in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-17-2012 2:51 AM by BeoIce. 39 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (40 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-11-2011 7:31 AM In reply to

• frog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 191
    • Founder

Re: Beomedia INside and Out

The tricky part of building a Beomedia 1 is twofold; the B&O PCI board in the box which handles ML, and the fact that the software runs on Windows XP Embedded. The Beomedia app seems to be a Flash app. Now if the drivers from the PCI card could be removed, then that could make a very interesting option!

LifestyleAV have a number of Beomedia 1s available for £250. Quite a bargain!

• 06-11-2011 9:10 AM In reply to

frog:

Thanks - it is helpful, - and does the job!

A bit Confused .The first post was that you were having problems with the gray cable etc?

So you sorted it out? The dots on the picture are the pins on the mainboard.

• 06-11-2011 9:29 AM In reply to

frog:

The tricky part of building a Beomedia 1 is twofold; the B&O PCI board in the box which handles ML, and the fact that the software runs on Windows XP Embedded. The Beomedia app seems to be a Flash app. Now if the drivers from the PCI card could be removed, then that could make a very interesting option!

Spend a lot of time last on this subject, due to my back injury, so..

The ML board acts as a USB PC Link2 module. (Look under Device Manage where the ML board is recognized as PC-Link2). But the board converts also the digital audio to analog with a neaty DAC.

You can replace the ML board by PC-Link2/Beoport module and programme the firmware from the Beomedia ML board (1.89) into the Beoport module by using the MAC BMLink program. Normally the Beoport doesn't go further then 1.31. Then you will need the onboard audio device or a third party audiocard to feed the PC-Link2/Beoport module.

The ML board is also a USB board where on the back (vertical) is a 4wired cable on a 5 pins connector. Thats the USB entrance for the board.

But to take another pc to act as a beomedia will have some difficulties.

You need the Beomedia software and that has the to work with the OS. And I can tell you in advance that the Web function will give you the most trouble. It only cooperates with Internet Explorer 6. And that version will not handle the latest flashplayer well.

Last year I had the Beomedia software working on another system with a AOpen AX4PE/AX4GE Tube mainboard. For audio it has an old fashioned tube.

• 06-11-2011 9:31 AM In reply to

If you are having a bs3, you don't need an expensive DAC. The audio can be transported digitally to the bs3. You only will need analog to transport the audio to a linkroom.

• 06-11-2011 10:22 AM In reply to

• frog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 191
    • Founder

Beobuddy:

A bit Confused .The first post was that you were having problems with the gray cable etc?

So you sorted it out? The dots on the picture are the pins on the mainboard.

Yes, I deciphered your diagram - extremely useful! Thanks.

• 06-11-2011 10:26 AM In reply to

Yep, sorry. Was at first only for personal use. Glad to hear that it works again.

• 06-11-2011 12:26 PM In reply to

• frog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 191
    • Founder

Sorry - wasn't a criticism! Without that diagram, I doubt if I'd ever bothered taking it in to get fixed etc.

Like the squashed fly on the diagram though - really adds to the picture :)

• 06-11-2011 1:13 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

Evan:

This is a very interesting thread. I have an old Dell that i have been thinking of turning into a sort of media center for my BeoSystem, the idea of making a BeoMedia 1 out of it crossed my mind....

It has a 1.8ghz processor so a very good foundation. I need to get a new HDD and have it cloned but thats just a detail.

I also need to get a new soundcard. In the local computer store yesterday i found myself drooling over the Asus Xonar Essence card - a whopper at USD 200. 

Also, in a used shop I found a couple Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy 2 cards for USD 25. Anyone reccomend these sound cards?

Maximum PC magazine for the past four years has recommended onboard audio (on LGA 775 boards and above) for all builds as discrete cards no longer give appreciable performance differences.  Their builds are often gaming-geared, but this holds true for their HTPC builds as well.

I am currently listening to iTunes on my custom built computer:  Zotac motherboard with toslink digital output -> mass market Japanese receiver with digital audio input -> Beovox S45-2.  The results are excellent for a desktop system.  I also have a Beogram RX2 hooked up to the receiver.

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 06-11-2011 9:29 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Well Rich, with the recommendation of the computer guy (previous owner also), I bought the SB Audigy board today. It has the specs I want, at a more than reasonable price. Regardless it will be an improvement! This is going to be a buget build until I figure out how well I like the concept.

What I am dreading the most is running ethernet cable from our router all the way to this tower, dreadful wifi in this house... All for what feels like an experiement Sad

The need for ethernet is also for net radio streaming and potential netflix / youtube streaming.

I also bought a compact keyboard with integrated tackpad for the small end table where this is all going to end up.

Evan

• 06-13-2011 8:40 AM In reply to

• kimhav
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 127
    • Bronze Member

Evan:
    Also, in a used shop I found a couple Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy 2 cards for USD 25. Anyone reccomend these sound cards?

I can highly recommend the Audigy 2 cards; I bought the PCMCIA version which I'm using together with the VIA Tech board that I'm using together with my BeoPort; the audio output was really big difference and sounded way better. So highly recommended upgrade.

Filed under: ,
  • 06-13-2011 8:42 AM In reply to

• kimhav
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 127
    • Bronze Member

frog:
    Now if the drivers from the PCI card could be removed, then that could make a very interesting option!

There are software available to make backup of drivers which you might not have the original media for; so it's possible to get hold of the driver. So if anyone would be willing to make this process on a BeoMedia that would be nice.

Also, what is the PN for the PCI masterlink card used in the BeoMedia?

• 06-13-2011 12:04 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

kimhav:

Evan:

I can highly recommend the Audigy 2 cards; I bought the PCMCIA version which I'm using together with the VIA Tech board that I'm using together with my BeoPort; the audio output was really big difference and sounded way better. So highly recommended upgrade.

Just yesterday, a coworker of mine reccomended it also. I just wish I could get the drivers to install! I may have to take it back if I can't get this sorted...

Evan

• 06-13-2011 2:28 PM In reply to

• kimhav
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 127
    • Bronze Member

Evan:
    I just wish I could get the drivers to install! I may have to take it back if I can't get this sorted...

Guess that you've checked Creative support section for updated drivers; if not check it here and you should find what ever you might need.

Filed under:
  • 06-13-2011 2:59 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

kimhav:

Evan:
    I just wish I could get the drivers to install! I may have to take it back if I can't get this sorted...

Guess that you've checked Creative support section for updated drivers; if not check it here and you should find what ever you might need.

Thank you. Yes, I have been there and downloaded their Audigy 2 ZS software that fits all versions. The Creative setup says it cannot locate/recognize the installed product blah blah blah....

Very frustrating.

Evan

• 02-17-2012 2:51 AM In reply to

• BeoIce
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Recklinghausen, Germany
    • Posts 281
    • Founder

BeoIce:

As I don't have a MAC, is there any other possibility to programm this firmware to Beoport ?

Found a solution myself. You can rename the beoport firmware to the beomedia firmware and then update it. After that replace the renamed firmware with the original beomedia firmware and all is fine for future updates. 

Regards

Martin

BeoSound 9000 MK III, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 11, BeoCenter 2300, BeoSound Century, BeoVision MX4000/MX7000 & BeoCom 4

Samsung UE40B7090, Samsung HT-WS1G, Technisat HD8-S, Sony PS3, Logitech PS3 IR-BT-Adapter & Lintronic TT455-RT-238

Page 2 of 2 (40 items) < Previous 1 2