaster lead.  Works great!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)