in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-17-2008 6:47 AM by Dave0280. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-14-2008 4:15 AM

• Dave0280
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2008
    • Birmingham, UK
    • Posts 126
    • Gold Member

Varying prices for the Beo5 from dealers!?

Hi all - after messing around with one of these remotes when in my local dealership the other day i decided I really want one (funny that!!) so I rang round a few dealers close to me - the prices varied from £310 to £340 if supplied 'naked' out of the box. Some went to £400+ if programmed to my requirements!! I know its a lovely piece of kit but over £400 is ridiculous, especially as the software has lots of niggles and dealers are forever being called to update and reprogramme these things!! It is definitely making me think twice now - shame as its a great feature and talking point for any room.......

Dave - Birmingham, UK
  • 03-16-2008 6:47 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Re: Varying prices for the Beo5 from dealers!?

I too have seen them from £300 to £480, but as B&O cannot set new prices it's up to the individual dealer how much they charge.

The Beo5 does take a lot of setting up, and when bought with a complete set-up that has plenty of margin for the dealer the time can be offset. However, just walking in to buy one 'cold' for say £300 then having the dramas of programming (and for most dealers it IS a drama) then the profit margin isn't really worth it (looking from a purely business perspective).

That's the short-sighted view.  Now, on the other hand - here's a chance to make a friend and build a customer, and explain the wonders of what the Beo5 can actually do.. hopefully leading on to more sales.  We may all find that B&O dealers have a little extra time on their hands at present as business in all retail sectors seems slow (in the UK anyway) - so maybe now is the time to buy one!

£400 for a remote.. i see your point.  However, you can pay £400 for a designer jumper these days - or you could spend almost twice that on a Serene.. ahem..

Lee

Smile 

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 03-16-2008 7:43 AM In reply to

£400 doesn't seem so bad to someone who bought a Beolink 7000 new in 1991 - I also bought a Beocenter 9500 so I had something to work! The Beolink 7000 cost £615 which in today's money would be £960. The Beo5 seems a bit more of a bargain!

I agree completely with Lee though - the first programming session should be seen by dealers as a way to get to know their customers. The remote encourages further purchases - but not if the customer is ripped off. Most dealers are not that busy at present - get programming!! 

• 03-17-2008 4:28 AM In reply to

• Dave0280
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2008
    • Birmingham, UK
    • Posts 126
    • Gold Member

I must admit I agree with Peter, its a great way of getting people to buy more B&O as its an awesome piece of kit and the first programming session should be Free Of Charge. Its just that i'm thinking of buying a 32" Avant and you can get one with a Beo4 for less than a Beo5 but as Lee said you can blow £400 on a designer jumper these days or it would even buy you a car so its all relative..... Relative or not, i still bloody want oneDevil

Dave - Birmingham, UK
  • 03-17-2008 6:05 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Another factor to be taken into consideration when noticing different prices.
    Some dealers sell the charger/dock seperately, and some appear to include it in the price.
    I find this hard to understand, as a Beo5 without a charger is like a fiddler without a bow or a Beovision 8 without a remote!

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 03-17-2008 6:47 AM In reply to

• Dave0280
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2008
    • Birmingham, UK
    • Posts 126
    • Gold Member

Quoting without the charger is a bit naughty!! Will keep that in mind if I do go ahead.... Cheers Andy.
    Dave - Birmingham, UK
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)