in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-08-2008 2:32 AM by Flappo The Grate. 179 replies.
Page 4 of 8 (180 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-01-2008 2:12 PM In reply to

Re: Is it worth buying a B&O TV anymore? A thought for the day.

-

• 03-01-2008 2:49 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Not entirely fair Peter,

Consider the depth of any other manufacturer's motorized floor stand for their LCD TV's, and I think you'll find them to be similar in size.

Big Smile

B&O have chosen to allow the spce needed to turn and tilt the TV to dictate the size of the stands and bracket.  The width of the screen, then, dicttes how far from the wall the set must be.  If you look at some of the STBracket products for the 7, you'll notice how flat they can be.  Keep that image in mind while considering the space needed to place a 40" Sony LCD, DVD player and 7.2 receiver on your wall, or table-top.

Russ

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 03-01-2008 3:06 PM In reply to

Richard Ridyard:
    This is true but compared to some of the other LCD T.V's on the market it is slim not forgetting how much technology is in it.

Oh I agree - I do think the BV7-40 is quite a set. but I comment more on the failings of the genre - we were sold LCD in particular on size and picture quality. With an SD source, I still think CRT has the edge on quality with LCD now starting to show an advantage on HD signals - which are few and far between. And once you have factored in a stand, the size difference is marginal.

No my major gripe is that most sets look the same these days - the Beolab 7.1 and 7.2 do at least  differentiate the sets a bit. I have an Avant DVD and an AV9000 both of which still evoke awe from guests - let's face it, the Avant could be a flat screen but an unusually designed one from the front.

I will go flat screen for my next set though probably plasma. I am probably lucky in one respect though! I have developed a rare eye condition and by the time I need a new set, a non HD BV5 will probably be more than adequate! Laughing 

• 03-01-2008 11:37 PM In reply to

Richard Ridyard:
    This is true but compared to some of the other LCD T.V's on the market it is slim not forgetting how much technology is in it.

so much hi-tech but freeview , which is standard issue on every tv set around , is an optional extra ?

it's little obvious things like that , not dvd trays that can lift an elephant that really matter to the average joe methinx

i can imagine the scenario when a prospective buyer pops into a bno shop and is about to buy a bv7 then finds out that  he has to add a box on the back , losing an expansion port and creating a bloomin mess into the bargain

popgear is grate™

• 03-02-2008 2:31 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Flappo The Grate:

Richard Ridyard:

so much hi-tech but freeview , which is standard issue on every tv set around , is an optional extra ?

it's little obvious things like that , not dvd trays that can lift an elephant that really matter to the average joe methinx

i can imagine the scenario when a prospective buyer pops into a bno shop and is about to buy a bv7 then finds out that  he has to add a box on the back , losing an expansion port and creating a bloomin mess into the bargain

I can understand why an individual would buy the BV7- its more compact dimensions suit most situations and it dles look rather nice- with a motorised stand. The materials used give the impression of quality and if one wants to pay £7K for that fair enough.

However, to call this LCD with a pretty poor samsung panel -'high tech' is way short of the mark. And now we even have posts indicating is the broadcasters, the transmission , the compresion- anything other than the problem it really is- the product itself and the price charged fo- especially with that samsung panel.

one poster referred to the fact that when guests come and the tv is not swtiched on , said individuals are very impressed with he wasy it looks- if thats what rocks your boat fair enough! Still all is well now with the latest software update bringing the sharpness funtion onto the user menu- so one can dumb down the panel for SD! and some user maintaining that reducing this setting by 2 ticks has bought about a miraculous change to the quality of SD and its no longer an issue.

I think it comes to the fact that when one has made te purchase ultimately one will do anything to defend it- each to his own but it wouldbe nice if the comments were factual-this is the same with cars of course

• 03-02-2008 4:56 AM In reply to

355f:
    Flappo The Grate:

Richard Ridyard:

I can understand why an individual would buy the BV7- its more compact dimensions suit most situations and it dles look rather nice- with a motorised stand. The materials used give the impression of quality and if one wants to pay £7K for that fair enough.

I think it comes to the fact that when one has made te purchase ultimately one will do anything to defend it- each to his own but it wouldbe nice if the comments were factual-this is the same with cars of course

If you would like to know... 

The purchase of our BV7-32 first edition was a purely emotional one. 

Love at first sight. 

• 03-02-2008 5:12 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

355f:

However, to call this LCD with a pretty poor samsung panel -'high tech' is way short of the mark. And now we even have posts indicating is the broadcasters, the transmission , the compresion- anything other than the problem it really is- the product itself and the price charged fo- especially with that samsung panel.

355F, there is s MASSIVE difference between the existing BV7-32 and the BV7-40 MKIII. To regard the BV7-40 MKIII panel is 'pretty poor' and that the stand and materials give impression of quality, but not the picture, would be factually incorrect. I'm not sure if you're simply referring to the BV7-32 in your post.

I know you work in this industry, but so do I (indirectly) and did a lot of homework before making the decision to purchase. With true HD signals I defy you to find a better picture. With upscaled SD content (say, through Channel 4 HD), it's again superb. With basic SD, it's fine. The only thing that lets down this TV is SD-based football....but that affects every LCD TV. I've seen far worse with Sony, Samsung and Sharp panels.

Yes, the BV7-32 could do with an update and is an expensive TV for the included components, but hopefully this will follow soon.

• 03-02-2008 7:09 AM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

I think it comes to the fact that when one has made to purchase ultimately one will do anything to defend it- each to his own but it would be nice if the comments were factual-this is the same with cars of course

Geez, along with the expertise in consumer electronics and engineering comes social psychologist?  How about internet troll?  355f, you continually do exactly what you are saying.  Then you slam people for being happy with their decision because they aren't spec junkies and didn't buy the Pioneer Kujo or whatever it is.  And you then you use your considerable ability to insult while appearing helpful toward any persons' reason for buying other than your own.  Check the freaking mirror, por favor.     

I am totally convinced that 355f is convinced that Bang & Olufsen TV's are a total ripoff and will not be satisfied until EVERY B&O video owner admits her/his total lack of intelligence and childish buying habits.  And because I am an ignorant American and B&O fanboy, I don't have to defend myself.  I will take my upcoming suspension like a man.  

But every cloud has a silver lining.  The last 3 "BeoVisions S***" threads convinced me to upgrade to Gold.  I realize at some point in life, you SHOULD put your money where your mouth is.  r

• 03-02-2008 7:41 AM In reply to

I'm mystified by this thread.

If we all made rational buying decisions then there wouldn't be any premium brands, and we'd all be vacationing in Las Palmas - maybe.
    I have numerous items in my possession that are irrational acquisitions, many of which functionally are inferior to other items available but that are superior due to a combination of factors.

My BV8 is a case in point. No - it doesn't have all the doodah's, such as in-built digital tuner and whatnot. But where I live you have to use an STB, and the way I have set up my a/v I don't need a built in digital tuner. What I did want was a great looking - to my eyes - television that is a sculpture, and that goes together with my Beosystem 6500 like you wouldn't believe. It's superb - and correctly set up it has a brilliant picture, as well. And I regularly go from my Kuro plasma in the viewing room to my office where I have the BV8, and I'm not saying: "Oh, what a terrible picture." Far from it - it's very good, though can't be viewed from the sides with the same latitude, but that's not what I got that TV for.

B&O has a strong premium brand heritage, hopefully a solid dealer support network and some iconoclastic and quite wonderful products. They dropped the ball on digital integration because of their proprietary BeoLink, and that has them hurrying to catch up, but apart from that?

Show me other speakers on the market, as wonderfully shaped and of similar craftsmanship. And the acoustic lens ones sound absolutely outstanding.

The BeoVision 7 is a beautiful, beautiful and amazingly built television. It's another sculpture for the living room - and it does a combination of things very well - offering an all-in-one package that no other manufacturer comes close to.
    Yes - there are some  weak spots, chiefly driven by the mad rush to Full-HD. SD looks shitty on other Full-HD screens, as well.

Just as with any other brand or product to which one has formed a connection, there are things I'm trusting B&O will improve in the future, but overall their product line-up is strong. They should take a look at where they are committing the flaw of me-too, and rather continue with their totally idiosyncratic solutions.

When B&O has its stuff in order in digital, the package will be complete. But some of the posts here are unbelievably down on the brand and its efforts.
    Premium brands don't have to chase the latest. Purdey doesn't bother with nanotech stocks and over-under repeater shotguns, for a reason. Yes, when you're providing people with A/V content you get more pressure as far as keeping track is concerned, but it's not as if B&O is making black-and-white TVs, or?

Some people should let up a bit, methinks.

(Yes, I own a Kuro screen. Flatscreens are a rectangle with a frame around them. As the Beosystem 3 doesn't have digital out I decided not to go that route and instead aimed for an HD-ready (don't need anything higher) screen with excellent spec's. In comparison to the BV4, the BV8 is a philosophy of shape and function that I bought into immediately. Maybe there's a cue in there somewhere.)

• 03-02-2008 7:42 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

'And because I am an ignorant American'- well you said it - not I.

For your information im not slamming anybody neither am I suggesting everyone buys a kuro!

As it happens Im not a 'spec junkie' either but many on here are and have decided to make the purchase of a BV7 anyway- good for them.

Ive been fortunate to own virtually all the B&O products over the years  and I have 'put my money where my mouth is' and bought the latest products to,- every single one of them, and they have left me dissapointed. Having seen the other side of the coin I admit to being frustrated where Bang & Olufsen as a company are presently and more importantly where they are going.

An internet forum such as this should be about differing views and if one finds a post unacceptable one can choose not to read it, or dismiss it as uninformed rubbish. So I really fail to see what the problem is and why one chooses to make it more personal - but each to their own.

It is unfortunate that this last post has touched a 'raw nerve' for you in ordre to prvoke this kind of response but - as the english say- 'lets rise above it'

• 03-02-2008 9:04 AM In reply to

This thread is really starting to harsh my mellow. The kittens wish that the BeoVision 8 had a surround sound module, but they also wish that the paper bag on the kitchen floor had a yarn module. They realize they can't have everything and don't dwell on it.

The kittens think everyone should go sit by the window and drink a glass of orange juice.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 03-02-2008 9:06 AM In reply to

"Arise my friends..."

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 03-02-2008 9:30 AM In reply to

I find it interesting that most people that posted here are so after picture quality. I pay the premium for design, for me a TV is not much more then a pice of furniture.

Sound is a different story. 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 03-02-2008 11:12 AM In reply to

symmes:

I think it comes to the fact that when one has made to purchaseultimately one will do anything to defend it- each to his own but itwould be nice if the comments were factual-this is the same with cars ofcourse

Geez, along with the expertise in consumer electronics and engineering comes social psychologist?  How about internet troll?  355f, you continually do exactly what you are saying.  Then you slam people for being happy with their decision because they aren't spec junkies and didn't buy the Pioneer Kujo or whatever it is.  And you then you use your considerable ability to insult while appearing helpful toward any persons' reason for buying other than your own.  Check the freaking mirror, por favor.     

I am totally convinced that 355f is convinced that Bang & Olufsen TV's are a total ripoff and will not be satisfied until EVERY B&O video owner admits her/his total lack of intelligence and childish buying habits.  And because I am an ignorant American and B&O fanboy, I don't have to defend myself.  I will take my upcoming suspension like a man.  

But every cloud has a silver lining.  The last 3 "BeoVisions S***" threads convinced me to upgrade to Gold.  I realize at some point in life, you SHOULD put your money where your mouth is.  r

A sad day for Beoworld. What is the point of a forum if it is not for reasoned debate and discussion? Either we decide to kill the forum off by agreeing to never discuss anything that could possibly be contentious, or we agree that by accessing this forum we're at least tacitly accepting that there may be some content here that we might disagree with/might upset us.

No point throwing your toys out of the pram....or hitting the caps lock key....or spanking the italicisation....when you can vote with your feet.

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 03-02-2008 11:16 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Craig:

Looks like this could be one long dabate.

Looks as though I was right.Laughing

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 03-02-2008 11:35 AM In reply to

Actually I value all opinions on here. I think 355f often has very pertinent opinions and we have to acknowledge that everything made by B&O is not perfect.

However on balance, I prefer buying B&O products than any other make as the combination of design and performance meets my needs. I don't agree with everything any one person  says on site but I respect their right to say it and am pleased that they feel able to post. I know B&O value constructive criticism rather than sycophancy and I think this site manages to strike a reasonable balance.

If people don't agree with a point of view, please feel free to say so, but try not to resort to personal abuse. It isn't necessary! And remember that your opinion is as valid as anyone else's - whether you have posted 4000 times or not at all! 

• 03-02-2008 3:02 PM In reply to

Thoughtful words Peter. I tend toward the sycophancy you described. It takes the kittens to balance out my views sometimes. I look often to their basket for wisdom and guidance in these complicated times.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 03-02-2008 3:36 PM In reply to

-

• 03-02-2008 3:45 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Richard Ridyard:
    I would still maintain the view that it is still worth buying a B&O TV. We do only use the top 2% of grade A screens that are produced, find me someone else who does that. Again the aluminum is such a big feature that some people seem to be forgetting how difficult it is in producing that. The finishing touches are superb on the BV7 the light on the DVD tray is great again who else does that on a TV.

This is interesting, the global plamsa market is worth $10bln for 2008 and panasonic( which is he base of the bv4 )have a substantial slice of that. I have been to the panasonic factory. Please explain the procedure that Bang &Olufsen use when 'selecting only the top2% of panels in a factory that produces many millions of units a year?? do they send a man in a white coat- well take 'that one'??

As for LCD if they only pick the top 2% of production they would not go near the samsung plant for a start.

• 03-02-2008 3:46 PM In reply to

I would certainly buy one - if I needed one. I wouldn't give up the convenience or the build quality. I think the BV9 would be my choice though it is a bit large.
  • 03-02-2008 4:06 PM In reply to

--

• 03-02-2008 4:14 PM In reply to

TripEnglish:
    Thoughtful words Peter. I tend toward the sycophancy you described. It takes the kittens to balance out my views sometimes. I look often to their basket for wisdom and guidance in these complicated times.

I just went to the dealer and bought a BeoVision 7-40.

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 03-02-2008 4:24 PM In reply to

Re: Is it worth buying a B&amp;O TV anymore? A thought for the day.

Go on!!! You soul searched for weeks! I am sure many giving you advice consulted kittens! I certainly discussed the case regularly with Boris - a more sober source of advice!

• 03-02-2008 4:27 PM In reply to

Unsure

• 03-02-2008 4:46 PM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

A BeoVision is much more than the sum of its parts - to me. I have owned most of the BeoVision 7's released to date, but I am currently enjoying a BV9 in the main room. The way B&O stick to their "never look up at a television picture, never straight at it - but slightly down" is worth a lot to me. The BeoVision 5 addressed the problem seen on almost every MTV Cribs: Plasma's mounted sky high because they look cool up there, not sitting on a wall just above the floor. The BV5 have the screen at the correct height and still look the part. Clever.

And a black 7-40 with a black BeoLab 7-2 placed so that the ambient light will highlight the black alu texture is still the most beautifull tv I have ever seen.

The BV8 is cool in a casual way, packs a great picture without the need of adding a speaker / amp package from the local supermarket. Sound AND picture in one product at a fair price.

Integration with a clever twist is what you pay for, the sub zero cool design is just a bonus. Most other brands have another policy, and as a result B&O products are not for most people. Which is fair - I only hope B&O can survive, we clearly do not need another Sony company on the A/V scene Smile

Roger

Page 4 of 8 (180 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »