in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-23-2009 8:26 PM by Dave. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-21-2008 5:06 PM

• Robert
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 362
    • Gold Member

BV8 to DVD player

I am planning on getting a BV8-32, and was wondering how best to go about playing DVDs. Should I buy a used DVD1, or wait to see what "DVD3" is like, even though it may be out of my price range? Anyone have any experience of what the image quality is like from a DVD1 on an LCD tv? My planned set up was as follows:

HDMI- Apple TV <will use STB connection>

AV1: Scart- Sky box <will use STB connection>

AV2: Component + Scart (audio)- Nintendo Wii

Masterlink Module's extra scart- DVD? 

I hope I am right in assuming this will all connect up. Any ideas how best to get DVD which i can control with my Beo 5/4?

Robert. 

• 03-21-2008 6:01 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Re: BV8 to DVD player

Hello Eire;

Although we do not use the Apple TV, we are quite happy with the DVD and SAT TV on the BV 8. It sounds like you have an interesting set-up ahead of you.

The Master Link features we use.quite often using Beoport, and the sound continues to amaze us for such small speakers. Although we have replaced the BL 2000 linked elsewhere throughout the house, we retained BL 4000's with the BV 8 located downstairs in the Living Room. STB controlling the DVD is fine for us with Beo 4.

• 03-21-2008 6:11 PM In reply to

• Robert
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 362
    • Gold Member

Which DVD player are you using SWISS_2? If you use the STB controller i take it that it isn't a B&O DVD player? I was planning on using the apple TV as a music source, that way it would save me bringing CD's to my apartment while I'm at university during the week, as i go home at the weekends where my BS1 and BS3000 will continue to be located. If i was to add a CD player to the setup at university, i would consider a BM6500 and CD6500 connected to the BV8, if that is possible, MCL/ML converter perhaps?
  • 03-21-2008 7:39 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

You are quite correct.

We use a non-B&O DVD player as it is multi-region capable. One less remote to now search for. I have heard that one can tinker a bit and convert a B&O DVD player to do this, but we don't.

The stereo system starts with our BS 3200. When purchased the Masterlink was an unknown feature to us, but is used constantly today. I use both XP and Mac Pro for work but I would suggest you take into consideration the merits of the Masterlink feature and Beoport.

• 03-21-2008 7:47 PM In reply to

• Robert
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 362
    • Gold Member

Which brand and model of DVD player do you use SWISS_2? Whichever DVD player I end up choosing I hope to control it with my Beo 5.

Because i use a MacBook, i don't know how handy Beoport might be compared to the apple tv, which does seem quite convenient. Do you get any visual display on the TV from Beoport? I won't have an audio master in my setup. Hence why I planned to use the apple TV as my music source.

• 03-21-2008 8:35 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

DVD PLAYER:

Sony DVPNS57P. Inexpensive 45 Euro. Quite good, clear, works well with the Beo 4.

APPLE/MAC:

If you are happy with it, then perhaps it makes no sense to change. Many members have stated as such. We like the Beoport and Beoplayer features as they work well with our PC, which is also connected to the Beovision 8.  We stepped down from a 42 Plasma to the BV 8 for this, but the picture is exceptionally good    ( We just moved the BL 4000 speakers in a little closer on either side of the screen ).

• 03-21-2008 8:38 PM In reply to

I bought the BV8 recently. 

I would not connect the Wii to the component/scart combination but use that for the sky box. The Wii should be fine on Scart or SVideo or whatever it is. Component should be used for HD like sources which I think the Sky Box is since the ATV will occupy the HDMI.

I have the BC2, which I bought for looks. Please note you can connect only 2 STB cables, which you will be using for ATV and Sky Box so controlling something non B&O is not possible unless you give up ATV or Sky Box and use the respective remote.

So I recommmend to stick to B&O for the DVD. Maybe a used DVD1 will bridge the gap to Blueray Player / DVD3 - whatever it is. Lee has some for 300 squid.

Cheers

Jk 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 03-21-2008 8:55 PM In reply to

One more thing, at some point the Wii will have a DVD player. Not sure if old ones can be upgraded and how that will work but it is definitly on the horizon once demand in the US comes back in line.

• 03-22-2008 8:19 AM In reply to

• Robert
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 362
    • Gold Member

I will just have a normal SKY+ box, which connects via scart, and I already have my Wii connected by Component to my existing TV, so was just going to continue to do so on the BV 8.

It seems I'd be best to go for a B&O unit then, how is the pq from your BC 2 on the BV 8? Do you have any experience using a DVD 1 Jk?

Also, I remember reading on the forums that you have an apple TV, how do you find it for listen to music, watching purchased videos from iTunes Store etc? 

• 03-22-2008 9:25 AM In reply to

The picture quality from the BC2 is good. I have the 32" and sit maybe 10 feet from it. I had HD content on my Apple TV and while you can see the difference to a DVD it doesn't make much difference. It it is a bit sharper but not that much that I would turn to rent HD content from the Itunes store over borrowing a DVD.

I think the annoying PQ issues kick in when you get HD panels and try to watch standard content. Or when you watch Blueray on a non HD non 24fps panel. Ghosting, blocks, stuttering in fast motion. I have nothing like that but of course there is a noticeable difference to HD and I also would think that an upscaling DVD player (some have a mini BS3 integrated) could deliver better results, not the 45 squid ones though.

I never had a DVD1. 

For the Apple TV, the only that bugs me is that I can't switch it off through Beo 4. So I leave it always on. It is awesome for music and video. I watch a lot of TV series through it and prefer this much over DVD since it remembers what episodes I have seen. Sound is very good as well even though I prefer music as I ripped all my music with 192 and while thats OK you can hear a big difference in direct comparison to CD.

• 03-22-2008 11:16 AM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

I'd like to throw my 2 cents in (not sure home many Euros that is, but not a lot).

JK, Soundproof and several others were kind enough to help me set up my Apple TV / BV8 / BL3s / cable box with DVR.  Owing to the lack of inputs on the BV8 and B&O's poor preparation on their customer service end (at least here in the USA with the BV8), my experiment at setting up this receiver-less home media system that relies on computers rather than CDs or DVDs to beam digital media was more difficult than I'd thought.  Part of this was also because of my general lack of knowledge when it comes to B&O TVs and speakers.

I'm now listening to "lossless" encoded and put on my Apple TV that is running through the DAC of the BV8 to the BL3s, and I'm happy with the result.  I agree with JK, though, you can hear a difference between the "lossless" or full-band CDs and the compressed music.  In general, though, the Apple TV is remarkable and I'm really enjoying my set-up (thank you again JK1002, Soundproof, Alex and everyone else).

I may adulterate my experiment, though, and get a DVD1 so that I can play the occasional DVD without first encoding it on my computer.  I don't think a used DVD1 is a good deal financially or PQ-wise compared to some of the units that can up-convert, but if I want to stick with one remote (the Beo 4) I've got to use a B&O DVD player with scart connection.  My understanding is that the BV8 will be able to control the DVD1 without any IR blasters or the DVD1's IR window being visible because of the scart connection.  I'm going to have to get a European spec DVD1 and convert the voltage.  I'll report back as to how this works.

Mark D
  • 03-22-2008 1:12 PM In reply to

• Robert
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 362
    • Gold Member

All of my music is ripped at 320kbps although I do have some music purchased from the iTunes Music Store, alongside some TV episodes, so I think I'll definitely go for an apple TV now, and connect it through HDMI to the BV 8.

At the minute I watch DVDs at my parents house on a Pioneer Kuro, with an Arcam Solo Movie 5.1, providing an upconverted picture, which is very good pq wise. I don't expect the DVD 1 to be better, but I hope the image will be fine for occassional viewing, the big plus is integration tbh, and this is mostly why I am considering it. As far I was know, the DVD 1 doesn't require any external IR blaster's, the scart connection handles that. I'm sure someone with a DVD 1 can confirm.

Also, does anyone know if/when B&O plan to update the connections on some of their smaller TV's? I really could do with a second HDMI on the BV 8, although a trade-in is always an option if I buy soon and it gets upgraded. 

• 03-22-2008 1:22 PM In reply to

The BV8 is relatively new, I don't think they will upgrade that soon. The DVD1 / BV8 will not be able to compete with the Arcam/Kuro combination but it doesn't have too. The Kuro is larger and has a much higher resolution so when connecting a DVD1 you will see PQ issues that will not show up on the lower resolution/smaller BV8.

Additional HDMIs are definitely required as many seem to consider the BV8 as a main room TV which it is not supposed to be.

JK 

• 03-22-2008 1:41 PM In reply to

• Robert
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 362
    • Gold Member

The only other TV I could probably get is a BeoCentre 6, which only has a DVI, the BV 7 is abit out of my price range, and 40" may be too large for my viewing distance. At least if I get a BV8, I could transfer it to a link room TV in a few years. At the moment it would be a main room set for me, and should serve that purpose well.

It seems that a used DVD 1 would be the best bet for the time being, does anyone have any idea whether the change from phillips to pioneer drives in it has any impact on the pq? I think this happened quite late in the DVD 1's lifespan. Also, I'm not really considering a DVD 2 as it seems to have awfully poor reports. 

• 03-22-2008 2:18 PM In reply to

>>At the moment it would be a main room set for me, and should serve that purpose well.<<

I think it does, I am using it like that. I can attach 2 sources for high def which for me right now is just ATV and at some point maybe cable. I don't really see a need for more down the line. I just would stick to a B&O DVD player in that setup and not waste a STB connection for another brand. 

JK 

• 03-22-2008 3:15 PM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

I'm with jk1002; I'm going to try and find a DVD1 so that I can play the occassional DVD on the spur of the moment and still control it via the Beo 4 (like jk, my two IR blasters are committed to the Apple TV and a cable box).  Most of my DVDs, though, will go unencoded as it takes too long to do so and because I suspect that we'll soon be able to "rent" better on the internet.  Right now, I'm only encoding classics that I can watch over and over (like Apocalypse Now) and children's movies (like all the Disney DVDs that my wife purchased at considerable cost despite my objections).

Mark 

Mark D
  • 03-22-2008 3:34 PM In reply to

• Robert
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 362
    • Gold Member

Yeah, I think I will probably go for a B&O DVD player, so as to get the full integration, whilst leaving the STB connections for SKY tv and the apple TV. I don't think I could stretch to a Beocentre 2 for DVD, so more than likely will go for a DVD 1.
  • 03-22-2008 3:40 PM In reply to

• Robert
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 362
    • Gold Member

Seems we're both in the same situation Mark, wanting control over the DVD player, but already using both STB controllers for apple tv and SKY/cable. I don't think i'll bother encoding movies for use with apple tv, i did rip some tv shows for my ipod, but don't know what that will show up like on a tv screen. I think a stand alone DVD player will be fine for films and the TV series i have on DVD. You don't have any experience of the DVD1's pq Mark?
  • 03-22-2008 10:20 PM In reply to

@Mark

If you buy a DVD1 from Europe, out of the box the are region coded so they will not play US DVDs. I think they can be switched to "region free" but I do not know what that involves.

So make sure you either get a region free one or find a way to get that done.

I still think the BC2 is a very good choice even without upscaling. I don't see any issues with picture quality on my screen. I think the 720p resolution  might just be a very smart choice for most on smaller screens.

Cheers

JK 

• 03-23-2008 9:57 AM In reply to

• Robert
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 362
    • Gold Member

I found this on the Beoworld product page for DVD 1, where it states how to change the region code;

"NOTE: This method does not make the DVD1 Region-FREE. There is a limit of FOUR changes to the product over its lifetime (without professional servicing.) USE THIS INFORMATION AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Remove any CD or DVD and disconnect the power.

Press and hold << and >> on the front panel (not the remote) while reconnecting the power plug.

The current setting shows on the display.

Use << or >> on the front panel (not the remote) to change Region number.

Press PLAY to store. Wait 15 seconds until TV screen shows blue."

Reference: http://www.beoworld.org/faq_view.asp?id=78 

Hope that'll help Mark, when you get a DVD 1. 

• 03-23-2008 5:49 PM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

rsmyth,

I wish I could comment on the DVD1's pq, but I've never laid eyes on the machine, much less it's output.  Us USA-based B&O enthusiasts aren't exposed to as much B&O hardware as you European guys.

I, too, would like to hear the thoughts of others as to the picture quality as well as overall quality of the DVD1.

Mark

Mark D
  • 03-25-2008 12:48 PM In reply to

• mhw
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-29-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 207
    • Gold Member

Hello,

Check out this site; http://shop.oneremote.dk/catalog/

They sell cables that you can use to connect other DVD players (or other devices) to a B&O set, and use the Beo4 to control it!

Wouldn't that solve your problem without finding a DVD1?

Never tried it myself though… 
  • 03-25-2008 1:00 PM In reply to

• Robert
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 362
    • Gold Member

Hi,

I should be able to find a DVD 1 ok. Although this does seem like quite a good alternative. mhw, do you have any experience of the DVD 1 in use? picture quality etc.

Robert. 

• 03-26-2008 7:05 PM In reply to

• mhw
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-29-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 207
    • Gold Member

Sorry, no - I have never seen the DVD 1 in action...
  • 03-26-2008 7:31 PM In reply to

• Robert
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 362
    • Gold Member

Not to worry mhw. I've ordered a preowned DVD 1 from Lifestyle-av, which should arrive in the next few days, so I'll hook it up to my parents BV 8-26 and report back on what it's like. Had a look at the connection panel today, there ain't much room for the 2 scarts side by side in it...Does anyone know if there is any extra space in the BV 8-32 compared to the BV 8-26?

Robert. 

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >