in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-04-2008 4:22 PM by bambam. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-31-2008 10:32 AM

beogram 3300, phone amp + hum?

Hi

I hope someone can help with this problem. I have a beogram 3300, which was connected to a beomaster 3300 (but passed away) and now connected to a Marantz PM-44SE -which has a phone amp- (looking for beomaster to replace old one) via an adaptor. For various reasons only just been able to try this out and have found two problems;

1. there is a hum as soon as the stylus touches the record. This hum dominates the sound when listening on Goldring headphones, but is only noticeable via B&O speakers when there is silence or when volume turned up high. Beogram and cartridge both just been serviced, so they should not be the problem. Could it be an earthing problem. The mains plug for the beogram is two pin and I presume was previously earthed via the beomaster, if needs earth what is best method?
    2. When I use the beogram I have to nearly double the volume in order to get the same level of sound as I do when playing a CD (via a NAD CD player), why is this? The Marantz has a phone amp, but there is clearly some sort of miss match, do I need to get a pre-amp?

Thanks for reading

Confused 

• 03-31-2008 11:36 AM In reply to

Re: beogram 3300, phone amp + hum?

The earth on the Beogram and the earth on the Amplifier should be at the same potential to prevent mains hum. Suggest that you connect the metal shield on the DIN plug from the deck to the chassis of the amplifier. This should cure the problem.

Your volume problem is mainly caused by the fact that the MMC cartridge output is significantly lower than competitive devices and you therefore have to wind up the volume to compensate.

Regards Graham

• 04-02-2008 7:47 PM In reply to

Dear Graham

Thank you for the prompt reply. I am not sure how to carry out the necessary connections between the metal shield of the din from the deck and the chassis of the amp. I have physically touched the shield area to the chassis but that has not stopped the hum. However, if I disconnect the the Din from the adapter, but place my thumbs over the end of each making me the earth the hum continues. but if I do the same at the same time as touching the lead to my headphones -when plugged in_ the hum stops. I am sorry but I have not real technical knowledge, so if you could explain a bit more on how I should do this  I would be very grateful.

Sound-smiths, from whom I got my cartridge, said they thought there should be a earth wire or post on the body of the turntable, but I cannot find one. Was I right in thinking that it was the connection with the beomaster the previously supplied the earth?

Thanks again for your help, I can see that there should be a way of solving this problem.

Regards

Keith 

• 04-04-2008 5:06 AM In reply to

Dear Grahan

I have done the necessary wiring at bit heath robinson but used old piece of wire, connected to the earth post on amp and then tied the other end around an open bit of the deck chassis. Probably not the most sophisticated way of doing it, but it works.

Thanks for your help

Keith 

• 04-04-2008 4:22 PM In reply to

Hi

I would have thought that you just need to get a cable that has a Din socket at one end and two phono plus and a ground lead at the other.

That's what I had to get to use my Beogram with my modern amp.

Cheers 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)