in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-05-2008 3:01 AM by moxxey. 152 replies.
Page 4 of 7 (153 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-29-2008 3:02 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

Re: Sw 4.24 has now arrived for BV7-40/BS3/BV9

Razlaw:
    Wallace and Martin, I agree with you. It appears to me that 100hz may just be a software issue. Here is why.
    There are two numbers to look at, response time and cycle time. Cycle time is how many times a second the image is refreshed, thus a 60hz image refreshes 60 times a second. Response time is how long it takes to refresh.   At 60hz, refreshing will require 16.7ms and at 50hz  20ms. At 120 hz a refresh rate of 8ms is required. See the following article.               LCD Discussion 
    Thus it is as a mathematical matter capable of refreshing 120 times a second, the very definition of 120hz.
    The fact that it does not do it would not seem to be a physical function then of the panel, but a software/processing function.
    So if the BV7-40 panel can refresh 120 times a second, why is it unable to provide 100hz if it had the software and/or a picture engine that supported 100hz? 

You are right with your thinking and mathematics in your post, but unfortunately 8ms is the time for a none "100hz supporting" (or call it old/new) panel to project a half picture, not a complete one. So if you count with a half picture per cycle and the result is 16ms. And 16ms match the 16,7ms for 60Hz you wrote in your post.

Now you asking why does it say 8ms in the Bv7 mk3 spec? It´s because for 3 years ago the panel manufacturers measured the responding time at a half cycles not complete ones. Ask your local  store. Bv7 mk1 and mk2 did also have 8ms in responding time in the spec.

This LTA-400HS is an old panel you must be aware of.. It is about 3 years old and was among one of the first 1080p "prototype" panels Samsung made. (Thats why this panel is so uncommon and only B&o and a few other brands use this panel, but it´s reible like an old working-horse)  And samsung haven´t used this panel in there own product line.  One thing if you wont  proof about how old the panel is: Step aside your tv and look at the aspect ratio! It´s streets behind new panels. The picture get all washed out and the blackness look almost like gray milk..

So in the end you need a processor ho can double the amount of pictures per second and a fast supporting panel. You cant generate 100hz in a panel, you only need a fast one. A full cycle 8ms = 120Hz panel.

Regards

BL8000 MkII Black

• 06-29-2008 3:26 AM In reply to

Hi Beolab, Maybe you have find out that my discussion about "100hz-screens" is correct. I have read about 15 articles in hi-fi-press (internet) that confirms what I had said in my posts at this thread.  

But it is a shame for B&O if you are right about how old this panel is, but I really dont think that B&O uses a 3 years old screen in the BV7. When I was browsing at internet for about 6 month ago at Samsungs homepage I found out that B&O:s screen is from "about" spring 2007. It was not easy to find out about it, but  I found a sait for manufactur-screens i.e "raw-screens" that Samsung delivers to other brands. And B&O:s screen was on a list that samsung had at spring 2007. But I am not suprised. When I bought my first BV7 mark I at september 2005, that was a screen from spring 2005. I think that B&O uses screens that are 6-12 month old, because they decide to use a certain screen at a very early time in the product-development and they stick with that screen all the way to a finished product.  

What you wrote about response time and hertz: BV7 has 8 ms in response-time with 50/60hz. And of course when Sharp says that their screen has a responsetime at 4 ms, it is because its software dubles the frames from 50 to 100/second. Sharps 4ms screen is a so called 100hz-screen. But all of this 100hz-screen talks, is a selling-gimmic because people in general thinks that it is the same as for tupe-tv:s. But IT IS not. Tube-tv:s really had 100hz screens which had some advantages and some dis-advantages. When you have software in a flat-tv that dubles the frames from 50 to 100hz you dont notice a more flicker-free picture at that magnitude that you did with 100hz-tube-tv:s. It is a way for sales-staff and manufature-firms to have something to say to the custumers so they buy the flat-tv:s. Of course, if a customer had a 100hz tube-tv and want to buy a flat-tv, they buy a "100hz" flat-tv so they have the same techical specs now (that is what the general customer thinks).  I am happy that B&O not have made the BV7 software at 100hz, because then we have had a lot of artefacts in the picture when the picture is panning. There is today no brand that make a 100hz-viewing good. Ask B&O in Denmark about this, and they will say the same thing.  

Regards

Martin

Beolab 5 with sw 3.0,  BV7-55 3D without Bluray(MK II), Beolab 7-4, Beolab 4000 MKII, Beolab 3500, Beovox CX100, Beosound 9000 mkIII, Cabinett 2054, Beo4 MKII, Oppo BDP-93 Blurayplayer (B&O-version)

• 06-29-2008 3:42 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

martin01:

Hi Beolab, Maybe you have find out that my discussion about "100hz-screens" is correct. I have read about 15 articles in hi-fi-press (internet) that confirms what I had said in my posts at this thread.

But it is a shame for B&O if you are right about how old this panel is. When I was browsing at internet for about 6 month ago at Samsungs homepage I found out that B&O:s screen is from "about" spring 2007. It was not easy to find out about it, but  I found a sait for manufactur-screens i.e "raw-screens" that Samsung delivers to other brands. And B&O:s screen was on a list that samsung had at spring 2007. But I am not suprised. When I bought my first BV7 mark I at september 2005, that was a screen from spring 2005. I think that B&O uses screens that are 6-12 month old, because they decide to use a certain screen at a very early time in the product-development and they stick with that screen all the way to a finished product.  

I can tell you a funny story if you want. A TV company brand called  SWEDX make´s LCD tv´s in real wood and are using the Samsung LTA-400 HS panel in the  SWEDX XV1-40TV V3 model. And the price is only  $900 US dollars !!! So the panel ho B&o claimes to be so expensive can´t be. It´s just old and reible..

And yes when B&o are about to make a new tv they first look up the best panel, the best chassis and the best picture processor for the day, but when the TV hits the market the hardware is old... And this is the the truth yes...

Regards

BL8000 MkII Black

• 06-29-2008 4:05 AM In reply to

a question: Why are we complaining about our BV7? Aren´t you satisfied with yours?

Did you try the new SW 4.24? I was not really satisfied when I bought mine at november last year, because I had a plan of using it with bluray-movies. But now, with the new software, I think it is a very good TV for bluraymovies and DVD:s.  

How can it be that Bv7 mark III get so good reviews in tests whith this "old" panel? Maybe because B&O is exceptional good at making the picture-engine (Beosystem 3) and software to their picture-engine (BS3).

AND: I will not buy a new BV 7-40 Mark IV with in-build bluray player. It is much better to have the possibility to change the player whenever you want that.

And now some interesting information for all people at this forum: B&O will release a 52-inch BV7 next year. This information comes from a very reliable source!!!

B&O will also release a stand-alone Bluray-player next year (with HDR2-look).

Beolab 5 with sw 3.0,  BV7-55 3D without Bluray(MK II), Beolab 7-4, Beolab 4000 MKII, Beolab 3500, Beovox CX100, Beosound 9000 mkIII, Cabinett 2054, Beo4 MKII, Oppo BDP-93 Blurayplayer (B&O-version)

• 06-29-2008 4:15 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

martin01:

a question: Why are we complaining about our BV7? Aren´t you satisfied with yours?

Did you try the new SW 4.24? I was not really satisfied when I bought mine at november last year, because I had a plan of using it with bluray-movies. But now, with the new software, I think it is a very good TV for bluraymovies and DVD:s.  

How can it be that Bv7 mark III get so good reviews in tests whith this "old" panel? Maybe because B&O is exceptional good at making the picture-engine (Beosystem 3) and software to their picture-engine (BS3).

AND: I will not buy a new BV 7-40 Mark IV with in-build bluray player. It is much better to have the possibility to change the player whenever you want that.

And now some interesting information for all people at this forum: B&O will release a 52-inch BV7 next year. This information comes from a very reliable source!!!

B&O will also release a stand-alone Bluray-player next year (with HDR2-look).

Here: Scroll down 3 posts and have a look.. Swedex are using LTA400HS for 6996:- Swedish crowns.. ! : http://www.minhembio.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=162001

Martin! One thing you misunderstand is, i don´t complaining about my two BV7´s im just telling the truth about the old hardware B&o are using.. 

And your inside information is old i wrote this news at 15-05-2008: ;)

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/post/115144.aspx

BL8000 MkII Black

• 06-29-2008 4:16 AM In reply to

• Doc
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 585
    • Bronze Member

Martin01, is there also news about a BV7-40 mk4; and if so will it have a 100Hz panel?

And in general: What will a 100Hz panel improve/change compared to our current 50Hz panel? 

• 06-29-2008 4:22 AM In reply to

Hi, beolab

I have read the Minhembio-thread about the screen. Nobody seems to know for sure if this is the screen. But maybe it is the same screen that b&o uses. But people talks about how good the picture is at this screen (old or not) and thats maybe why b&o uses it.

• 06-29-2008 4:26 AM In reply to

Hi,

about the new Bv7-mark IV, there are just guesses not facts, I´m afraid. Read my earlier posts here about those tests I have done with other brands "100hz-screens". Today you wouldn´t like to have a 100hz-software in your Tv. Maybe in a year or so, this will be good, but for now, the 48/50/60 hz that BV7-40 markIII will deliver is quit good.

• 06-29-2008 4:33 AM In reply to

• Doc
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 585
    • Bronze Member

I'm very satisfied with my BV7-40 mk3 as it is today, even without the 4.24 SW; but watch Bluray rarely (with my PS3) and see no problems/artefacts when using DVD...

• 06-29-2008 4:33 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

martin01:

Hi, beolab

I have read the Minhembio-thread about the screen. Nobody seems to know for sure if this is the screen. But maybe it is the same screen that b&o uses. But people talks about how good the picture is at this screen (old or not) and thats maybe why b&o uses it.

Yes, but it´sad that B&o are using the selling "argument" why the tv is so expensive?:. It´s because of the panel are custom made for b&o and you cant´find it in other brands. And if a brand should use this special  panel, the TV set would cost the same or more as the Bv7 etc... Thats all a lie..

And when you wrote "it´s because of  BS3 ho makes a good picture" = Pixel Works DMX video processor are housing in the BS3...

BL8000 MkII Black

• 06-29-2008 4:40 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Doc:

Martin01, is there also news about a BV7-40 mk4; and if so will it have a 100Hz panel?

And in general: What will a 100Hz panel improve/change compared to our current 50Hz panel? 

There is no definitive news on a BV7-40 MKIV. However, B&O themselves have said they are evaluating Blu-ray and are working on a 100Hz technology that will exceed the current spec. They said themselves, in Feb 2008, that we wouldn't see these technologies until 'a year from now', which has led to various Beoworld discussions on a BV7-40 MKIV.

Most people here speculate and speculate again. Yes, there are also rumours of a BV7-48 or a BV7-52, but unless you're using HD to view your image, SD pictures would be too pixelated on a BV7-52. I wouldn't want to watch SD-based football on a BV7-52. Not a good experience.

• 06-29-2008 9:51 AM In reply to

Beolab, 

You mention that three years ago manufacturers measured responding time in half cycles. The article I cited lists a reference article at the end of it. Reading that article indicates full cycles are being measured, not half cycles. Also, the date of that article was July of 2005, three years ago. So it seems in fact both the article I cited, and the article that was used as a source for it, are in fact talking about full cycles. Also, the page I listed with the BV7 specification obviously is much less than three years old as it discusses the BV7.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 06-29-2008 1:49 PM In reply to

Hi guys.

Interesting discussions, but maybe you can agree on this, relative simple, question ;-)

I have a Beovision4 (bs3 and panel D9) and use a PS3 to watch DVD and BR. Do you think that I will have any benefits going from my current sw 4.0 to 4.24 ? sw 4.0 is working very well, and if sw 4.24 is designed for panel D10 I may just get a more unstable solution.

• 06-29-2008 4:55 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Beolab:

Yes, but it´sad that B&o are using the selling "argument" why the tv is so expensive?:. It´s because of the panel are custom made for b&o and you cant´find it in other brands. And if a brand should use this special  panel, the TV set would cost the same or more as the Bv7 etc... Thats all a lie..

And when you wrote "it´s because of  BS3 ho makes a good picture" = Pixel Works DMX video processor are housing in the BS3...

I can't speak to what you may have been told, but on the left side of the Atlantic, the story is not that the panel are custom made for B&O, but rather that the panel are hand-selected by B&O from the production runs.  B&O are charged a premium for getting these 'choice' panels.

Before you, or 355, or Bingo start saying that all the panels are the same, it should be clear that they are not.  No 2 things made by man, nor even in nature, are the same.  The analogy here is the Restaurant business.  The finer, more expensive restaurants are not satisfied to take whatever groceries their distributors deign to send them...they spend the time and money every day to have their people at the markets, because not all Tuna are alike, and neither are tomatoes, potatoes, or French red wines.  They pay top price for the best ingredients, take the greatest care in their preparation, and generally the results speak for themselves.  The same can be said for every Television coming out of the 'Kitchen' in Struer.  A Filet o' Fish Sandwich meal at McDonalds is $6, The Longfin Tilapia at Bonefish Grill starts at $14, and you don't get a drink!  Most of us could tell the difference...but is it really worth three times as much?

Similarly, your remark concerning the use of PixelWorks chips sets doesn't really address the issue either.  As you all know, Apple have been making their computers for the last 3 years or so using Intel chip sets, just like the rest of the industry.  Does anyone here really need for me to do a comparison between the BS-3 and oh, I don't know...Leopard vs. Vista?

Russ

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 06-29-2008 5:24 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

RussR:
    Beolab:

I can't speak to what you may have been told, but on the left side of the Atlantic, the story is not that the panel are custom made for B&O, but rather that the panel are hand-selected by B&O from the production runs.  B&O are charged a premium for getting these 'choice' panels.

Before you, or 355, or Bingo start saying that all the panels are the same, it should be clear that they are not.  No 2 things made by man, nor even in nature, are the same.  The analogy here is the Restaurant business.  The finer, more expensive restaurants are not satisfied to take whatever groceries their distributors deign to send them...they spend the time and money every day to have their people at the markets, because not all Tuna are alike, and neither are tomatoes, potatoes, or French red wines.  They pay top price for the best ingredients, take the greatest care in their preparation, and generally the results speak for themselves.  The same can be said for every Television coming out of the 'Kitchen' in Struer.  A Filet o' Fish Sandwich meal at McDonalds is $6, The Longfin Tilapia at Bonefish Grill starts at $14, and you don't get a drink!  Most of us could tell the difference...but is it really worth three times as much?

Similarly, your remark concerning the use of PixelWorks chips sets doesn't really address the issue either.  As you all know, Apple have been making their computers for the last 3 years or so using Intel chip sets, just like the rest of the industry.  Does anyone here really need for me to do a comparison between the BS-3 and oh, I don't know...Leopard vs. Vista?

Russ

anyone who believes that B&O are hand selecting panels off a production line that makes thousands of these a day is seriously misinformed.

If they go to that trouble why dont they choose the best panels available instead.??

• 06-30-2008 11:39 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Back on the original topic.

I've had my BV7-40 MKIII upgraded to sw 4.24a this afternoon. I'm actually slightly disappointed. The white flash hasn't completely disappeared - you still see it in 1080p mode, when viewing the Playstation 3 menu. Witnessed by the B&O engineer.

Also, the panning is better, but not perfect. It's definitely an improvement though - there is an excellent landscape panning scene in scene 1 of the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Before sw 4.24 it jerked obviously when panning the landscape. Post 4.24 the panning still jerks along slightly, but improved.

I wonder why the white flash issue is still resident when using the PS3?

• 06-30-2008 12:11 PM In reply to

moxxey:

I've had my BV7-40 MKIII upgraded to sw 4.24a this afternoon. I'm actually slightly disappointed. The white flash hasn't completely disappeared - you still see it in 1080p mode, when viewing the Playstation 3 menu. Witnessed by the B&O engineer.

Also, the panning is better, but not perfect. It's definitely an improvement though - there is an excellent landscape panning scene in scene 1 of the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Before sw 4.24 it jerked obviously when panning the landscape. Post 4.24 the panning still jerks along slightly, but improved.

Do you select 24p i PS3 menu? 

• 06-30-2008 1:05 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

AFAIK 24p is 'on' on the PS3 menu. Are you saying it should be turned off?
  • 06-30-2008 1:15 PM In reply to

moxxey:
    AFAIK 24p is 'on' on the PS3 menu. Are you saying it should be turned off?

Ofcourse it should be on, BUT what happends when you turn it ON?

Does the screen goes black for 2-3 sec? 

• 06-30-2008 1:23 PM In reply to

Beolab:
    martin01:

I have just had my BV7-40 MarkIII upgraded with sw 4.24. I have tried some of my blu-raymovies which I know jerked before in the picture when the camera was panning the picture. I have now put the 24p-mode on in the blu ray player (Sony S-300).

And it is a LARGE improvement. Now the picture when panning, is very smooth. And I checked what fprs the BV7 is running at. It is 48hz so it is REAL 24p and not just "support" for 24p (you can see that in the "custumer menu". B&O have done a VERY GREAT job at this software, and I dont see any white flashes anymore either.

I am very happy with my Bv7 now. So guys, UPGRADE YOUR BV7/BS3/BV9 to get a real good picture when looking at bluray-movies.

Regards
    Martin

It´s not real 24p Martin.. "Real" 24p have 96fps and you need a 100Hz display to show that, so this is just a compromise and half the amount of fps you get of the real 24p (96fps) ...

B&o have wrote this firmware by interpolate 24Hz x4 and then divide it with 2, now you have 48Hz..

From the beginning the rumor was 25Hz x 4 /2 =50Hz .. Maybe the 48Hz preformed better in the end..

Regards   

I just saw a one page article on 24fps in "What HIFI"  It specifically stated that there is no such thing as "true" 24fps and whether it displays the image 11,22 etc or 1111,2222 is of no consequence.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 06-30-2008 2:41 PM In reply to

355f,

Your definition of "the best" is a bit simplistic. That's like saying that Bigfoot is the best vehicle Ford has produced since it has very very big wheels.

Upgrades tend to present challenges as well as benefits. We hold out on adopting the newest kit off the assembly line for the same reason sensible buyers do not buy first runs (or beta versions) of products off the shelves. They know that real-world problems are inherent in new technology. Bang & Olufsen adopts stable technology, which does not always correspond to "up to the minute."

Russ is, by the way, 100% correct in his description of the relationship we have with Panasonic & Samsung. We have the ability to hand select panels from scheduled runs, for which we pay more for the raw product. This is not only common knowledge within Bang & Olufsen, but has been published in plenty of marketing material.

Back to work...

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 06-30-2008 3:41 PM In reply to

• JoC
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-20-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 121
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:

Good news that the playback of BluRays are a tad better, bad news that the 'white flash' is STILL happening.

It's a pity that this white flash issue has dragged on for so long, it's almost beginning to look like B&O have no idea what is causing it and can't fix it, or perhaps don't even acknowledge that the problem even exists.

I can tune it out sometimes, but then I keep seeing it out of the corner of my eye, then I get totally distracted. C'mon B&O get your finger out, and fix the thing... please...

• 06-30-2008 4:04 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

JoC:

Good news that the playback of BluRays are a tad better, bad news that the 'white flash' is STILL happening.

It was eliminated in Blu-ray playback in sw 4.01. The latest sw 4.24 seems to prevent the white flash when playing PS3 games (TBC though), but is definitely there when you use the PS3 menu. If it's only present on the menu (TBC), then I can live with that.

• 06-30-2008 4:22 PM In reply to

• JoC
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-20-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 121
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:
    JoC:

It was eliminated in Blu-ray playback in sw 4.01. The latest sw 4.24 seems to prevent the white flash when playing PS3 games (TBC though), but is definitely there when you use the PS3 menu. If it's only present on the menu (TBC), then I can live with that.

OK, never knew it was fixed for BluRays on 4.01, and now if it is only on the XMB then yeah that is OK, would be very interested if it is still there when playing games (either 720p upscaled games [eg GrandTheftAuto] or 1080p native games [eg GranTurismo]). Also what about streaming media, either from a server or from a usb media key, any white flashes here? as this is where I seem to notice it the most...

TIA 

• 06-30-2008 6:25 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

TripEnglish:

355f,

Your definition of "the best" is a bit simplistic. That's like saying that Bigfoot is the best vehicle Ford has produced since it has very very big wheels.

Upgrades tend to present challenges as well as benefits. We hold out on adopting the newest kit off the assembly line for the same reason sensible buyers do not buy first runs (or beta versions) of products off the shelves. They know that real-world problems are inherent in new technology. Bang & Olufsen adopts stable technology, which does not always correspond to "up to the minute."

Russ is, by the way, 100% correct in his description of the relationship we have with Panasonic & Samsung. We have the ability to hand select panels from scheduled runs, for which we pay more for the raw product. This is not only common knowledge within Bang & Olufsen, but has been published in plenty of marketing material.

Back to work...

Hand select a samsung panel- come on even you cant believe that!  Samsung dont make quality products- they make cheap products for the mass market.

No difference beetween BV4 and commercial panasonic. I will post all the pictures with the backs removed if you desire.

Please feel free to point out any difference!

Page 4 of 7 (153 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »