in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-29-2008 7:10 PM by a2bur. 37 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-26-2008 11:12 PM In reply to

Re: BV7-40 MKIII - what happened to the SD pixelisation fix?

moxxey:
    BTW, sorry if I wasn't clear....when I said 'a LOT longer', above, I meant since it has been upgraded to sw 4.01. Sky HD used to start immediately - within a couple of seconds of pressing the button on the Beo4. Now it's around 10-12 seconds!

If the set top box is connected to the TV using an HDMI cable, the connection time is longer because of the handshaking protocol required. Concerning the pixelisation problem, no software upgrade in the TV will be able to solve it, as this is clearly a symptom of overcompression of the original signal by the cable company. An image processing algorithm cannot recover information that was not present at the beginning.

Customers should complain to the cable company, especially for sports channels where compression issues are clearly visible. A properly encoded digital SD signal should be of DVD quality.

Jean

• 02-27-2008 2:50 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

You didn't read the thread - it's from the Playstation 3. Others experience the problem with Blu-ray playback.

Also, the other problem isn't HDCP handshaking as before the sw update Sky was displayed in around 2 seconds, wheras it's now around 10 seconds.

• 02-27-2008 4:21 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

jvezina:

moxxey:
    BTW, sorry if I wasn't clear....when I said 'a LOT longer', above, I meant since it has been upgraded to sw 4.01. Sky HD used to start immediately - within a couple of seconds of pressing the button on the Beo4. Now it's around 10-12 seconds!

If the set top box is connected to the TV using an HDMI cable, the connection time is longer because of the handshaking protocol required. Concerning the pixelisation problem, no software upgrade in the TV will be able to solve it, as this is clearly a symptom of overcompression of the original signal by the cable company. An image processing algorithm cannot recover information that was not present at the beginning.

Customers should complain to the cable company, especially for sports channels where compression issues are clearly visible. A properly encoded digital SD signal should be of DVD quality.

Jean

Why is the connection time longer? and why is it that with every other product  that uses HDMI there is no issue. The 'handshake' takes about 1 second! 

If the pixelisation is the fault of the cable company why is it other brands dont suffer to the same degree??

• 02-27-2008 7:46 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

355f, that's exactly what I've said above (ie. we know it's only an issue with the B&O BV7-40 MKIII).
  • 02-27-2008 9:51 PM In reply to

355f:

Why is the connection time longer? and why is it that with every other product  that uses HDMI there is no issue. The 'handshake' takes about 1 second! 

If the pixelisation is the fault of the cable company why is it other brands dont suffer to the same degree??

I own the North American version of the Beovision-7, so it's possible that the behaviour is somewhat different.

If I have the TV on, the DVD recorder on (upscaling to 1080i, connected with HDMI), and the set top box on (same settings as the DVD recorder, also HDMI), here are my own timings.

From TV (analogue) to V.MEM (set-top box) : 6 seconds

From TV to DVD2 (DVD recorder): 6 seconds

From DVD2 or V.MEM to TV (analogue)  3-4 seconds.

From any source to DTV (ATSC tuner) 3-4 seconds.

So the extra switching time caused by the HDMI handshaking protocol is about 2 seconds.

Concerning pixelisation on SD channels, it is a well known problem not specific to the BV-7.

If, on Google, you type pixelisation overcompression cable as keywords, you will find plenty of complaints from cable customers.

Just an example picked at random:

http://www.dbstalk.com/archive/index.php/t-22282.html

One thing may help: If the set top box has a pass-through option for the output resolution, it is better to select it and let the TV do the upscaling. Standard resolution channels will be sent to the TV at a resolution of 720x480 pixels and the Beosystem-3 will do the upscaling itself. Upscaling done by the STB is usually very poor: when you look closely at the picture, you can still see the original definition scan lines (more visible on text). When it is done by the Beosystem 3, the text is continuous without lines.

Regards,

Jean

• 02-29-2008 10:45 AM In reply to

Just got my Bv7-40 installed and haven't got a problem with any of the picture qualities ( only been a couple of hours though ) but I would like to know that I have the latest model and have a few doubts . The serial no. on the back plate ***90669  Type 9379  Item 1818972  /  Module info. from the screen is Release Oct 23 2006 / Version 0.1.5.0  /  Module 0.3.0.0  . Can't remember how to show the software version but he showed me it when setting up and it said it was 3.5 , from previous replies it should be at least 4.0 .  Does this mean I have an older set and is there any way to tell the production date and how many hours use it's had as there are a few marks on the black ally. below the screen ?
    Richard
  • 02-29-2008 1:43 PM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

a2bur:
    Just got my Bv7-40 installed and haven't got a problem with any of the picture qualities ( only been a couple of hours though ) but I would like to know that I have the latest model and have a few doubts . The serial no. on the back plate ***90669  Type 9379  Item 1818972  /  Module info. from the screen is Release Oct 23 2006 / Version 0.1.5.0  /  Module 0.3.0.0  . Can't remember how to show the software version but he showed me it when setting up and it said it was 3.5 , from previous replies it should be at least 4.0 .  Does this mean I have an older set and is there any way to tell the production date and how many hours use it's had as there are a few marks on the black ally. below the screen ?
    Richard

Congratulations to your new TV! Is it all black or?   Have you purchased a used demo  from your dealer or a brand new one?

I had software 3.20 before i updated it to 4.01, so yours are newer than mine.. I think i must have one of the first Bv7-40 MkIII  in Europe and have
    Serial No. 20369052

BL8000 MkII Black

• 02-29-2008 3:33 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

a2bur:
    Richard

That's second hand BV7-40 MKII. The MKIII (with the BS3) was released in October 2007. Did you intend to purchase a new TV? The 4.0 sw update only applies to the MKIII, with the BS3.

• 02-29-2008 3:55 PM In reply to

I have paid for a NEW Bv7-40 Mk 111 , I'm always a bit suspicious if you get the latest model , must be tempting to shift old stock first and what would a dealer do with it if they didn't . There are some marks on the stand mount face , I can see this face as I haven't got a stand attached , it's on some service legs that go into the bottom , also some marks on the black ally. below the screen . How can I verify what mark it is and get into the service menu to see the hours ?
    Richard
  • 02-29-2008 4:10 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

a2bur:
    I have paid for a NEW Bv7-40 Mk 111 , I'm always a bit suspicious if you get the latest model , must be tempting to shift old stock first and what would a dealer do with it if they didn't . There are some marks on the stand mount face , I can see this face as I haven't got a stand attached , it's on some service legs that go into the bottom , also some marks on the black ally. below the screen . How can I verify what mark it is and get into the service menu to see the hours ?
    Richard

The easiest way to check if you have a MKIII is to see if you have HDMI sockets (it should have four). The MKII has a single DVI socket in the back, that's all. No HDMI at all!

• 02-29-2008 4:18 PM In reply to

It's got 4 HDMI sockets , but still puzzled by the 3.5  software ?
    Richard
  • 02-29-2008 5:18 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

No, it will be sw 3.5. v4 was only shipped late Jan, so your TV shipped with the latest sw at the time it was manufactured.

Very confused how you state it has a date of October 2006 though.

You don't need sw 4 unless you notice an issue with your TV. I'd hold on and wait for a future sw update before getting your TV updated - it's a 2 hour job, so your dealer won't want to come around again soon, to update to 4.03 if that's released soon.

There is no pixelisation 'fix' yet. Yes, there's a sharpness option, but that's been in the service menu from the start.

• 02-29-2008 7:10 PM In reply to

That date I mentioned of Oct 23 2006 is only in the Freeview menu , under setup then options and refers to the Module information . Is there any way I can tell when this set was made or came out of the factory ?
    Richard
Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2