in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-18-2008 12:54 PM by burantek. 40 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (41 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-14-2008 6:59 AM

• matheyl
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • French Alps
    • Posts 228
    • Founder

Beo 5 or Logitech Harmony?

Hi everyboby!

I have some doubts about the ablity of my Beo5 to control nonB&O stuff, as my decoder. My dealer told me that it was not a priority for B&O.

"Change your TVset" was the radical advice of my retailer... Indeed, my Avant is 4 years old Huh?

I'd rather change my remote, which would cheaper, and because I love my current TV!!!

Philips' Pronto are far too expensive, and I've discovered Logitech universal Harmony remote. The 1000 offers a touchscreen, advanced programing abilities, and not so bad design, although it's not comparable with the Beo5 one's.

Does anyone there have a B&O / Logitech experience, if yes, is it positive or negative?

Thank you for your feedbacks,

Laurent.

My installation :  Avant 28 dvd+ Beocenter 2+ decoder+ Wii, linked with a Beolab 2000. Beocenter 2300, Beocenter 9300.

Avant 28 DVD, BC2, 2300, BL2500, 8000, to name a few...

• 02-14-2008 7:27 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Re: Beo 5 or Logitech Harmony?

There's also the Philips Prestigo range, much cheaper still - see here for fellow Beoworlders reports.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 02-14-2008 7:42 AM In reply to

• matheyl
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • French Alps
    • Posts 228
    • Founder

Thanx,

I've considered the Prestigo as well, but it's a pain to my eyes......

Laurent.

• 02-14-2008 7:50 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Well at least with the logitech you get the configuration software and online help if your devices aren't supported "out of the box". My pal has a Logitech (although he doesn't have B&O equipment) and the help/support service helped him to configure his device for non-supported equipment (sending new files via email etc). He was very inpressed.

It also does "macro commands" whereby a single button selection will configure the TV, satellite system, surround sound system etc to suit your requirements.

It suits his needs perfectly.

• 02-14-2008 7:57 AM In reply to

The Harmony will be a pain to your brain. At least avoid the 1000, you'll thank me for it.

You might want to consider the step up from Prestigo by Philips, Pronto, if you want a real high-function kit.

I'm very happy with my Prestigo, and I'm using it in the dark. Actually doesn't look that bad.

• 02-14-2008 9:23 AM In reply to

i have a harmony 880 -the best a/v purchase i ever made!

after some tweaking up front -it is flawless.

i would do some research though -they have limited beo functionality at least w/ the older (pre beo4) equipment -and perhaps w/ the later as well...

as your equipment is newer -you may be ok -but do research it.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 02-14-2008 12:06 PM In reply to

I can't really speak to other universal remotes specifically, but I would recommend putting off any high dollar purchases until the Beo 5 is fully mature. The Beo 5, like the iPhone, is essentially a vehicle for software, which will undoubtedly change and mature with time.

Beyond that nebulous statement, though, we do know a few things:

3rd party communication is possible. It may be a full year before serious development begins, but it will. There is no question.

End-user access is coming. Again, this may be a while, but it is planned. At this point the Beo 5 is more a new concept than a new product, like the BeoMedia. As they mature, development will roll on more quickly and more comprehensively. Right now having programmed quite a few remotes, the software is remarkably easy for people who understand how the Beo 4 "works" (I don't mean what buttons to press, I mean literally what it's saying to the products). It's highly graphical and drag & drop simple. Like I said though, all the GUIs and dragging & dropping in the world doesn't make people understand the nuts and bolts of the Beo 4, which is currently what's required for anything beyond basic programming and channel icons. This will change though, just be patient!

Hopefully this helps. None of this info is really top secret, but it's also nothing that B&O want to put firm dates on yet.

Good luck! 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 02-14-2008 1:10 PM In reply to

relative to costs:

my harmony 880 retails for ~$299 in the states.

i got mine NIB for $109 on ebay...

the seller had other logitech items and may still be selling them -i'd have to look that up though -and i'd be happy to share if anyone was interested.
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 02-14-2008 4:52 PM In reply to

B&O have just released a big software update on the Beo 5, I got it and now all the stb-c commands are on the display so you don`t have to use the "menu" button. It also fixes a lot of other problems I`ve been told. Mine controlls my PS3 also, so I`m happy with it Smile

See hear feel B&O.

• 02-14-2008 5:27 PM In reply to

Hello,

Doesn't B&O remote control uses a slightly different IR beam than conventional remote controls (I thought I read somewhere?) Are the Logitech and Philips able to be programmed to emit Beo4 compatible IR signals?

Thanks.

Beomud

• 02-14-2008 6:37 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

See previous link (earlier in thread) to Philips Prestigo remote and operation with B&O devices.

• 02-14-2008 8:10 PM In reply to

Great! Thanks Puncher!
  • 02-15-2008 1:15 AM In reply to

• kees
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Posts 9
    • Bronze Member

Stay away from the Beo5: I bought one and after just a few days I used it less and less. The dealer has so far unable/unwilling to set it up properly (4 months after purchase) but, more importantly for the long run, it does not feel as comfortable to operate as for example a beo4. The remotes you mention are much more in line with the beo4 and should be more comfortable to operate than the Beo5. One of the strenths of B&O (ease of use) seems to be lost with the beo5 both from a viewpoint of ergonomics and software.

• 02-15-2008 3:19 AM In reply to

• matheyl
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • French Alps
    • Posts 228
    • Founder

I agree with that, the Beo5 is nice to look at, but not to use. As many retailers consider they cannot configure it, it is far less savvy  than a Beo4...

Mine is 5 months old, and has seen less ans less use...

Laurent.

• 02-15-2008 9:45 AM In reply to

• Pushkin
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • London
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

I totally agree in relation to the beo5 - having now used it for 5 months, I am back with the beo 4.  I tried a harmony 1000 as well but once you have gone past the wow factor, it is nowhere need as easy or satisfying to use as the beo 4 (imho)
  • 02-15-2008 10:42 AM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

Personally, i don't care that much about Beo5.

What i'm waiting for is a B&O remote that is robust,

easy to use, compatible with current and older B&O products.

More like a modern Beolink 1000.

• 04-20-2008 3:03 PM In reply to

• 04-20-2008 3:53 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

The Beo5 will be capable of controlling 3rd party devices once B&O has updated the software to do so. The provisions are already there, it just doesn't function correctly at the moment.

I would hold off until the Beo5 has fully shown it's potential. The hardware is far ahead of anything else I've used, and the software is pretty nifty too. The config tool is full of bugs, but when it works it's brilliant. They just need to iron the issues out and it'll work a dream.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-20-2008 5:49 PM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

My Logitech Harmony 550 is one of the lower end Logitech remotes, but it controls my beosystem 4500 perfectly.  I'm very happy with it, but haven't tried it with any of the modern B&O systems.

Austin 

-Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 04-20-2008 6:02 PM In reply to

camshaft:

My Logitech Harmony 550 is one of the lower end Logitech remotes, but it controls my beosystem 4500 perfectly.  I'm very happy with it, but haven't tried it with any of the modern B&O systems.

I believe it would work just fine - the culprit is the 455 kHz carrier frequency, which is almost exclusively used by B&O and isn't implemented in most universal remotes (and they often warn about it). The IR codes themselves should not be much of a problem, if the basis works.

-mika

• 04-20-2008 6:30 PM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

Is there any good reason why that don't make the Beo5 operate the programmable and two-way features of the 90's systems?  It'd be nice if rather than having to find an old beolink 5000 or 7000 to access the full potential of systems like the 4500, 6500, and 7000, you could do so with the modern remotes.

• 04-20-2008 7:15 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

camshaft:

Is there any good reason why that don't make the Beo5 operate the programmable and two-way features of the 90's systems?  It'd be nice if rather than having to find an old beolink 5000 or 7000 to access the full potential of systems like the 4500, 6500, and 7000, you could do so with the modern remotes.

Simply because their current product range doesn't contain any 2-way products.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-20-2008 7:53 PM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

But it seems like something that would cost hardly anything to add, while making it appeal to people who already have older systems.  Eh, I'm just fooling myself.  I know marketing doesn't really work that way.  Just wishful thinking.
  • 04-20-2008 9:33 PM In reply to

hmmm...

as mentioned earlier in this thread... i am a very happy owner of a harmony 880.

it "interacts" in a pseudo 2-way fashion w/ my non b&o goods, by asking simple questions, and auto-offering potential simple responses that 90% of the time work.

not classical 2-way, but it does work, and rather simply i may add... 

• B&o bottle opener
  • 04-20-2008 9:58 PM In reply to

I've often thought that the old two-way products were a bit gimmicky. I do, however, think that two-way could get a new lease on life in an era of digital media. It seems that operation of a BeoPort or BeoMedia in a room with no tv or computer can potentially be a bit daunting. I generally counsel clients to create playlists and stick to those in "blind" link rooms as opposed to taking on the entire collection. 

However, even a bit of screen like on the Beo 5 would be ample to allow navigation. The iPod gets by with smaller text and a smaller screen in some cases and it is made to work. I guess the issue becomes whether 2-way hardware really is difficult to implement and whether the BeoSound 5 and the ancillary new products it will bring with it will make this unnecessary (which I've heard is a strong possibility).

No harm in wishful thinking, though.    

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

Page 1 of 2 (41 items) 1 2 Next >