in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-25-2008 4:54 AM by steph. 201 replies.
Page 4 of 9 (202 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-03-2008 6:29 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Re: BS5 Any news???

No offence intended Camshaft, Linder and Russ.
    I actually like kittens.Wink

Poor me, never win owt!

• 03-03-2008 6:52 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

But Jandyt,

I love kittens!  And not just with a nice vinegar-based North Carolina style B-B-Q sauce.  Haven't you noticed my new avatar?  I have a cat which was once a kitten.  Here, let me see if I can attach a photo....

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 03-03-2008 8:21 PM In reply to

jk1002:

http://www.linn.co.uk/files/eaccc978/Linn%20Klimax.pdf

It matches the price of the Lab5. 9600 british pound. You get a 1000$ Sonus player with remot  so the b&O solution is right in the middle.

I do not know where typical price points are for B&O customers, but for me 5K is something I am comfortable with. If I lke form and function, I save up for it.

JK

This is the way I view it too JK.

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 03-03-2008 8:42 PM In reply to

Going back to the Linn. That thing, that display is not a remote. Its a Samsung Mini PC.

http://www.linn.co.uk/images/library/5bfc0a8c-.jpg

So you buy a NAS and a notepad PC and that box.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 03-04-2008 2:30 AM In reply to

jk1002:

Going back to the Linn. That thing, that display is not a remote. Its a Samsung Mini PC.

http://www.linn.co.uk/images/library/5bfc0a8c-.jpg

So you buy a NAS and a notepad PC and that box.

Big Smile  Well, we can always call it a distance commander, which is what B&O called their first "unit to control other units wirelessly at a distance" thingy.

I could have sworn it was used as a remote when it was demonstrated to me. It's got wireless and provides two-way feedback and control, in a very Sonos-like manner. The box contains the soundcard and pre-amp circuitry with connections.

• 03-04-2008 4:43 AM In reply to

• djjkroon
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Uddel, the Netherlands
    • Posts 113
    • Founder

Reading all these posts. I got realy interested in the BS5. I only use B&O for audio and have the audio (Master) linked in several rooms. I use the BeoPort, BS3000,BeoLink Passive and the Beo4. I have several CD-s in my house, some are digitalized. The most not. Why because I can't see what is playing in my linked room, using the Beo4 with N.Music is like playing random music. I never know exactly what will be the next album, because I cant see it. Wouldn't it be nice, that B&O made an Master Linked Display / IR (trans)receiver to be used in the linked rooms. So we could see what is playing and have the possibility to browse throught the digital (album) content. This combined with the BS5 would make sense. 
    Muzies, Hans Kroon
  • 03-04-2008 5:04 AM In reply to

djjkroon:
    Reading all these posts. I got realy interested in the BS5. I only use B&O for audio and have the audio (Master) linked in several rooms. I use the BeoPort, BS3000,BeoLink Passive and the Beo4. I have several CD-s in my house, some are digitalized. The most not. Why because I can't see what is playing in my linked room, using the Beo4 with N.Music is like playing random music. I never know exactly what will be the next album, because I cant see it. Wouldn't it be nice, that B&O made an Master Linked Display / IR (trans)receiver to be used in the linked rooms. So we could see what is playing and have the possibility to browse throught the digital (album) content. This combined with the BS5 would make sense. 

Clearly there are a substantial number of people looking for this kind of solution so it will be interesting to see how the BS5 performs and what it offers that is different from the competition.

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 03-04-2008 5:22 AM In reply to

• GSHaigh
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • North West UK
    • Posts 163
    • Bronze Member

Hi

Personally I am looking forward to seeing this product.  We can all guess and have our wish list,  but only time will tell.  Some of the products released lately have not really ensipred me,  BeoMedia 1 and Beo 5.  Both have the potential to be great products in the "digital age"  and I hope both are developed.  I have had my BeoMedia 1 for over a year and dispite being promised upgrades and additional features there hasn't been a single software or firmware upgrade.  I'm keen to see if the BS5 software is 'ported' to BeoMedia 1 and to see what additional functionallity it will give me.  Does anyone have any more details of the BeoMedia update?

Who know's the BS5 may encourage me to sell my BS3000 and BeoMedia 1..... Lets wait and see.

Greg

• 03-04-2008 10:26 AM In reply to

I find it humorous when one person bashes Apple for having "a billion" users and the other bashes them for having 5% market share.

I find it humorous when Apple comes out with something clever and cool and people here bash it because it's not from B&O... however if B&O had their name on it instead and put a ML port on it they'd probably think it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.  They'd talk about the incredible design of the B&O-TV and the lack of screw holes and the single consistent piece of metal that goes around it without seams and the user friendly user interface.

I find it humorous that people don't bother looking into the products that they're dissing.  MacBook Air for example.  It's less than twice as thick as the Beosound 6 at it's thickest point.  If you don't see the hype in that then look a little further.  Speaking of Beosound 6, that thing is garbage.  Who would buy that other than the hardest or hardcore B&O junkies?  It's all opinion obviously.  But my opinion is that anyone that doesn't think the iPod Touch is a better device than the BS6 must be inebriated.

Mostly it comes down to two kinds of people... the ones that happily embrace the future and what it gives us and those that are dragged kicking and screaming into the future.  I am both.  I look at all new technology and I want it... I want it right now.  New motorcycles... I want them right now.  New cars? Yes, please.  Old designs don't interest me.  They're old.  They were cool at the time, sure, but I don't like to live in the past... why should my possessions? 

However, with other stuff I do cling to the past.  Anyone that fences knows that the rules for foil changed 3 years ago.  I refuse to change.  I keep doing it the same old way.  And I lose.  Every time.

That's my point.  Fight the future and you'll lose.  You'll be the CD equivalent of that crazy guy with the 5000 alphabetically sorted LPs that doesn't own a CD player.  At least he's got the excuse that the album art is enjoyable and analog is warmer.  With a CD you don't even get that. 

• 03-04-2008 3:24 PM In reply to

The Beonic Man:

It will be interesting to see how well the BS5 sells. I hope it is a great product because in that way we can see how popular it is. I wouldn't have thought there will be many 18 year old's buying it either way. Most of B&Os new customers come onboard in their late 20s early 30s according to B&Os own statistics.

Well B&O got that one wrong too. I bought my first B&O when I was 14. To further complicate the thread however, I am a university student and I share the same opinion as Simon, so I personally do not think that age makes any difference. I don't want to control my music at home with my computer. Sure, I have and use iTunes on my laptop, but these music files are only used for my BeoSound 2, or occasionally when I want to listen to music without the luxury of my home B&O.

I buy all my music on CD, and for now I listen to all my music at home on CD only. I do not play any music on my BL3s via the BeoSound 2, or iPod as some people do. I cannot understand those who buy speakers such as BL3s or better just to play them via a 128kb file on an iPod. So if the BeoSound 5 is to be a very sophisticated hard drive music library which can play music at the same quality as a CD, then I can see this system being a great success for B&O as I know many people want such a device.

I'm sure Simon and I will leave you to have fun with the BeoSound 5 while we continue to have fun loading a different CD, waving at the doors or simply watcing the disc spin under the low glow of the lights.

The day will come when the CD is a thing of the past, but for now I am happy a step behind those who can't wait to get there hands on the latest multimedia systems. I look forward to hearing your say on the BeoSound 5 once you've bought or used one.

Smile

• 03-05-2008 2:53 AM In reply to

• djjkroon
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Uddel, the Netherlands
    • Posts 113
    • Founder

Henri, I can only say, you are right. All my digitized music is in loosless format (wav) and I use BeoPort to controll this music. We dont have a iPod or MP3 player.

When we want to listen to music we use the CD-player, on the BS3000.

We started (8 years ago) with B&O when my wife wanted new loudspeakers. She wanted small speakers like pilars. Because the ones we had were to big. We have listened to several types, but we were not satisfied. Finaly we were confrontated with BeoLab1,6000 and 8000 and we decided to buy the BeoLab8000. First we thought, this can be true, it's is to expensive. But the speakers we had were also expensive and I used them for 15 years, without any problems! I bought an used NAD pre-amp to connect the BL8000 and so we started. One year later we bought an used BC2300 and after that some other B&O stuf.

We are satisfied with what we have, but we want a more effective manner to controll our digitized music and the BS5 seems to be the solution (I hope), if not we keep on using B&O like we do now.

Muzies, Hans Kroon
  • 03-05-2008 1:00 PM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

Same for me, I dont want to start my computer or kep one up and running all day to have access to my music collection. Also a looseless format would be prefered. However, I love the concept to have easy access to  the entire music collection.  So  a Hard drive based B&O  device  would be a great solution, but a decent navigation in each room is a must.

Karsten 

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 03-07-2008 1:15 PM In reply to

Maybe the Release of the BeoSound 5 isn’t that far away …

BeoSound 5 

BeoMaster 5 

It seems that at least two parts of it passed some EMC tests.

• 03-07-2008 2:39 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I'm really really looking forward to this BeoSound/Master 5 (which sounds as though it may be a quite modular device). The issue with the BeoMedia 1 is the way in which the BeoPort interface for Windows had been adapted to work with the Beo4. It was originally designed to work with a mouse and keyboard, and 'adapting' it is never going to work.

The BS5 sounds much more exciting. With hands on control & a 'purpose designed' interface, it should be quite interesting.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 03-07-2008 8:16 PM In reply to

The Beonic Man:

Consider the amount of people that look for vintage B&O as much (if not more) than they do the newer ranges. You could interpret this in a number of ways; one of which must surely be that a considerable proportion of existing and new customers aren't too interested about the more modern digital media direction. 

I don't think that's fair, and quite honestly I find this thread to reek with elitism.  Can't a person enjoy superior sound quality without resorting to elitism or downright snobbery?  I fit fully in the category of people who seek vintage B&O more than the current ranges, and I've acquired a decent collection over the past year.  That's because I have a great record collection, and I consider vinyl superior in sound to compact discs/digital media.  With that being said, my Beosystem 5500 and my Beosystem 5000 both do a fantastic job with my records, and when I DO play a CD in my CD 50, it sounds warm and wonderful.

However, in the same breath, I absorb new music far quicker than I could ever possibly spend time in searching for new records.  It's difficult and often impossible, especially for rare releases.  My digital media, on my Apple system, works wonderfully for that.  I would much rather increase my collection of music in lossless format and play it using my iTunes library than I would stick with a collection of "old classics" on CD, simply because a system "looks good," or "is classic," or has this-or-that name brand associated with it, regardless of its competence.  

One person claimed that the Beosound 6 is awful.  While I may not agree so strongly, I DO nonetheless agree that an iPod, or an iPod touch, can perform much more, hold much more of a library, and at a fraction of the cost, to boot!  

Why does it have to be one way or the other?  Why is there such a slam on companies who offer better (yes, better) digital audio solutions than B&O?  B&O does certain things well better than the vast majority of the market, where other companies can't even compete.

I guess in short: why can't it be both ways?  Can't I enjoy certain media with my B&O and other media with my Apple solutions?  I think it's hogwash to think that one company can excel in all formats -- and that all comes back down to elitism, or just plain snobbery, if you'd prefer.

No offense. 

• 04-16-2008 7:53 AM In reply to

• Doc
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 585
    • Bronze Member

Any news?
  • 04-16-2008 9:21 AM In reply to

This fall. Stay tuned.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 04-16-2008 12:20 PM In reply to

I ish they would do a preview to get me motivated to save for it

• 04-16-2008 12:42 PM In reply to

jk1002:

B&O should preview the Beosound 5, demonstrate its capabilities and do it quickly to generate some excitement.  B&O might take a lesson from Apple.  The iPhone was shown at Macworld last year a full six months before it was released.  I purchased 2 iPhones on the day it was released and was very pleased.

For now I like the Apple TV not only for the functionality but also for the price.  Beosound 5 will have to be a very compelling product for $5000 to $6000. 

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 04-16-2008 1:34 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

jk1002:

me too, could someone do a rough sketch. 

• 04-16-2008 2:32 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

linder:

jk1002:

B&O should preview the Beosound 5, demonstrate its capabilities and do it quickly to generate some excitement.  B&O might take a lesson from Apple.  The iPhone was shown at Macworld last year a full six months before it was released.  I purchased 2 iPhones on the day it was released and was very pleased.

For now I like the Apple TV not only for the functionality but also for the price.  Beosound 5 will have to be a very compelling product for $5000 to $6000. 

I think they should do this too. I'm very optimistic about the 'BeoSound 5' - it sounds as though it's going to be a pretty special piece of kit.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-16-2008 3:47 PM In reply to

• Doc
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 585
    • Bronze Member

This fall. Stay tuned.

Where/how did you get that info?!

It differs from earlier mentioned april/may.....................

• 04-16-2008 5:33 PM In reply to

April/May was dropped when they let Torben go. In the PR release it said, one of their key audio systems was delayed which was the BS5.

I am expeting not much more then what Sonos does, but a nicer remote and few other clever features.

Only concern I have is, that it will not work with my Mac and I am not talking about it not supporting lossless or AAC but that it doesn't integrate with itunes.

I think though they have that down, since they have that Itunes Plug in.

• 04-16-2008 8:09 PM In reply to

A sketch? Not wise for those in a position to do so. 

As for a preview, you'll probably have one after the new BeoVision 4 / BeoLab 10 launch is complete. Though the product has been delayed, there is plenty of it to give a tantalizing sneak peak. Anyways, I don't think B&O is capable of keeping a secret for that long. Knowing how many people on this forum have seen it in one form or another besides myself, I'm amazed we've been able to maintain our silence. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 04-16-2008 9:21 PM In reply to

I don't think a scetch buys anything. I think we know already it's a black box on one end and a 2 way remote type device on the other that will have a wheel similar to BC2 - picture was posted here from that stars of christmas promotion. Question is if an how it integrates with PC and MAC and how you manage and navigate the content.

Qoute from an older post: 

"Well this is what we saw yesterday. The same size as BS4 but don´t compare design. It´s more like a tablet PC with a big screen. I think you can operate BS5 at this screen but we were not told. It has a big nav. wheel in alu placed in the right side. From the video shown I understood this wheel is for navigating through your music collection etc. In the corners at the buttom alu wheels known from BS4. It´s placed in a 30 degree angel on a black "foot"" 

I was as very keen on the BS3200 when it came out - when I realized how one would use it I nixed it. I am hoping they get this right.

Page 4 of 9 (202 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »