in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-17-2012 2:51 AM by BeoIce. 39 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-06-2008 5:06 AM

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

Beomedia INside and Out

Hello All

This post is mainly for information

i opened my beomedia this morning as i wanted to clean it out as it has been running for a few years, i noticed that recently i had been taking more and more short video's with my digital camera and they dont seem to play properly and the videos stop and start quite alot

i have opened it up this morning and can tell you all it has a 1.2 Ghz processor and a terrible 256Mb PC2700 of ram. The masterlink socket is a PCI card attached to the motherboard.

I gave it a clean out and changed some of the performance settings of the Platform is runs on (XP)

i have also upgraded the ram to 512Mb DDR 400Mhz PC3200 and we will see over the next few days if it makes any difference to playing of videos'

i also noticed over the past few years that now pictures become better quality the beomedia takes longer and longer to think about opening them so lets see if this makes any improvment

i just hope my Ram is not to advanced for this motherboard as it looks very simple.

I have taken a picture for any of you who may wish to see the guts of this machine.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc296/seanklemis/DSC00136.jpg

The hard disk is mounted on nice little spring loaded platform to prvent against shock damadge.

Beovision 7 MKIV (Blu Ray)
    Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 07-06-2008 7:23 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

Re: Beomedia INside and Out

Thanks for the picture, always fun to have a look behind the curtains so to speak.

br Chr.

Beosound Ouverture, Beocenter 9000, Beovision MX6000, Beocord VX7000
  • 07-06-2008 8:25 AM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

Hello No problem

i have been runnign the beomedia with 512Mb ram as previously posted and it seems a little better still a bit slow on video and some high quality picks but better i think i may try and order 1GB ram for it to see if it helps further

they do get dusty in there some some of you with it running for years un check may wish to give it a hoover out but be aware practice anti-static procedures if you can 

Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 07-06-2008 9:05 AM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

will it not take a higher speed cpu - i don't know a great deal about them

tony s

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 07-06-2008 9:10 AM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

i dont know i did not look into it that much as the new beocenter 5 is on its way. It seem sa little better i did not really see where the processor was prob under the heat sync.

just being cautious as a new one is not cheap in an IT engineer but bang & olufsen woudl not care what i do and say i broke it and costly to fix.

need to clone the hard disk for backup purposes

Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 07-06-2008 9:24 AM In reply to

This makes one wonder if with the masterlink card ordered as a spare part and the software one might be able to assemble a far superior Beomedia at a fraction of the B&O price.
  • 07-06-2008 9:46 AM In reply to

seanklemis:

Hello No problem

i have been runnign the beomedia with 512Mb ram as previously posted and it seems a little better still a bit slow on video and some high quality picks but better i think i may try and order 1GB ram for it to see if it helps further

they do get dusty in there some some of you with it running for years un check may wish to give it a hoover out but be aware practice anti-static procedures if you can 

I have 1GB ram and no big performenceSad

• 07-06-2008 10:01 AM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

thats a shame oh well maybe just have to wait unil the new system is out and hope they do not make it with a low spec.

Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 07-06-2008 12:02 PM In reply to

It also appears that you can remove the HD and have it cloned. Not being technically inclined, too bad you can't degrag the hard drive as that might reduce the seek time and improve performance.
  • 01-29-2009 9:34 PM In reply to

• kimhav
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 127
    • Bronze Member

The board used in Beomedia is VIA EPIA M II and I think it's still available. Nice feature with this board is that you can boot from CF memory card as well; this would be one way of speeding up the system boot and then use the hard drive as media storage only. I'm using the exactly same board in my dedicated media server and discovered later that B&O used the same board as well.

Manual and drivers for the board can be downloaded from VIA Tech home page.

VIA EPIA M-II moderboard

Filed under:
  • 01-30-2009 5:03 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

How much do you think it would have cost for B&O to produce this product?

not. alot.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 01-30-2009 5:12 AM In reply to

There seems to be 3 versions available. 600MHZ, 1000 MHZ and 1200MHZ. Only the 600MHZ version is "specified" as a fanless processor version. The picture you posted seems to be without a processor fan, only using a heatsink. Or do they use the other fan, on the wall between the HD and motherboard as a CPU fan? Hardly very effective if so.  

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 01-30-2009 5:14 AM In reply to

Dave:

How much do you think it would have cost for B&O to produce this product?

not. alot.

I googled and found a price of about 250-290 Australian dollars, if so the motherboard is pretty expensive, for what it is... Someone surely knows better?

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 01-30-2009 5:34 AM In reply to

• kimhav
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 127
    • Bronze Member

Only the 600MHz version of the board is fanless the other boards has a small CPU-fan; I've got the 1.2GHz version of the board. Also what I've figured out is that the BeoMedia uses the onbard Via Vinyl straight through out via the PCI board; not that great audio chip after all. In my case I will try to get my hands on a Creative Labs Audigy ZS2 pcmcia board for my BeoPort setup.

• 01-30-2009 5:37 AM In reply to

• kimhav
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 127
    • Bronze Member

bayerische:
    I googled and found a price of about 250-290 Australian dollars, if so the motherboard is pretty expensive, for what it is... Someone surely knows better?

Well, it's a low production of the board and as well it's quite well built including if I don't recall it wrong it's delivered with 3 years warrant. Onbard mpeg2 encoder, etc. So it might be worth checking what version of the codec and drivers that are installed on the Beomedia units.

• 01-30-2009 8:06 AM In reply to

It's obvious the most expensive part in this unit is the B&O software. The masterlink card will probably be pricy as well, being far from a mass product. Other than that, it looks quite cleverly built, with the single fan taking care of both the hard disk and the hot parts of the motherboard.

I can see only one problem keeping anyone from taking the bits and putting them in a speedier computer: Microsoft. XP will certainly tip over if you swap the motherboard... the B&O application might also refuse to run on different hardware if they have bothered to put such checks in it.

Did they deliver any kind of recovery features with this, or is it supposed to be a call to the dealer if the hard disk fails?

-mika

• 01-30-2009 10:45 AM In reply to

Kimhav:

OK, but the picture posted by "seanklemis" shows a motherboard with only a heatsink covering the processor... So is his a 600mhz version then?

-Andreas

• 01-30-2009 11:08 AM In reply to

• kimhav
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 127
    • Bronze Member

Could be if it's not a customized build one way or another; I think that I've seen 800MHz boards as well earlier. Checking system properties on my own system shows that the system is running with a VIA Nehemiah 1.20GHz, 480 MB of RAM.

• 01-30-2009 11:21 AM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

hi there

mine is from the shop, so its however they sold the unit as.

Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 01-30-2009 1:54 PM In reply to

• Kiwi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 45
    • Bronze Member

Well, you can use a Beolink PC2 in stead of the 'masterlink PCI card' and connect the Beolink PC2 to one of the USB ports of the VIA EPIA M II motherboard. That's how I did it (3 years ago).

• 01-31-2009 11:19 AM In reply to

• bdm01
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-07-2008
    • Posts 36
    • Gold Member

I'd love to get hold of a copy of the beomedia software !

It would be a great product if it were to run on an up to date hardware platform.

Oh I suppose that would be Beo master 5 then ?

Beomedia one was build on low spec / low power hardware with minimal cooling to keep the noise down

It was also built using Windows XP embeded that is a bit of a pig to work with as it only has the bits installed that the software / hardware needs to use it's now more commonly called WEPOS (windows embedded point of sale) because it's used mainly in the electronic cash tills. it's designed to have an application built around it and then not be modified.

Back to my first point if I had a copy of the software - a ghost image of a system would be OK i will get it working on a high spec unit.

• 06-10-2011 4:08 PM In reply to

• frog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 191
    • Founder

Hi,

I've had my Beomedia 1 fixed when the PSU blew up, but I'm not getting anything out of the audio out (except some clicking noise). I've opened the beomedia and there is a wire loose - it is coming from the ML board about half way up and a third into the board right next to the Micronas chip. The cable is gray with a black and red wire in it. I guess this plugs into the motherboard somewhere - the connectors on the end of the cable look like they just fit over pins.

Does anyone have any idea where this cable goes on the motherboard?

• 06-10-2011 4:57 PM In reply to

Maybe this will help:

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/36905/306377.aspx#306377

The wire you mention, is the digital out from the mainboard to the dgital in of the DAC on the PCI module.

• 06-10-2011 5:12 PM In reply to

• frog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 191
    • Founder

Thanks - it is helpful, - and does the job!

• 06-11-2011 6:55 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

This is a very interesting thread. I have an old Dell that i have been thinking of turning into a sort of media center for my BeoSystem, the idea of making a BeoMedia 1 out of it crossed my mind....

It has a 1.8ghz processor so a very good foundation. I need to get a new HDD and have it cloned but thats just a detail.

I also need to get a new soundcard. In the local computer store yesterday i found myself drooling over the Asus Xonar Essence card - a whopper at USD 200. 

Also, in a used shop I found a couple Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy 2 cards for USD 25. Anyone reccomend these sound cards?

Evan

Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next >