in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-21-2008 3:51 PM by diggs2701. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-26-2008 10:43 AM

Beosystem 1 and HD Cable Box

This is my first post and also my first B&O system. I have a BeoVision 4-42, BeoSystem 1, BeoLab 4000's, BeoLab 8000's (on there way, not hooked up yet), BeoSound 3200 with a beo4 remote. I was wondering if there was anyway to hook up component cables from a HD Digital Cable Box (Comcast Motorola DCT 3416) (Y,Pb,Pr) to the BeoSystem 1 (Y,Pb,Pr,H,V)?

I have tried hooking up the wires with H and V left disconnected and the audio going to the audio of the STB connection panel but I get no video. Also, I spoke with a B&O installer and they recommended I upgrade my software and chipset on my BeoSystem 1 and was wondering if it was worth it?

My last question has to deal with a setup menu that pops up on the BeoVision 4-42 everytime I power it on or change a source (I think the menu is from the beosystem 1 but my beo4 can't control it). The menu (blue) will pop up for about 2 minutes then go away and I was wondering if there is anyway I can have it not show up? Thank you in advance,

Diggs2701

• 06-26-2008 5:26 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beosystem 1 and HD Cable Box

Hi Diggs,

Welcome to BeoWorld, and the B&O 'family'.  Just remember, we kid because we love!

You should have no trouble connecting your cable box, just as you've done.  You will need to 'register' the equipment with the Beosystem 1 so that it knows what to look for.  With the system on, press 'menu-menu-go' on the Beo4 remote.  This should bring up the setup menu.  Look down the list for 'external sources' select and press 'go'.  Scroll down to get to STB then scroll left-right using the double arrows on the Beo4.  Very unlikely that the DCT 3416 will be on the list, but select any Motorola box that says 'HD' or 'Generic ypbpr'  look at other devices you may have attached as well.  When done press 'go'.  You will want to turn the system off and then back on, but you should be set to go.

The blue menu is the panel's own service menu.  It really shouldn't be popping in and out like that, but I have seen it before.  Do you have the RS-232 data cable connecting the BS-2 and the BV-4?  Were these exact 2 pieces connected together in their previous installation?  Are these 'new' old stock?  Is the BV-4 turning on and off with the BeoSystem 1?

Russ

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 06-26-2008 9:06 PM In reply to

I'd bet a trunk of money that menu, menu, 0, 0, go takes him into the wrong menu dear boy. 

Gads. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 06-26-2008 9:13 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Trip is, as is sometimes the case, correct.  I got a bit carried.  'Menu-Menu' will do the trick.  Post edited to correct.

Russ

We kid because we love.

McLean, VA USA

• 06-27-2008 1:50 PM In reply to

If in the list of STB receivers you dont have motorola HD box your BeoSystem 1 will not expect signal coming from Component Input and will be expecting video signal from STB input (on the side)

To make sure BS1 gets video signal correctly you can set it external source = GENERIC Y,Pb,Pr
    You will not be able to control your Motorola HD Box but you can force BS1 to use component cable input.

That was the case with my older BS1 and if you are in the same situation then you will need software upgrade?
    Can you check what is the SW version on your BS1?

In addition I would suggest to set your HD box to output 1080i signal.
    Keep in mind BeoSystem 1 is not able to handle 780p signal.

David the BeoPerson
  • 06-30-2008 2:04 PM In reply to

Thank you all so much. I got the cable box to work through component and everything works great. The menu doesn't pop up anymore after I changed a setting in the menu.

How do I find out what software version I have in the BS1?

Do I need to hook up the IR cable to the STB connection on the back in order to use the Beo4 with the Motorola HD box?

Thanks!

• 06-30-2008 4:08 PM In reply to

Yes, you'll need the IR Flasher...but you will need ot find a similar box in the menu, or get the ccdb file updated in your BS-1. 

Trip

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 06-30-2008 4:26 PM In reply to

Where do I run the IR cable?

I got quoted from the service center that the update will cost ~550? Does that sound right? Just to update a file?

• 07-01-2008 10:44 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Hi Diggs,

Run the IR flasher from the 'CTRL' port on the STB input to the front panel of the STB.  You may have to play around a bit t ofind the best location for the emitter (a flashlight can help you see through the dark plastic face.)  Remember that you'll need to select a Motorola HD box in the connections menu.  Even if you don't see an exact match try a couple of different ones; Motorola reuses IR codes a lot.

Russ

We kid because we love.

McLean, VA USA

• 07-09-2008 3:57 PM In reply to

I ran the IR Flasher and tried all the Motorola codes and got nothing. Everytime you switch the STB box do I need to reset anything or should it just work right then and there? Thanks!
  • 07-09-2008 4:25 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Are you getting sound and picture,b ut no control, sound but no picture, or actual nothing?

Cool

Russ 

We kid because we love.

McLean, VA USA

• 07-16-2008 10:20 AM In reply to

I get sound and picture and I am able to open up the menu for the motorola box (using beo4) but the buttons do not control anything.
  • 07-16-2008 11:38 AM In reply to

Make sure flasher is pointing at motorola box IR sensor correctly, looks like you have everything else set properly.
    David the BeoPerson
  • 07-17-2008 9:39 AM In reply to

I tried every place but got nothing. the only thing that worked was the menu on the beo4 that showed what buttons controlled what on the dvr. I guess I have to use the motorola remote. Thanks for all of your help.
  • 07-17-2008 10:59 AM In reply to

I would not give up just yet :) using Beo4 is essential (IMO)
    1. Double check that IR flasher is working and connected to STB CTRL input.
    2. Make sure you are using STB input when assigning device (motorola box)
    and also try selecting different motorola HD box if available devices, just to see what happens (you may get different buttons controlled on screen)

David the BeoPerson
  • 07-21-2008 3:51 PM In reply to

I checked the version of the software for my BS1 and it has 4.7i

I double checked the IR flasher and it was connected and pointed at the motorola sensor and I tried all Motorola HD boxes but only could bring up the menu.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)