in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-04-2008 11:31 AM by Wings. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-03-2008 10:58 AM

BeoSound 6... the owners... and reviews

Dear all BeoWorlders,

I have had a BeoSound 6 for a few months now, but within 2 weeks of buying one I had put it in the draw and started using my trusted BeoSound 2 again. Unless I've been doing something wrong, the sound of the BeoSound 6 is not any better than the BeoSound 2 and the time to transfer music files from my computer to the BeoSound 6 has also been the same as my BeoSound 2. These were my two main areas of interest to justify my purchase of a BeoSound 6.

So as I've clearly been disappointed with my BeoSound 6 so far, I am interested to find out how many BeoWorlders have a BeoSound 6 and to read everyone's opinion with B&O's most recent MP3 player whether you own one, have used one, or have chosen not to buy one.

I will appreciate all responses, oh and I've already placed my £100 bet that the word 'iPod' will crop up in this thread within the next hour or so!

Yes -  thumbs up

• 04-03-2008 11:12 AM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

Re: BeoSound 6... the owners... and reviews

What´s an iPod? LaughingLaughing Sorry couldn´t resistCool
  • 04-03-2008 11:27 AM In reply to

Hi. Isnt that the one that looks like the samsung one?

I've got an Ipod, and im not too happy about it, battery sucks and it feels like a copy of b&o. Silver and black that feels cheap, but unfortunately i cant find anything that rivals it. I.e. beosound 2 has 2gb flash? Whats that all about?! Please!

• 04-03-2008 11:32 AM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

timhanna:

Hi. Isnt that the one that looks like the samsung one?

I've got an Ipod, and im not too happy about it, battery sucks and it feels like a copy of b&o. Silver and black that feels cheap, but unfortunately i cant find anything that rivals it. I.e. beosound 2 has 2gb flash? Whats that all about?! Please!

The ipod is a copy of the B&O?  Huh? 

-Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 04-03-2008 11:39 AM In reply to

Sorry, what i meant was the styling... how things are alum and black etc... they even copied the wheel that people refer to the ipod wheel... i dunno. I got an ipod and a mac, but something about apple is really annoying me. I think they need to be sued soon :)
  • 04-03-2008 11:49 AM In reply to

I only listened to the Beosound 6 in the store but I did not buy it because I already have a Beosound 2 which I think the sounds better.  I also think the Beosound 2 is a more classic design.  I only use the Beosound 2 at home.

Until recently Apple and B&O used the same amplifier chip in their players from Wolfson in the UK.  I also have the Apple cell phone and nano player which are very good.  I didn't use the i*** word! 

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 04-03-2008 11:57 AM In reply to

timhanna:
    Sorry, what i meant was the styling... how things are alum and black etc... they even copied the wheel that people refer to the ipod wheel... i dunno. I got an ipod and a mac, but something about apple is really annoying me. I think they need to be sued soon :)

They get sued constantly, even MS/Windows tried that. BTW - there is a really nice command iPod wheel/B&O wheel on a Braun pocket radio from the early 60s. They can sue, too. Whoever they like. Big Smile That's the Braun T3 pocket radio on the left.

I want to undercomplicate my life, which means that the handling of music and video belongs in the Apple domain until something a lot better comes along. 

• 04-03-2008 12:34 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Henry, the same thing happened to me with my Beo5. I rarely use it, it has been in a drawer for some weeks now... Sad

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 04-03-2008 2:18 PM In reply to

It's funny how B&O defines priorities when they launch a "new" product. BeoSound 6 came out 7 years after BS2, and in 7 years B&O didn't learn that file transfers were faster with a USB 2.0 cable..especially when having 4Gb of music to transfer instead of the 2 Gb from BS2.

At least with BS2, you can take the SD card, put it in your PC card reader, and store music at real high speed. Using BS2 to store 1 album of 80 Mb takes 2 minutes, using the card reader with a 133x card takes 30 seconds..but you can't do that with BS6, because the flash memory is built-in! First B&O tell us that SD format is the future, then they release BS6 and Serenata, both using non-SD technology.

As for the sound, the original Samsung is rated at 92 dB S/N ratio, when BS6 has 87 dB. And frequency response goes from 20 hz-20KHz on the original Samsung to a strange 37 Hz on BS6..and B&O are not afraid of talking about superior sound performance & higher dynamic range compared to the competition..pure PR language, I'm afraid.

Instead of wasting so much time on the ugly leather case, they should have worked more on transfer speed & sound quality indeed..not to mention the OGG format compatibility, but no AAC compatibility, unlike the Serenata..who said all B&O products spoke the same language??

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 04-03-2008 3:52 PM In reply to

Thanks for your very informative post Chris. Initially I thought it was me who was transferring my music incorrectly, but you've confirmed that the transfer speed with the BeoSound 6 is exactly the same as the BeoSound 2. My dealer lied through his teeth then when he told me BeoSound 6 used USB 2.0. This has always been my biggest fuss about my BeoSound 2, especially when I see a friend rip an entire album onto his iPod in 1... 2... 3... seconds. I'll stick with my pretty BeoSound 2 until something is made properly. I have considered buying an iPod Nano, but all the iPods date so fast. My BeoSound 2 is timeless.

Tom, atleast the Beo5 looks good. The BeoSound 6 is boring.

• 04-04-2008 11:31 AM In reply to

• Wings
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 341
    • Founder

Kevin:
    What´s an iPod? LaughingLaughing Sorry couldn´t resistCool

iPod = illegitimate Progeny of Dingoes

We were at a cocktail reception at a fancy club where one ought not to use bad language.  The above was the best I could do on short notice to refer to someone as a b*****d and a SOB.

Sorry for being off-topic [and off-color?]

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)