in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-24-2008 12:28 PM by Flappo The Grate. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-06-2008 1:28 PM

Mac Mini & ipod touch as a remote - a couple of questions?

I currently use my Mac Mini to play music (itunes) via Airport Express with Airtunes connected to my BC9500 which I love to use and the sound quality is ok for me.  I have read with interest of the last few months about the iRed software and think that it is a fantastic idea and would like to take advantage of this facility.

My Mac Mini is operating with OS X 10.4.11

I have a copy of Leopard but have not yet installed it.

I have also not purchased an ipod or the iRed software.

So Before I proceed can I call upon the considerable knowledge on the Beoworld forum to advise me?

Question1

Should I install Leapord, have the compatability problems with iRed been resolved yet?

Question 2 

Unless I am making a really silly mistake I am currently unable to connect to the internet and my Airport base at the  same time, I have to select one or the other.  So, If i install the iRed software will I be able to connect to the Airport base (to listen to the music) and the iPod (remote control) at the same time some how? 

Question 3

Sorry if this seems really basic but I just want to be sure............My understanding is that if I have an iPod Touch and I install the iRed software on my Mac Mini I will then be able to listen to itunes throughout my home via the BC9500 and use the iPod Touch as a remote control.  i.e sit in my dining room (which is linked to the BC9500) and scroll via coverflow on my iPod Touch to choose my listening?

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated as I am really keen to try this.

Many thanks in anticipation

Peter G 

• 03-06-2008 1:57 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Re: Mac Mini & ipod touch as a remote - a couple of questions?

PeterG:

Question 2 

I am currently unable to connect to the internet and my Airport base at the  same time, I have to select one or the other.  

When you set up the AAE you should chose to join your existing wireless network 

• 03-06-2008 1:59 PM In reply to

Thanks britops, is there an easy way to fix this retrospectively?
  • 03-06-2008 2:02 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

PeterG:
    Thanks britops, is there an easy way to fix this retrospectively?

Yes in Utilites look for the Airport Utility.

Stick a pin in the AAE reset button for about 10 secs to reset it. The instruction are on Apples web site somewhere but it is pretty straight forward. 

try this link 

or here for the user guide 

• 03-06-2008 2:13 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

I have iMac/Airport Express connected to my Beosound 4 and i use Front Row (with the help of Airfoil) with the Apple Remote to listen my music. 

I also have an iPod Touch and would like to use it instead of the Apple remote. I'm sure its easy but I've not got round to trying it yet. Good luck. If you work it out please make a step by step easy to follow instruction guide for the rest of us.

• 03-06-2008 6:24 PM In reply to

I currently use my Mac Mini to play music (itunes) via Airport Express with Airtunes connected to my BC9500 which I love to use and the sound quality is ok for me.  I have read with interest of the last few months about the iRed software and think that it is a fantastic idea and would like to take advantage of this facility.

My Mac Mini is operating with OS X 10.4.11

I have a copy of Leopard but have not yet installed it.

I have also not purchased an ipod or the iRed software.

So Before I proceed can I call upon the considerable knowledge on the Beoworld forum to advise me?

Question1

Should I install Leapord, have the compatability problems with iRed been resolved yet?

Still waiting. This is the site http://www.filewell.com/iRed2/

And you don't need iRed to control the Mac mini with an iPod Touch. iRed and irTrans is for controlling the components, switching them on/off, etc. 

Question 2 

Unless I am making a really silly mistake I am currently unable to connect to the internet and my Airport base at the  same time, I have to select one or the other.  So, If i install the iRed software will I be able to connect to the Airport base (to listen to the music) and the iPod (remote control) at the same time some how? 

If the advice you received doesn't resolve the issue, then redo your setup. Just press the reboot button on the Airport base.

But are you certain that your ethernet from the router is connected to the right port in your Airport base station? 

Question 3

Sorry if this seems really basic but I just want to be sure............My understanding is that if I have an iPod Touch and I install the iRed software on my Mac Mini I will then be able to listen to itunes throughout my home via the BC9500 and use the iPod Touch as a remote control.  i.e sit in my dining room (which is linked to the BC9500) and scroll via coverflow on my iPod Touch to choose my listening?

You need Remote Buddy, which you can download from the internet and activate. You won't need iRed.
    You'll be set in a few minutes once you've downloaded and purchased Remote Buddy.

http://www.iospirit.com/index.php?mode=view&obj_type=infogroup&obj_id=24&o_infogroup_objcode=infogroup-23&sid=5889965G84ef50e7d676c3ca

• 03-07-2008 3:13 AM In reply to

Thanks Soundproof that seems to clarify some points nicely.  So to the next step…..If I am only going to install Remote Buddy should I also install Leopard? 

Are the advantages of  Ired greater than that of having Leopard on my Mac Mini?

With regards to my network issue, I have an Airport Express with Air tunes connected to my BC9500 for music (just fantastic) but I have now stopped using my Airport Extreme base station for internet connection as for some strange reason the router that I originally had (a very cheap Linksys) works much more reliably and a faster download time which I am disappointed at to be honest! This I think prevents me from setting the air tunes to “joint existing wireless network” as suggested by Britops.

Peter G

• 03-07-2008 3:56 AM In reply to

Puzzled by your Airport base station being slow - you might want to look into the settings. I've got liquid internet and streaming video throughout the apartment after I installed mine. Look at placement also.

iRed is Leopard compatible, it's just their interaction with iPod Touch that they are working to sort out. Here's a nice add-on program to iRed functionality. Remote Buddy has similar functionality when you activate its HotKey function:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/29871 

You can use iRed/irTrans with a Beo4, controlling your B&O - but you can't use the iPod Touch/iPhone to control the components yet, still in beta and what I've seen is too cumbersome. It needs to have smooth flow.

• 03-07-2008 8:46 AM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

How do you get the software onto the iPod Touch?
  • 03-07-2008 10:27 AM In reply to

It's quite ingenious. Remote Buddy is installed in the Mac mini or other Mac you're using. See the other thread concerning iPod Touch here for the details - but the application actually sends a web-page to the Safari browser that's installed in the Touch.

This web-page then contains the active buttons you need - plus all the various displays you require - and you touch the "buttons" on the page to activate various functions.

The address for the web-page is provided during set-up of Remote Buddy (and found in Preferences), and you just set that as your favourite in the Safari browser on the Touch. Select that web page and you're off and running.

• 03-07-2008 11:06 AM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

soundproof:

The address for the web-page is provided during set-up of Remote Buddy (and found in Preferences), and you just set that as your favourite in the Safari browser on the Touch. Select that web page and you're off and running.

Thanks I missed that bit. 

• 03-24-2008 12:28 PM In reply to

amazing bit of software remote buddy

plus you can use a wii remote with it , which is a surprisingly good remote -!!!!

imagine controlling a top end mac pro system / bno set up with a wiimote !? 

popgear is grate™

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)